Start by marking “Notes from the Backseat” as Want to Read:
Notes from the Backseat

Jody Gehrman

Notes from the Backseat

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  304 ratings  ·  34 reviews
I thought I knew everything about Gwen Matson. We've been best friends since sophomore year at Analy High. I know her to be smart and confident with a retro style that would give Jackie O a run for her money--albeit a graceful, sweat-free run in kitten heels.

Not once did she ever display a rabid need to record every detail of her existence. But never before had she gone on
ebook
Published June 1st 2012 by Red Dress Ink (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Notes from the Backseat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Notes from the Backseat

Elusive
As the title itself implies, ‘Notes From The Backseat’ is about Gwen who writes notes about her trip with her boyfriend Coop and sends them to her best friend, Marla. This simple storyline works very well due to the humour combined with the believability of everything and the fact that Gwen is quite likeable.

Unfortunately for Gwen, the journey involves his close friend, Dannika who is blonde, beautiful, toned and healthy. Needless to say, Gwen feels insecure and insignificant next to this Malibu
Library-KAT
Gwen is a Jackie O dress-alike, Coop is a wonderful god like man and Gwen's boyfriend. Coop is taking Gwen to Mendocino to meet his college friends who are getting married. Cool...

So then we have Dannika (a Malibu Barbie), she is tall, blond, svelte, beautiful, a famous yoga instructor & Coop's best friend. Dannika is also going to the wedding, in fact she is driving..... As beautiful as Dannika is outside, she is as ugly inside. She is a snotty, petty, conniving, insecure, selfish, blow sni
Ally Hunnam
I was wildly entertained by Jody Gehrman's book, I loved how it reminded me of "Sisterhood of the Travelling pants" meets "Princess Diaries" It was a kind of book I've been looking for, simple but makes total sense. Gwen was such a cool character, yes she's quite different, and she may look like she's living in a different era but that's what makes her incredible! her style is so 60's, Gwen showed so much love and devotion for Coop by being the bigger person by letting her anger go. I mean we al ...more
Rachael
It’s kind of funny how you might know someone for a really long time and never truly know them. Marla thought she knew her best friend Gwen, but she never knew Gwen could write so much.

The story starts out with Marla in Paris, meeting her fiancé’s parents. However, most of the story is told from Gwen’s point of view through the journals she sends to Marla. Gwen is going on a trip with her boyfriend of almost three months, Coop, and Coop’s best friend from college, Dannika. What Coop doesn’t know
Trina Knittle
This was a quick and very easy book to read. It was very interesting and a cute read. I loved the cover. I thought there were a decent amount of interesting characters in this book that made it more interesting to read. This was a good chick lit read and I can see many fans of chick lit enjoying this book.
Sharal Hunter
Cute and entertaining story about a woman with an antique clothing fetish and major trust issues who is forced to face her insecurities when she goes on a weekend road trip to attend a wedding with her boyfriend and his best friend, who is also a gorgeous, beautiful blonde. Gwen is relegated to the back seat cramped in between two surfboards, where she feels like the proverbial third wheel. She begins journaling her feelings and by the end of the story, she has filled several journals.

I enjoyed
A very light and quick summer read. The descriptions of the main characters clothes were awesome! (50's polyester suits and traveling coats and leopard print kitten heels.) The main character works through her jealousy problem while falling in love, and while going on a trip with her boyfriend and his hot yoga instructor of a friend, she writes journal entries with her thoughts throughout the trip. Very funny, quirky, and she takes you on a journey through her emotional rollercoaster of a vacati ...more
Suzanne
Many folks gave this book a pretty good rating; however I just couldn't do it. After about 10 pages in, one sentence made me shut this pathetic book and never give it a second thought. The sentence was, and I quote, “ I had no way of knowing that little leather-bound journal would save my friends life. Well, her love life, at least – which maybe, in the end, is the same thing.” Nope, couldn’t do it…too pathetic, time waster.
Kristine
Mar 25, 2009 Kristine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: women
THIS is the sort of book chick lit should be. Funny, silly, wry, clever, well-written.

The characters entertain without fail and the situations Gwen gets into and her cutting observations she writes in her notebook in order to not beat the crap out of her BF's best (female) friend just make me giggle.

An insightful and fun book.
Lisa
Quick and easy reading, as the book is written in the form of journal entries from Gwen to her best friend, Marla. Gwen is on a road-trip with her boyfriend and his best friend, Dannika, who happens to be a famous yoga instructor. As the title indicates, Gwen is in the backseat and she's writing non-stop.
Holly
Loved this book. You really can relate to the character and her animosity towards her boyfriends "hot, blonde, and beautiful" best friend. Full of ups and downs and humor, this book is a must read for any chick lit fan.
Erica
Quite a few interesting characters in this one...a light, yet thought-provoking read. I wouldn't be surprised if everybody could find a bit of themselves in this one somewhere...
Gaile Wakeman
Another read for fun book. I am acquainted with this author and admire her writing and literary ability. She is writing young adult fiction and she is a marvelous teacher.
Btr
I just couldn't get into this book. The characters and plot lines were too unrealistic for me. Also, my copy was missing some pages--which I discovered about 2/3 of the way in.
Robbie Ballard
This book was a nice, light read. Lots of fun going through the story. I didnt think it was deep, not a lot of character development but enjoyed it for something easy.
Bridget
This was a very fun read. The author has an artistic way with words, without going over the top. The story kept me engaged and the characters were great fun.
Sue Young
Just finished this one, it was a fun beach read. The main had a passion for vintage clothing and so do I so it was kind of cool
Holli
Good book....kept me intrigued, but had a few f bombs that the Gehrman didn't need to use. Over all a good book.
Melanie
Didn't like the way this book was written. Read a few chapters and put it down. Very rare that I do this.
Julia
This was a great Chick Lit read. I loved the main character and her quirky wardrobe. Great beach read!
Ginny Marie
For a chick book, this was really a good read! I was pleasantly surprised. Perfect for summer!
Jackie
Super quick read but pretty entertaining. I really liked all the clothing references to the 50's.
Brenda Kelton
Very cute, and funny read. My only complain is it was a little too long, but a good read.
Elaine
Good easy read. Surprisingly good read for a chick-lit book. Not normally my type.
ReadALot
A book that throws you some surprises i loved the storyline
great read
Ashley
An original chic lit story. Super fast read. Very enjoyable.
Marisa
Really funny. Sharp, girlie insights make this a fun chick lit read.
Nicole
Aug 28, 2008 Nicole rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Marcia
O-H-M-Y-G-O-O-D-N-E-S-S-T-H-I-S-B-O-O-K-W-A-S-S-O-F-U-N-N-Y!!!
Sheryl
Really cute, a bit long but worth it in the end!
Kimberly
Told through a series of letters. Fun chick-lit.
  • Reconstructing Brigid
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Jack with a Twist: Engaging Your Adversary and Other Things They Don't Teach You in Law School (Brooke Miller, #2)
  • Questions to Ask Before Marrying
  • The Romancipation of Maggie Hunter
  • The Night I Got Lucky
  • Joyride
  • Killer Summer
  • Fate and Ms. Fortune
  • Sorcery and the Single Girl (Jane Madison, #2)
  • Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes
  • Three Bedrooms In Chelsea
  • Testing Kate
  • Miss Bubbles Steals the Show
194256
Jody Gehrman is a native of Northern California, where she can be found writing, teaching, reading, or obsessing over her three cats most days. She is also the author of ten novels and numerous award-winning plays. Her Young Adult novels include The Truth About Jack, Audrey's Guide to Black Magic, Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft, Babe in Boyland, Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty, and Triple Shot Be ...more
More about Jody Gehrman...
Babe in Boyland Confessions of a Triple Shot Betty (Triple Shot Bettys, #1) Triple Shot Bettys in Love (Triple Shot Bettys, #2) Tart Audrey's Guide to Witchcraft (Audrey's Guides, #1)