Start by marking “Starting from Square Two” as Want to Read:
Starting from Square Two

Caren Lissner

Starting from Square Two

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  261 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Gert Healy thought she was finished with dating. She thought she'd be picking out strollers and booties for the children she and her husband were planning to have. Instead, she's mourning his loss and coming to terms with being a widow at twenty-nine.

It's been over a year now, and her friends have convinced her it's time to get back into the swing of things (even though lo
ebook
Published June 1st 2012 by Red Dress Ink (first published March 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Starting from Square Two, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Starting from Square Two

Lynda
I wanted to read this book because I really enjoyed her first novel, Carrie Pilby. Right from the get-go though, this novel really irritated me in all its chick-lit stereotypical glory.

Gert is recently widowed and hangs around her two single friends, Hallie and Erika. Both are jaded to the world of dating, Hallie never having had a successful relationship and Erika constantly obsessing over her ex-boyfriend Ben. Gert seems like she’ll be the one to keep this book together. She even has the poten
Brittany Kelly
This book was okay. I really did feel that the story premise itself could have been executed better though. Gert (really, whhhy that name?) is a young widow and the book describes her struggles to move on. Her friends are kind of annoying and don't understand her -- and the end felt abrupt.
Patria
Jun 18, 2010 Patria rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young widows
Shelves: unfiled
I inherited this book when I moved into my cube at work. It was ok but painful to go through this woman's analysis of going through the loss of her husband at the age of 29. boo hoo. Stupid book...kind of sucked.
Just - The romance reader
The plot itself was good, and I enjoyed the main character, Gert. She was strong and inspiring in what she was able to overcome, and learn from. With that said, I found the story would drag on from time to time.
Terrie
Again, far more depth than your average Red Dress Ink imprint book. A little too predictable though.
Alarra
A young widow tries to re-enter the dating scene after five blissful years of marriage. It's intelligent chicklit and I really liked the main characters and the way their relationship grows.
Diana
Ehhhh...her friends were really annoying and the whole book felt rather shallow. I found myself reading it quickly so I could move on. End was good but not impressed with the rest.
Ann

Not my cup of tea when there are so many other books to read. I guess it would be a good beach read. I got half way thru it before another book from the library became available
Holly Gault
I never got involved with these characters and hated the personalities of the two girlfriends.
Jenn
Kim
A Red Dress Ink book of a different color... I enjoyed it.
Stephanie
Enjoyable...written with empathy and perspective.
Charity
Great story about dating again after losing a spouse.
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2015
Amanda
Amanda added it
Jan 24, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Tracy
Tracy added it
Jan 20, 2015
Vilde
Vilde marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Julie Tremblay
Julie Tremblay marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2015
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Emily
Emily marked it as to-read
Dec 12, 2014
Pippa
Pippa marked it as to-read
Dec 08, 2014
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
  • Strapless
  • Rescuing Rose
  • Lucy's Launderette
  • A Minor Indiscretion
  • The Last Year Of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Dating Without Novocaine
  • The Hunt (Rachel Benjamin, #4)
  • Losing It
  • Crossing the Line
  • My Life Uncovered
  • Tales of a Drama Queen
Caren Lissner is the author CARRIE PILBY (rereleased July 1, 2010) - a humorous novel about a 19-year-old genius who graduated from Harvard three years early and doesn't know how to fit in when dating and living in New York City. The main character believes many of the people she meets to be immoral and hypocritical. So how far should she go to fit in with others her age? See www.carenlissner.com ...more
More about Caren Lissner...
Carrie Pilby Io gioco da sola Scenes From A Holiday

“We just have to accept that people are going to stay in our hearts, even when they don’t stay in our lives.” 4 likes
“You know,” Hallie said, “they make all these antidepressants. They should make a pill that stops you from loving the people you can’t have, and makes you attracted to those you can.” 3 likes