Start by marking “Up & Out” as Want to Read:
Up & Out
Ariella Papa

Up & Out

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  365 ratings  ·  20 reviews
How Long Does it Take To Go From It Girl to On the Dole?

TV producer Rebecca Cole has seen better days. Like the day her cartoon creation, Esme, made her a hit and scored her a promotion. "That" was a good day. But now that her roommate has decided to heed her therapist and appreciate the simpler things in life--outside of New York City--and a corporate takeover at her netw
Published June 1st 2012 by Red Dress Ink (first published December 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Up & Out, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Up & Out

***** 1.5 stars *****
For the first time in forever... I did not finish a book. I am ashamed to say since I pride myself on being able to get through a book no matter what. I read, put it down, stepped away, came back and I just couldn't do it. I will attribute it to the fact that I was reading this book at the same time I was reading another author's book who belonged to the same publishing company and obviously had the same editor. There is only so much twenty somethings living in New York, see
‘Up and Out’ is about Rebecca Cole, a television producer who created a cartoon character Esme targeted at kids. Her success and promotion are somewhat short-lived after a bank buys her company and she is ordered around by a new wicked boss. Meanwhile, she is still confused about her feelings towards her ex-boyfriend Tommy and has to deal with the changes in her friendship with her three close friends.

I began reading this book with low expectations, hence it turned out to be a very pleasant surp
Sherri Hunter
This is my first Ariella Papa book and I have two additional Red Dress Ink titles by this author buried in my to be read pile.

Up & Out centers around a young woman named Rebecca, whose life is made up of working at a television network, eating out at as many restaurants as her wallet will allow her and the occasional sexual encounter with her ex boyfriend. Rebecca's life takes a sudden and unexpected turn when she is terminated from her job after the network is taken over by a bank. Left to
This is the sort of book I would have loved 10 years ago. Now, though, it struck me as too shallow and hollow. I had a lot of problems with the story and the author's style of writing. There was little in the way of descriptive sentences unless it was an inanely cliched description of restaurant food, as the protagonist is a "foodie". (Man, I hate that word.) There are some serious problems in her circle of girlfriends and much page space is spent talking about how they've drifted apart and thin ...more
I liked this book well enough, but I would have liked it more a few years ago. Just a few years ago, I would have been able to really identify with the main character and her situation. I've been through that time when your friendships can get weird and I know how it feels to think they are all falling apart. But, I wouldn't say I'm still in that place, so the book didn't hit me the same way it would have if I had read it sooner. If you are in that place, that quarter-life crisis time, then this ...more
This is my attempt to try something totally different from the usual heady non-fiction that I always read. I have to say, it's not bad! I don't know why I didn't think about reading books like this before, considering I read Perez Hilton and I love shit like the "The Hills" and "America's Next Top Model" and all those other reality fluff shows.
My one beef is that I don't feel Beth's character was developed enough. The whole subplot of her obviously having a drug problem was annoying because it w
S.C. Wynne
I loved this book. It was very clever and witty. I found her relationship with Tommy, moving and poignant. It had me laughing out loud many times and over all I just really enjoyed the story. It stuck with me.
Dixie Bowman
This book was soooooo slow.. I actually thought about not finishing it. The author never really developed her characters. I kept thinking she'd let us know what was going on with Beth, but she never did. I won't be reading any more books by this author.
I read Ariella Papa's On the Verge 5 years ago and I really liked it. After not reading any Ariella Papa books again until the past three months, I've been pretty disappointed by the rest of her work. The characters are okay, but the story line didn't really grab me, and we never got a full explanation about what was going on with one of the protagonists best friends. (It was implied, but I think it would have been much better if it had actually been confronted.)
Cute book with likeable characters. The story takes a look at what it means to be a 'grown up' and the choices we make, as well as the events that shape who we are.

Another pleasant read from Ariella Papa. She really gets it 'right' and I'm looking forward to reading more of her work (next up Bundle of Joy?).
This was a great read. I liked the main character and could really identify with certain things she was going through. I liked that it was about both love and friendships and I would be lying if I said I didn't get a little teary eyed at the very end. Fantastic.
I picked it up because I'm on a Roald Dahl kick (and "Up and Out" reminded me of "The Great Glass Elevator") -- decent chick-lit, though not great. Don't run out and get it, but if you want an quick, amusing read, it's fine.
I was really into this one, but it may be because I can relate to this main character - we don't have that much in common, but we are very close in age, and going through a lot of the same "life changes."
I really enjoyed this book. I was looking for something light and I found it. The characters were all very likeable and you were really rooting for everyone to find some happiness.
Much better than Papa's first book, On the Verge. I hadn't been overly impressed with Papa, but this book has really changed my mind. Great characters and a cute, quick story.
I come back to this book again and again when I want a light read with amazing food descriptions :D
This book was a light read. I thought it was good entertainment.
Katie White
This book was acctually enjoyable and i liked reading it
Up & Out (Red Dress Ink) by Ariella Papa (2003)
Maureen is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2015
Mazza's Palace
Mazza's Palace marked it as to-read
Sep 22, 2015
Julie added it
Sep 12, 2015
Annelise marked it as to-read
Aug 23, 2015
Tracey marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2015
  • My Life Uncovered
  • The Last Year of Being Single (Red Dress Ink Novels)
  • Summer in the Land of Skin
  • It's Not You, It's Me
  • Speechless
  • Tales of a Drama Queen (Drama Queen, #1)
  • Bombshell
  • Couch World
  • My Fake Wedding
  • Mafia Chic
  • Name & Address Withheld
  • Miss Bubbles Steals the Show
  • Tallulahland
  • Losing It
  • Crossing the Line (Jane Taylor, #2)
  • A Minor Indiscretion