Start by marking “The Unexpected Wife” as Want to Read:

Mary Burton

The Unexpected Wife

3.61 of 5 stars 3.61  ·  rating details  ·  145 ratings  ·  9 reviews
He Could Never Love Again

Of that, Matthias Barrington was certain, despite the well-intentioned meddling of his neighbors. But now they'd sent him a special delivery in the form of the very comely Miss Abigail Smyth, who'd stepped off the stagecoach and announced that he needed a wife--and she was just the woman!

Mail-order bride Abby Smyth just wanted a place to belong--pr
Published April 1st 2012 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published June 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Unexpected Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Unexpected Wife

JLC
Started as a DNF, then I went back & finished it. Finishing didn't change my opinion.

1st historical western romance that didn't work for me in a long time. This couple don't get together as a couple until the end of the book. What's the point of reading this then? I want to read about a couple being together as a couple. That's what I like in my romances. As it is, it's reading about the h trying to win over the H so she won't have to go back where she came from. I cringe at the thought of t
Jacqueline
Pretty good mail order bride story. They didn't get married until almost the end though and I prefer when it is about 2 strangers making a marriage work.
Linda
If you are looking for a short historical romance to read that is about redeeming love then try this book. Abby Smyth made the mistake of her life eight years before. She'd fallen in love with a young lawyer she met through her uncle. Douglas Edmondson, had a poet's heart and a gift for words that made her knees go weak, but love had not been what he was after. Abby learned of his shallow heart too late and in the end he made a fool out of her.

Matthias Barrington moved to Montana with his one t
Haley Whitehall
I've become interested in mail-order brides recently. Mary Burton came highly recommended. This was a sweet story. I liked Matthias and Abigail well enough. I felt for both of them and loved their fiery internal struggles with themselves and their external struggles with each other. It is hard to fall in love again after being hurt deeply and this was written well. It was an easy read. I finished it in one day. But nothing exceptional.

I am interested in reading the next book in the series though
Kristy McCaffrey
The story of Matthias and Abby will entertain any historical western romance lover. Matthias is trying to make a go of his ranch after his wife died and left him with two young boys. When the townspeople plot behind his back to bring a mail-order bride to him, he's understandably annoyed and refuses to marry the woman. But Abby didn't come looking for love. She wants a new life and is willing to work hard for it. And, as Matthias slowly learns, Abby is just the one to bring joy and passion back ...more
Readitnweep
I liked the characters of Matthias and Abby well enough but I can not buy off that his neighbors ordered a mail order bride for him. It was a quick and easy afternoon read.
garnetyuna
No. Just not for me.
Catalina Joseanne
The only thing I didn't like, was the epilogue, what was that? There is another book with the story of Holden?
Regina
Sweet--but rather unexceptional--mail-order bride themed romance. 3.2 stars.
Wanda
Wanda marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
steve siegel
steve siegel marked it as to-read
Dec 19, 2014
Sue Barr
Sue Barr marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2014
Donna
Donna marked it as to-read
Nov 13, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2014
Julie Croce
Julie Croce marked it as to-read
Nov 05, 2014
Deb Sullivan
Deb Sullivan marked it as to-read
Nov 02, 2014
Sherry Norman
Sherry Norman marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
maria g aguirre
maria g aguirre marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Train Station Bride (Crawford Family, #1)
  • A Taste Of Heaven
  • Mail Order Mama (Brides of Beckham, #2)
  • Joe's Wife
  • Texas Bride (Mail-Order Brides, #1)
  • Winter Woman
  • A Convenient Wife (Montana Mavericks: The Historicals)
  • The Stranger
  • Mail-Order Marriages: Rocky Mountain Wedding\Married in Missouri\Her Alaskan Groom (Alaska, #3)
  • Short Straw Bride
  • The Conqueror's Lady (The Knights of Brittany, #2)
  • In Want of a Wife (Bitter Springs #3)
  • The Unlikely Wife (Bowen, #2)
  • Abby: Mail Order Bride (Unconventional, #1)
  • The Devil's Lady (de Laci, #1)
  • The Bride Wore Spurs (Inconvenient Brides, #1)
  • The Bride Raffle
MARY BURTON’s southern family has always enjoyed tall tales and a good yarns. Early on, MB realized that Story had tremendous power to inspire strong responses such fear, laughter, love and even sorrow. It didn’t matter if the tale was found in the pages of a book, spoken in hushed tones around a Girl Scout campfire, or spouted at an old fashioned southern family reunion. This appreciation of stor ...more
More about Mary Burton...
Senseless (Senseless, #1) I'm Watching You Before She Dies The Seventh Victim Merciless (Senseless, #2)