Start by marking “The Ink Truck” as Want to Read:

The Ink Truck

Published September 28th 1984 by Viking

David
Nov 11, 2016 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love the absurdity and buffoonery in this. I think it wanders off into inexplicable strangeness at times rather than fully developing the absurdity and buffoonery, though I can go for inexplicable strangeness as much as anyone I would like Kennedy to have picked one of the two for the book, but it's still more interesting than Kennedy's other books. I have great respect for his writing skills, but it's still true and I wished he'd developed this kind of thing more and hadn't focused to heavily ...more
Murray
Jun 29, 2016 Murray rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Whether you've read any of William Kennedy's other novels or not, this is a book that will leave you asking "what the heck did I just read"? At times brilliant, at other times completely confusing, "The Ink Truck" is filled with outstanding prose, unusual characters, and hallucinogenic sequences straight out of a Coen Brothers movie.

I've been reading Kennedy for about 30 years and finally got around to this, his first novel. Had it been the first novel I ever read by Kennedy, I don't know if I
Chris Wharton
Except for glimpses into Kennedy’s future work, I didn’t much care for this novel (his first) of a larger-than-life writer character (Bailey) fighting a losing battle in a newspaper strike. In checking to see this was his first novel, it was interesting to learn that Kennedy became friends with Hunter Thompson in the late ‘50s/early ‘60s in Puerto Rico, the time and place of the latter’s The Rum Diary. Bailey is a bit Thompsonesque, as perhaps are some of the meandering tangents the narrative he ...more
Bobbie57
Mixed review actually. I read and really enjoyed Kennedy's Albany books so I was expecting more. This book was written first and I think it is pulling people in. As a first offering it's not awful but reading it after the others doesn't help it.
Thomas Ray
Jun 26, 2013 Thomas Ray rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Main character is not likeable, is horrid to his wife.

It sort of parodies a worker strike, having the striking reporters negotiate with the paper about who pays for renting cummerbunds when reporters cover fancy functions.

Writing is reminiscent of Kurt Vonnegut in its disjointedness; narrator admires James Joyce.

Trisha Owens
Apr 28, 2015 Trisha Owens rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was one of those books that leaves you still thinking about the characters after you've long finished the book. Written by the author of IRONWEED and set in the Albany, New York area, this one hits home. Loved it!
Gregory
Mar 29, 2011 Gregory rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As I told my wife (who has so far only read this, of Kennedy's books), don't let this soil your opinion of William Kennedy. I agree with the other reviewers who said they just couldn't connect with it.
Stefanie
Sep 23, 2009 Stefanie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I described this book to my husband as "crack for the eyes." Kennedy is incredibly surreal, and often very coarse. I think I would've enjoyed the book more if I'd been expecting that, but as it stands, I'm not overly thrilled.
Trent
I couldn't get into this at all. It's incredibly arch, perhaps because it's Kennedy's first book, written when he was an angry young man. A major disappointment, since I'd never read him before; obviously, I should have picked another of his novels to start with.
Adrillew
Apr 15, 2010 Adrillew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It's ok if you like this type of frenetic early 1900s style. I tried it and found I just can't connect with the content -- I find the style very offputting and annoying.
Lsbouvier
Lsbouvier rated it it was ok
Dec 01, 2009
Andante Zen
Andante Zen rated it really liked it
Nov 18, 2016
Noal
Noal rated it liked it
Oct 17, 2008
Corinne
Corinne rated it really liked it
Jan 22, 2008
Paul Miller
Paul Miller rated it liked it
Apr 25, 2016
Stuart Roffman
Stuart Roffman rated it really liked it
May 23, 2016
Pricia
Pricia rated it it was ok
Jun 01, 2012
Dave
Dave rated it liked it
Jun 07, 2015
Richard Maroney
Richard Maroney rated it did not like it
Mar 06, 2013
Evan
Evan rated it really liked it
Jul 14, 2010
Michael Shea
Michael Shea rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2012
Matthew Anderson
Matthew Anderson rated it it was ok
Dec 20, 2010
Bob
Bob rated it liked it
Apr 04, 2013
Erik Hansen
Erik Hansen rated it really liked it
May 22, 2012
Kushal Poddar (Author)
Kushal Poddar (Author) rated it it was amazing
Dec 01, 2013
Paul
Paul rated it really liked it
Dec 14, 2012
Craig
Craig rated it it was ok
Jan 21, 2008
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Is Just a Movie
  • Memory (Hard Case Crime, #64)
  • Come and Go, Molly Snow
  • Christian Doctrine
  • Sacred Cows Make the Best Burgers: Developing Change-Driving People and Organizations
  • Under God
  • Real Boys' Voices
  • Runaway Slaves: Rebels on the Plantation
  • The Moccasin Telegraph and Other Stories
  • The Hothouse by the East River
  • Men's Lives
  • The Biggest Loser Fitness Program: Fast, Safe, and Effective Workouts to Target and Tone Your Trouble Spots--Adapted from NBC's Hit Show!
  • A Fine Young Man: What Parents, Mentors, and Educators Can Do to Shape Adolescent Boys into Exceptional Men
  • My Childhood Under Fire: A Sarajevo Diary
  • Affirming Diversity: The Sociopolitical Context of Multicultural Education (5th Edition)
  • Cookoff: Recipe Fever in America
  • Complete Illustrated Guide – Feng Shui
  • The Shape of the River: Long-Term Consequences of Considering Race in College and University Admissions
William Joseph Kennedy is an American writer and journalist born and raised in Albany, New York. Many of his novels feature the interaction of members of the fictional Irish-American Phelan family, and make use of incidents of Albany's history and the supernatural.

Kennedy's works include The Ink Truck (1969), Legs (1975), Billy Phelan's Greatest Game (1978), Ironweed (1983, winner of 1984 Pulitze
More about William Kennedy...