Start by marking “Shadow Star 1 - Starflight” as Want to Read:
Shadow Star 1 - Starflight

Shadow Star 1 - Starflight (Narutaru / Shadow Star #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  88 ratings  ·  7 reviews
While on vacation on a small island, young Shiina Tamai dives under the water near an old shrine and discovers an unearthly starfish-like creature. She nearly drowns but is rescued by the silent, wide-eyed little animal, who Shiina befriends and names Hoshimaru. To Shiina's surprise and delight, the creature changes shape, lets Shiina stand on him, and the two fly off into...more
Published September 18th 2001 by Dark Horse Manga (first published August 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Shadow Star 1 - Starflight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadow Star 1 - Starflight

Suzie
I'm oversimpifying, but Shadow Star is what would happen to Pokemon if it were in the horror genre... Junior high aged kids have these creatures with special powers. Sadly, not all kids are nice or well adjusted. Some of them are pretty terrible people.

I like the manga (and the anime series) a lot, but it's pretty brutal content-wise. A lot of stuff ends up happening out of panel or off screen. Not so much in this volume. But later on? Watch out.
Vicki
I enjoyed reading vols. 1-4 of this sort of adult-subversion-of-Pokemon story (also known as Nartaru). Its a shame only volumes 1-7 were ever translated and released in English, as I'm never going to be able to complete the series and get deeper into it.

I highly recommend Bokurano by the same author though - fantastic series and ~fingers crossed~ it looks like its all going to be released.
Chai T
Jan 31, 2008 Chai T rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: all my friends
Recommended to Chai T by: isabelb
Shelves: fantasies
this is a really GREAT BOOK!
David Balfour
This review is for the entire 12-volume series.

Although it's notorious for becoming quite graphic in later series, it's very slow-paced and is not exploitative. If you want gore and sex, there are countless guro, horror and hentai manga that will provide much more than Shadow Star. Nothing really shocking happens until about the 7th volume which is censored anyway in the Dark Horse release.

Anyway, this series is completely unique. A real puzzle. It never, ever went where I expected it to, and I...more
☆ Molly ☆
I really truly loved, and enjoyed this volume much more than the anime version!! Even though the Anime wasn't finished... I love Hoshimaru, Shiina, and Akira the best. I've never finished this series before but I have a feeling it'll exceeded my expectations!
isabelb
Jan 01, 2008 isabelb rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: some people love anime
Shelves: anime-manga
this book is kinda confusing
but i think people should read this book
even i don't really get it but i still like it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Magali
Ahhhh!!! J'ai adoré! Mais pourquoi avoir arrêté la parution en France?! ;_;
Individuo80
Individuo80 marked it as to-read
Aug 13, 2014
Karla
Karla marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Katie
Katie added it
Jul 22, 2014
Morrow
Morrow marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Ilona
Ilona added it
May 15, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
May 04, 2014
Brandy
Brandy marked it as to-read
Mar 06, 2014
Ezra
Ezra marked it as to-read
Nov 15, 2013
Atm
Atm marked it as to-read
Oct 17, 2013
Claudia Hernandez
Claudia Hernandez marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1 Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 2 Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 3 Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 4 Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 5