Start by marking “Sakura Taisen, Vol. 01” as Want to Read:
Sakura Taisen, Vol. 01

Sakura Taisen, Vol. 01 (Sakura Taisen #1)

Tokyo, 1921. After the horrific Demon War, Japan is a peaceful and prosperous place...with the occasional monstrous robot crashing around town. Not to worry--there's always a lovely young girl waiting to cut down these robots, samurai-style! Enter Ensign Ogami, a recent Naval Academy graduate. He finds himself in Tokyo, assigned to the Imperial Theater as a ticket collecto ...more
Published July 12th 2005 by Kodansha (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Sakura Taisen, Vol. 01, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sakura Taisen, Vol. 01

Chris
Sep 21, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
This one has a great sentimental value to me, having grown up with the anime.
I don't know why people are giving this volume such low ratings - it wasn't too slow, the idea was good, the characters too.
It gets 4 stars from me.
Jennette
Feb 11, 2015 Jennette rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was alright not really my cup of tea
Seul
Jan 19, 2017 Seul rated it really liked it
Not bad, I wish it had more depth and was a little more serious in certain areas.
D.M. Dutcher
Oct 10, 2012 D.M. Dutcher rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, steampunk
A sadly underrated series that gets a fine manga version. Very influential but oddly forgotten and not very big in the west.

Ogami has just graduated from a military academy. He's a dedicated student and is looking forwards to protecting the peace of Japan in his first official post. Sadly, his first post is not what he expects-he's been drafted into helping out the Grand Imperial Theater as an odd jobs man due to the pull of a retired military officer.

He tries to do his job to the best of his ab
Jason
I found out afterwards that this is part of some epic series that extends in many directions (or something) and that this is a well-traveled plotline but seen through a different character's eyes. I was bothered at all by it; in fact, I probably was able to get into the main character's (Private Ogami) perspective a bit easier. The story was fine and I was curious about what twist was coming with regard to his assignment to the movie theater (you knew there was going to be one) and he is likeabl ...more
Mackenzie
Jul 02, 2016 Mackenzie rated it liked it
I am... pleasantly surprised thus far. I'm trying to read through all the manga that's been piling up in my closet before I go to the local convention in a week, so I have an idea of which series I want to continue with.

I love war stories, but honestly, reading the summary on the back, I'd expected this to be your average harem. But so far, I'm really liking this. The artwork was surprisingly detailed. Everyone seems to have a distinct personality and place in this story. And the girls' breasts
Nick
Oddly, I liked this volume a bit less than the rest of the series, which is why I give it a separate review from later volumes.
The problem that I have with this first volume is that the logic of the secrecy involved is utterly baffling. If an organization has found a promising new recruit, why torment him so thoroughly, past the point of good comedy?
Even as an introduction to the characters, it's a bit weak because all of the characters are being introduced "in disguise" in a sense.
I think that
Giselle
Dec 09, 2009 Giselle rated it liked it
So far this book is really slow. And a tad bit confusing. There's too much going on in the beginning, that I couldn't understand what was happening. But after reading 15 pages, you started to understand what was going on. It's pretty much about a Naval Academy that sends one of their students to work at a theatre for their new mission. As he starts his job as a tickent collector, bad things begin to happen. And he needs to use his knowledge of what he learned in the Academy, to defeat the monste ...more
Jerry
Jan 09, 2013 Jerry rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga, video-games
Sakura Taisen (aka Sakura Wars in America) begins well enough. It has good to great artwork, a decent enough plot, some curiosities the reader gets to puzzle over, and has characters I'd like to know more about. I'd like to read more volumes in the series! Fans of the sole Sakura Wars game that made it here will find some parallels to the beginning moments here, which is sort of cute. In short, a solid foundation to what I hope adds up to a good series.
Raúl
Aug 23, 2013 Raúl rated it liked it
Mucho mejor shonen de lo que me esperaba. Es ligerito, pero muy entretenido. Y aunque sólo los diseños sean del gran Kosuke Fujishima, el dibujo de Ikku Masa no desmerece en absoluto. Se parece en gran medida al dibujo de Fujishima, aunque un poco más simplista, lo que le da un toque más ligero y divertido.
De momento me ha gustado su historia, que aunque tenga cosas típicas, las entremezcla muy bien con alguna cosa bastante original.
Anna
Nov 29, 2011 Anna rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
Ouji Hiroi handles Fujishima's designs well enough but this same rehash of the story yet again. Having played the games (yes plural, more than one), watched the movie and OAVs etc... this is just... *shrug* ehh

Meanwhile, why is the title using "Taisen"?!?! Every adaptation of this franchise has dutifully translated the full title as Sakura Wars, why Tokyopop tryin to be such unique snowflake
Elizabeth
Jul 23, 2015 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
I liked it.....but I have no real interest in finishing it (unless the entire series was available at the library, then why not?). The artwork is pretty, the protagonist is sympathetic and admirable, and the story looks genuinely interesting.... Buuuut it's also based off a video game and that kinda turns me off. >.> Who knows? Maybe I'll get back to it someday...
Lea
Aug 14, 2009 Lea rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga, lol, action
This was an OK series. The story was VERY slow to start, but got better as it went along. The characters were good once you got to know them, and the battles were pretty decent. The humor on-stage was good as well. However, around book 5 there was a lot of nudity, but only for one book. I mean, what the heck?!? But the last few books were good.
Kirsten Simkiss
Nov 19, 2016 Kirsten Simkiss rated it really liked it
Shelves: own, reviewed
I think this one is a good start to a series, though they only hint at what's really going on behind the scenes at the theater. The art style is lovely and the characters have a lot of personality, for better or worse.
Cassie
Feb 09, 2012 Cassie added it
Shelves: 2012, manga
Manga Challenge book 7

Somewhat interesting. A clueless soldier is assigned to a theatre that is clearly (except o him) more than it seems.

Best for boys who want to see robots and aliens fight (who wouldn't?).

Simple, though somewhat interesting and entertaining.
Sakura
Nov 02, 2013 Sakura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What I think about this book is so cool I am so into your Sakura Taisen books now. I was so intrested of reading this book by getting it at a book fair now I want to read all the Sakura Taisen books!! Please make more books please!! (but about Sakura Taisen and the others too!!)
Ariel
Jun 05, 2016 Ariel rated it liked it
For a random manga I picked up out of nowhere, it's pretty decent. It's a quick read about a guy who was in the military, then is brought in to do the polar opposite of the job. It's really not that girly to be completely honest, and it's a pretty decent read.
Sparrowwing
Jun 01, 2012 Sparrowwing rated it it was amazing
I love the plot and ideas in the book! I also love the funny parts!
Hope Miller
Dec 27, 2015 Hope Miller rated it really liked it
I didn't really understand what was happening in the beginning but as I read on things began to get more intresting. The story line was great, I just wish there was more explanation in the begining.
Shaniel Olsen
Feb 26, 2008 Shaniel Olsen rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: No one.
Recommended to Shaniel by: No one.
Eh. It was okay. The storyline kind of sucked and it was really boring. The ending was cool I guess.
Brianna
Aug 25, 2010 Brianna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: manga
pretty good. it's just like the anime thought. I am going to keep reading to see if this turns out different from the anime.
Jenna
Jan 18, 2013 Jenna rated it it was ok
Different pacing from the anime and the drawing style felt a little off. It was nice seeing the characters again, though.
Samra
Dec 29, 2011 Samra rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
it was ok but not enough for me to cont the series. cute taking place in the 20s japan tho.
Marianna
Jul 27, 2015 Marianna rated it really liked it
Rating: 3.5 Stars out of 5

Weird, but I rather liked it. I don't know why it has such a low rating. The plot is a little all over the place, but I like the atmosphere and the characters.
Nil Patel
Jan 23, 2014 Nil Patel rated it really liked it
very mysterious.full of action
Elise
Elise rated it it was amazing
Jan 31, 2016
Sue Wargo
Sue Wargo rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2010
Haibara
Haibara rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2013
Twlip
Twlip rated it it was amazing
Oct 31, 2010
Anne
Anne rated it it was amazing
Jul 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Official Casebook Vol.1 - The Phoenix Wright Files
  • Hollow Fields, Vol. 3 (Hollow Fields, #3)
  • Blood+: Kowloon Nights
  • Oh My Goddess! Volume 27
  • Happy Happy Clover, Vol. 2
  • Chronicles of the Cursed Sword, Book 1
  • Dazzle Volume 3
  • Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls, Vol. 1 (Basilisk #1)
  • Grand Guignol Orchestra, Vol. 1
  • Princess Resurrection, Vol. 1
Ohji Hiroi (広井王子, Hiroi Ōji?), real name Teruhisa Hiroi (廣井 照久, Hiroi Teruhisa?) is a manga author.

He coauthored Samurai Crusader with Ryoichi Ikegami. He also wrote the Sakura Taisen manga. (taken from US Wikipedia page)

When written in the Latin alphabet his adopted first name has been spelled Ohji, Oji and Ouji.
More about Ohji Hiroi...