Return of the Rogue (Sinclare Brothers, #1)

Return of the Rogue (Sinclare Brothers #1)

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  832 ratings  ·  46 reviews
Marriage was her only means of escape . . .

Though Honora Tannach came of age amid the misty moors of the Scottish highlands, where warring clans battled to the death for the future of their wild land, nothing frightens her so much as a lifetime trapped in the castle of her cruel stepfather. She is thrilled when a marriage is arranged to the son of a Scottish laird . . . un...more
Published February 26th 2008 by Avon

Amanda
I was suprised by how much I loved this. Normally I get really frustrated by heros like Cavan and they ruin the book for me, but for some reason I adored Cavan. The main problem with Cavan was that he was a complete jerk to Honora a lot of the time. And she was generally forgiving about it, especially as time goes on. Usually that is enough to seriously drive me crazy. However, in this book Cavan is generally aware that he is being a jerk and does feel bad and try to explain himself. And conside...more
Lori McD
3-3.5 stars

I liked this book, because IMO, it's not your run-of-the-mill Highland romance. The Hero is the eldest Sinclare brother, Cavan, who was captured in a bloody battle against a Barbarian (Mordrec) when his younger brother, Ronan, falls in the battle. Cavan tries desperately to reach Ronan before the barbarians take him as prisoner, but he fails. And then is separated from his brother and tortured - not just physically, but mentally with images of how his younger brother is being tortured...more
Elaine Mcdonald
Disappointing read. I'm surprised at such high reviews. The first 275 pages is the same thing over and over. You could read the first and second chapter and skim to the end. The whole book is the Hero blaming himself for not saving his younger brother, yet at the end there was still no closure on that. I guess that is why there are other books in this series, but I honestly am not interested in finishing this series. The story in this book could have been told in under 200 pages and not left any...more
Kim
Rogue? What rogue? This guy is a bloody saint! A piece of paper! A cardboard box!

Highlander stories are always an enjoyable read. The guy is smoking, the girl perfect, the villains are clones across books. It is almost guaranteed a few hours pleasantly spent with a book on the Highlands.

But I guess I have reached a point where merely pleasant is sufficient.

Oh don't mind me. Had I read this book a few years ago, this might turn out to be my favourite. But after reading so many books on the Highla...more
Dwayne
Reviewed @ Girls Without a Bookshelf

I'm not exactly sure how Return of the Rogue ended up as my afternoon read but I do know it probably took the expressway. I simply wanted a romance novel to spend my afternoon with and found myself attached to the story of the Sinclare brothers. As you may have guessed, the fact that this has diverted me from my official to-be-read pile means I favour this book!

Return of the Rogue is a charming highland romance novel - not that I read many, mind you - and set...more
İnci Puyan

Yine Epsilon, tarihi aşk romanı türünde yeni bir yazar ve yeni bir seri ile okurlarını karşıladı. :))

"Bekle Beni", Sinclare Brothers serisinin ilk kitabı ve seri toplamda 4 kitaptan oluşuyor. Her kitap bir Sinclare erkeğini anlatıyor. "Bekle Beni" kitabı da en büyük Sinclare erkeği olan Cavan'ı konu alıyordu. Bir de bu seri İskoç klanlarını sevenler için :)) İskoçya'ya da geçiyor haberiniz ola :)

Seri hakkında kısaca bir bilgi verdikten sonra yazarın kalemi...more
Cheryl
The year was the late 1500s. The place is the Scottish highlands.

Honora Tannach’s stepfather, Calum has arraigned for her marriage to the next laird of the Sinclare clan. Honora does not mind as she has gotten to know her proposed husband, Artair a little bit, so he isn’t a total stranger to her. Much to Honora’s surprise, she comes to discover on the day of her wedding that she is not to marry Artair but Cavan. To add insult to injury, Cavan does not want Honora; much less any wife.

Cavan didn...more
İlkim
Orijinali Kitap Esintisi adresinde.

Bekle Beni, yazarın bizdeki ilk kitabı ve seri için de güzel bir başlangıç kitabı. Öncelikle zaten İskoç klanlarını anlattığı için okumadan gözümde artı bir puan almıştı. Bitirince de gerçekten güzel bir hikaye olduğunu anladım. Honora üvey babasının zulümlerine sessizce göğüs geren cesur bir kızdır. Cavan ise bir yıldır tutsak olduğu barbarların elinden kaçmış, eve döndüğü anda kendini istemediği tipte bir kadın olan Honora ile evli bulmuştur. En başından ber...more
Aengell
I was a tad disappointed with this one. The premise of the story sounded really interesting and was exactly my cup of tea (kind of enemies to lovers, forced/unwanted/arranged marriage, some very appealing Highlander for a hero. Perfect stuff, right?

But the story was much too fast paced, there was too much happening too fast, I didn't have the chance to really get to know the characters or their relationship dynamics. Also the plot was kind of underdeveloped for me, and although I was able to re...more
Ara
I could only say I enjoy this book from the first until the end. Well for some people Honora might appear as too perfect girl or Mary Sue character. But I can't help fall in love with her too...she just too patience with Cavan and so loving. I love how she has full trust to Cavan and I actually prepared myself to become disliking her if Donna Fletcher make more extreme when she was held captive. But She just flee and return to his husband arms which was okay for me.
But then the ending is kinda...more
Nesli
Bir İskoç hikayesine ihtiyacım var diyerek sarıldım kitaba. Gönül isterdi ki burada bayıla bayıla romandan nasıl zevk aldığımı, nasıl hoşuma gittiğini ve tadının nasıl damağımda kaldığını anlatabilseydim...
Ancak malesef bunların hiç birisini söylemem mümkün değil. Kitapla ilgili tek sevdiğim şey kadın karakterdi. Kıyamam üvey baba elinde büyümüş Honora, her gün dayak yemiş ve o pis adama yani Calum'a olan korkusundan görünmez olmayı öğrenmiş, adam kızı görse bile sinirleniyormuş nasıl bir öfkey...more
Anne
Jan 18, 2011 Anne rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: adults
I love Donna's books and this one was a great read. I did not read them in order, and I wish i had, but I still enjoyed the story of another son of the Sinclair laird and his four sons. Brave Highlanders with soft sides and loyalty. Fun to read and great storytelling too.
Amanda
2.5 - this is better than the second in the series: Under the Highlander's Spell, but it still feels clunky compared to other historical romances. The premise is interesting, but not a lot happens until the very end. Mainly, the book is full of introspection about whether they should decide to love each other not. At times this was tedious... at other times it was touching.

And I was unimpressed with Honora at the beginning as well... I agreed with Cavan, she was a mouse. I understand how the bo...more
Trudy Miner
Honora Tannach was thrilled to finally be wed! She would escape her cruel stepfather and marry into the Sinclaire clan. Thinking that she was marrying Artair Sinclaire, eldest son now that Cavan had been captured by barbarians, everyone was shocked when, just as the marriage vows were completed, the doors to the chapel were thrown open and in came Cavan! Honora's stepfather then demanded that she was really wedded to Cavan as the wedding documents demanded. Now wedded to a man who neither loved...more
Sha Mslvoe ♥♥♥
I found myself attached to the story of the Sinclare brothers. This was a very pleasant read! I always like marriage of convenience plots.
Heather
I thought the book was ok. I didn't have any great love for the characters and the plot was pretty darn predictable. I really enjoy a good subplot that sets up the next book and there wasn't any of that. The one thing the author did a pretty good job of was the romantic/ emotional interplay between the characters. Sometimes it just seems a little bit too sudden but she actually had a nice buildup. Unfortunately it still didn't move the novel up from mediocre.
♡ Sassy ~ Amy ♡
This is a first for me. I have never read a DF book, and I was surprised at how much I liked it.

Honora's cruel stepfather arranges a marriage for her to Cavan Sinclaire. He said he did not want her because she was a weak mouse. Since he was going to be the next laird, he wanted a strong woman.

Cavan has been imprisoned by barbarians & his brother Artaire agrees to marry Honora. After the wedding it is a surprise that Cavan arrives and Honora's stepfather claim's she is actually married to Ca...more
Christina
I really enjoyed this book. Although the plot was predictable and frustrating waiting for the characters to come to the same conclusion. What I really enjoyed was the writing of Donna fletcher. Cavan the lead is a tortured hero and what u expect of a tortured hero. I loved how it took time for his and honora's love to grow.. Not like all the other books I've read where they have sex and everything is different. Yes Cavan is mean to Honora but it hurts him to do it and feels remorse. Honora is no...more
pennapely
Gave up a few chapters in. The writing itself is pretty clunky - the heroine's description of her abusive stepfather as a "nasty and mean man" is hilarious. (BTW why do we need to know her lips are narrow? Is that a good thing?). The hero came across like a brutish half-wit and the heroine completely dull. Shame, cause I love the arranged-marriage-in-the-Highlands trope.

And that's another thing, why exactly does the laird want to marry off his heir to this step-daughter of a nobody? She doesn't...more
margaret   . Grimes
I love the writing of Donna Fletcher I give 4 star for this book

I love the writing of Donna Fletcher l give this book 4 star. the rogue is a good book so get the book
Emela
Even if I admit it with some embarrassment, I'm a sucker for romance novels. The first time I read Return of the Rogue was three years ago and I spent over an hour hunting this book down to re-read it. I don't regret it. Even since the first time, I have loved the main characters. I can easily picture them in my mind, live through events as they do, and understand their thoughts because the author did an amazing job in her writing. With all of the good out of the way, I have to add a slight big...more
Petula
There were times in this book when I wanted to slap the hero. He is so full of guilt and self pity.
Cavan has come home after being imprisoned for over a year, to find himself with a bride he doesn't want. Honora goes to marry one man, only to find herself married to his older brother.Someone is causing trouble for the clan. A good historical romance.
Daneesha
This book was off to a great start, but it kind of floundered after the third chapter. The editing threw me off quite a bit. I had to re-read sentences that were spliced by multiple commas.
Cavan, the hero, was too moody. He seemed bipolar--yelling one minute, regretting it immediately, and somewhat sweet the next minute.
Honora, the heroine, was too timid. She scurried about and isolated herself quite a bit. She fell in love with the hero despite him not seemingly having any redeeming qualities....more
♥ Nell ♥
A good story, the first half of the book was a bit repetitive. The second half was better.
Dinna Ken
Yep! I enjoyed it so much!! It was crafted beautifully; you're hooked right from the start, and then you're more engrossed with the characters with the turning of each page :)

The characters are so alive, they really just off the page.. I even started crying when ... well, someone will die and I was upset that I actually spilled a few tears *sniff*

Can't wait to start the other brothers' books!

Great read!!
Jynt
Choppy writing, forgettable characters.
Monica
Really a 3.5. My first Donna Fletcher book. I know she's popular, but I was a little disappointed. Started great, slow in the middle, rushed conclusion. There were some really good parts so I'm reading the second in the series next. Her book Isles of Lies is supposed to be excellent so I have that on order from library.
Camille
I was hesitant to read this since Ive also read another Highland-set romance with the EXACT SAME PLOT(hmm...?). However, i am extremely glad that I did because this was just such a smooth, thrilling and romantic read without having too much angst, which is really too common with the PTSD plotline thing. Awesome!
Claire S
I love me some Donna Fletcher and was glad to read the Sinclare Brother books. The only reason I gave this a 4 instead of 5* rating is that there really is no closure to his brother's captivity with the Barbarians. However, that book is pretty awesome and you should read it.

Worth a look!
Jackie
where has Donna Fletcher been all my life???? This was my 2nd DF book and I absolutely loved it. I liked Cavan's transformation from a brutish ass to a tender and caring husband. I enjoyed the story immensely and only wished Honora was the one to give her step father his just desserts..
  • Taming the Highlander (The MacLerie, #1)
  • The Highlander's Bride (McTiernay Brothers, #1)
  • Claimed by the Highland Warrior (MacKinloch Clan, #1)
  • A Highlander's Temptation (MacKenzie, #7)
  • My Wild Highlander (Highland Adventure #2)
  • Highland Captive (Sisters by Choice, #1)
  • Laird of the Mist (MacGregors, #1)
  • My Wicked Highlander (MacDonell Brides, #1)
  • His Conquest (MacGruder Brothers, #3)
  • The Highlander's Conquest (Stolen Bride, #2)
  • Highland Protector (Murray Family, #17)
  • Lord of the Isles (Men of the Isles, #1)
  • Highland Outlaw (Campbell Trilogy, #2)
  • Highland Dragon
  • Highland Moonlight
The Highlander's Forbidden Bride (Sinclare Brothers, #4) The Irish Devil (Irish Eyes, #1) (Irish Eyes Duo, #1) The Angel and the Highlander (Sinclare Brothers, #3) Bound to a Warrior (The Warrior King, #1) Under the Highlander's Spell (Sinclare Brothers, #2)