The Sea Serpent and Me

The Sea Serpent and Me

4.13 of 5 stars 4.13  ·  rating details  ·  164 ratings  ·  49 reviews
When a tiny sea serpent tumbles from the bathtub faucet, a little girl finds an unexpected friend. As rainy day after rainy day passes, the two sing songs, take baths, and talk about the sea.
But little girls live on land, and a growing sea serpent needs wave upon wave of water.
Here’s a story about the true meaning of friendship, perfect for children, parents, and anyone wh...more
Published May 19th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Sea Serpent and Me, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Sea Serpent and Me

Ingo by Helen DunmoreForgive My Fins by Tera Lynn ChildsThe Tail of Emily Windsnap by Liz KesslerSirena by Donna Jo NapoliHarry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
Sea Creatures
405th out of 423 books — 657 voters
Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakLeonardo, the Terrible Monster by Mo WillemsThe Monster at the End of this Book by Jon StoneEven Monsters Need Haircuts by Matthew McElligottWhen a Monster Is Born by Sean  Taylor
Picture Books with Monsters
117th out of 120 books — 20 voters

More lists with this book...

Kathryn
Nov 08, 2010 Kathryn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Kathryn by: Abigail, thank you!
Loved this imaginative, sweet story about a young girl who finds a baby sea serpent in her bathtub. As the sea serpent grows, their friendship develops; as does the obviousness that the sea serpent cannot stay in the girl's bathroom forever. This has one of those bittersweet endings where I felt like cheering and crying at the same time as it shows the enduring bond of friendship and the selflessness true friends show for one another. The illustrations are charming and magical. A winner!
An Abundance of Books
On Tuesday a tiny sea serpent drops into a little girl's bathtub. He was tiny, and beautiful, they played together, and at night he slept in the fish tank next to her bed. A tornado had swept the tiny creature into the clouds, where he floated over "green jungles and silvery cities" to finally fall with the rain into a lake in which there was a pipe that "whooshed him along and splashed him down into my tub." The little girl knows her new friend misses the sea because that is where he belongs. S...more
Dashka
Apr 22, 2009 Dashka rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: with-msb
Of course I love it -- I wrote it! And I'm delighted that it was a finalist for a Cybil award as well as being a Junior Library Guild Selection. It is also on the Librarians' Choices list of the 100 best books for children and young adults for 2008. You can find whole lot of terrific reviews plus a free teacher's guide, and suggestions of sea serpent crafts and activities on my website: www.dashkaslater.com. I'll be hosting a Q&A soon -- watch for it!
Kim
Mar 14, 2012 Kim rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
I read all kinds of reviews and had high expectations. But that doesn't explain how much I didn't like the book. I didn't dislike it, either, I suppose. I just didn't like the idea of a sea serpent that came from the sea ending up in the bathroom (toilet, if I remember correctly). Its disturbing to me as a adult, I can imagine it could make my kids them have a weird fear of the bathroom. I am willing to say that perhaps I'm overreacting to that part of the story, but I really don't think so.

We...more
Tricia
would it not totally freak out children that a snake falls into the bathtub from the sea?!?!!? this is a book with deep meaning that adults would grasp (true friendship) but is lost on children, who will see the sea serpent growing from worm-sized to whale-sized and gain only a hint of the relationship aspect of the tale, methinks. i'm surprised it didn't illicit nightmares from the girls like bambi. on a positive note, if i must have one, the book's illustrations are surreal and peaceful.
Tara
A story of friendship beautifully told and illustrated. The little girl and sea serpent become close friends and confidants, but they both know that their time together is limited, as, "people need towels, and dry clothes, and dinner, and sea serpents belong in the sea". A lovely story about the sacrifices friends sometimes need to make. And really, who hasn't dreamed of having a sea serpent for a pet?
Sue
Title: The Sea Serpent and Me
Author: Dashka Slater (illiustrated by Catia Chien)
Genre: Children’s
Challenges: PB & J Challenge, 101 Books in 1001 Days Challenge, A to Z Reading Challenge, 2009 Support Your Local Library, 20 Books in 2009, Read Your Name Challenge 2009, Pages Read Challenge, Young Reader's Challenge 2009, Read a Book a Month Challenge, Summer Vacation Reading Challenge 2009

Rating: 4/5
No. of Pages: 40
Published: 2008
From the inside cover: When a tiny sea serpent tumbles from the...more
AnandaTashie
"You won't be lonely. You'll play with sea lions and otters. Whales will sing with you, and when you're tired, the waves will rock you to sleep."
Marie
I've never reviewed a children's book before, but this one has inspired me. A little girl finds a baby sea serpent, the two become fast friends, and then they must say goodbye. I loved the theme of growing up and facing independence, and the illustrations are perfect - dreamy and watery. Probably best for the 5-8 year range.

"I'm very big," he said. "But the sea's a lot
bigger. Maybe I should stay with you."
I stroked his neck and almost said yes.
But soon he'd be as big as a wave,
And I knew he'd b...more
Molly
Love this book :-)
Elizabeth
This book was fantastic for a few reasons:

1.) illustration—the images were unlike any other book I've seen; the ocean creatures were especially well-done in a very artistic way without being strange or scary. I loved the color palette, too.

2.) story—it had a very imaginative, unique feel to it. I didn't feel at any point that it fit into some sort of prescribed formula. The story is very strange, but without being told in a strange way. If that makes any sense.

3.) the girls loved it, too : )
Natalie
I've read way too many books about "letting go" today. This one was probably the most fantastic of them all but hit home in a real way. Those are often the best.

The emotional aside, it's such a fun story! A little sea monster comes out the water drain while a girl is taking a bath. Early on, they decide that the monster must go back to live in the sea, but it gets bigger and bigger each day as the little girl puts off parting with her new friend.
Marie
A tale like they are rarely told these days. The relationship between the girl and the sea serpent is beautifully and richly developed with just a scant few phrases. The language is poetic. The girl shows a great maturity in helping the sea serpent to return to his home, though she will miss him terribly. The story echoes that of a parent raising a child, then encouraging the young adult to set out on his/her own. A gem of a book.
Julie
I really like reading this one on the last day that I have second grade, it is a really good bitter-sweet moving onto the next thing story (they change schools for third grade). Also, the author has put together some wonderful related resources on her website: http://www.dashkaslater.com/pdf/Sea_S...
Erin
One night, a little sea serpent flowed into a little girl's tub with her bath water. It grew bigger and bigger each day. The girl eventually got the sea serpent back to the sea but not before she had formed a great friendship.

Great for storytimes. Good story about loving something enough to let it go.
Denise
This a tad too long for preschool storytime, but would work for K-3. It's a story of friendship between a child and a sea serpent. Although a very unlikely pairing, the illustrations are beautiful and the story is touching. The child learns to let go and do what's right for the serpent.
Beth Chandler
Lovely, original story about a girl who makes friends with the tiny sea serpent that comes through her bath faucet...and grows and grows.

Pretty watercolor-style illustrations, lyrical text, and a warm relationship between the girl and sea serpent make this an enjoyable story.
Raegan Rocco
Nice picture book about finding a friend the flourishing of that friendship and then needing to say goodbye! Nice bright pictures! Will use as one of books I read for Summer Programs as it compliments program theme and overal Summer Reading Club Theme: Splash, Celebrate Summer!
Rachel
Nice story about a girl who befriends a quickly growing sea serpent. The illustrations are beautiful with strong colors and movement that convey lots of imagination. The stories theme however is a obvious and seems more of a message for adults than for children
Susan
I love this book. Not the rollicking fun of Kellogg's The Mysterious Tadpole, but it has its own special magic. I like anything Loch Ness monsterishy, and I love a children's story with that anything and everything might happen magical sensibility.
Clarissa
So, I don't usually include the picture books that I pick up from the library on my good reads list. However, I just read this one to my two little boys and had the darnedest time not breaking down as I finished reading. So, so sweet. LOVED it.
kim
Jan 03, 2014 kim rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
adorable! can't believe it's already out of print. the narrative tenses and pronouns drove me crazy the more i read it out loud though. the preschooler loved it, but i found myself editing the pronouns and he said/she said's as we went.
Hanna
Fantastic. Some people give it a lower rating because they fixate on the origin of the Sea Serpent into the bathroom, however as long as the reader doesn't fixate on that, I doubt the children listening to them will either.
Kathee
This is a sweet book for youngsters who need to learn the bitter sweet lesson of letting go for the good of someone (here a sea serepent) that you love. Maybe it's parents who will learn the lesson while reading the book aloud.
Bill
This has been a favorite of my girls for some time now. It's a sweet story of love and letting go. The illustrations are beautiful too.

Be careful though: Amy & I both tear up nearly every time we read it!
Cindi
Great watercolors.

I watched my daughters eyes brighten in amazement when the sea serpent came out of the faucet. My son pointed out some nice similes.

Just a soothing, nice story!
Samantha
Another one I reviewed for the collection and really enjoyed. A beautiful story about growing up and letting go. Nominated for the Maine Chickadee Award 2009-2010
Kris
What a gentle, whimsical, lovely story! The art is flowing and fun, and the author doesn't write down to her audience. Just right!
Amanda
Madam and I loved this book and had a discussion about sizes of sea serpents and whether or not they could be good pets.
Joelle
I was so enchanted by this book! The watercolor illustrations are just gorgeous and match the wonderful text beautifully.
  • Q Is for Duck: An Alphabet Guessing Game
  • Forever Friends
  • A Boy, a Dog, and a Frog
  • Wonder Bear
  • Traction Man Meets Turbo Dog
  • Dangerous Curves (NASCAR, #1)
  • Henry in Love
  • Murder at the Academy Awards: A Red Carpet Murder Mystery
  • The Luck of the Loch Ness Monster: A Tale of Picky Eating
  • Big Snow
  • Who Cloned the President? (Capital Mysteries #1)
  • The Boy Who Cried Bigfoot!
  • The Matchmakers
  • Would You Rather Be a Bullfrog?
  • Frank Was a Monster Who Wanted to Dance
  • Turtle's Penguin Day
  • When Santa Fell To Earth
  • Harry and Horsie
Dashka Slater’s novel, The Wishing Box, was named one of the best books of the year by the Los Angeles Times, which called it “an impish novel, hopeful and full of humor.” She is the author of four acclaimed children's books: Baby Shoes; Firefighters in the Dark; The Sea Serpent and Me and Dangerously Ever After.

Slater is also an award-winning journalist who has written for such publications as N...more
More about Dashka Slater...
Dangerously Ever After The Wishing Box Baby Shoes Firefighters in the Dark Lights, Camera, Alcatraz: Hollywood's View of an American Landmark