Start by marking “Model, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Model, Volume 1

Model, Volume 1 (Model #1)

3.62  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,350 Ratings  ·  53 Reviews
A Handsome Stranger with a Dark Secret ...

Jae is your typical struggling artist, studying in Europe and dreaming of a successful painting career. Typical, that is, until her friend drops off a rather inebriated -- though breathtakingly beautiful -- young man at her apartment one evening. That night, Jae dreams that the stranger visits her in her room ... and drinks her blo
216 pages
Published May 4th 2004 by TokyoPop (first published 1999)

Death Note, Vol. 1 by Tsugumi OhbaFullmetal Alchemist, Vol. 1 by Hiromu ArakawaFruits Basket, Vol. 1 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 1 by Bisco HatoriVampire Knight, Vol. 1 by Matsuri Hino
Best Manga Book Ever
205th out of 867 books — 3,242 voters
Nana, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaParadise Kiss, Vol. 1 by Ai YazawaNodame Cantabile, Vol. 1 by Tomoko NinomiyaMidnight Secretary, Vol. 01 by Tomu OhmiHoney and Clover, Vol. 1 by 羽海野チカ
Best Josei - Manga
33rd out of 125 books — 368 voters

More lists with this book...

Sara
I didn't care for these characters - very unlikable. The main character, Jae, is okay but I'm not sure I understand her or why she does what she does.

Personally, she needs to run very far away from these others but then sometimes vampires have a mind hold on you and you are not yourself. I can't tell, though, if that is why she stays with them.

I have the 2nd in the series already so I'll read that one, but at this point, I don't feel like pursuing this vampire manwha.
Kimberley doruyter
Jan 17, 2015 Kimberley doruyter rated it it was ok
the art was cool but the story was laking.
planetkimi
Dec 27, 2008 planetkimi rated it did not like it
Shelves: manga, josei, vampires
If I had realized that Model is one of those "sassy girl is going to prove the asshole man wrong about her" sorts of stories, I wouldn't have picked it up. But it is, and I didn't like it.

The first 33 pages were actually well-written, but after that ... the dialog turned to cardboard and the rest of the story is a yawn. And the caligraphic font that Tokyopop chose for Michael's dialog is nearly unreadable.
Lily
Aug 21, 2010 Lily rated it did not like it
The first 50 pages are good, but then everything gets boring. If it didn't said that the stranger is a male, I would of thought that he's a girl. The drawing made him look more like a female then male and his personalities get on my nerves.
Lauren
Apr 30, 2012 Lauren rated it it was ok
Shelves: manga
I almost did not like anything about this series and I am certainly not continuing on. I thought the drawing was interesting but that was the only plus side, the characters and storyline were boring.
Sugar
Oct 10, 2012 Sugar rated it it was ok
I purchased the first two volumes of this back in 2008. I wish I hadn't. It killed some time for me, but the books yielded nothing of substance. The characters were "meh" and the plot was likewise.
VampireNovelFan
"Despite your lack of talent, I enjoy the blood of artists."

For the introduction to this series we meet Jae, a struggling artist studying in Europe. One night her roommate drops of a drunk, but very beautiful male stranger, Michael, to their apartment and that's when her life changes. Intrigued by his beauty, Jae discovers he's actually a vampire. Instead of running away, Jae and Michael make a deal. She can paint his portrait in exchange for him drinking her blood.

She moves into his home and t
Caroline
May 30, 2009 Caroline rated it really liked it
This is a good start to an amazing series!
The scenario seems to be a played-out one: a young student finds a mysterious man in her apartment who turns out to be a vampire! And then she goes to live with him. Only...it's not a cliche at all.
First, Jae, the main character is super-cool. Most girls in comic books are either scarce, Mary-Sues, cutesy, blithering idiots, or a combination of several. Fortunately, Jae saves the role of comic heroine by being the strongest character in the saga. She's b
dummydums
Oct 12, 2010 dummydums rated it it was amazing
This book is absolutely alluring. I would recommend this to vampire fans, however, this just brushes lightly on vampire folklore. However, it tells of a romance between a vampire and a human, and how that human could win his cold heart. I am laughing at myself for writing that just now, because I am honestly not a big fan of romance novels. However, MODEL did it for me. It is honestly one of my most treasured MANGAs (I don't know if I am supposed to refer to this one as a MANHWA, as it is Korean ...more
Kirsten
Book: Model #1
Author: Lee So-Young
Genre: Manga (Romance/Horror)
Rating: 2/5

Synopsis:
A Handsome Stranger with a Dark Secret...
Jae is your typical struggling artist, studying in Europe and dreaming of a successful painting career. Typical, that is, until her friend drops off a rather inebriated - though breathtakingly beautiful - young man at her apartment one evening. That night, Jae dreams that the stranger visits her in her room...and drinks her blood!
But was it really all just a dream? Could t
V
Oct 18, 2012 V rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed, gn
Once upon a time, a girl named Plain Jane Jae moved to some undisclosed location in Europe from South Korea to study art. Her best friend Melissa goes out drinking one night and befriends an almost impossibly beautiful man named Michael. After he gets drunk, Melissa drags him to Jae's apartment, because it's closer than hers, and just leaves him there.

But in the morning, Jae wakes up from a terrible dream about a vampire biting her neck, only to find out that it wasn't a dream at all, and she's
Katy
Dec 07, 2015 Katy rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
This manga is not for everyone. First off, it's Korean rather than Japanese--which makes for differences subtle, but noticable, mostly in terms of the art. Second, it's shoujo, and has a very particular style--the characters are very androgynous and their features are very exaggerated (long necks, giant eyes and lips, etc.) But if you enjoy that style, as I do, or if you can get past it, there's a story here, and I think it surpasses the typical story of a girl falling in love with a vampire. Th ...more
Leila Anani
Feb 18, 2013 Leila Anani rated it liked it
Jae is a Korean art student living in Europe. Her life changes when her friend brings home a drunk guy and leaves him on her couch while she goes back to party. The guy is Michael a stunning vampire who wakes up hungry and goes straight for Jae's throat. Indignant Jae demands compensation and demands Michael model for her in exchange for blood. She moves into his gothic mansion where dark secrets abound. She must solve these mysteries and get to the real truth before she can paint a truly accura ...more
Daken Howlett
storia di amore gotico e vampirico con poca originalità e molti rimandi ad Ann Rice,la notevole realizzazione grafica e un bel colpo di scena nel finale del volume salvano una storia che tutto sommato ha un'inizio troppo lento e diversi momenti troppo scontati e prevedibili.
Charity
Jan 03, 2015 Charity rated it it was amazing
This story is captivating and a change from my normal Manga in the style of drawings. I love when there is strong female characters in the story who do not like to be pushed around. Jae's curiosity is the best part of her character.
Jen
Jul 29, 2012 Jen rated it really liked it
Ji Ye is a Korean art student who comes to Europe to study. Her brushstrokes aren't going as well as she would like, but she’s determined to make it as an artist. One evening her friend brings a drunk man over to crash at her pad. That night she has bad dreams that the drunk is really a blood-sucking vampire. But when she wakes up, she realizes it wasn't a dream! Unafraid, she's suddenly bitten by the creative bug, and starts to paint his portrait. His beauty and alluring preternatural energy le ...more
Kimberly
Jun 14, 2009 Kimberly rated it liked it
Shelves: manga-manhwa
A gorgeous manhwa from Korea, with several downpoints.
The vampire, Michael, really bothers me by the way he looks so feminine, but he ends up acting like a total a**. I mean, honestly, if you're going to let someone paint your portrait, maybe you should actually let them SEE you once in a while! And he's a total jerk around Jae.
And Jae, don't even get me STARTED on her. She's willing to follow a guy that she doesn't even know and move into his house just to paint his portrait. When she's done, s
Malia Frederick
Jun 12, 2015 Malia Frederick rated it liked it
I read this in 2006 and I loved it. Reading it again brings back great memories, but if you are looking for something substantial this probably isn't for you
Anastasia
Jun 29, 2015 Anastasia rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
It was a reread for me, but I quite enjoyed it. Can't say it's my favourite manhwa, but it's not bad.
Pamela
Sep 12, 2013 Pamela rated it it was ok
My first graphic novel, it was okay but difficult for me to follow and seemed to skip around a lot. I guess I just need to get used to the format of a graphic novel. The story is interesting but then the jumping around made it less interesting for me. I am going to red the second and hope it falls into place. Basically about a girl whose friend brings a vampire to her house and the relationship she is building or trying to build after he bites her. WHAT kind of friend leaves a strange man on you ...more
Anna Rebecca
Jun 04, 2011 Anna Rebecca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: manga, home-library
This series was recommended to me years ago by a friend because of my love for breathtakingly beautiful vampires. I’m glad I finally got around to reading it. This first volume was a great introduction to the series. The characters are flawlessly introduced and well developed. Although the storyline is satisfying, you’re left with enough questions to want to pick up the next volume to get your answers. And the answers promise to make for an amazing story. I highly recommend this series!
Pa Houa
Aug 16, 2016 Pa Houa rated it it was ok
At first I liked this manga. The art itself was amazing and beautiful. This is a series. To me it's pretty long. I wouldn't mind reading it but when I kept on reading it, it got boring and I was a little confused on what was going on. Most of the time when I'm confused on something I would keep on reading until it makes sense and it did at one point of the story. As the story progress it got to a point where I was bored of reading the book so I stopped.
Tricia
This was the first graphic novel I read, and at the time I was a little confused, earning it a mere three star rating. Maybe if I re-read it, now that I'm used to reading manhwa and manga and the like, I'd appreciate it more. Although the words "handsome stranger" and "dark secret" are used, and that's usually Game Over for me. Heard it all before! Maybe I should give it a chance. I dunno.
Monika Robinson
Feb 11, 2013 Monika Robinson rated it liked it
I really like the art, but not the story. It's not bad, but it's not good either. It's a typical vampire story where the vampire is mean to the human girl while she defends herself and try to fin more about him. Michael's lettering when he speaks needs some getting used to and is something difficult to read. I'll keep on reading because I like the art though.
Kathryn Leonard
Apr 14, 2013 Kathryn Leonard rated it it was amazing
Overall this book was incredible.It has a slow story which ordinarily I don't like but this one was really good.It's great for a quick read manga and the illustrations are like a candy store for people into classic and elegant anime(like me).I don't like most vampire stories but this one was a definite exception.
Miss Ryoko
Jun 03, 2009 Miss Ryoko rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga
Model is a very interesting manga (is that what they are called as well in Korea?). The art is beautiful! The only problem I have with it is sometimes I get confused because the main male character Michael (who is on the cover) looks like woman. Haha! But otherwise, the series caught my attention.
Bonnie
Feb 19, 2013 Bonnie rated it really liked it
The artwork in Model is haunting and original; very different in style than other manga. The plot is not the most complex, nor is its premise unheard of, but the Korean mythology that unfolds as the series continues is enchanting, even if the story is nearly as indulgent as a fan fiction.
Vergil
Jan 31, 2012 Vergil rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abandon, manga
okay, In my own opinion it was the MOST boring vampire manga I have ever read.....
and i barely read vampire manga books! I cried at the end, because it was a sad ending, but it is still a horrible book that almost made me fall asleep
Leann
Dec 27, 2011 Leann rated it liked it
This is a pretty cool series. The vampires are not the cuddly type here. There is a great tension between the vampire man and the human girl as she attempts to understand and empathize with someone seemingly so removed and cold.
Megan
Jun 08, 2008 Megan rated it liked it
Interesting manhwa about a woman who makes a deal with a vampire: she will give him her blood, if she can use him as her sketching model. In the events of the first book, she comes to live at his house.
  • The Tarot Cafe, #1
  • Snow Drop, Volume 1
  • Les Bijoux, Volume 1
  • Pet Shop of Horrors, Volume 07 (Pet Shop of Horrors, #7)
  • Mars, Volume 10
  • Kill Me, Kiss Me Volume 1 (Kill Me, Kiss Me, #1)
  • Chocolat, Volume 1
  • Shutterbox Volume 1: Orientation (Shutterbox, #1)
  • Trinity Blood, Vol. 7
  • Alichino (Alichino, #1)
  • Arcana Vol 1
  • Paradise Kiss, Vol. 3 (Paradise Kiss, #3)

Model (7 books)