Marmalade Boy, Volume 1

Marmalade Boy, Volume 1 (Marmalade Boy #1)

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  6,395 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Talk about dysfunctional! Miki is horrified to learn that her parents have swapped with another couple, and that all four now plan to live under one roof. But when her new stepbrother, Yuu, shows up, he appears to be just the one to ease her mental anguish... that is, until she sees the bitterness beneath his cool exterior. The strange romance that follows would make any l...more
Published April 23rd 2002 by TokyoPop (first published December 8th 1992)

Monica!
So how’s this for a shitty way to wake up? Miki comes downstairs one morning and is met by her parents, who flash her the peace sign and cheerfully announce that, “Hey girl! We’re getting a divorce! Huggles!”

But not just an out-of-nowhere divorce, friends.

No, that would be bad enough.

The thing is, last month when the two of them were taking a romantic Hawaiian vacation, her parents met another couple. And you know how it is, introductions were made, drinks were had by all, and the next thing yo...more
Starbubbles
this was my first obsession series! i love it, almost every second of the series! two families decide to divorce and remarry each other, and just watch the mayhem unfold. ex-girlfriends, past loves, possible new loves, trying to rekindle old loves, in just the first book!
i think i need to pick it up again, it's just that great!
Kuno
Sep 02, 2013 Kuno rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romantic comedy fans, love-triangle fans
I found my heart beating so fast while reading this, and I don't know why. I guess this manga is just that good, at least for me. I hope to read the rest of the manga series~
Anne L
Cute manga, just love the characters.
Yukino
è TUTTO MIO!!!

Finalmente dopo anni riesco ad avere tra le mani questo meraviglioso manga.

Meraviglioso è dir poco!

é stato uno dei miei primi letti..però "scroccato" da un'amica, perchè avendo visto l'anime ero rimasta insoddisfatta fino a quando lei mi dice che il manga c'era!!! (chissa perchè avevo pensato non ci fosse..ah beata innocenza!) e così l'ho letto d'un fiato!

Altro che il cartone in tv! Ora si che tutto aveva senso!

Ecco perchè era iper censurato!!! Bhè dai..due famiglie che si incontra...more
Lucía Sancho-Arroyo
Volver a tener estas viñetas entre mis manos ha despertado sentimientos que permanecían latentes. Sé que Miki en ocasiones es una histérica, Yu casi indescifrable, Ginta histriónico, la historia edulcorada, pero SIGO AMÁNDOLA, considerándola una de las mejores niponas en su género. Y lo que otros considerarían fallos, yo los considero la clave del éxito. Los personajes son realistas, pero exhiben ese toque claramente exagerado de los mangas y animes, que tanto nos gusta.
Esta colección recopila l...more
Douglas Cootey
My introduction to this series by Wataru Yoshizumi was with the anime, so the manga lacks the pastel moments that made the anime stand out for me. In fact, comparatively the manga art never rises above competent. Yet, the manga has its own charm found in the strong character of Miki.

In this volume we learn Miki's parents met another couple on vacation and decided to swap partners. This is shocking enough until Miki learns the other couple has a teenage boy named Yuu and that both couples have d...more
Judy (Geeky Reading)
Elie
This is a must-read I'd recommend to whoever wants to read a romantic manga.

This series is cute, simple, it isn't written for people to torture their mind. This, though, isn't a bad thing, because when you start reading it you know what you're expecting to get. There is no surprise. I really enjoyed reading it because it was what I needed to read at that time. Something which would lead my mind away from my daily life, something which wasn't happening in a universe too far away from mine. They'r...more
Juwairiah Omar
MARMALADE BOY is about a lovely high school girl named Mikuu who falls head over heals in love for Yuu, a charming and sometimes shy young man. But theres a twist..Yuu is here stepbrother?!?!?!?! When i first began to read MARMALADE BOY i was in a bit of shock.....actually alot of shock! I could not seem to wrap the thought of a stepbrother and a stepsister falling in love with each other! But than I began to think about it...and i thought as i got older "oh. You know what. It's not like they ar...more
Daniela Lanza

Marmalade Boy
Book Review

Marmalade Boy, (book 1) is about Miki’s parents getting divorced and she feels really upset about it. She wishes she can change what’s happening, but she doesn’t want her parents to be sad and do what Miki always says. Miki’s parents are still going to live in the same house their just going to have new partners. I think the author wrote this book to talk about her life in general. I think this probably happened in her life, and she wanted people to know what it was like...more
Heather
Ah, I love Marmalade Boy. I watched the whole anime series when I was a teenager, so I was excited to see that my public library had the English manga.

Wataru Yoshizumi's artwork is intricate and cute. The story is basically a teen soap opera with a somewhat believable twist--Miki and Yuu's respective parents meet each other on a trip to Hawaii and decide to swap partners, getting divorced and remarried. The only catch is that they are all going to live in the same house as one big family. Miki i...more
Susan
My tour through old manga continues....

Marmalade Boy was one of Tokyopop's first "100% Authentic Manga". In addition to presenting the material in an unflipped format, they snuck cultural information in the sidebars a mangaka usually uses to thank everybody for reading this volume. It's a great presentation and it had a tremendous impact on the US manga market.

Yoshizumi sets up an intriguing love triangle in this first volume: will Miki fall for hot-and-cold-running bad boy Yuu, who stole her fi...more
Jayz
Sep 26, 2008 Jayz rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!
Recommended to Jayz by: Found it myself.
Ok, guys, this is going to be my review for the whole series (as far as I've read). I absoluely loooooved this manga. For thos of you who don't know what manga is, its a kind of book from Japan that reads right to left. Most of these are graphic novels. I dunno if they count with Mrs. W though. But anyway, this series is about a girl named Miki whos family has a unique problem. Miri's parents went on a romantic trip together and met another couple. Miri's dad ironically fell in love the the woma...more
Selena
This was an experimental one for Tokyopop, I swear.

This was one of the first manga they left "flipped" Japanese style, if I remember correctly, and they also left Japanese words sprinkled throughout. Bad idea.

Story-wise, it's okay at best. It's a confusing story about two couples who literally play permanent wife-swap and then all move in together for their two children to still have both parents. Oh, and it seems there is a budding romance between our horrified heroine, Miki, and her new stepbr...more
Chelsea
Contains Chapters 1 - 5: This series looks really interesting and I am looking forward to reading the next volume.
-Marimar-
Tierno y divertido. Un soplo de aire fresco para mí en este momento.
Lexie
Holy shit I forgot how annoying Ginta and Miki were originally...also bad haircut is a BAD HAIRCUT. Matching your crush isn't cool Miki. Ginta you overblown immature jackass your excuses and victim blaming was pitiful. "I didn't want to incur their anger wah wah wah" Did you think even if Miki HAD NOT been standing there she wouldn't have heard your callous words from someone?? Guys gossip too!! IDIOTS. Meanwhile Yuu keep on at it man, you remain a fav.

And no your parents are hella weird even by...more
Ninja Neko
I've seen some Marmalade Boy anime years ago (the OVA?) and didn't care for it. So even though it's one of the very few translated shoujo mangas available on the Flemish market I've never picked it up... until I saw it at the library and figured I'd have a look. And I'm totaly converted - it's actually pretty great! Silly (the good, Japanese kind of silly I love), a fun heroine, a good love triangle, and on top of that I really like the art too. I think I may have to buy this series after all.
Stephanie
Jun 26, 2008 Stephanie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: teenagers who like shoujo/"girly" manga
I've read all eight volumes, but I'm only marking one for simplicity's sake, and because adding seven extra books is rather misleading as far as book quantity goes ;).

I was addicted to this series when I read it back when I was fourteen, but having re-read it as a new adult of sorts, I found the tone was WAY too soap-opera-y for me to handle in large doses. I think the concept of the series is still cute, but I wouldn't say I'd go out of my way to read it these days either.
Chibineko
I'm reading this via MangaFox.

This is actually fairly cute. I'm looking forward to seeing the differences between the manga and the anime, most notably the shift that happens partway through the series and how the author changed it to a far different ending than what she'd originally planned.

(See Wikipedia for what I mean by this. It's spoilerish enought that I don't want to include it here.

Irene
MARMALADE BOY. OHHHHHHHHH MARMALADE BOY <33333333 Dios, me encanta. Todavía recuerdo cuando me levantaba de pequeña para verlo, antes de ir al cole. Después de muchos años sin verlo todavia me acordaba de Miki y Yuu. Es un romance que me encanta. Si os consideráis amantes de Shôjo, este manga no pude faltar en vuestra lista. Y si veis el anime pues mejor, porque aunque yo prfiero manga a anime, el anime tiene una música PRECIOSA, que te hace llorar. <3
Azzahro Wijaya
Di awal cerita, pwmbaca bakalan dikagetin sama orangtuanya miki yang bilang sama miki kalau mereka mau cerai dengan wajah yang begitu bahagia. Mereka seakan-akan bertukar pasangan sama orang tuaanya Yuu. Dan akhirnya Miki dan Yuu jatuh cinta. Bagaimana mereka bisa menjalin cinta yang rumit karena orang tua mereka ini? itulah yang membuat komik ini begitu menarik!
Lissa Loran
I've read the entire series twice and loved it even more the second time around! Although I'm not fond of the older style of the manga, the characters were still cute and unique. I loved the two main characters' relationship and watching it grow. It's a hilarious and very sweet story that will definitely leave tears in your eyes for more than one reason!
Kristy Buzbee
I've been meaning to read this one, and finally found it (it's out of print). The premise is completely unbelievable, but hey - that's what manga plotlines are all about, right? It had some really, really funny parts that had me laughing out loud and getting weird looks from my mom. Definitely curious what happens next.
Michelle
I almost like this series better than Ultra Maniac... I really like Yuu. I will see which series I like better once I finish Marmalade Boy. Anyway, all my friends are making fun of me for reading it, but you know what? It may be corny, cheesy, classic shojo manga, but it's GOOD corny cheesy classic shojo manga.
AshleyiSee
I love the ridiculous beginning plot! The parents? Seriously? It's interesting learning small differences about another culture through such a a hilarious and well drawn medium! I only wish my library had all the volumes! This first one did not disappoint!
Sora
This is my favorite book, its the first manga I read. Now, Sailor Moon is the first anime I watched, not fond of it much but I kinda like it. This is the first manga I read, and I won't stop laughing after rereading it 5 million times. Its so good, and I totally love it.
  • Kodocha: Sana's Stage, Vol. 01
  • Mars, Volume 03
  • Kare Kano: His and Her Circumstances, Vol. 2
  • Peach Girl, Vol. 1 (Peach Girl, #1)
  • Imadoki!: Nowadays, Vol. 01: Dandelion
  • Paradise Kiss, Volume 2
  • Boys Over Flowers: Hana Yori Dango, Vol. 1 (Boys Over Flowers, #1)
Wataru Yoshizumi (吉住渉, Yoshizumi Wataru) is a Japanese mangaka. She was born as Mari Nakai (中井 真里, Nakai Mari) on June 18, 1963 in Tokyo, Japan. She graduated with a degree in economics from Hitotsubashi University.

Yoshizumi started her career as a mangaka while working as an office lady. Her debut manga was a yomikiri (short story) called "Radical Romance" that was published in 1984, in the summe...more
More about Wataru Yoshizumi...
Ultra Maniac, Vol. 01 Ultra Maniac, Vol. 02 Marmalade Boy, Vol. 02 Marmalade Boy, Vol. 05 Ultra Maniac, Vol. 04

“this book puts the FUN in Disfunctional” 10 likes