Kare First Love, Volume 1

Kare First Love, Volume 1 (KARE First Love #1)

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  3,092 ratings  ·  33 reviews
The age-old dilemma of choosing between your friend and the one you love is the lesson for the day for these bubbly high schoolers. 16-year-old Karin Karino finds herself torn between keeping the friendship of her classmate Yuka and entertaining the advances of a boy named Kiriya. Plain-Jane Karin experiences the gut-tingling roller coaster ride for her love and first kiss...more
Published September 7th 2004 by VIZ Media LLC (first published July 26th 2002)

Maid-sama! Vol. 01 by Hiro FujiwaraFruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho Shiina
Great Romance Manga Reads!
41st out of 302 books — 411 voters
Fruits Basket, Volume 01 by Natsuki TakayaOuran High School Host Club, Vol. 01 by Bisco HatoriSkip Beat!, Vol. 01 by Yoshiki NakamuraKimi ni Todoke by Karuho ShiinaPretty Guardian Sailor Moon, Vol. 1 by Naoko Takeuchi
Essential Shoujo Manga
34th out of 87 books — 78 voters

More lists with this book...

Arlene
Nov 13, 2010 Arlene rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Arlene by: Alexa. Thank you!!!
I was looking to find a substitute for my Vampire Knight manga obsession and I seem to have landed on just the right series. Thanks Alexa! XD

Kare First Love by Kaho Miyasaka was a great kickoff to what I feel will be an entertaining series. I like the two main characters in this book. They are little more bold than I am used to, which is actually very refreshing and enjoyable.

The plot is intriguing but not uncommon as it deals with the age old dilemma of a guy coming in between two friends. Howe...more
Michelle
Nov 15, 2007 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: anyone who loves romance mangas
Shelves: manga
I really don't know why I love so much. Maby it's the art or maby because it's a Romance Manga. I don't know. I just love it!!!
Lord
Dec 04, 2008 Lord rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: manga
Incredibly boring manga. I pitty myself for buying three volumes at once.
Judy
I'm on a manga kick lately since I found out my public library actually has a pretty decent manga selection (which is odd considering it's a small town library in the prairies, which isn't well known for diversity).

Shojo/shoujo manga is actually my guilty pleasure. Considering I like female characters who are strong, independent and where their lives revolve around something other than boys.

Of course Kare First Love features none of these things. Karin, the main character is shy and awkward and...more
Sam Brattle
This manga had me hooked from volume 1 it has romance, drama, excitement and is a short manga series ending at 10 volumes. You get to really get involved with the characters and their emotions, this is a gripping manga and a must for all fans of romance.
Linnea
This book was so good, I CAN'T WAIT TO READ THE SECOND ONE!!
Elena
Got old and cliche after awhile.
Nina
It took me a while to decide, whether or not I like this manga. It was okay. I have a few things that I did not like though. When it started I really didn't like the plot. I felt like this was truly the most typical manga for girls. Really. Girl all awkward, boy all dreamy, they go the separate schools for boys and girls... It all felt so terribly predictable.

Also, something I wasn't very fond of were the characters. Ah. First just let me point out how much it annoys me that the characters here...more
Judy (Geeky Reading)
~3/5

I read several books in this series a long time ago, and remembered really liking it. I’ve had my eye on the series for a while, wanting to read more of it, but just not getting around to getting any of the volumes. I’ve finally decided to jump on board with it, though, and got a few volumes the other day, and am in the works of getting the rest of the series.

It’s starting out similar to what I remember, but so much of it is a blank for me, that I’m enjoying re-reading it so far. Also, the b...more
Destiny
This title was recommended to me by GR.

What I thought at first: Oh she seems like me when I was younger. Afraid to speak up, letting people walk all over her.

What I thought next: Wtf? This Kirya dude is a piece of work. His friends are asses, he kinda is too.

What I thought after that: The non friend girl seems nice. She should be friends with her rather than the girl she's actually friends with.

What I'm thinking now: The premise is interesting and I can definitely see myself reading more of this...more
Selena
This is definitely a guilty pleasure series of mine.

It's the story of a geeky high school ugly duckling who accidentally meets a guy and falls in love. Throughout the ups and downs of their relationship, you can still tell they love each other.

Yes, this is a total wishful thinking kind of series, and it's definitely steeped in the "old-fashioned" idea that women in Japan should marry out of high school with some more modern ideology thrown in. It really is the struggle of a modern Japanese girl...more
Sara
Strangely, I liked this. I feel like this is more of a guilty pleasure sort of read and I don't necessarily recommend it unless you are in the mood for it. I really like how Karin is shy and introverted and it makes me really sympathize with her. I'm not completely sold on Kiriya (he tends to be an alpha) but he has a tender side with his photography. Her friend, Yuka, just sucks. I don't like high school drama, and this does tend to have some- however, I am interested in reading a little bit mo...more
Elizabet Luna
Can't wait for the next book.
Gemma
May 24, 2008 Gemma rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: manga fans looking for something sweet and uncomplicated
Shelves: manga
I'm only just getting in to manga, and picked this book up because of the blurb (I'm actually not a fan of the cover art).

The artwork inside is beautiful, and I love how simple this story is! Following the life of one high school girl as she begins to learn who her true friends are, overcomes her shyness, and falls in love, this is a wonderful look at the inner workings of a sweet heroine with an uncomplicated plot, and the kind of art and dialogue that keeps you turning the pages.

This is fast b...more
RogueHireling
Cute high school romance.
Some good things: girl doesn't let herself get pressured into having sex. Frienemies are there but resolved. Though the characters struggle they are kind and sweet and innocent.
Bad things: glasses still equal ugly. Lots of pressure for sex, huge theme. Girl finds her purpose because of boy. Boy on the other hand has a whole outside relationship story arc.
Charly
Mar 08, 2012 Charly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Charly by: Anime Boston
This was wonderful! So sweet, too. The first manga I've ever read and then gone out and bought more of. I currently own the entire series, and it only took me a few weeks to get all of them.
The art is refreshingly simple and detailed without making it seem old fashioned, and the characters are just adorable.
Karaoke OK
[Series Length: 10 volumes / Read: volumes 1-10]

Solidly written teen romance drama (with minor doses of comedy).

(Would you like me to post an additoinal review of this series? Feel free to place a request in my GoodReads InBox. Thanks!)
emily_oriley
I first picked this book up because the art reminded me of Peach Girl and I thought it was done by the same author. By the first few pages, I was hooked. I could relate to Karin more than any other character in any other series.
Nadhifah Andrianto
love affair, feverish girl, suka banget sama semua karya miyasaka kaho.kecuali yg kiss in the blue. terlalu pendek dan alurnya maju mundur jadi gak terlalu asik buat dibaca
THEBEAM
อ่านมานานมากกกกกกกกแล้ว แต่ยังจำได้ดีเลยแหละ
ว่ามันสนุกมาก ถือว่าเป็นการ์ตูนผู้หญิงชุดแรกมั้งที่ตามอ่านจนจบ (มี 10 เล่มจบ)
มีหลากหลายอารมณ์ ไม่น่าเบื่อดี
ชอบๆ
Rachel
I really enjoy the artwork in this series - more so than the story itself, which is a bit too teen for my blood, but no less addicting for it. Very cute.
Kerr
Little bit cute. I may have to read the rest! For some reason this reminded me somewhat of MARS. Guess it was the 'hot' guy, the 'nothing' girl and the bike!
Niratisaya
read it when I was S1 and enjoyed it with my girl friends, giggling about the story, which honestly plainly cliche. but it's nice, though :)
Brittany
I love this series I own the entie set, a beautiful story and beautiful illustrations.
Amy
Aug 20, 2009 Amy added it
Kare First Love, Volume 1 (Kare First Love (Graphic Novels)) by Kaho Miyasaka (2004)
Victoria
this was a good book and i couldn't wait to read the next one
Helena
this is really cute
but i cant fing REALLY good manga lately
  • Happy Hustle High, Vol. 1
  • B.O.D.Y., Volume 1
  • Sensual Phrase, Vol. 1
  • Crimson Hero, Vol. 1 (Crimson Hero, # 1)
  • Love Attack, Volume 1
  • Moe Kare!!, Vol. 01
  • Ai Hime ~ Ai to Himegoto, Vol. 01
  • Backstage Prince, Vol. 1 (Backstage Prince, #1)
  • Monkey High!, Vol. 1
  • Cherry Juice, Vol. 01
  • Fall in Love Like a Comic!, Vol. 01
  • Mars, Volume 02
  • V.B. Rose Volume 1
Kaho Miyasaka born October 17 in Chiba Prefecture, Japan is a mangaka.
Miyasaka is best known for the manga "Kare First Love".
Her newest manga is called "We Came to Know It" (僕達は知ってしまった, Bokutachi wa Shitte Shimatta), which currently consists of 10 volumes.
More about Kaho Miyasaka...
Kare First Love, Volume 2 (Kare First Love) Kare First Love, Volume 3 (Kare First Love) Kare First Love, Volume 4 Kare First Love, Volume 10 Kare First Love, Volume 5