Start by marking “Inubaka: Crazy For Dogs, Volume 1” as Want to Read:
Inubaka: Crazy For Dogs, Volume 1

Inubaka: Crazy For Dogs, Volume 1 (Inubaka #1)

All alone except for her loyal mutt Lupan, 18-year-old Suguri moves from the countryside to the big city to find a job and a new life!

When she accepts a job at a pet store, she meets a variety of dogs and owners, each with own quirky personality. What she lacks in

experience, she makes up for with her natural rapport with all things wagging and fluffy!

Published February 20th 2007 by VIZ Media LLC

To ask other readers questions about Inubaka, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inubaka

Jessica-Robyn
Jul 18, 2012 Jessica-Robyn rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who don't shy away from poop in all its forms.
There are two things you absolutely need to know.
1. This book is about dogs, any story that happens to take place is accidental.
2. There are more then enough gross out moments, but they aren't always acquainted to humour.

This first volume of Inubaka started strong for me. It seemed set to be a rare manga just about humour, but it didn't have any follow through. It read like it couldn't decide what it wanted to be. It's marketed like Shoujo and has all of the normal trappings for that genre, b
Kat (Lost in Neverland)
When I first started this book, I really didn't like it. The plot was too over-sexualized, (i.e. two dogs mating in public, a couple sleazy guys picking up the main character on the side of the road, main character undressing in her work uniform, etc.) and I just didn't like it. It sort of got better the more I read, but I still wasn't that into it.

In the middle of the book, the owner of the pet shop got angry at the main character for wanting her dog and his dog to have puppies. He started ran
Alise  (Readers in Wonderland)
That was kind of depressing... Liked the dogs but disagreed with some of the concepts.
Morgan
Jan 25, 2008 Morgan rated it liked it
Shelves: ya
This is *my* graphic novel :)

I love it because it is set in a Japanese dog store and there are always cute little furry critters gracing the pages!
Sarai
Sep 16, 2010 Sarai rated it liked it
This manga has a lot of information on the care of dogs, almost to the point of being more instructive than a story. The characters are kind of typical - ditzy, naive heroine and mysterious, brooding hero. The art is pretty good. There are some sad moments involving the animals. Overall, I liked it all right. I probably won't read more because of the sad animal parts, though. I'm just too sensitive to that sort of thing.

Product Description
All alone except for her loyal mutt Lupin, 18-year-old Su
Carrie
Mar 05, 2008 Carrie rated it it was amazing
This is a very cute and rather humorous manga about Suguri, a dog-loving girl who wants to get away from the strict rule of her parents. She ends up working in a dog shop. Its owner, Teppei, finds Suguri to be a complete faliure at first. However, she seems to have a special something when it comes to dogs...
I thought Suguri a good character in that she has a strong personality and well-defined flaws. (I love sufficiently yet realistically flawed characters. They're far more interesting than th
Miss Ryoko
Jun 03, 2013 Miss Ryoko rated it liked it
Shelves: manga, library-book
I wasn't really sure how I felt about this during the beginning of the volume, but once Suguri went to work in Teppei-san's shop, I ended up starting to like the book. The puppies are all so cute! And the storyline with Ricky was so sad :-(

What I find most interesting about the art of this series is the men actually look Asian. The girls still have the standard manga look (and I know why) but manga characters don't often look Japanese or any type of Asian. So I think it's pretty cool they do in
C
Sep 30, 2010 C rated it it was ok
I don't think I've ever seen a dog series so focused on the rear end of the dog. It's like Sakuragi felt this side of things was neglected. And, of course, a girl truly crazy about dogs would love every last bit of them, right down to observing the nature of their bowel movements.

I could definitely do without the fecal focus. And this within the first couple chapters. I hope the "no, she did not just do that..." moments cool off a bit.

Edit:

First, there's much better manga out there, and much hea
Courtney
Mar 09, 2013 Courtney rated it it was amazing
1st read April 2010(ish).

Suguri is a clueless girl from the country who decides to move to Tokyo in an attempt to become more independent. After a series of misadventures, she's offered a place at the pet shop Woofles. But working at the shop brings all new adventures of its own.

This is a really cute book (I love the way all the dogs are illustrated). The characters are interesting and relate-able (for a pet lover, at least). We're eventually introduced to new characters as well as the charact
Dec 15, 2010 Sarah rated it really liked it
This is the first graphic novel I've read. I thought I should broaden my reading experience a little, and after browsing the shelves at the library, I thought this title might be one I could enjoy. I liked the title, "Crazy for dogs," because I consider myself a dog lover. I was drawn in by the dog on cover. Then, while flipping through, I saw all the other illustrations of adorable dogs inside. That was enough for me to give it a try.

The story started kind of slow, but of course, this is the be
Jay
May 08, 2011 Jay rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Doggy lovers everywhere.
I really enjoyed this book. It's a great introduction to the dog enthusiast world and, predictably, I recommend it to anyone who loves dogs or has a dog they love.

I found it so refreshing that the author was so blunt from the start - touching on key things like dealing with dog poo and the common issue of families buying a pet dog to change their minds. Quite touching in places... as well as hilarious! Lupin the adorable mongrel is my favourite character!

The art is very easy on the eye and, spea
Dorcas
Jul 05, 2008 Dorcas rated it really liked it
A country, crazy about dogs (and they're just as crazy for her) goes to work in the city at a pet shop, learning the ups and downs of caring for animals.
The renditions of the dogs are much more lifelike than the human characters, but that just adds to the charm of this series. They're just so cute! It's rated for older teens, mostly because of the gratuitous flesh shots and sometimes suggestive themes, like the short shorts and one of her co-workers trying to talk the female lead into working as
Erica
Jul 11, 2008 Erica rated it liked it
This is another of the first manga books I read this week in preparation for the first meeting of the Manga Club at the library.

I'm trying to get into the aesthetics of it. I have to say, it was easy to get sucked in and the more manga I read, the easier it is to get used to the style.

This is a bit of a strange story. I'm trying to think how I'm going to shelve it because some of the content seems a bit mature for young children.

I'll definitely check out the next volume about a girl who's "craz
Christie
Dec 18, 2014 Christie rated it liked it
Shelves: manga
It took me a while to get through this manga, I started back in Dec and had to put it down two or three times. Even though the illustrations are very feminine and cutesy and detailed, it was hard for me to get into the actual story. At the beginning the main character gets in what looks like possible huge trouble and I thought I was gonna hate the book but luckily it didn't go there, and the story kinda saved itself later. I'm curious to read the second volume and see if there is a romance betwe ...more
Chloe Lyn
May 13, 2013 Chloe Lyn rated it it was amazing
I love this series,I might be biased as I like animals but this one is funny,really XD

True there are poop and pee,but people who have pets will be ok with this (and mangaka did not drew them gross lol).

There are many heart-warming moments in the series. Abandoned dogs and pets, demised dogs, dog healers, etc.

I learnt a lot from the series too,basic dog stuffs and most importantly about adopting dogs in need and importance of spay and neuter. I love dogs and animals even more after reading the s
Angela
Jun 08, 2008 Angela rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone who likes both dogs and manga
Shelves: dogs, comics
This comic series is goofy, silly, and unreasonably entertaining. If you like both dogs and comedy, you will probably love it - it has a very wide appeal.

In each volume, Sugiru meets someone who needs her help, usually because they come into the pet store where she works. Their problems seem to revolve around dogs, but usually they go far deeper than that. While helping them with their dog problems, Sugiru often changes their life in the process.

The episodic nature of the series makes it more en
Aubrey Hansen
Apr 26, 2013 Aubrey Hansen rated it it was ok
Fairly typical shojo plot. The art is good and of course all the dog stuff is cute, but the sexual references are a bit heavy. Most of them are in relation to dogs and their natural behavior, but some in relation to humans, although the only thing shown on screen is some suggestive immodesty. It was all right, and I might continue reading it, but it's the kind of plot that can easily go south...
Lauren
Mar 05, 2014 Lauren rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Dog geeks
This manga's excessive on the toilet humor; I agree with most of the other reviewers on that, although it's mildly (not fully) excused by the fact that, as any dog owner will tell you, crap is kinda a fact of life with dogs. In spite of that, the manga's very cute overall, and I couldn't help but like the main character, two-dimensional though she may be. The dogs are very well drawn and realistic. I think it's only the type of manga to pick up if you're a dog geek like I am, though.
narajaponesa
Aug 25, 2008 narajaponesa rated it liked it
Because this one is more true-to-life than the fantastical manga I usually read, this one brought me much nostalgia. I remember looking through the panels and thinking, "Wait, I remember this is what Japanese girls wore when I was there." I checked the publication date. And sho' 'nuff, this was released in 2004. So thank you, InuBaka, for bringing Nippon back to me!
Emily
Dec 29, 2010 Emily rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
This was recommended to me by a friend, and I'm glad she did! The story is ok, but being 'Crazy for Dogs' myself, I really like the stories surrounding the different dogs and how the main character has a special way of communicating with the puppies.

The dogs are drawn soooo cute in here, it's hard for me to turn the pages sometimes! Good story overall.... poor Rickey! :(
Wolf Force
Feb 22, 2013 Wolf Force rated it it was amazing
This manga is excellent for dog lovers...but it seems it got cancelled? =( Which is awful to leave it where the last manga stopped! Some parts might be gross or lewd, definitely not for younger audiences, but it's a great dog lover's manga with beautiful illustrations and a nice story line. Now if only they'd continue it!
Karaoke OK
Jan 30, 2009 Karaoke OK rated it really liked it
Shelves: manga-favorites
[Series Length: 13+ volumes / Read: volumes 1-11]

Fairly straightforward feel-good story that starts off slow (no major conflict until about the 10th volume) but picks up later on. Extremely detailed artwork.

(Would you like me to post a more in-depth review of this series? Feel free to place a request in my GoodReads InBox. Thanks!)
Karsyn Taylor
Nov 23, 2008 Karsyn Taylor rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-own
Normaly I'm not in to the whole manga thing because I prefer to picture the story in my own imagination, but on occasion I run across a few manga's that are must reads because they catc my interest somehow. This one simple being that I am in fact 'Crazy for Dogs'
Aug 19, 2015 Jennifer rated it liked it
This is my kind of manga! Cute story about a naive country girl that ends up working at a pet shop in the city. Lots of silly random things happen to her and the dogs she cares for. Sure there are tons of plot loopholes but this is an enjoyable read when you're looking for something fun.
Antoinette
Aug 23, 2008 Antoinette rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: manga fans, dog lovers, Japanese culture addicts
Shelves: manga
This is my first manga, and I chose it because I like dogs. I have never been into comic books or manga, but I am trying to read different media. I liked it! Reading it at night gave me strange dreams, and it functioned as happy candy for the brain. I am going to read more. Bizarre and cute!
Sandy D.
Weird, weird characters with ridiculous plot/action choices, but very cool drawings. And the insights into Japanese culture are interesting.
Gauri
Aug 06, 2008 Gauri rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Dog lovers
Recommended to Gauri by: nobody I just liked the title
One of the best manga's I've read I'm crazy for dogs!
Wendy T
Jul 08, 2009 Wendy T rated it it was ok
Recommended to Wendy T by: Dylan
Not my kind of read.
Sienna
May 25, 2013 Sienna rated it it was amazing
I love it it is allabout loads of puppies and dogs cant whait to read the others!
I read it so many times!
  • R.O.D. Read or Die 3 (R.O.D. Read or Die, #3)
  • Animal Academy: Hakobune Hakusho, Volume 1
  • Train Man: Densha Otoko, (Train-Man, #1)
  • Bokurano: Ours, Vol. 1
  • Kingdom Hearts, Vol. 3 (Kingdom Hearts, #3)
  • Chibisan Date Volume 1
  • Translucent, Volume 1
  • After School Nightmare, Volume 3
  • Cantarella Vol. 1
  • Mark of the Succubus, vol. 1 (Mark of the Succubus, #1)
  • My Girlfriend's a Geek, Volume 1
  • Otomen, Vol. 2 (Otomen, #2)
  • Grammar Girl's 101 Words Every High School Graduate Needs to Know
  • The Queen's Knight, Volume 1
  • Fool's Gold, Vol. 1
  • Guru Guru Pon-Chan, Volume 1
  • Pixie Pop: Gokkun Pucho, Vol. 1
Genres
Seinen(3) Comedy(2) Drama(2) Romance(2) Ecchi(1) Slice of Life(1)
More about Yukiya Sakuragi...

Inubaka (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Inubaka: Crazy for Dogs, Volume 2