Start by marking “Fallen” as Want to Read:
Fallen

Fallen

My name is Isra. I am one of two remaining angels. You see, when God vanished, Lucifer threw open his gates and unleashed his macabre horde on Earth. Great fiery fissures collapsed cities and rural areas alike, the very ground roiling like a stormy sea of unbearable heat. Angels fell like burning rain from the sky, as they tried to repel the attack and protect humankind. ...more
Published July 10th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Fallen, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fallen

Lorelle
Dec 10, 2013 Lorelle rated it liked it
3.5

Great writing, but it went too far down the religious path for me. It was darker than I was expecting, and even her attempts at light heartedness along the way, were not enough to reduce how depressing this was at times. I am a character driven reader and there wasnt enough people for Isra to interact with and bounce off. Nice and short though. Im glad the last 20% didnt drag. Brave woman for tackling a sensitive issue. I always take my hat off to authors how dare to push boundaries.
A.R. Cook
Oct 16, 2014 A.R. Cook rated it it was amazing
As soon as I read the synopsis to "Fallen," I knew this was going to be a book unlike any I've read before. And I wasn't disappointed. There is a cinematic quality to the book, everything effectively detailed without being heavy handed, and some beautiful imagery mixed in with the grittier, often terrifying moments.
If you go into this book understanding it explores Christian mythology more so than its religion or beliefs--although it's interesting how several different religious images collide i
Jason Kristopher
Jun 11, 2014 Jason Kristopher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
TL/DR: Awesome cover, great premise, good execution. Well worth picking up.

First things first: I am not what anyone would call a religious or spiritual person. So for me to read anything about religion, or angels, or demons… well, it’s gotta have a great premise. And did Barber ever deliver with this title. Angels and demons warring on an Earth decimated by Judgement Day, fighting over the few humans left? How could anyone NOT be interested?

The book tells the story of Isra — more properly known
Karen
Nov 13, 2013 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I was actually stumped as to what to give this so I'm slitting the difference with 4.5 stars. Even after reading the blurb for this book I did not really know what to expect, but I'm glad I took the time. While I am not a big fan of angels, at least those in books, I am a fan of these angels. The writing is sharp and witty with sprinkles of pop culture you can't help but smile about. The characters are sympathetic and real in how they act and react to their situation. There are religious ...more
SmilingDork
Jul 23, 2015 SmilingDork rated it really liked it
This was a really good book. It did go a bit on the religious side especially toward the end but I kinda expected that. I have been waiting to read this book for over a year and was able to finally to by it about a month ago. It was neither a let down nor was it an extremely good book that I was hoping for. It was just a good read and a nice book. There isn't a lot for me to say about.
I really liked Isra. She was a comical and tried to keep it light even in some dark situations. She was a cool
Seth Tucker
Dec 16, 2014 Seth Tucker rated it it was amazing
This book was well thought out and had amazing characters. Join the last two remaining angels as they try to save what little of humanity is left from Hell. If you are not comfortable with radical concepts related to your faith then please bypass this book. Reading the synopsis should give you a good feel for what this book is about. If you do not read it and then get offended, I have no sympathy for you. Disclaimer over with, let me say that I was hanging onto every page as we explored this ...more
Mary
Dec 20, 2014 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the most unique scenarios and plots I've come across in a long, long time. Good writing to boot. It had its issues - thus only 4 stars - but all in all an enjoyable, fast-paced action/adventure/fantasy read. Wish it had been a bit longer - I managed the whole thing in less than 3 hours. I hope Ms. Barber feels inspired to write more novellas soon.

I got this book free, but did not let that influence my review in any way.
Jessica
Feb 20, 2014 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to say I loved everything about this book. I happened to find it for free but would have gladly paid full price. I noticed some other reviewers saying it was 'too dark' but it can never be too dark for me. That was what I absolutely loved and appreciated about this book. The mythology, and the inner conflict that the protagonist has really made the book the amazing read that it is. Great story, great characters, great premise. It's all there. Highly recommend.
Erin
Jul 23, 2013 Erin marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Looking forward to reading this one! Love the cover art.
Wade Hanna
Enjoyed this, wasn't as excited about the ending, but overall the story was enjoyable.
Elizabeth W. Gage
Mar 24, 2016 Elizabeth W. Gage rated it really liked it
Interesting take...

I found the background of this story quite interesting. The main character, Israfel, has a very "human" side, and the author has done a good job. I will be checking her other writings.
Sherry
Jan 23, 2016 Sherry rated it it was amazing
Excellent and emotional!

5 stars. Easily given. A great short read to pass a snow day. You'll know if you love it when you reach for the tissues.
Susan Lee Thuener
Oct 31, 2015 Susan Lee Thuener rated it liked it
Interesting supposition of Devine intervention

Not sure about the plot in this one. I would hate to imagine anything so terrible really happening to earth.
Gail
Oct 31, 2015 Gail rated it it was amazing
Loved it

It is a very well written book. I loved the way the author took good and evil and rewrote a whole new story for Earth. It's exciting and very funny at times. Good job.
Kenneth Dowell
Kenneth Dowell rated it really liked it
Jun 16, 2015
Jana Kottong Barger
Jana Kottong Barger rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2015
Gerald
Gerald rated it liked it
Sep 13, 2015
Anne
Anne rated it did not like it
Feb 17, 2014
Jodielynn
Jodielynn rated it really liked it
May 22, 2016
Jeffery
Jeffery rated it did not like it
Jun 02, 2016
Kate
Kate rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2016
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Oct 15, 2014
Karla Rice
Karla Rice rated it really liked it
Jan 02, 2015
Ricky Kimsey
Ricky Kimsey rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Anne M. Wilkins
Anne M. Wilkins rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Adelaide Flannery
Adelaide Flannery rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2014
Jay Barber
Jay Barber rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2013
Pam
Pam rated it liked it
May 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Urban Fantasy Afi...: December free Read - Fallen 32 25 Dec 12, 2013 12:25AM
  • The Dead Kid Detective Agency (The Dead Kid Detective Agency, #1)
  • In the Midnight Hour (Light Warriors, #1)
  • The Collected John Carter of Mars (Barsoom, #8-11)
  • Battle of the Network Zombies (Amanda Feral, #3)
  • The Darkness of Shadows
  • Leashing the Tempest (Arcadia Bell, #2.5)
  • After The Virus
  • Breaking Emma (Divisa, #2.5)
  • Surviving Passion (The Shattered World, #1)
  • The Herring Seller's Apprentice
  • Blood Rock (Skindancer, #2)
  • Alpha
  • Ahuitzotl: A Novel of Aztec Mexico
  • Scary School
  • Dead Drunk: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse. One Beer at a Time
  • Try Me (Demon Underground, #2)
  • Trick of the Light (Trickster, #1)
  • Games of Fate (Fate ~ Fire ~ Shifter ~ Dragon, #1)
Mother, homemaker, ordained Wiccan priestess, writer, MMA enthusiast, and budding motorcyclist, Katie also enjoys the boring things taken for granted like spending time with family and going to movies. She was born in Atlanta, GA, got her BA in English: Creative Writing from the University of Colorado at Boulder. She currently resides with her husband, two children, and four rescue cats in ...more
More about Katie Barber...