Start by marking “Liars & Thieves (Tommy Carmellini, #1)” as Want to Read:
Liars & Thieves (Tommy Carmellini, #1)

Liars & Thieves (Tommy Carmellini #1)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  1,119 ratings  ·  65 reviews
Unafraid to walk both sides of the law to attain his goals, CIA operative Tommy Carmellini is sent to post guard duty at a farmhouse in West Virginia. When he arrives, he finds the guards shot dead and a ruthless team of American commandos killing everyone in sight. Carmellini escapes in a hail of bullets with what seems to be the sole survivor-a stunningly attractive tran ...more
Published December 31st 2013 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published May 7th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Liars & Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Liars & Thieves

Marla
Liars and Thieves is Stephen Coonts as you've never seen him before-a story as chilling as it is unforgettable. Tommy Carmellini, a CIA operative who is unafraid to walk both sides of the law to attain his objective, uncovers a dark conspiracy that leads to the highest levels of the American government-and to a ruthless manipulator who will stop at nothing to keep a decades-old secret.

Liars and Thieves opens as Carmellini is sent to post guard duty at a farmhouse in West Virginia's remote Allegh
Mike French
Stephen Coonts has written another page turner thriller. If you haven't read any of the Tommy Carmellini start with this one!
Keith
To paraphrase an old saying: “Just because you’re feeling paranoid doesn’t mean someone’s not trying to assassinate you.” Tommy Carmellini, has a lot of reasons to feel paranoid. In the best tradition of Dashiell Hammet and Raymond Chandler, Tommy is the kind of mystery/detective hero I find not only entertaining but almost believable. Self deprecating, introspective and just going along to get along, Tommy finds trouble everywhere…in Spades…so to speak. A former jewel thief with a special talen ...more
Don Mitchell
I listened to the audible.com recording of this book as background to a long road trip, chores, and other mindless activity. As a distractor, this book suited its purpose well. It has a prototypical fast plot, some mild sex, and the standard hopeless situation. No deus ex machina. The character development is decent for the genre but still fairly one-dimensional. The technology is good—no miracles.

I was reading The Plot Against America while listening to this. They were fairly similar in presen
Paul
Interesting storyline, but many unbelievable actions and details. Does the CIA really hire ex-cons who work at a lock shop and who make suicidal moves repeatedly? Does the CIA hire ex-con researchers and give them access to its files? Does it not track database activity by such miscreants?
Coonts is another author who doesn't know guns enough to write about them. To him a 1911 Colt handgun is an "automatic".
All in all it is just an OK book.
Gloria
Burglar turned CIA agent Tommy Carmellini finds himself in a confusing and dangerous situation with no one to trust. This character and fast-paced plot will appeal to fans of the series "Burn Notice." Carmellini is a buff, smart and wisecracking guy who has to deal with beautiful women, thugs, rogue police officers and professional hitmen. This is a fun read overall, but does acquire a lot of dead bodies by the end of the story.
Pat Murray
Another great book by Coonts. A Russian defector's secrets influence a Presidential convention. They leave behind a string of dead people, burned out safe houses, and ruined lives of many seemingly unrelated people. Good rapport between the main character and his business partner, best friend Willie. Looking forward to many more Tommy Carmellini stories.
Marion Mockridge
Audiobook narrated by Guerin Barry: I love this hero, Tommy Carmellini. He's smart, funny, daring and sexy. This is written in the first person, like the classic Raymond Chandler mysteries and I love it! Starting another Stephen Coonts book soon. I want to read them all.
Fred Carrico
Thought it was a good, entertaining read - and would give 3 1/2 stars if possible. Could have been a 4-star except at times the writing was a little disjointed or rambling. I will read other titles by this author.
Terry
Great story. Horrible writing. It is almost as if this was written by a 13 year old. Honestly, I could barely follow most parts and had to re-read something every few pages. Not sure how this was ever published.
Jake
I let Lea pick me out a book while we were at Books-A-Million. I was in a rut of Dirk Pitt and Dean Koontz. She picked this one and she did great. I really liked the book and the main character. A CIA agent put into a tough spot with a Russian archivists and Tommy does his super spy thing and makes everything work out. He gets the girl in the end and he got the girl in the beginning who ended up being a traitor. I like his wise cracking friend Willie even though Willie gets cut up in the book an ...more
Gwen Utterberg
Ken Hornback
Reasonable character development. Certainly not a completely transparent plot. Not far fetched technology. Main character seemed to dodge a lot of bullets.
Paul Bedard
I'm a big coonts fan but I felt I'm being generous giving this 3 stars. Hard to read and slow going, sort of disappointment
Robert
Not bad; I like this character. I had heard of Tommy Carmellini from other Jake Grafton novels. There's action and high tech "spy stuff" with a dose of Carmellini humor. Grafton is referenced quite often and adds to this book as Tommy goes to him for assistance. I have access to a couple more of these books in the series so I'll check them out and see how this character develops.
Bill
This review is for the audiobook.

If you like the sensitive tough-guy in a dangerous game of intrigue not of his choosing genre, this one doesn't suck. It's a satisfying if not super believable thriller. I'll probably go through the rest of the series in time. Coonts is a talented enough writer, and I'm a sucker for a good page-turner.

Andrea
One of the few books that has kept me guessing on what the resolution will be. It was definitely written by a dude, which works well with the main character. My husband and I were reading it aloud to each other, though, so I had a hard time with the amount of bad language that was used in the dialogue.
Shelley
This was the first book I have read by this author, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I found the writing to be rather simplistic, and I'm certain it would have made a better action movie than a book. Overall, 2.5 stars with a slight willingness to try reading more of him in the future to compare.
Andrea
Apr 16, 2010 Andrea rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Andrea by: AAUW Book Sale
Really 3.5 stars. I wish I'd read this book before the Coonts I read earlier this year, because this one was sooo much better. Now I understand why I should care who Tommy and Jake are, too. Of course, the whole thing is completely implausible, but it's a fun ride/read nonetheless.
Frank
Enough to keep my interest, but he uses a little too much kid- like imagination for his main character. A seemingly ordinary thief with super secret agent killing skills. A little far fetched but with plenty of action, sort of like John Maclane's alter ego.
Steve
March 2014 re-read as a book.
the characters remain engaging.

book on tape.
my first ste4phen coontz in the car.
outstanding.
just ordered 4 more cd's.
very entertaining and very easy to get hooked and want to keep on listening.
good job!!!!
Drew
I enjoy Stephen Coonts' action thrillers involving Jake Grafton and flying a lot more than his political thrillers involving Tommy Carmellini. Sure, Grafton is a minor character in this book, but the main character is Carmellini.
Daniel
I have enjoyed all of the Stephen Coonts books I've read. This one was fun because it filled in some of the back story of the Tommy Carmellini who first appeared in "Cuba" as a minor character.
Bonnie
This audiobook was a lot of fun, mostly narrated by the character of Tommy Carmelini, a decidedly bad boy hero working for the CIA. Sex and violence happens but not explicitly and there are plenty of plot twists and turns.
Lorrie
Good enough where I plan to listen to the next book in the series if there is an audio book. Note quite good enough to read, but entertaining to listen to during a long commute. The actor did a good job.
Bob Mathias
Earthy and fast moving and Tommy very lucky.
This is the first Stephen Coonts book I have read and I really enjoyed it. An espionage thriller with a good twist at the end, it was quite a page turner. Some of the action was unbelievable but it was still a fun read.
Pete
If you follow along with the main character in the novel and don't take the story too seriously the result is a pretty entertaining read. The ending seemed a bit rushed but plenty of action throughout.
Ret Yeager
Three stars is probably generous. The characters are weak. It was not bad at first but became more implausible as the book continued. The conclusion left me going "huh?" Would not recommend this one.
  • Rogue Forces (Patrick McLanahan, #15)
  • Day of Wrath
  • The Cutout
  • The Echelon Vendetta (Agent Micah Dalton, #1)
Stephen Coonts (born July 19, 1946) is an American thriller and suspense novelist.

Coonts grew up in Buckhannon, West Virginia, a small coal-mining town and earned an B.A. degree in political science at West Virginia University in 1968. He entered the Navy the following year and flew an A-6 Intruder medium attack plane during the Vietnam War, where he served on two combat cruises aboard the USS Ent
More about Stephen Coonts...
Flight of the Intruder (Jake Grafton, #1) Under Siege (Jake Grafton, #4) Final Flight (Jake Grafton, #2) Deep Black (Deep Black, #1) America (Jake Grafton, #9)