Start by marking “NOT A BOOK: For the Summer” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
NOT A BOOK: For the Su...

NOT A BOOK

NOT A BOOK: For the Summer

3.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  357 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
283 pages
Published September 20th 2013

To ask other readers questions about NOT A BOOK, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about NOT A BOOK

A. Bookzilla.
Jan 20, 2014 A. Bookzilla. rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf-ed
EDIT: The book has been pulled off Amazon and B&N.
EDIT 2: Back up.
EDIT 3: For more examples by reviewers who made it through more of the book than I did, check out this, and this.

***************************************************

Freckled cheeks, sunburns, a river bankyoung, wild, and brave. Sophie Kaden falls in love with the smartmouthed boy she can't seem to forget. She's looking to fit in for the summer; he's just hopeless. She's afraid to let go; he won't let her.

I never rate my DNFs. E
Mary Elizabeth
Sep 22, 2013 Mary Elizabeth rated it did not like it
You stole my book!!!!

DENY IT ALL YOU WANT!!!!
J.m. Darhower
Sep 23, 2013 J.m. Darhower rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope
As a writer, I know how much we slave over our stories, how hard we work on them, how we pour our heart and soul into the words. It's why I very rarely give a negative review (if a book is less than three stars for me, I often don't even mention reading it... just a personal thing). But because of that, I take things like plagiarism very seriously and have a hard time not speaking out against it.

Similarities in stories are impossible to avoid. It's ALL been done before. We're merely all playing
Kari
Sep 24, 2013 Kari rated it did not like it
EDIT: i wrote this blog post about the For the Summer Controversy https://medium.com/writers-on-writing...

~~~~

maybe the "author" needs a dictionary...

pla·gia·rism
ˈplājəˌrizəm
noun
the practice of taking someone else's work or ideas and passing them off as one's own.
synonyms: copying, infringement of copyright, piracy, theft, stealing

in·teg·ri·ty
inˈtegritē
noun
the quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness.
synonyms: honesty, probity, rectitude, honor, good characte
Rochelle Walker
Sep 22, 2013 Rochelle Walker rated it did not like it
i loved this story!
...as fanfiction, written by two girls - neither of whom go by "shey stahl".
hmm.
Miriam
Mar 29, 2014 Miriam marked it as plagiarism-spammers
EDIT 23/09/2013: I just found out that For The Summer has been put back on Amazon so I guess this is now my chance to read it for myself. Wish me luck :) I'm also going to read Dusty by Mary Elizabeth for myself because I want to make up my own mind.
________________________________________

EDIT 23/09/2013: Well, I'm kind of embarrassed. I still stand by my earlier thoughts on rating a book before it being published but I don't know where this book stands with plagiarism.

I know which parts of the
Michelle
Sep 22, 2013 Michelle rated it did not like it
PLAGIARISM.

You can read some of this book for free, from the authors that originally wrote Dusty here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7659651/1...

Notice the publish date of Dusty is 12/21/2011 - almost two years ago.

Go ahead, check and see for yourself- here's an app that will help you:

Lucia
Sep 23, 2013 Lucia rated it did not like it
Read this guys :/

I would say this is much more than just "coincidence". And there is more. For example:

For the Summer, Loc 460:
“What’s your name?”
“Sophie Kaden.”
You looked at me for a second before one of those boys yelled your name. “Well, umm, I have to go.”
“Bye,” I said, trying to hide my face in my hair I had pulled free from my ponytail.

You hesitated before walking away. Pushing your fingers through your wet hair, you said, “I like the color.”
I smile
Jaime Arkin
She stole this from that one story that shall not be named. Lol.. Judging hard
MK~ Picky Girl
Way too many similarities to another author's work.

Beautiful dialogue and descriptions were blatantly copied from the fanfic story Dusty.

This is referred to as plagiarism, an act that is the worst offense.

If you are interested in reading Dusty, its 100% free and an amazing beautiful story. For The Summer doesn't even compare to this awesomeness that is Dusty.

Here is the link to Dusty if you haven't read it yet: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/7659651/1...

Amy Nease
Sep 22, 2013 Amy Nease rated it did not like it
plagiarism ( Dusty ) Best Seller Author my A**
Jeanne
Oct 21, 2014 Jeanne rated it did not like it
Shelves: plagiarism, tbbal
PLAGIARISM ALERT

Whole sections of this book were stolen from a popular Twilight fan fiction (that Shey did not write) called Dusty by YellowBella (a pen name used by two collaborating authors Mary Elizabeth & Sarah).

Please see this review for word for word comparison of the passages in the fan fic with the ones in For the Summer.

Oh, but it gets better. The summary for this "book" is eerily similar to the summary for an entirely different fan fic titled Pickup Truck by Mary Elizabeth.

For th
Bitchie *Bored Now*
The initial review by ari bookzilla: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...?

The blurb for For The Summer : Freckled cheeks, sunburns, a river bank young, wild, and brave. Sophie Kaden falls in love with the smartmouthed boy she can't seem to forget. She's looking to fit in for the summer; he's just hopeless. She's afraid to let go; he won't let her.

The blurb for TeamBella23's Pickup Truck :Freckled, sunburned, and scraped, our lives are lived barefoot and sandy, rolling under the baking sun an
[~Ami~]♥Sexy Dexy♥
EDIT: so, I've decided to take my ratings off due to the controversy surrounding this book and I am really upset because I loved Shey Stahl's previous work and overall this was a great read. BUT I cannot support plagiarism :(

Original review:
This is one of those books that gave you a warm fuzzy feeling.

It starts off with Sophie's best friend, Ivey about to get married. She reunites with Ivey's brother, Benson. It then looks back to when she was 13 through the eyes of her journal.

he was just Be
Iris
Jul 05, 2016 Iris rated it did not like it
Oh, the sweet smell of plagiarism. You have to be a special kind of stupid to think you can plagiarize the most popular authors/fics in the Twilight community and not get caught.
Carolamex
Sep 22, 2013 Carolamex rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Book has many scenes plagiarized from a very well know twilight fanfic called Dusty by YellowBella. There is a review here that goes into details. Shameful behavior! It also seems it's her MO since there is evidence she has plagiarized scenes of other fanfictions in her other stories.
Andrea
Sep 22, 2013 Andrea rated it did not like it
Stolen story from fanfiction. Shey plagiarised as a fanfic "author", she plagiarised as a published one. Shame on her for stealing other people's work, and stealing her reader's money. Do not buy this stolen work, do not give money to this thief, DON'T SUPPORT PLAGIARISM!!
Tettey
Sep 25, 2013 Tettey rated it it was amazing
Yo Shey!

I kno' you ain't gon' make the man(Goodreads) take down ma five star rating of yo book just 'cos i ain't really read it!

i seen how all them hating goodreaders been tryna take yo bread outchya mouth. just 'cos 60% of yo book been stole from some dusty fanfic.

Ppssshhhhh! i say, pay 'em no mind, sister. just stay underground, soon this shit gon' blow over and you can get back to eating large.
i mean, them two fanfic authors wasn't even thinkin' 'bout doing nottn with they Dusty book, but y
Miriam
Sep 23, 2013 Miriam rated it did not like it

Wow, this Summer is really Dusty, isn't it? The atmosphere is so thick you can smell it. And it smells like bullshit.
Nikki
This "author" stole complete chapters from Hunter Hunting's fanfiction when Lapped Traffic was on FFN. I called her out and notified HH and the "author" took it down from FFN immediately but told her readers she pulled it to publish. I would like to know if she published the plagiarized sections of that story too?

By the way...I did not read this book. For the record. I would never read anything written by this person.
Shannon
This is disheartening to write, even to acknowledge. I have read both Dusty and For the Summer. After reading FTS, I initially felt it it was a cute summer story, similar to Four Summers or The Summer I Turned Pretty. But when I read the controversy surrounding this book, I looked at it different. It is too similar to Dusty, and was bummed because it was difficult to overlook at this point, especially all of the flashback scenes. The story itself is different than Dusty, but there are way to man ...more
Lori ~Lover of Books~
The author plagiarized one of my favorite books!
conan disappiontment photo conandisappointment_zps6ea25e19.gif

disapproving look photo mothers-disapproving-241x300_zps851b555f.jpg

head shake! photo shaking_head_disgust_keanu_reeves_zps12cdf8e9.gif

Hell no photo 28682-Hell-no-gif-CD0Y_zps7d03c8d5.jpeg
Jo ❤
The author plagiarized this book from a well-loved, brilliant, and one-of-a-kind work, titled "DUSTY" by YellowBella .

The evidence proving this author's blatant copying of Dusty is clearly seen in numerous reviews, particularly the one written by Ari. Despite all the evidence, the author vehemently denies plagiarizing and reading Dusty.

HOW DARE YOU SHEY STAHL cheapen a beyond-amazing and wonderful book such as DUSTY with your pathetic excuse for a knock-off. SMH. Plagiarism is wrong. Plagiaris
Violhaine
Sep 25, 2013 Violhaine rated it did not like it
Plagiarism is a disgusting cheat. It posits that the readers are too stupid or ignorant to recognize a complete fraud. I don't know why some cheaters think they an get away with it in the age of technology or, even better, trying to fool members of a fandom so keenly invested in its authors and community. FOR THE SUMMER is a disgusting example of plagiarism. We're also uncovering more evidence that this "author" has "borrowed" from even more authentic creators in the Twilight fandom. It's always ...more
Aja
Sep 25, 2013 Aja rated it did not like it
Shelves: complete-rubbish
Unacceptable. Those who understand fan fiction and the labor of love it is, understand that this is a revolting affront to the community as a whole. And it shouldn't just offend the FF community, but that of readers and writers of original fiction as well.
Siobhan
Sep 22, 2013 Siobhan rated it did not like it
Shelves: will-never-read
There are no original thoughts now, someone at some point has had them before we have. But...entire scenarios, exact wording bar a single word or two in a paragraph, set up and dialog exactly the same. No, two people will think this alike. Now since I know that Dusty was put up on fanfiction.net almost two years or so ago (cause it's been on my TBR list that long, and I happily just read it a week or so ago) I will go with YellowBella and say, 'Shame on you Shey'. I also want to add that I will ...more
Anahi Lazo
Sep 22, 2013 Anahi Lazo rated it did not like it
PLAGIARIZED! This has been one of the most moving stories I've ever had the pleasure of reading, you know, the first time around when Mary and Sarah wrote it!! And I have to say the book's description is also lextremely familiar to another of Mary's stories. You should have done some more research into how much support and love there is for this story, these characters, and these women. Shame on you. I'm shocked after all this overwhelming evidence, you still have the audacity to say "you" wrote ...more
Rose
Dec 20, 2013 Rose marked it as not-read-it-and-not-gonna
I am appalled that someone had the audacity to not only blatantly steal from one story, but from multiple fics.
It is shameful and there is no way I could ever support an author like that.
I feel very sorry for the fans she made by fooling them and the betrayal they must feel. And I'm sorrier for the authors she stole from because as a fellow writer, I can understand how much their stories meant to them. What we write, what we create has pieces of our soul in it, and keeping that in mind, I'm
Lisbeth Tejada
Sep 28, 2013 Lisbeth Tejada rated it did not like it
I'm not the kind of girl that writes ranting reviews about how much I hated a book. As a person who loves to write and knows how hard it is to show people your work, I try to be very respectful with other people's writing. I don't feel comfortable telling people their work sucked or how it could've been better or anything like that. If I don't like a book, I usually don't say anything about it and just give it a two stars rating. I respect people's hard work, and the time they dedicate towards t ...more
Can anyone lend this book? 12 120 Sep 27, 2013 09:22PM
When does this book come out? 4 142 Sep 23, 2013 08:00PM
  • Last Flight Out
  • Wrecked by You (Waiting for You, #3)
  • Extraordinary
  • Learning To Love
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • Kaden's Breeder
  • The Raie'Chaelia (Legend of the Raie'Chaelia, #1)
  • The Destruction of Dresden
  • Cherry Popper
  • A Parent's Guide to Preventing Homosexuality
  • My Name is Dee
  • Vardin Village
  • Finding Cassilia
  • The Gunfighter and The Gear-Head (The Raven Ladies, #1)
  • Are You Mine?
  • Tats
  • Have Wormhole, Will Travel
This "author" was created to segregate those items which have ISBNs but are not actually books. For more information, see the manual and/or start a thread in the Librarians Group.

When an item which is not a book is imported via ISBN into Goodreads, it does no good to delete it: the item will only be re-imported as long as it remains on the feeder site. (Often these are book-related items which are
More about NOT A BOOK...

“Who says you have to live for right now? What if you can have the greatest love of your life, but you have to relive the past to find it again? Who says going back to the beginning won't make you happy right now?” 3 likes
“Well, when no one was looking, he was passionate, easy to love, full of sloppy smiles and silly jokes, heartfelt, considerate, a dreamer, but most of all, he was just Bensen William Cole - the boy who stole my heart at thirteen.” 2 likes