Start by marking “The Sixth” as Want to Read:
The Sixth

The Sixth

Welcome to the gaslit, cobblestoned streets of Paris, 1910.

Florbela Sarmentos, 21, knows what she wants: art, romance, and to free her father from the prison of Portugal’s despotic King Manuel II. Born in Lisbon, educated in London and at a painting academy in Cherbourg, France, the cosmopolitan Florbela moves to Paris and takes up residence in the wildly bohemian enclave
Published October 31st 2013 by Diadema Press (first published October 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Sixth, please sign up.

Recent Questions

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)

Lori
Jun 19, 2014 Lori rated it really liked it
Very well written!! I just love it when I begin reading a story and the author has so effectively communicated the setting that the visualization plays effortlessly in your minds eye. Excellent opening, interesting characters and good supporting characters that add width and depth to the story.

I really liked the book. The only reason I didn't give it five stars is because I reserve that extra star for stories that leave a lingering mark, a concept that will stay with me long after the story is
Brenda Ayala
Oct 03, 2015 Brenda Ayala rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
(I received this from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.)

There were parts of this that I absolutely loved, and parts that I disliked. Luckily for me the good outweighed the bad by a wide enough margin I felt no inclination to give this lower than a 4 star rating, although I'll admit there were times I considered 3 stars.

The descriptions are magnificent. This was a time period I haven't read too much about in a novel, so for that alone I thoroughly enjoyed this. Florbela's walks through
Audra (Unabridged Chick)
Set in 1910 Paris, The Sixth is a romantic adventure historical novel, in the vein of Donna Russo Morin or Kate Mosse (or perhaps Dan Brown or Steve Berry, without the contemporary parts), featuring artwork encoded with ciphers, Freemasons, expats, romantic entanglements, attempted murders, and political intrigue.

Fresh from her classical arts training in England, twenty-one-year old Florbela Sarmentos arrives in Paris with the address of an artists boarding house. Her father, a famed Portuguese
Lauralee
Set in Paris in 1910, Florbela is the daughter of a Portuguese rebel, and decides to have a life in exile as an artist in Paris with her sculptor roommate, Irene. There she meets Diego Rivera, his first wife Angelina, and Amedeo Modigliani. She is also next door neighbors with Marc Chagall, whom she calls by his real name Moishe. However, her blissful life is turned upside down when she stumbles upon a dying man, who is a rebel for a Portuguese rebel cause, and gives her a painting that has a ...more
Tony Parsons
May 29, 2014 Tony Parsons rated it it was amazing
Monsieur Castell, Irene, Alfred Boucher, Angelina, Amedeo Modigliani, Diego Rivera, Robert Delaunay, Leo & Gertrude Stein, Pablo Picasso, Georges Braque, Professor Bierhoff, Armand Jacques Marie Fontaine, Paulo, Marc Chagall, Mr. Grimm, Maurice & Josephine Fontaine Moishe Shagalov, Sonia Delaunay, Fernand leger, Brian, Pope Clement XI, King Joao V, Barbade, Wilhelm Kostrowicki, Guillaume Appollinaire,

Set in 1910, Florbela Sarmentos (Lisbon, Cherbourg, artist, 21, Leaozinha) led a somewh
Gabriella Gricius
Jan 17, 2014 Gabriella Gricius rated it it was amazing
Why Read: Besides the fact I’m already interested in books that center around Paris, whether it be the early or late past, NetGalley seemed to have a great sense that it was a book I would enjoy. They were not wrong.

Review: I expected to enjoy the book, The Sixth, and whether it was my misplaced expectations or just the book – I really did love it. Florbela is a great main character that has a streak of independence tamed by her acceptance of the bigger forces at play. The plot is exciting, to
Julian Froment
Oct 01, 2013 Julian Froment rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed-books
This book was wonderful. I found it fascinating. I would definitely describe it as a page turner, keeping me fully engaged, wanting more, right to the last page.

I loved the beautifully presented accounts of Paris life at the turn of the twentieth century. I was enthralled by the wonderfully descriptive passages that revealed the creative and artistic lives of characters that were to eventually become household names, and of the region known as the sixth and its surrounding environs. My personal
Amanda
Nov 27, 2013 Amanda rated it really liked it
Cross-posted to http://off-the-book.org.

In The Sixth, a young Portuguese woman, Florbela Sarmentos, moves to the Sixth Arrondissement turn-of-the-century Paris to pursue her dream of becoming a painter. However, she isn't just an aspiring artist - she is in political exile from her native country, where her father is held prisoner. This book is both a deftly written political thriller and historical romance.

The "revolutionary" aspect of the storyline, with Florbela's mission of saving her father
Rowena Holloway
Dec 14, 2013 Rowena Holloway rated it it was amazing
Anyone looking to escape into Paris’s past can’t go wrong with The Sixth, the new offering from Avery Hays (the collaboration of A. M. D. Hays and W. S. T. Hays). The title refers to a district on the bohemian Left Bank which in 1910 housed many of modern art’s collectors and creative spirits.

Displaced from her native Portugal, her beloved father imprisoned by a despotic King, Florbela Sarmentos arrives in Paris ready to embark on her artistic career. But 1910 is a turbulent year and soon Florbe
Erin Pallott
Oct 02, 2013 Erin Pallott rated it really liked it
I won this book in a FirstReads giveaway. I'm so glad I got the chance to read this and it was really worth my time.

This is my favourite way to learn about different time periods and countries. I don't need hard facts to get clear images in my head. I love it when creativity meets history.

Throughout this whole novel I was indulged with vivid description. I loved the really clear language and style. It is told from the memories of Florbela Sarmentos and it was told in the same way she actually sp
Calamus
Nov 22, 2013 Calamus rated it really liked it
It’s 1910 Paris. Florbela Sarmentos has moved to the City of Lights to become a painter. Living in the height of bohemia, she befriends the most elite of Parisian artists. However, becoming an artist is not her only goal. Shortly after arriving in Paris, she receives a letter from her father, who is a very famous political prisoner held captive in Portugal under the despot rule of King Manuel II. The letter provides her with a path toward freeing her father, but she must go through many dangers ...more
Diane
Jan 17, 2014 Diane rated it liked it
The Sixth by Avery Hays

Challenges read for: Goodreads, Historical Fiction, Immigrant Stories, EBook, Women Authors

Book cover: Very beautiful--a little Audrey Hepburn, a little Leslie Caron

I enjoyed this book quite a lot, not only for it's historical references to Portugal's turbulent history of the time, but also for the description of what life may have been like in Paris in 1910 surrounded by such a colorful, artistic set of characters!

After completing her artistic training in Cherbourg, young
April
Jun 26, 2014 April rated it it was amazing
The Sixth was a delightful mix of history and mystery that had me on the edge of my seat at times. The plot was clever, the protagonist was likable, and the backdrop very interesting for someone like me, who is interested in art and art history. I found it quite fascinating to see the way that Florbela interacted with the unestablished painters of the time, like Diego Riviera and Marc Chagall. Those names are almost household names now -- or close to it, I should think -- but the way that Hays d ...more
Ionia
Oct 29, 2013 Ionia rated it liked it
3.5 stars for this enthralling novel. If you are looking for a book that has a wonderfully described setting, Avery hays has written the book for you. This book is full of vibrant description that makes you want feel as though you are living every footstep of the character's journey.

This is a heavily atmospheric novel where the main character becomes someone that you feel as if you know personally. I enjoyed all of the mysterious elements of this book.

There were times when I felt the pace coul
Bobby T
Nov 15, 2013 Bobby T rated it really liked it
I'd actually give this a 4.5 stars if I could.
I absolutely loved this book. I studied art history in college and felt that Hays really brought the characters to life--much more so than I ever remember in art class. Florbela was a great protagonist: she is feisty, independent and goes through realistic struggle as she tentatively sets out on her own as an artist. Her fascinating friends and charming romances set the backdrop for what turns out to be a serious adventure.
I also found the author web
Cathy
Nov 20, 2013 Cathy rated it liked it
*ARC
This story started a bit slow, but gradually picked up steam as it went. I grew a bit tired of the memoir type of writing, but I understand why it was used. I just wish the talking about how her dates went would have been shorter (or more interesting) and the action part longer. The book picked up while they are fleeing, and it is one thrill after another. The villains are wonderfully written and the secondary characters are drawn clear enough so that I felt I really was able to get to know
Teresa
Jan 03, 2014 Teresa rated it liked it
Shelves: 2013
"I don't know how Hays managed it but I enjoyed the recreation of a period where idealists could be communist and revolution seemed around the corner and the prose conveyed an enthralling and seductive optimism that suspended my usually cynical nature."
read more: http://likeiamfeasting.blogspot.com/2...
Ellen
Nov 02, 2013 Ellen rated it really liked it
I absolutely loved this book. I felt like I was living in Paris in the early 1900's, mingling with the Bohemian artist set. I loved the main character, Florbela, and her relationships with the other characters, including Irene. I would recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction, as well as those interested in the Impressionists and Paris.
Gerri Watkins
Sep 13, 2013 Gerri Watkins rated it it was amazing
Avery Hays brings to vivid life Florbella Sarmentos, a willful painter who moves to Paris in 1910. A talented blend of romance, mystery and intrigue that captivates you and will keep the reader turning the page to see what happens next. A wonderfully written book.
Amanda Leigh
I won this book through the firstreads Goodreads contest.

I really enjoyed this book. I loved the mixture of political-historical fiction and just a bit of romance. I also love the cover art for this book. :)
Danielle (is trying to escape reality)
Another trip to Paris! A masterful blend of mystery and history with a bohemian feel.

* I received a free copy via Goodreads First Reads for review.
Patrícia
Opinião do blogue Chaise Longue: http://girlinchaiselongue.blogspot.pt...

AM.D. Hays trabalhou, viveu e viajou por mais de trinta países nos seis continentes mas actualmente reside nos Estados Unidos enquanto trabalha no seu próximo romance, outro trabalho em conjunto com o seu marido, W.S.T Hays. O seu primeiro romance é uma colaboração de ambos e foi publicado no dia 31 de Outubro deste ano ainda não estando traduzido para qualquer língua.
Não é todos os dias que encontrámos um livro estrangeiro
Renae
Set primarily in Paris in 1910, The Sixth follows the story of a young Portuguese artist, Florbella, who is a political exile from her native country due to her father’s work in attempting to overthrow the monarchy. The novel has several storylines running through it, some concerning art and friends, others concerning secret societies and assassins and political coups. Hays’ debut is ambitious, but not a bad attempt, and overall I enjoyed it.

Our protagonist, Florbella, is twenty-one years old at
Elaine Ruth Boe
Aug 07, 2014 Elaine Ruth Boe rated it did not like it
Not an impressive book, in any capacity. This novel did help me to a self-realization about what I find essential to a good book. Before reading this, I thought that my sole make-it-or-break-it point for a book was a sympathetic character. THE SIXTH taught me that I also need the book to be well-written, to a certain degree. I don't need amazing writing, but I do need it to be good enough so that it's not distracting.

I don't feel like Florbela was a very realistic character. In fact, I don't th
Corey
May 02, 2015 Corey rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
Note: I won this from FirstReads giveaways.

This was such a wonderful book, it has great characters and was written very beautifully! I enjoyed every moment of reading this one!

I sincerely hope that this author writes more in future, I loved the style, the flow of the story. There was never a dull moment, theres plenty going on, a lot of wonderful characters, their lives and their personalities were well displayed throughout.

Towards the end, in the final pages I really found myself dreading the e
Lynn
Oct 23, 2013 Lynn rated it did not like it
Given the location [Paris, 1920's] and the eclectic cast of Bohemian characters with a little bit of International espionage thrown in, I thought I'd love this book. But, I was really disappointed.

I read this as an e-book from NetGalley.
Nick
Nick rated it liked it
Jun 29, 2016
Kathleen Cammiss saladino
Kathleen Cammiss saladino rated it really liked it
Apr 26, 2015
Lyndsey Aaron
Lyndsey Aaron rated it liked it
Dec 23, 2013
Shannon
Shannon rated it really liked it
Feb 14, 2015
  • Falling Hard (Roller Girls #1)
  • Charisma
  • Two Deserts
  • The Lightkeeper's Wife
  • Twenty-One Cardinals
  • Undertaking Love
  • Twentysomething: Why Do Young Adults Seem Stuck?
  • If It Is Your Life