Cora Fry's Pillow Book

Cora Fry's Pillow Book

4.0 of 5 stars 4.00  ·  rating details  ·  18 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Through the persona of Cora Fry, a wife and mother living in a small New Hampshire town, Rosellen Brown explores the ambivalent ties of love, loyalty, marriage, and family in a series of related poems. This volume includes the entire text of Cora Fry (1977), a kind of dramatic monologue, written in spare, simple lines, which describes the young woman’s daily life and troub...more
Published January 31st 1996 by Farrar, Straus and Giroux (first published 1994)

Beth
Jan 12, 2013 Beth rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommended to Beth by: Christine
This one is definitely a novel in poems as opposed to a novel in verse. What's the difference? Well, unlike Omeros or Autobiography of Red (the latter of which is subtitled A Novel in Verse), its segments are untitled lyric poems rather than numbered chapters. As the title suggests, it resembles a diary. Set in rural New Hampshire, it's mostly about the speaker/protagonist's relationships: with her husband, children, parents, brother, friends, even her hometown. In fact the poems are mostly abou...more
Barbara
I read the original (Cora Fry) when my marriage was falling apart. This new edition contains the original text and the newer poems (Cora Fry's Pillow Book). I gave away my original copy and bought this new edition because there's some poetry that is wanting to be written about a woman in an old photograph that I bought at a flea market.
Paula Mckinley
Well crafted, sharp, poignant with lines that you constantly think about and turn over in your mind. This is one that I borrowed from the library and I am going to buy!
Skye
This book is amazing!! I love it so much. You fall in love with Cora Fry and the poems stick with you years later. It would be a great book to teach because it blends the genres of poetry and fiction, and is short enough that high school students wouldn't be too intimidated. A lovely little book!
Elana
Did you know poetry could have a story line? This is a collection of two books of poetry about a small-town New Hampshire woman. Love it!
Deb Hale
Oct 01, 2007 Deb Hale rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: poetry lovers and those who don't think they like poetry
Shelves: poetry
Relevant, real-life poems. I loved this little book by novelist, poet, essayist Rosellen Brown.
Jennifer Kreft
Jennifer Kreft marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Jennifer Miller
Jennifer Miller marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Sophie
Sophie marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Katelyn Shaver
Katelyn Shaver marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2013
Keiko
Keiko marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2013
Julia DelSignore Peoples
Julia DelSignore Peoples marked it as to-read
Dec 20, 2012
Toni
Toni marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2012
Wendolyn
Wendolyn marked it as to-read
Jun 02, 2012
Tiffani
Tiffani marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2011
Victoria Hoyt
Victoria Hoyt is currently reading it
Jul 12, 2010