Start by marking “Chasing Stars (Crossing Stars, #1)” as Want to Read:
Chasing Stars (Crossing Stars, #1)

Chasing Stars (Crossing Stars #1)

As a pampered Los Angeles teen, Portia McGee once created a bucket list with her best friends Tarry and Niki. Though falling in love topped their list, it was the last thing she could ever imagine doing. Through the rejection of her parents, Portia learned early in life that love is elusive. Now a famous and frivolous A-list actress, Portia has a Hollywood pedigree sealed ...more
Published July 10th 2013 by L. Duarte

To ask other readers questions about Chasing Stars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chasing Stars

Wendy'sThoughts
Nov 09, 2013 Wendy'sThoughts rated it really liked it
3.5 Believing, Hopeful Stars * * * */*
The Blurb:
Now a famous and frivolous A-list actress, Portia has a Hollywood pedigree sealed in gold by a celebrity actress mother and New York mogul father. When Porti
Abigail
Jun 14, 2014 Abigail marked it as own-or-going-to-own  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
A copy of Chasing Stars was kindly provided to me by L. Duarte, the author, in exchange for an honest review.

*Buzzin'* thank you!! :D
Fran
Sep 14, 2013 Fran rated it really liked it
PPFF Rating: 4/5 Stars
A poignant read, "honest truth".

I learned very early, how usable we all are, and how vulnerable you become, when you become attached to someone. Instead of being used, I became the one who uses others.

To be honest, I'm still trying to formulate the right words to express how I feel after reading this book. Chasing Stars starts out to be just like any other book about the privileged kids of Hollywood. Portia, Niki and Tarry are three friends who, even with all their paren
Fatima
Oct 16, 2013 Fatima rated it it was amazing
This book was fantastic! Sure, Portia got on my nerves, but she eventually redeemed herself. I absolutely loved and appreciated the faith aspect of the book. Not many books have that. If you're big on faith you should defiantly read this book. If you're not too big on faith you should still read this book. :)
Renee
Jul 13, 2013 Renee rated it it was amazing

I KNOW when I read something within a few pages if I like or love. This BLOWS me away. I have almost 30 quotes. What I loved was the deep story and the ultimate foundation for the entire story was FAITH, God, love, family and hope.

"Though we had all the money most people can only think of, we were the rejects of the plastic city of LA, where artificial is the norm and the normal is outdated"

As very wealthy family begins a life, here is Portia. She is perfect and soon to be a star herself. Her M
Sorcha O'Dowd
Wow! What a stunning debut novel from author L. Duarte! A very real read that tugged at the heartstrings.

I’ve had ‘Chasing Stars’ on my to-read list for a while, eagerly awaiting its release. I was lucky enough to win a Kindle copy in a giveaway by the author, and that’s where my love affair with this book started.

Chasing Stars was a phenomenal and emotional read which has stayed with me for days after finishing it. It tells the story of Portia, a young, troubled and misunderstood actress and th
R. Matthews
Sep 02, 2013 R. Matthews rated it it was amazing
What a great book! This book is not your typical story line, which is completely refreshing. Sometimes in this genre (which I do love so dearly) you feel like it's a matter of inserting different names into the same story, but not here.

There is a strong religious aspect to the story (one that seems almost unbelievable in this day and age) but as a religious person myself, I thought it was great. That being said, if you're not a person who is into any kind of faith, this may not be the book for
Lola
So the honest truth is this...

When I first started reading this book, I was fighting the urge to put it down and walk away. I really couldn't stand Portia, but I made it my mission to finish it.. I am very glad that I did!

If you might not already know this about me, I love books about broken characters. Chasing Stars is that type of book as well. From the start, I didn't think both Portia and Will would be as broken as they were. As their history begins to unfold, it is hard not to empathize wit
Jelena Bosh
Mar 05, 2014 Jelena Bosh rated it it was amazing
"As we stroll down, I remember the day I died. Life has been generous to me. I am neither perfect nor conceited, but now I understand my WORTH. I am right where I am supposed to be, with exactly what I was meant to have..."

I can't explain how thankful I am that I had the chance to not only receive review copies of CHASING STARS #1 and #2 BUT also the fact that I was able to be a part of such an amazing story! I know that that may sound cheesy but gosh did I love reading this book. I finished
L. Duarte
Jul 19, 2013 L. Duarte added it  ·  (Review from the author)
Shelves: fav, verbo
I wrote this...
Kelli
Sometimes, if we are lucky enough, we come across a great book that hits you like a punch to the gut. Well, today was my lucky day! Chasing Stars blindsided me with a round-house kick to my heart and put an unrelenting choke-hold on my soul. Every word, from the first to the last, reached through my kindle screen with some crazy voodoo, Harry Potter-esque magical shit and branded me. (yup, I cried a few times, I'll admit it)

Ms. Duarte is either a witch or a damn genius. I’m betting on a little
Chelsea Camaron
Aug 17, 2013 Chelsea Camaron rated it it was amazing
This is a book to feed the mind, body, and soul. It sparks many emotions throughout the read. I admit to struggling in the very beginning, the opening catches you, then there is a slow build up of what is to come. When you get to the mild lull, keep reading its so worth it and the build up is necessary.

Portia, a selfish, spoiled movie star......or so she portrays. Inside is a broken, neglected, lost girl just trying to find her place in this world.

James Williams Miller "Will", what can I say abo
Casey
Feb 21, 2014 Casey rated it liked it
I received this book from the author through a giveaway. Overall, I thought it was a pretty well written book that I wanted to read from start to finish. I never found myself bored of the story and was always wondering what was coming next. I loved that they did not just jump into bed together and there was a buildup with the two main characters.

With that being said, there were a few things about the book that bothered me. I should note that I am not a very religious person, but I am open to le
Cecily Bonney
Nov 06, 2013 Cecily Bonney rated it it was amazing
My vocabulary isnt big enough to express how this book has touched my heart.
This book is a must 100% read and is now officially on my top ten list for sure.
Will and Portia have an amazing story...one that people can only dream of.
I am wowed at this very moment. I loved the vow that Will takes in this story!!!
I have never read a book like this before and I am so very glad that I did.
This story makes me want to revaluate my life for the better.
Raffi
May 03, 2015 Raffi rated it it was amazing
Speechless, so emotional.

I can't barely describe the feeling that this book has given me. I have read many many books, but none like this one has had me teared eyes and wordless. I love this story, I love how everything make dance and how it kept me so intrigued to turn every page. I think everyone who comes across this book should deff read it!!! :) Amazing story y'all xD
HollyNoel
Nov 29, 2013 HollyNoel rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful story about being loved when you feel unworthy of love. I really enjoyed reading Portia and Will's story. I really enjoyed how the author incorporated faith and God into this book. The ending have me in happy tears. Onto the next book :)
Danielle
I really liked this book. It had a religious aspect to it but it wasn't preachy and it still had a little of that steam that I like in contemporary romance. Can't wait to read the next one.
Doris
Aww..this book is so different. I love Wills faith and that he stands up for his beliefs. I also really liked Portia from the beginning. They are a great couple.
Leslie Shortnacy
Oct 18, 2013 Leslie Shortnacy rated it it was amazing
Ended up loving it!!
MadLoveBookBlog
Dec 28, 2013 MadLoveBookBlog rated it it was amazing
loved it! Review to come!
Love2Read
Everything I expected and more! Love it!!
Mary Palmerin
Sep 04, 2013 Mary Palmerin rated it it was amazing

My only regret for this book is that I didn't read it sooner! This is a flawlessly written five star read from a promising author. Once I had the opportunity to read, I couldn't put it down. Those kind of reads are my favorite stories! When I am pulled into a book, like I was with Chasing Stars, I have this need to finish it. I fell in love with the story from the synopsis. I knew it was something I was going to enjoy. Once I read the prologue, I was hooked.

L. Duarte takes on a unique journey o
Stephanie
Jul 18, 2013 Stephanie rated it really liked it
Shelves: celebrity, hea
This is my review as posted on http://mydailyromance.com/review-chas...

This is a story that's been told many times in many ways, but with some interesting twists.

This is a story about Portia McGee, a neglected rich daughter of a wealthy businessman and a famous actress who ignored her and rejected her. She turned to the only family she knew and that was her two rich friends Niki and Tarry. They made her feel loved and they sought each other to feel what their parents couldn't give them which of
Crystal
Jul 16, 2013 Crystal rated it really liked it
"I am neither perfect nor conceited, but now I understand my worth." -Portia, 'Chasing Stars'.

I picked up the debut novel 'Chasing Stars' based on the recommendation of a friend, and I'm glad I did. This is the story of Portia, a selfish movie star, and Will, a painter/tattoo-artist, and how their worlds are changed when fate (or divine intervention) brings them together. The fire and passion during the first meeting is palpable, but each one has their secrets and personal experiences that dicta
Cristina
Jul 26, 2013 Cristina rated it it was amazing
First let me say that I did not think this book was going to capture my attention when I first started reading it. However, Once i start a book I always finish no matter how I feel about. And I am VERY glad I finished. Never judge a book by the first few chapters. That is why I always finish because you never know what is lurking within those chapters...Prime example!

Will & Portia are broken souls.

Will had a very traumatizing childhood which included, abuse of all kinds, rape, death, abando
Melou53
Aug 31, 2013 Melou53 rated it it was amazing
This story was delightful. What I thought was going to go one way and I thought would be predictable was no way near the truth. I thoroughly enjoyed this story and the dreamy, dreamy hero.
Will, a painter and is renowned for his tattoo abilities and art work. A once broken teenager who endured the foster care system and rose above his past to become the man he is today.

Portia, famous movie star from a rich and famous, loveless home, looking for love and value in all the wrong place.

They meet when
Nicole Denise
Feb 06, 2014 Nicole Denise rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I received this book through first reads. At first it was hard for me to get into but after the first chapter or 2 and I got into the characters it became interesting. It was very easy to relate to the main characters...although I don't think there are many men like Will out there although most women are looking for him! (I was able to relate to his past as it has some similarities to my fiances past which gives me hope.) Portia was very relatable and I think most women can relate to her in more ...more
Peach
Jan 10, 2014 Peach rated it really liked it
There was instant intense physical attraction when Portia, an Oscar winning actress, stepped into the shop of Will for a temporary tattoo. They were polar opposites where Portia was shallow, promiscuous and lived a life of Hollywood debauchery while Will abandoned his life of drugs, was reformed and living a spiritual life. He even wore a purity ring to show his commitment to avoid sex outside of marriage, drugs and alcohol. However, they were soul mates and Will helped fill the emptiness of Por ...more
Melanie
Apr 19, 2015 Melanie rated it really liked it
4.5 Stars

This was a beautifully written story of 2 broken souls finding home, love and security. Portia & Will are so different that coming together is just so right. I love the journey they take together.

The secondary characters are also just as wonderful. I adore the bond, loyalty and friendship Tarry, Nillie and Portia has. I look forward to the next book.
Sinister_reader
unbelievable!!!!! definitely not what I expected. don't let the summary fool you. this story is like nothing I have ever read and nothing I would set out to read. however it was amazing. I give it 4.5 stars because there were some editing errors but the story it's self I give 10 stars to. I'm in love.
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Larkin's Letters
  • Finding Trust (Centre Games, #1)
  • Confused (Getting Inside of V, #2)
  • Know Your Heart (Far North, #2)
  • Stripped (City Lights #1)
  • Chasing Wishes
  • Heartless
  • Havoc
  • Burning Attraction (Cassie, #1)
  • In Dark Woods (Signal Bend, #4.5)
  • High Risk Love (The Risk Series #1)
  • Best Laid Plans (Desire Resort, #2)
  • Nearly Mended (Nearly, #2)
  • Excapades
  • Phoenix (Beautiful, #1.5)
  • The Darker Side of Trey Grey (Trey Grey, #1)
  • Learning to Ride (Dead Men MC #1)
  • Trust in Time (Shaw Brothers Series, Vol. 2)

I have found that there is only one thing better than reading, and that is writing. I am always torn between the two. I am also frequently torn between chocolate and coffee. However, I emphatically do not like the month of February, lies, and flies. For me, bravery is defined by the courage to do what we fear the most. I live in Connecticut with my husband and two children. Drop a few lines. I wou
More about L. Duarte...

Crossing Stars (2 books)
  • To Catch a Falling Star (Crossing Stars, #2)