Start by marking “Off Guard” as Want to Read:
Off Guard

Off Guard (Love Has No Boundaries)

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  162 ratings  ·  33 reviews
Dear Author,
I am a bodyguard, an ex-marine. I have not had the time or inclination for relationships, preferring the occasional casual meeting with other men like me. Until now… until him… my new assignment.

He is utterly shameless. He drives me crazy. How did this happen to me? I’m falling for a twink.

Photo Description:
This prompt included two pictures. The first was a ch
Published July 11th 2013 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

To ask other readers questions about Off Guard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off Guard

Fish & Chips by Abigail RouxThe Heart of Texas by R.J. ScottMy Summer of Wes by Missy WelshDance With Me by Heidi CullinanBlind Faith by N.R. Walker
Gay Beach - Summery Reads
159th out of 192 books — 52 voters
Muscling Through by J.L. MerrowOne of Those Days by Zathyn PriestSock it to Me, Santa! by Madison  ParkerStr8te Boys by Evangeline AndersonDangerous Ground by Josh Lanyon
Best M/M Novellas, Short Stories
356th out of 394 books — 163 voters

More lists with this book...

SheReadsALot
I remember the prompt pictures very well! And what a story to go along with them. Fans of bodyguard / romantic suspense tropes will enjoy this story the most. It was cute dialogue that did not take itself serious.

The dark bits (yes, there's a smidge of kidnap/torture) was not expected but I liked it. Overall a cute story between a grad student, bratty twink and an ex-marine bodyguard. Crime gets solved. HEA sex.

The end

(These LHNB stories are great in between reads!)
Meep
Jul 15, 2013 Meep marked it as dnf
As far as I got was a light reading version of a well used trope.

I don't get the characters though; the ex-marine bodyguard is allowing his charge too much power and seems to spend his time either blushing or rolling his eyes. (view spoiler) Then the client; law student with more interest in pole dancing than keeping alive, for me it's less attraction and more th
Mandy*reads obsessively*
3.65*
This is another great story to some awesomely hot pictures.

Nick's life is in danger and his parents have hired a bodyguard.
Well, Nick acts like a spoiled pain in the rear kid ( i have an aversion to the word brat so I'm not using that one) and I had to make myself continue on, but I'm glad I did.
Nick's just putting on a front and as soon as he shows his real personality I liked him.
It was a busy story, a bad guy, some brutality, some longing, some asshat cops, some action.
I enjoyed it,
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
I think one of the more notable things about this story is how fun it is. Despite not being the best written or the most original premise, it's fast paced and draws you in from the beginning and finishes with you smiling. It's enjoyable and a quick fix. Readability would be 120%. There was a surprisingly dark scene a midst all these fuzzy feels which I felt added more impact, although plot remained quite standard and simple. It's not the most poignant read, but it is certainly one of the more up ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
This is the kind of book I love and MagLagan did a fine job with it. There's lots of danger, near death, and injury. The love is too fast but the characters acknowledge that this could be because of the one week situation they were in. I liked both characters and didn't think either was TSTL (at least after Nick realized there was really a threat). There was only one sex scene and it was hot.

Happy ending? Well all the LHNB stories do. It's a requirement!

3.75 as the whole thing is formulaic but
Silkeeeeee
Hey, Ali. Being from TX, living on ranches much of my life, I've actually had my arm in a cow cunt. So, I got a great visual on Agent Fat and Homophobic. Anyway, loved the story, loved not only Nick, but Joe as well. Short stories, by nature, can't be everything to everyone but as for myself, I loved this one. I hope you get back to writing on a more regular basis soon.

Thanks so much for sharing this with us!
Sandra
Fast-paced thriller about the son of a judge being targeted by a madman as revenge, and the bodyguard who's hired to protect him and subsequently falls for him. Great dialogue, great action scenes and holy hot boysecks, batman.

Free from the M/M Romance group's Love Has No Boundaries challenge.
Sarah_loves_books
The reader advisory said mid-level violence. For me it was extreme violence. I never read or watch violence intentionally. The violent scene was well done. It made me feel the fear and panic of the victim.

Overall, this story by a first-time writer was very well written. It kept my attention, and there were no cliched roles in the relationship, although one of the characters was a twink and the other one a bodyguard. Feelings, and the insecurity when you don't know if the other person feels the s
K
Jul 12, 2013 K rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: dritc
LHNB story released 11.7.13
heading towards 4.5 stars
I have a soft spot for action/crime/PI type stories and this one really enjoyable. Despite their described differences, the two MCs had a good chemistry from the outset and the set up of the story was very well done as was the build up to the final scenes and the conclusion.
Rachel
I enjoyed this story, I liked the premise and the characters, especially Nick. I kinda felt like I didn't fully get that connection between the characters, but I still really enjoyed the action and reading this story. Thank you for a great story!
Meggie
Hm, nothing special! I didn't connect with this shorty mostly because of Nick and his bitchy attitude. I dislike such weak characters and he was an idiot. But Joe, he was interesting.
Crispy
Patchy but a pleasant enough read with some tense and sexy moments to make it worthwhile. Two and a half stars rounded up to three.
Sandra

Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries Anthology: Volume 7. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!

This did not work for me. First and foremost, because I could not understand what the hell Joe could possibly see in Nick. He's rude, immature, obnoxious, and selfish, and despite him being nicer to Joe, that doesn't really change throughout the story. I had a hard time believing this kid was even in law school, seemed more like junior high. His parents
April
Body-guard/twink combo... what's not to like?

I enjoyed this short/novella. Nick was crazy and outrageous, but not an idiot, which was VERY appreciated. He was never really obnoxious at all, just very much his own person.

Joe was great as the tough, former-military body-guard. He, also, was happily more complex than that. He might not have expected to fall for Nick, but knows what he likes and needs and is secure enough not to really do anything stupid in response. He was nicely out, but not scr
Leo
pain in the behind needs to be guarded - tough job
Sunne Manello
This is one of these stories that you think you have read in variations fore, it has kind of stereotyped MCs - former military bodyguard and rich boy twink - and I don't even think that the writing style was special.

But still, it is one of these stories that you just have to like, fast paced, funny, entertaining. As a bonus, it actually gets a bit depth in the end and it has enough little original parts to be the touch better than the average story.

I really enjoyed it.
Annika
It's a long time ago I read about a TSTL character that's why I could go through with this one. This is a story full of cliches and well known situations (apart from the not immediate happy end maybe). Easy, fast read that might keep you entertained but also made me roll my eyes at both Nick and Joe.
Jamie
3.5 stars – Nick’s in danger and Joe is hired to protect him. At first Joe can’t believe he’s attracted to the flamboyant twink but he is. When the FBI steps in and then botches Nick’s protection, Joe has to rescue Nick. Kind of fast and resolves sort of abruptly but entertaining.
Heather
LHNB-24,040
3.5 read for me.

Sassy Twink, rough Ex-Marine/ Body guard. Yum!
Nick was bit of a brat, Joe was closed off.

There's action and a darkness that you wouldn't expect.
My favorite parts were the after effects they both had to work through.
Carole-Ann
Bodyguard - yup! definitely yummy!! Twink - yup, more to him than appears - and what a delightful story this turned out to be!! OMG - people with conscience! (and a little bit of fear for the unknown).

A great contribution to LHNB!! Thank you!!
kasjo_peja
4.5 rounded up. Just because I was in a mood :-).
I think the story was very well written, with good mix of suspense, romance and comedy. The growing attraction between MC was a joy to read.
Penny
3.5 stars. I liked the overall story line. Wish there was more development in their relationship. Went from A to Z with little incite. Would like to see this turned into a full novel.
Melanie~~
Very exciting client/bodyguard story. I enjoyed it.

[NOTE: I rate most writing event stories (free reads) 4 or 5 stars because of my appreciation of the author's participation.]
Victoria
I enjoyed this story and the characters. Nice interpretation of the photo and the story letter. Thank you Ali MacLagan for donating your story, your time and your talent.
Bookbee
Pretty good story by a first-time author! It held my interest throughout. I'll be looking forward to more from Ms. MacLagan!
Janie
Loved this story. The suspense was just right. I knew that he would rescue his Nicky.
Mandi
One of my favorites in the LHNB! Would love to read this as a full length novel. :)
Samantha
3.75 rounded up

This was just a fun slightly-actiony story that I enjoyed :)
Izzah Sanox
This was so sweet and devastating ;*D
Thank you!
  • A.S.H.E.R.
  • Shooting the Curl
  • Letting Go
  • Lost Time

Love Has No Boundaries (1 - 10 of 188 books)
  • #First Impressions #Second Chances
  • Apartment 1209
  • Ares Purpose
  • As He Watches
  • Ass Over Teacup
Window Love Has No Boundaries Anthology: Volume 7 Love's Landscapes Anthology Volume 17