Start by marking “Hardware” as Want to Read:
Hardware

Hardware (Carlotta Carlyle #6)

3.71  ·  Rating Details  ·  652 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
When Boston P.I. Carlotta Carlyle decides to join the computer age and take her business on-line, she quickly learns that information is cheap and access can be deadly. Accustomed as she is to Boston's mean streets, cruising them regularly while moonlighting for the Green & White Cab Company, survival takes on a whole new meaning when Carlotta is hired to investigate a ...more
Audio Cassette, Abridged
Published February 1st 1995 by Random House Audio (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Hardware, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hardware

Ed
May 29, 2016 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
#6 in the Carlotta Carlyle series.

Carlotta Carlyle series - When Boston-area cabbies are targeted in a series of attacks, the professional and personal lives of Carlotta Carlyle bloom with mystery. The part-time PI and part-time cab driver is hired by the Small Taxi Association to investigate the attacks. On the same day, she discovers four microphones hidden at Green & White, the company she drives for. Sam Gianelli, her ``on-again, off-again lover'' and Green & White's co-proprietor, w
Vannessa Anderson
Mar 23, 2014 Vannessa Anderson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: linda-barnes
Carlotta Carlyle is hired by her boss to investigate why her cab drivers are being beaten up. Just when author Barnes had us convinced that we knew who the killer was, she threw in someone who we never suspected! Hardware was a fun and fast read. C.J. Critt storytelling made the story exciting and a fun read.
Robert Scott
Finished 07/08/2014. Carlotta is approached about finding who is purchasing cab medallions for Boston. & then confronted by the person who was accused of doing so. She decides to upgrade to modern technology & get a computer. Sam Gianelli who has been scarce lately offers to get her a good deal on a used computer. She meets his friend Frank who is in fact James Fabrizzi. Then she stands in for Gloria's brother when he is attacked while driving a G & W cab w/o a license. Then S & ...more
Cameron Wiggins
This is a good, quick Barnes’ read starring the part-time Private Detective/Cab Driver, Carlotta Carlyle. As usual, Barnes does do her research. This time, Boston-based Carlotta gets involved with a case at her own work-place Green and White Taxi. Carlotta discovers four bugs in the restroom. Is it the FBI – they use the same type of archaic bugs? If not the FBI, then who could it be, and why?
The FBI is systematically eliminated as the culprit. So, next on the list is the largest taxi company in
Spuddie
Sep 05, 2010 Spuddie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
#6 Carlotta Carlyle mystery. Winter's approaching in Boston, and someone is beating up cab drivers. Carlotta, who drives cab part time to help pay the bills when her PI business doesn't do well enough (which is most of the time) is approached by two different people to investigate--an official in the local Hackneys association, and her boss and friend Gloria, who is part owner of G&W cabs.

Gloria isn't sure whether someone is targeting just her small company or cab drivers in general, and ca
Gail
Jul 23, 2014 Gail rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the grittiest Carlotta Carlyle mystery yet. Still continuing with the series. The characters are great. I love how there is a continuing story woven underneath the main case. It holds the series together but a reader can still pick up a book at any point in the series and not feel lost.
Meredith
May 10, 2015 Meredith rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
I enjoyed this book -- I like Carlotta and Gloria - but I don't think I really understand what happened, or rather how the two threads of the story fit together. So it was a page turner for me that left me scratching my headat the end.
Jill
Oct 01, 2015 Jill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Carlotta must solve the mystery of who is beating up cab drivers, while not getting beat up herself. She also has to deal with her on-and-off boyfriend/boss and whether she needs to make a clean break.
Barbara ★
Mar 23, 2009 Barbara ★ rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2009
This is a good mystery concerning a taxi company (or two), a mafia family including the estranged youngest son, a private investigator dating the taxi owner (said estranged mafia son), and a friend from his past.

I listened to the abridged audiobook of this title and am not sure whether the abrupt conclusion was the author's writing style or due to the revision. I just seemed to me that Carlotta all of a sudden just knew who, what, when, where and why with no real explanation as to how she came
Pat
Feb 22, 2014 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Good book.
Private detective who drives a cab.
Cabbies are attacked.
Cab company blown up.
She has a fling with neighbor shrink, does she love him or not?
Martha Fiorentini
I like this series
Jim
Apr 10, 2015 Jim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a solid entry in the series. The story was good and it fit well with the background story of the series. I have always liked the characters. I am looking forward to reading the next one.
Karen
Feb 20, 2009 Karen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I had trouble getting into this; I just wasn't that concerned about who did it or why. The heroine jumped to one conclusion that really didn't sit well with me and that made me question her judgment from that point on.
LJ
HARDWARE - VG
Barnes, Linda - 6th in Carlotta Carlyle series

Private detective Carlotta Carlyle is helping solve a case involving a cab company.

Computer theft - very good read.
Jim Hager
Dec 24, 2013 Jim Hager rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't care for the first quarter, but stuck with it - glad I did. Surprised at ending, but the clues were there.
Mary Newcomb
Carlotta once again solves a tricky case, at high cost to herself and those around her. The intersection of several powerful families is not the best place to be.

Joe O'c
Aug 23, 2009 Joe O'c rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Good; Continuing Character: Carlotta Carlyle; someone is out to get taxi drivers in Boston, particularly those belonging to Carlotta's Mafia boyfriend.
Joanne
Sep 13, 2009 Joanne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a marginally better book than her first book. A little more character development. Mostly just fluff and fun, a few serious moments.
Cstewart801
Jun 16, 2009 Cstewart801 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have just recently discovered Linda Barnes and am very pleased with her style of writing. Would recommend any of her novels.
Ruth
May 08, 2009 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-pi
really enjoy Carlotta Carlyle stand alone but have ongoing threads also e.g. her little sister and relationships with her guys
Albert
Sep 03, 2011 Albert rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Light reading, fun because it is about Cambridge and Boston. Written in 1995, out of date with Information Systems.
JoDee
Aug 01, 2013 JoDee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good tale with a spin at the end. It is set in 1995 though and reading about computers at that time sounds strange now.
Bevjirwin
OK. Not great.
Sandi
Typical Carlotta.
  • The Cheshire Cat's Eye
  • Alley Kat Blues (Kat Colorado, #6)
  • Blowback (Nameless Detective, #4)
  • The Butter Did It (Chas Wheatley, #1)
  • Tensleep (Em Hansen Mystery, #1)
Linda Barnes is an American mystery writer, born and raised in Detroit, and graduated from Boston University"s School of Theater. She is best known for her series featuring Carlotta Carlyle, a 6'1" redheaded detective from Boston. Carlotta Carlyle is often compared to the hard-boiled female detectives created by Sue Grafton and Sara Paretsky. Her new novel, "The Perfect Ghost," which will be publi ...more
More about Linda Barnes...

Carlotta Carlyle (1 - 10 of 12 books)
  • A Trouble of Fools (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #1)
  • The Snake Tattoo (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #2)
  • Coyote (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery, #3)
  • Steel Guitar (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #4)
  • Snapshot (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #5)
  • Cold Case (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #7)
  • Flashpoint (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #8)
  • The Big Dig (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #9)
  • Deep Pockets (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #10)
  • Heart of the World (A Carlotta Carlyle Mystery #11)