Start by marking “Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)

Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters #1)

3.83  ·  Rating Details ·  1,183 Ratings  ·  138 Reviews
Two people facing crossroads in their lives discover friendship and love in this touching novella by fan favorite Harlequin Superromance author Sarah Mayberry.

Leah Mathews has always been the good sister, the favored one who could do no wrong. But as her thirtieth birthday looms, she's ready to step out of her parents' shadow and make changes in her life. Shes even more in
Published August 1st 2013 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published July 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Her Favorite Temptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Favorite Temptation

Katie
Aug 01, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing
Probably bumping this up a little, but this was really great. Sarah Mayberry is so great at capturing life's hardships beyond the obvious traumas. Parents are hard. Sibling relationships are hard. I've been thinking a lot lately about New Adult books and how so many of them are centered around the Big Tragedy that Changed the Protagonist's Life Forever. And, the thing is, that can be really alienating. I haven't that big thing happen to me, but I'm a little screwed up anyway. And when you parade ...more
A. Bookzilla.
Jan 09, 2014 A. Bookzilla. rated it it was amazing
What do I love about Sarah Mayberry books?

She writes real people, with real problems, and real relationships.
It's why she's my go-to author, especially nowadays when every second book is cookie cutter NA. There are no petty dramas, big dark secrets from the past threatening to tear them apart, jealous ex-girlfriends or great misunderstandings to fuel the plot.

Her Favorite Temptation is a touching love story between Leah, a cardiothoracic surgeon at a crossroads in life, and Will, a down-to-earth
Cathy

I really enjoyed this; I've missed Sarah Mayberry's writing. Even the books by her I haven't loved, I've still always liked a lot. It seems like she can't go wrong for me with her stories (or maybe I've just been lucky with the books I've picked up to now).

I can be fussy where "celebrity" romances are concerned, although compared to some other book using this trope, I don't know if I'd call it that, exactly. Will is a musician whose career has recently taken off and has even won a coup
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
Lovely super-sized novella. As always I wish this was a full sized novel (even though it's almost as long as regular category romance). Leah and Will deserved more time and story. I liked them both a great deal. Even though, in the beginning, there were quite a few similarities to The Other Side of Us, they quickly delineated themselves as different characters. I loved the foundation of friendship they were building before it became more. Their conversations and dialogue were fun to read. And th ...more
ShoSho
This was my third Sarah Mayberry book and loved it.
Lovable characters , a good plot and enough drama and sexy moments to make it a good romance book.

P.S.At one point I was thinking that the character were talking like normal people and then I remembered that this was an Australian author , of course I'd think the dialogues are normal!
Tracy Kellies
Nov 17, 2015 Tracy Kellies rated it really liked it
What a well written book! An extremely sweet and moving love story.

I definitely need to read more Sarah Mayberry books!
Brandy
Aug 24, 2013 Brandy rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Sarah Mayberry is one of those authors I always seem to enjoy but never really seek out. Her Favorite Temptation is probably the story that bumps her into "must have" category, and I can't put a finger on any one reason why that's the case.

Leah is a cardiothoracic surgeon who is about to switch to a different field of medicine because she's never really had a passion for her current field. She's been living life to please her parents, and she's lost herself in the process. She meets her tempora
J
Apr 04, 2014 J rated it really liked it
This was a really good read (I've never read Sarah Mayberry before). Set in Australia, he is 1/2 of a world famous rock group. She's a medical doctor, unhappy with her surgery career and wanting to change to another medical field, to the extreme consternation of her mother. Doctor and rocker live in adjoining apartments. Doctor is very career minded and has no idea who rocker is.

Turns out rocker has moved next door to doctor (in Melbourne) because he has a brain tumor and needs surgery at Melbou
Zumbagirl
My first Sarah Mayberry - super cute and enjoyable:) Will and Leah were a great couple and I liked both of them from the start. Some of my very favorite elements are in this story: friends to lovers and sisters. Having a sister who you are close to and love is a blessing through life. It was touching reading how they were able to come to terms with their parents/childhood and also move forward in a progressive way.

Will...what can I say? Perfection. Love this guy. Kind of reminded me of an Austr
LaFleurBleue
Jul 22, 2014 LaFleurBleue rated it really liked it
Another solid hit from Sarah Mayberry, even though the book was shorter than what I usually prefer.
It was a very sweet romance, definitely taking place today and at the same time, almost slightly old-fashioned in the small place taken by sex over the pages. Not that the characters do not desire each other, but circumstances prevent them from indulging and they built a relationship based on much more and deeper feelings.
I liked the ease with which what could have been a major conflict and issue b
steph
GOOD. GOOD. GOOD. All of it -the relationships between parents and children, the relationships between siblings, the relationship between two different individuals, etc was fantastic. THIS IS HOW YOU DO A PROPER NOVELLA.

Cannot wait to read Audrey's story now.
Sassafrass
Sarah Mayberry knows her CR! I've been reading more and more Sarah Mayberry and I have to tell you that I really enjoy her stuff.  I was looking for a sweet CR to change the pace of some of the darker stuff I had been reading recently and I knew exactly where to turn.  Sarah Mayberry is my go to author in those types of situations and HER FAVORITE TEMPTATION definitely didn't disappoint.

I really loved both Leah and Will and understood where they both were coming from.  I got a little annoyed th
Brie
Aug 30, 2013 Brie rated it liked it
This book had a very strong first half and a super cute, socially-awkward heroine. It falls apart a bit during the second half, but it's still a strong book. This one was more entertaining than the companion full-length novel, Her Favorite Rivalwhich I found compelling but somewhat dull and nowhere near as strong as The Other Side of Us, a book that has some similarities. I'll be reviewing HFR next month (if my blogging mojo comes back).

Both are solid reads, but Ms. Mayberry can do much better.
Nicola Marsh
The perfect book to curl up with, safe in the knowledge you'll get a wonderfully warm read with a guaranteed HEA.

Will and Leah were great together.

Famous musician heroes are usually very alpha, and having a lovely beta hero was surprisingly refreshing.

Thoroughly enjoyed and looking forward to reading Her Favourite Rival, Leah's sister Audrey's story.
Belinda Rule
Oct 02, 2013 Belinda Rule rated it did not like it
Shelves: romance-erotica
My first Mills and Boon.

Sadly, 10 pages in and I'm about ready to ditch this due to unengaging voice and style. It's like it's a summary of a novel given by a corporate motivational speaker. 'Her boss, Professor Ian Stenlake, was an excellent, inspiring surgeon, and she'd learned a great deal working under him.'
Alix
Sarah Mayberry strikes again in the best possible way. She is so good at writing believable characters, romances and hardships. She captured so many complicated dynamics so well and never at any point did I find myself not being completely immersed in Leah and Will's lives. Plus the romance was super hot.

I can't wait to read Audrey's story next!
Kristiej
Sep 23, 2013 Kristiej rated it really liked it
This was more of a novella size book but as with just about all the other books by Sarah Mayberry, I really enjoyed it. The romance between Leah and Will is very sweet and tender. I read it awhile ago before I started back tracking books on Good Reads but unlike so many other books I've read, I do remember this one.
Jordan
Aug 11, 2013 Jordan rated it really liked it
4.5

I really really enjoyed this.

Like this author was super great at getting all the nasty nuances that can come with family and expectations that parents place on you at times (in the worst ways) and the sibling narrative, I CANNOT EVEN DESCRIBE HOW GOOD, EVEN IF PAINFUL.

Plus the romance was great as well, and well done.
Bungluna
Aug 02, 2013 Bungluna rated it really liked it
Shelves: category
I kept wondering how the author was going to give me all I needed to find the HEA believable, but Ms. Mayberry did it again. Writing in a short format she excels at exploring difficult subjects without skimping over any detail. This story of two people at crossroads who find each other in spite of their circumstances was emotionally satisfying and a pleasure to read.
Grace
More like 4.5 stars. I was really into this, definitely one of my favorites by Mayberry so far. I'm very excited for Audrey's story too.

FWIW, this was still free on Amazon as of yesterday and I would recommend. I should also thank Katie for recommending this to me!
Sonja
Aug 19, 2013 Sonja rated it really liked it
4.5 stars! I really, really enjoyed this one! The romance in it was clearly fantastic and the pace of it was perfect. Though even beyond the romance, the dynamics between Will and his family, as well as between Leah and Audrey, were great! Can't wait for Audrey's book.
Lynn Raye Harris
I loved Sarah Mayberry's Her Best Worst Mistake. Loved it passionately! This one was sweet but nothing real dramatic happens. Between the characters, I mean. This is a good story, but I like more drama. :)
Eleanore June
This book was exactly what I needed. Sweet, a little sexy, with characters I really came to know and care about. Lots of emotion without being overwrought and enough fun to keep me smiling.
Karen
Aug 27, 2013 Karen rated it liked it
The story and pacing was a little uneven but still a very sweet romantic read.
Heidi Hart
Jan 07, 2014 Heidi Hart rated it really liked it
I discovered Sarah Mayberry's lovely, down-to-earth, Australian contemporaries about a year ago (with Her Best Worst Mistake, which I loved), and I've gradually been working my way through her back list. Not all of her stories work for me, but I usually appreciate their authenticity: the characters are generally relatable, ordinary people, and the conflict in their relationships develops as they work through relatable, ordinary issues. So this book, where the hero is not 'ordinary' but a Grammy- ...more
Lara
Mar 04, 2017 Lara rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Leah Matthews is the good sister, the accomplished sister; the one who has let her parents plan out her life from the time she was born. Now, on the cusp of her 30th birthday, Leah has decided to start living her life the way she wants. And her sexy new neighbour, Will Jones, seems like a guy who knows how to have a good time.

Will Jones is probably living on borrowed time, so he shouldn't start something he can't finish. But when he meets smart, sexy, and serious Leah all bets are off. Are they
Petra Grayson
Sep 08, 2013 Petra Grayson rated it really liked it
I have loved almost all of Sarah Mayberry's Harlequin Blaze books. This one is a Harlequin SuperRomance. Less lustful and less explicit than a Harlequin Blaze and much more emotionally involved. I didn't dislike the book, but it wasn't as engaging to me as Sarah Mayberry's Blaze books.

Leah is a doctor. About to hit her thirtieth birthday and ready to finally take control of her life. In this case, change her career a bit from the path her parents expect her to take. Still a doctor, but a differe
Kathy
Jan 19, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Alex
Sep 22, 2013 Alex rated it really liked it
The Deal: After a lifetime spent under her parents' thumb, Leah Mathews has decided to finally snap out of it and follow her heart... right out of cardio-thoracic surgery and into immunology. A move her parents are less-than thrilled about, particularly her mother -a general physician who had to drop out of Cardio when she got pregnant with Leah's older sister Audrey.

With the time to step back and take a look at her family and it's dynamics, Leah starts to realize things are a bit messed up the
  • Bring Him Home (Special Forces, #3)
  • Capturing the Silken Thief
  • Making It Last (Camelot, #4)
  • In the Clear (Winter Rescue #1)
  • An Invitation to Sin (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #2)
  • Grease Monkey Jive
  • His Very Own Girl
  • Snowbound
  • Snow-Kissed (Snow Queen, #1)
  • Cracking the Dating Code (The Wests, #2)
  • Girl Least Likely to Marry (The Wedding Season, #2)
  • The Shy Bride (Traditional Greek Husbands #1; Greek Tycoons #6)
  • A Christmas for Carrie (Feeling the Heat, #2.5)
  • If We Dare to Dream (Evans Family, #1)
  • The Passion of Patrick MacNeill (Sweet Home, Carolina, #2; MacNeill Brothers, #1)
  • Fall into My Heart (Subzero, #1)
19909
Sarah Mayberry was born in Melbourne, Australia, and is the middle of three children. From the time that she first “stole” paper from kindergarten and stapled it together to make “books,” Sarah has always wanted to be a writer. In line with this ambition, on graduation from high school she completed a bachelor of arts degree majoring in professional writing, then sat down to write a book. When ins ...more
More about Sarah Mayberry...

Mathews Sisters (2 books)
  • Her Favorite Rival (Mathews Sisters, #2)

“I have felt alone all my life. I was always too smart, or working too hard, or too full of doubt to fit in with everyone else. But when I’m with you, I never feel alone, Will. Never. I feel seen, and I feel listened to, and I feel important and cared for. When I first met you, I told myself I had to be insane to think that someone like you would be interested in someone like me. But it didn’t stop me from falling in love with you, because loving you is as easy and as natural as breathing for me. This may shock you, but my love doesn’t come with conditions or requirements. It absolutely doesn’t require physical exam, that is for sure. It just is, Will. And it’s unstoppable, because, believe me, I’ve tried to stop it. So I guess what I’m trying to say in my usual inarticulate, rambly, too-wordy way, is that I’m not going anywhere. No matter what.” 2 likes
“I spend most of my days up to my elbows in someone’s chest cavity. Really, I know zip about music."

He didn’t bother hiding his surprise. “Wow. That must be...messy.”

“That didn’t sound too great, did it? Let me reassure you—I’m a doctor, not a serial killer.”
1 likes