Start by marking “Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)” as Want to Read:
Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters, #1)

Her Favorite Temptation (Mathews Sisters #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  962 ratings  ·  127 reviews
Two people facing crossroads in their lives discover friendship and love in this touching novella by fan favorite Harlequin Superromance author Sarah Mayberry.

Leah Mathews has always been the good sister, the favored one who could do no wrong. But as her thirtieth birthday looms, she's ready to step out of her parents' shadow and make changes in her life. Shes even more in
Published August 1st 2013 by Harlequin Special Releases (first published July 28th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Her Favorite Temptation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Her Favorite Temptation

Katie
Probably bumping this up a little, but this was really great. Sarah Mayberry is so great at capturing life's hardships beyond the obvious traumas. Parents are hard. Sibling relationships are hard. I've been thinking a lot lately about New Adult books and how so many of them are centered around the Big Tragedy that Changed the Protagonist's Life Forever. And, the thing is, that can be really alienating. I haven't that big thing happen to me, but I'm a little screwed up anyway. And when you parade ...more
A. Bookzilla.
What do I love about Sarah Mayberry books?

She writes real people, with real problems, and real relationships.
It's why she's my go-to author, especially nowadays when every second book is cookie cutter NA. There are no petty dramas, big dark secrets from the past threatening to tear them apart, jealous ex-girlfriends or great misunderstandings to fuel the plot.

Her Favorite Temptation is a touching love story between Leah, a cardiothoracic surgeon at a crossroads in life, and Will, a down-to-earth
Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish)
Lovely super-sized novella. As always I wish this was a full sized novel (even though it's almost as long as regular category romance). Leah and Will deserved more time and story. I liked them both a great deal. Even though, in the beginning, there were quite a few similarities to The Other Side of Us, they quickly delineated themselves as different characters. I loved the foundation of friendship they were building before it became more. Their conversations and dialogue were fun to read. And th ...more
Judy
This was a really good read (I've never read Sarah Mayberry before). Set in Australia, he is 1/2 of a world famous rock group. She's a medical doctor, unhappy with her surgery career and wanting to change to another medical field, to the extreme consternation of her mother. Doctor and rocker live in adjoining apartments. Doctor is very career minded and has no idea who rocker is.

Turns out rocker has moved next door to doctor (in Melbourne) because he has a brain tumor and needs surgery at Melbou
ShoSho
This was my third Sarah Mayberry book and loved it.
Lovable characters , a good plot and enough drama and sexy moments to make it a good romance book.

P.S.At one point I was thinking that the character were talking like normal people and then I remembered that this was an Australian author , of course I'd think the dialogues are normal!
LaFleurBleue
Another solid hit from Sarah Mayberry, even though the book was shorter than what I usually prefer.
It was a very sweet romance, definitely taking place today and at the same time, almost slightly old-fashioned in the small place taken by sex over the pages. Not that the characters do not desire each other, but circumstances prevent them from indulging and they built a relationship based on much more and deeper feelings.
I liked the ease with which what could have been a major conflict and issue b
Zumbagirl
My first Sarah Mayberry - super cute and enjoyable:) Will and Leah were a great couple and I liked both of them from the start. Some of my very favorite elements are in this story: friends to lovers and sisters. Having a sister who you are close to and love is a blessing through life. It was touching reading how they were able to come to terms with their parents/childhood and also move forward in a progressive way.

Will...what can I say? Perfection. Love this guy. Kind of reminded me of an Austr
Brandy
Sarah Mayberry is one of those authors I always seem to enjoy but never really seek out. Her Favorite Temptation is probably the story that bumps her into "must have" category, and I can't put a finger on any one reason why that's the case.

Leah is a cardiothoracic surgeon who is about to switch to a different field of medicine because she's never really had a passion for her current field. She's been living life to please her parents, and she's lost herself in the process. She meets her tempora
steph
GOOD. GOOD. GOOD. All of it -the relationships between parents and children, the relationships between siblings, the relationship between two different individuals, etc was fantastic. THIS IS HOW YOU DO A PROPER NOVELLA.

Cannot wait to read Audrey's story now.
Sassafrass
Sarah Mayberry knows her CR! I've been reading more and more Sarah Mayberry and I have to tell you that I really enjoy her stuff. I was looking for a sweet CR to change the pace of some of the darker stuff I had been reading recently and I knew exactly where to turn. Sarah Mayberry is my go to author in those types of situations and HER FAVORITE TEMPTATION definitely didn't disappoint.

I really loved both Leah and Will and understood where they both were coming from. I got a little annoyed that W
Brie C.
This book had a very strong first half and a super cute, socially-awkward heroine. It falls apart a bit during the second half, but it's still a strong book. This one was more entertaining than the companion full-length novel, Her Favorite Rivalwhich I found compelling but somewhat dull and nowhere near as strong as The Other Side of Us, a book that has some similarities. I'll be reviewing HFR next month (if my blogging mojo comes back).

Both are solid reads, but Ms. Mayberry can do much better.
Bungluna
I kept wondering how the author was going to give me all I needed to find the HEA believable, but Ms. Mayberry did it again. Writing in a short format she excels at exploring difficult subjects without skimping over any detail. This story of two people at crossroads who find each other in spite of their circumstances was emotionally satisfying and a pleasure to read.
Nicola Marsh
The perfect book to curl up with, safe in the knowledge you'll get a wonderfully warm read with a guaranteed HEA.

Will and Leah were great together.

Famous musician heroes are usually very alpha, and having a lovely beta hero was surprisingly refreshing.

Thoroughly enjoyed and looking forward to reading Her Favourite Rival, Leah's sister Audrey's story.
Alix
Sarah Mayberry strikes again in the best possible way. She is so good at writing believable characters, romances and hardships. She captured so many complicated dynamics so well and never at any point did I find myself not being completely immersed in Leah and Will's lives. Plus the romance was super hot.

I can't wait to read Audrey's story next!
Jordan
4.5

I really really enjoyed this.

Like this author was super great at getting all the nasty nuances that can come with family and expectations that parents place on you at times (in the worst ways) and the sibling narrative, I CANNOT EVEN DESCRIBE HOW GOOD, EVEN IF PAINFUL.

Plus the romance was great as well, and well done.
Belinda Rule
My first Mills and Boon.

Sadly, 10 pages in and I'm about ready to ditch this due to unengaging voice and style. It's like it's a summary of a novel given by a corporate motivational speaker. 'Her boss, Professor Ian Stenlake, was an excellent, inspiring surgeon, and she'd learned a great deal working under him.'
Kristiej
This was more of a novella size book but as with just about all the other books by Sarah Mayberry, I really enjoyed it. The romance between Leah and Will is very sweet and tender. I read it awhile ago before I started back tracking books on Good Reads but unlike so many other books I've read, I do remember this one.
Sheri
I was recently reminded of past Sarah Mayberry books I've enjoyed. I looked to see what new releases might be out and found this. I enjoyed this book so much. Primarily because the characters behaved like real, regular people. The story has a huge uncertainty and major block--the hero has a critical health problem. The heroine, a physician training in her specialty, doesn't even learn of it until halfway through the book. And although it's important to the plot, it's recognized that it's an unco ...more
Sonja
4.5 stars! I really, really enjoyed this one! The romance in it was clearly fantastic and the pace of it was perfect. Though even beyond the romance, the dynamics between Will and his family, as well as between Leah and Audrey, were great! Can't wait for Audrey's book.
Grace
More like 4.5 stars. I was really into this, definitely one of my favorites by Mayberry so far. I'm very excited for Audrey's story too.

FWIW, this was still free on Amazon as of yesterday and I would recommend. I should also thank Katie for recommending this to me!
Heidi Hart
I discovered Sarah Mayberry's lovely, down-to-earth, Australian contemporaries about a year ago (with Her Best Worst Mistake, which I loved), and I've gradually been working my way through her back list. Not all of her stories work for me, but I usually appreciate their authenticity: the characters are generally relatable, ordinary people, and the conflict in their relationships develops as they work through relatable, ordinary issues. So this book, where the hero is not 'ordinary' but a Grammy- ...more
Lynn Raye Harris
I loved Sarah Mayberry's Her Best Worst Mistake. Loved it passionately! This one was sweet but nothing real dramatic happens. Between the characters, I mean. This is a good story, but I like more drama. :)
Lizzie
Another mid-list Mayberry read, largely because of the uneven pacing between the two halves. Leah's sterile life is a little funny, a little sad, but tolerable because of her nagging self-awareness that she is too entirely square. Will is dreamy, sweet, and dignified in the face of his enormous fear. Their meet cute and subsequent relationship is compelling, and Leah's separate family drama, angsty. This entire momentum is interrupted by Will's medical procedure, and the second half of the book ...more
Kathy
Marsha
When I first read the summary tor "Her Favorite Temptation" I was anxious to read it. However, if truth be told, after reading the story I wad disappointed. The story was too slow in developing for the first 40% of the read and I found myself wondering if I would be able to finish it.

Leah Matthews has always been the perfect daughter between herself and her older sister. Her mother is a hard nosed, critical woman who wants to relived her life through Leah. Unfortunately, her older sister walks t
Kaetrin
Why I read it: This is the free “novella” released last week by Harlequin. I enjoy all things Mayberry so I not only downloaded it the same day – I read it too. I say “novella” because it’s 180 pages so it’s a long-ass novella. Bonus!

It’s free until the end of August but after that, it’s likely to go up to $2.99 or so. It’s well worth the money but free is better so get downloading.

Australian readers please note that the title is spelled Her Favourite Temptation over here.

What worked for me (and
Jessica Lemmon
Aug 31, 2013 Jessica Lemmon rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Charissa Weaks
Shelves: kindle
I've come to expect Sarah Mayberry to gift us with page upon page of deep, complex emotion and characters who have self-revelations so real, you'd swear it was happening to you. Her Favorite Temptation is no exception.

How does it feel to be the favored child to your parents? How does it feel to be in limbo in your own life? How does it feel to be in love, yet know how utterly unfair it is to share the truth with your partner? And, how does it feel to face your own potentially imminent death far
Alex
The Deal: After a lifetime spent under her parents' thumb, Leah Mathews has decided to finally snap out of it and follow her heart... right out of cardio-thoracic surgery and into immunology. A move her parents are less-than thrilled about, particularly her mother -a general physician who had to drop out of Cardio when she got pregnant with Leah's older sister Audrey.

With the time to step back and take a look at her family and it's dynamics, Leah starts to realize things are a bit messed up the
Petra Grayson
I have loved almost all of Sarah Mayberry's Harlequin Blaze books. This one is a Harlequin SuperRomance. Less lustful and less explicit than a Harlequin Blaze and much more emotionally involved. I didn't dislike the book, but it wasn't as engaging to me as Sarah Mayberry's Blaze books.

Leah is a doctor. About to hit her thirtieth birthday and ready to finally take control of her life. In this case, change her career a bit from the path her parents expect her to take. Still a doctor, but a differe
  • Bring Him Home
  • Snow-Kissed (Snow Queen #1)
  • The Shy Bride (Traditional Greek Husbands #1; Greek Tycoons #6)
  • Making It Last (Camelot, #4)
  • Capturing the Silken Thief
  • An Invitation to Sin (Sicily's Corretti Dynasty, #2)
  • The Mad Earl's Bride (Scoundrels, #3.5)
  • In the Clear (Winter Rescue #1)
  • Carolina Home (Dare Island, #1)
  • Last Summer
  • The Scandalous, Dissolute, No-Good Mr. Wright
  • Girl Least Likely to Marry (The Wedding Season, #2)
  • If We Dare to Dream (Evans Family, #1)
  • Snowbound
  • His Very Own Girl
  • Fall into My Heart (Subzero, #1)
19909
Sarah Mayberry was born in Melbourne, Australia, and is the middle of three children. From the time that she first “stole” paper from kindergarten and stapled it together to make “books,” Sarah has always wanted to be a writer. In line with this ambition, on graduation from high school she completed a bachelor of arts degree majoring in professional writing, then sat down to write a book. When ins ...more
More about Sarah Mayberry...

Mathews Sisters (2 books)
  • Her Favorite Rival (Mathews Sisters, #2)
Her Best Worst Mistake The Other Side of Us Anything for You Her Best Friend The Best Laid Plans

“I spend most of my days up to my elbows in someone’s chest cavity. Really, I know zip about music."

He didn’t bother hiding his surprise. “Wow. That must be...messy.”

“That didn’t sound too great, did it? Let me reassure you—I’m a doctor, not a serial killer.”
1 likes
“This may shock you, but my love doesn’t come with conditions or requirements. It absolutely doesn’t require physical exam, that is for sure. It just is, Will. And it’s unstoppable, because, believe me, I’ve tried to stop it. So I guess what I’m trying to say in my usual inarticulate, rambly, too-wordy way, is that I’m not going anywhere. No matter what.” 1 likes