Start by marking “The Monkey Goes Bananas” as Want to Read:
The Monkey Goes Bananas

The Monkey Goes Bananas

It’s time to go bananas!
A determined monkey spies a banana tree across the water. What happens next is an inventive romp, as the resourceful monkey attempts to grab a snack, with some hilarious consequences.
Published May 6th 2014 by Harry N. Abrams (first published May 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Monkey Goes Bananas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Monkey Goes Bananas

Margaret Welwood
Apr 13, 2015 Margaret Welwood rated it it was amazing
The monkey book was very funny." K, six years old

This is one of the most engaging books I've read to the kindergartners. The sparse text (The Monkey/The Bananas/The Water/The Monkey The Shark . . . .) lets them "read" along with me, and Peter Raymundo's bright, bold, simple pictures facilitate that.

The book has a pretty twisted plot, thanks to the creative pen of C.P. Bloom and her resourceful, optimistic little simian.

There's plenty of drama with cliffhangers, giving me opportunities to ask, "
Barbara
A determined monkey simply must have the yummy yellow bananas he spies across the water, and despite the risks, he keeps trying to get to them. The book uses simple vocabulary in effective fashion, set against the colorful backdrop of vividly-colored illustrations. Readers will certainly be entertained by his persistence and the ever-present circling shark in the waters. The last page will prompt a guffaw from just about anyone.
June
Aug 09, 2015 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Monkey picture book requests
Recommended to June by: capitalchoices.org
A monkey spies a banana tree across the water... How to get the bananas?

Wonderful, bright, clear illustrations add lots to the humor.

Going to try this at my monkey story time next week, and will possibly revise then. 7/14/14

This went over really well at PJ Time with children ranging from toddlers to an older sister of 7 or 8, so I am rounding it up to 4 stars. I'll try it in Preschool Story Time tomorrow. 7/21/14

Huge hit with children and parents at story time.
Benji Martin
Sep 30, 2014 Benji Martin rated it it was amazing
My students love this one. Every class I've read it to has had two or three students begging to check it out afterwards.
Michael Parras
Oct 05, 2016 Michael Parras rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kids-adventure
Kelly
May 12, 2016 Kelly rated it liked it
Carlye
Jan 28, 2015 Carlye rated it it was amazing
Summary:
Basically the monkey wants the BANANAS! But obstacles are in the way of him getting to the bananas. The obstacles don't stop the monkey from trying though. What do you think; do you think the monkey will end up with the bananas?

Connections:
In Chapter 2 of our textbook it talks about how it’s ongoing controversy about if Children’s books should be about the hardships of life or just paint rosy pictures (to have them keep their innocence). I think this book would kind of fit into a hardsh
Stacie
Apr 01, 2015 Stacie rated it it was amazing
Author: C.P. Bloom
Illustrator: Peter Raymundo
Title: The Monkey Goes Bananas

Plot: "It’s time to go bananas!
Full of energy, surprise, and strong visual storytelling, this practically wordless picture book will entice even the most reluctant reader. The Monkey Goes Bananas is fast-paced, delicious fun that’s sure to le
Brittany
Sep 11, 2016 Brittany rated it it was amazing
That shark is just the perfect twist!
Emily Uebel
Apr 28, 2015 Emily Uebel rated it it was amazing
This is a picture book that is meant for kids from three years of age to about six years of age. I thought this book was funny and had a great story to it, so therefore I am rating it five out of five stars. This book is great for young kids because it is easy to read, is funny, and will catch a young reader’s attention. This book is about a monkey who is trapped on an island where across the water is a tree full of bananas! However there is a BIG shark that is stopping him from getting his ...more
Lynn
Dec 20, 2014 Lynn rated it really liked it
Unusually simple, the main characters are introduced one page at a time: the monkey, the shark, and the objects: the stilts, the fishing pole, the bait, all in pursuit of the banana. There are no sentences, but no lack of understanding the story due to the clever use of single words. The author was able to focus down to the simplest terms yet bring big meaning to this story.
Similar to Curious George in appearance, determination, and activity, this unnamed monkey tries several ways to overcome th
Carol
I thought it was more of a 3 star but since my young reader immediately took to it and asked for a reread the moment we finished it, I've upped the score. Her opinion is more important than mine. This book won 2016's PA's Young Readers' Choice Award for elementary books which was the reason we read it and it's reason enough for many young readers to pick up the book and give it a try. The state book award lists are most often the results of K-12 students voting on their respective age group ...more
Great Books
Feb 18, 2015 Great Books rated it it was amazing
Shelves: birth-4, ages-5-8
The monkey. An Island. The Bananas. Another island. The Shark. A stretch of water. How will the monkey get the bananas? There you have the cast and setting for the funniest story I've read all year. This almost wordless picture book is amazing and an example of how visual storytelling should work. The words are are an added pleasure to the hilarious energy filled illustrations. Will the monkey get the bananas? Will the shark get the monkey? This is a laugh out loud funny book that will be ...more
Julee
Humorous minimal text story about a monkey, a bunch of bananas on a different little island, and a shark that separates the monkey from the desired babanas. Little monkey tries a number of ways to get past the shark to the bananas but is thwarted time and time again until he achieves success...sort of.

This will be a fun read aloud with lots of predicting what will happen next. Kids will be howling with laughter.
Becky
My 2 year old daughter thinks this book is absolutely hilarious. She especially likes the page where the illustrator ingeniously depicts the monkey being flung across the watery chasm between the islands separating himself (once again) from the bananas. I add a few monkey "oooo's" and "aaaaa's" and "eeee's" to make it that much more comical. I still can't get over how much she LOVES this book. It's a book of few words, but it's a great story.
Ashley
This book was cute and somewhat funny. I loved the artwork, but it did leave me wanting more from the story. To my understanding there are more of these books so I'll probably be checking them out soon.
Kelsey
Age: Toddler-Kindergarten
Animals: Monkey, shark

This is one determined monkey! He even attempts a pulley system to retrieve a bundle of bananas on a nearby island. Why can't he just swim? A shark lies in wait, ready for his next meal. The graphics are sure to catch the eye of younger ones and the physical humor will please a wide age range.
Renee
Aug 15, 2014 Renee rated it liked it
Recommends it for: PreK-K
3.5 A monkey tries a variety of antics to get a banana and not get eaten by the shark, but will any of them work? The illustrations have some that are panels giving it the feel of a graphic novel/comic style format. I will have to read it aloud to children, to see how funny they think it is - I found it entertaining.
Sandy
Sep 06, 2016 Sandy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens, animals
Such an adorable book. I loved the excitement the monkey had in his attempt to get to the bananas. I loved his facial expressions and how you could almost know what he was thinking. Poor little guy I wanted him to have the bananas.
Amy
A~somewhat~wordless picture book adventure, in which monkey tries his hardest to get to the banana tree on an island across a distance of ocean from his own island. Sparse, label~like text helps to tell this comical tale. Bright, bold, cartoony illustrations.
Cemeread
Sep 23, 2014 Cemeread added it
Shelves: children
3.5 stars There are very words or sentences in this humorous tale of a monkey who wants the bananas on another island, but wants to avoid the shark. The monkey's face is expressive. He tries a few ideas before he thinks he has found the right one. Possible story time choice.
Hana P.B.
Aug 28, 2015 Hana P.B. rated it liked it
Like the book. Especially the illustrations are really good, the monkey does remind me of 'Curious George' one of the people's favs. All in all it's a good book and I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to buy it.
Emma
Aug 07, 2016 Emma rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2016
I loved reading this to my nannying kids. They're quite young so the sparse text was awesome at having them "read" to me (just me pointing to the object really) and I personally found the story and illustrations engaging and funny! Would recommend for anyone with a young audience
Chrissy
May 23, 2014 Chrissy rated it it was amazing
I started howling with laughter around page 5 (or I would have howled with laughter if I hadn't been in the library ^_^). Funny, adorable, great for story-time - I can't wait to use it in my programming! Kids will love this one!
Alice
Dec 26, 2014 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: 3-75-stars
3.75 Stars This book is a very simple reader with only a few words. A lot can be learned by just looking at the pictures.

It is about problem solving! The pictures are cute but .... I think the ending is kind of sad :-(
Jess
Aug 04, 2014 Jess rated it liked it
Great comic timing, and the minimal, repetitive text would make this a great easy reader. The illustrations serve the story, and really do carry the bulk of the storytelling, but feel a bit flat and cartoony.
Brittany
Nov 05, 2014 Brittany rated it really liked it
A funny story of a monkey who wants bananas across shark-infested waters. With few words (The monkey! The shark! The bananas!) the pictures tell most of the story. Although I wish the illustrations were a little more classic as opposed to cartoony- but c'est la vie.
Karen
This has the feel of a cartoon short - relies on circumstance and derring do to move the story along in a most funny way. Gotta love the determined monkey keeping his eye on the prize despite the shark nemesis.
Robin Raines-Bond
Feb 17, 2015 Robin Raines-Bond rated it liked it
This is a great picture book with very few words, but the pictures tell the story perfectly. Love the Monkey! Love the shark!
Graeme
Oct 02, 2014 Graeme rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
I wainting for the sequel Banana Goes Monkeys. Hopefully it'll be just as exciting as this was. Very cute book?!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Duck, Duck, Moose!
  • This Is a Moose
  • It's an Orange Aardvark!
  • Number One Sam
  • Oh Dear Geoffrey!
  • Buddy and the Bunnies: In Don't Play with Your Food
  • Ninja Red Riding Hood
  • Count the Monkeys
  • Flashlight
  • This Book Just Ate My Dog!
  • My Pet Book