Start by marking “Das vierte Opfer” as Want to Read:
Das vierte Opfer

Das vierte Opfer (Inspector Van Veeteren #2)

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  3,740 ratings  ·  280 reviews
In Kaalbringen, einem ehemals beschaulichen Küstenort, regiert der Schrecken: Drei bestialische Morde sind geschehen, kurz hintereinander. Einheimische und Feriengäste reagieren mit Panik. Denn irgendwo mitten in der Stadt sitzt der Mörder und plant in Ruhe seinen nächsten Schlag. Wann und wo wird der »Axtmörder«, wie er inzwischen im Volksmund heißt, wieder zuschlagen? Da ...more
Published 1999 by btb (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Das vierte Opfer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Das vierte Opfer

Maria João Fernandes
Segundo Borkmann, todas as investigações atingem um ponto em que já foi reunida informação suficiente para resolver o crime com nada mais do que o simples pensamento lógico. Cabe ao responsável pelo caso saber quando este ponto é atingido.

E é isto que distingue um bom de um mau policia. Um mau policia continuará a reunir informação que, na pior das situações, irá prejudicar a resolução do mistério. Será Van Veeteren um bom ou mau policia?

O livro "Borkmann's Point" é o segundo livro da série do
Mark Stevens
Borkmann is an old cop, one of the few that Chief Inspector Van Veeteren respects. Van Veeteren is thinking about Borkmann while he’s sitting in the tub, three bottles of brown ale in a bucket of cold water on the floor “and a dish of fat olives within easy reach.”

In every investigation, Borkmann maintained, “there comes a point beyond which we don’t really need any more information. When we reach that point, we already know enough to solve the case by means of nothing more than some decent thi
Tony
Nesser, Hakan. BORKMANN’S POINT. (1994; Eng. trans. 2006). ****. Here’s an early Inspector Van Veeteren mystery that I could swear I’d read before, but I’m at an age where nothing much would surprise me. Van Veeteren is very much like a Swedish Poirot; he uses his little gray cells to his benefit to solve crimes. The crimes in this tale are particularly gruesome – there’s an axe murderer loose in Kaalbringen. The local force is small, and they request help from Stockholm. Bring on Van Veeteren! ...more
Tahmeena
After a very good "Mind's Eye", I found this book slightly disappointing. The plot felt slow at times, which was pretty frustrating. However, that might be exactly what the author intended: the reader to become as frustrated as the investigative team with the lack of progress in solving the crime! If so, he was successful!

Having said that, this book had more good qualities than bad. The mystery was interesting enough...the "bad guy" was literally an axe murderer! The conclusion was somewhat surp
Rachelle Urist
I liked it. Didn't love it, but found it engaging and even engrossing enough to read it through. The book is notable for its complex story and cliff-hanger section endings. Those, not the characters, drive the reader on. The characters are interesting enough, and I liked the lone investigator, Van Veeteren. The ending, too, tied the various plot lines up tidily - and with satisfying surprise. I'll probably read more Hakan Nesser, but I'm going through a pile of Scandinavian mystery writers, and ...more
Deale Hutton
The first in the Van Veerteren series I've read. Really good. I love Swedish crime fiction, there is just nothing like it--dark, melancholy and just graphic enough, not overboard. IMO Swedish crime authors have the best character development, and Hakan Nesser is no exception; you know each character while fereting out the murderer. I had a confusing number of suspects like the investigators, and I started to realize 'who done it' about the same time as Van Veerteren, There is a moral component t ...more
Cheryl
It read easily but without flair. Too much padding in attempt to prolong little bursts of weak suspense. Too much extraneous detail about various characters' interior lives which was completely irrelevant to the story, without the saving grace of providing a different perspective into the human condition. This seems to be a common pitfall in this genre. Enjoyed the short snippets of the villain's POV. Other than the names, it felt generic.
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
A little slow for me but well crafted with developed characters and a solid mystery. Not a lot of atmosphere though - it could have been happening in any part of the world. The translation was first rate - Ive read a few by similar authors such as Mankell where the translation is just a little bit off.
Dylan Edwards
Slow paced but dark procedural crime novel ..
bookczuk
Dec 10, 2011 bookczuk rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Carolyn (in SC) C234D Lattanzio
Recommended to bookczuk by: nancy oakes
Kind of a funny thing about this book. I read a review by a friend and put it on my wish list, then forgot about it.

Two years later, I found a copy of Borkmann's Point at the local Goodwill and grabbed it up, confusing Nesser's Van Veeteren with the mystery writer Janwillem Lincoln van de Wetering, and his wonderful series of books starring Grijpstra and de Gier, a pair of Amsterdam police officers. The book was snagged by my darling husband, who is a huge fan of Scandinavian mystery writers. He
Bonnie Brody
Borkmann's Point: An Inspector Van Veeteren Mystery is a Swedish import by Hakan Nesser. Borkmann's point refers to an axiom provided to Inspector Van Veeteren. Basically, the point is that in an investigation, there comes a time when there is enough information gathered to solve the crime. More information is useless and less information is not enough.

The gist of this novel is about an axe murderer who has killed three men by chopping off their heads. This serial killer is on the loose in the s
Roderick Hart
This excellent crime novel falls within the sub-genre of police procedural. The author may have been influenced by the Martin Beck series of Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö. We have the same interest in police procedure evidenced, for example, by the painstaking efforts of Inspector Kropke with his pins of many colours stuck into a map, the quoting verbatim of an interview as dialogue in transcript form, and van Veeteren’s habit of chewing on a tooth-pick lifted from the same habit of the Malmö detec ...more
Larissa
The basic premise is this: Detective Chief Inspector Van Veeteren of the (imaginary) city of Maarsdam is vacationing in the nearby seaside town Kaalbringen. Although he’s scheduled to go back to work, he’s recruited to stay in town and join forces with the local Kaalbringen police after a man murdered with an ax is discovered. Shortly after, there is another murder—similar in method, although the victims have nothing apparent in common. While he quickly bonds with the members of the Kaalbringen ...more
Jenny
I loved this book, and now I want to read more Inspector Van Veeteren mysteries by Hakan Nesser. An axmurderer? How cliche, right. Think again. This mystery is smart, post-modern, and defintely worth your time. Excellent character development, intriguing and economical narrative with just the right amount of philosophical musings.

Borkmann's point was an insight given to Inspector Van Veeteren by his superior early in Van Veetern's career, "In every investigation, he maintained, there comes a po
Susan
Dec. 22, 2012: except that I knew the solution, just as good second time around.

June 26, 2009: How long will it take clever Swedish chief inspector Van Veeteren off his native turf to find an ax-murderer in Kalbringen? Long enough for Hakan Nesser to give a complete analysis of a postcard-pretty Swedish beach town. Anyone can be the murderer or fall in love while Van Veeteren swaps chess moves and enjoys prime wine with the local head of police who is about to retire. Great example of the kind o
Gail
I stumbled across Hakan Nesser books by pure chance and after reading Mind's Eye I was thoroughly impressed, so downloaded the rest of the Van Veeteren novels. Thus, I started reading Borkmann's Point with a small degree of trepidation, as I didn't think this would be as good as its predecessor. I am glad to say I was totally wrong.

I will not go into the plot details, suffice to say that I was hooked from start to finish. I really like Van Veeteren and his sidekick, Munster. I thought I had figu
Linda  Branham Greenwell
I really like these English detective stories! Detective Van Veeteren
This is a good police procedural type of book - complete with an axe-murderer
The reader gets a real sense of the detectives, victims and other characters in the novel. Nesser has a real gift for this
But it a story about following every possible lead, interviewing hundreds of people, gathering massive reams if information, pursuing unrelated lines of inquiry and, somewhere in the process, finding the one piece of information tha
Sharon
Started off quite interesting then started to meander and plod. Seemed to me that Inspector Van Veeteren (view spoiler).

As I got hold of the next book in this series before reading this one, I will persist and read it to see if they get more interesting.
Naomi
There will be absolutely no hint of spoilers in Nesser reviews from me! I found Nesser books after running out of Karin Fossum books to read. Nesser's writing is excellent and does an unbelievable job at sucking the reader in to the twisted story being laid out. For some reason, in the majority of Scandanavian mystery writers I have found, their ability to do that is second to no other countries mystery writers. The only thing I am not happy about with Nesser's books is that it takes WAY too lon ...more
Jon Frum
I can't believe this book is rated so highly at this site. During the Golden Age of mystery writing, a group of writers famously came up with a list of absolute "don'ts" for writers. This book comes as close as you possibly can to violating one of the most important rules without precisely doing it. And the fact that it involves the identity of the murderer means that the reader has to get to the last pages before being disappointed. Some books are better than others, and some flaws can be passe ...more
Ken Mueller

One is reminded of the Martin Beck procedurals of Maj Sjöwall and Per Wahlöö, the prose as clear as Nordic air, the clues as slippery as melting ice. Not that Nesser doesn't have his moments of song. As sibilant and ethereal as a Sibelius passage, our author will wax poetic:
"What we can be sure of , what we can rely on absolutely, is evil. It never lets us down. Good... goodness is only a stage set, a backdrop against which the satanic performs. Nothing else .....nothing."
But these are a sparse
Sandy

This is another Scandinavian author whose catalogue is gradually being translated for the North American audience. It features CI Van Veeteren, a Swedish cop with more than 30 years on the job.
Van Veeteren is currently enjoying the last days of his summer vacation when his chief calls. Seems they're having a little problem with an axe murderer in nearby Kaalbringen. Would he mind popping over & having a look around?
There he meets Bausen, the soon-to-retire chief & his crew, one
Helen
Borkmann's Point: "the point beyond which we really don't need any more information. When we reach that point, we already know enough to solve the case by means of nothing more than some decent thinking. " Strangely (as it is not at all obvious and there are several red herrings) I guessed the murderer straight away - but it seemed so unbelievable that I was sure I was wrong, and read the whole book very quickly hoping to prove that I was!

An axe murderer has struck twice in a sleepy seaside town
Donna
A great addition to the Scandinavian mystery genre. I am so glad more of Nesser's interesting books are being translated into English along with the books by Fossum, Eriksson, and Mankell.

Chief Inspector Van Veeteren is a complex man and since this first translated book is actually the third in the series there are references to his past which I hope will be explained in the recently translated first and second books in the series.
David Peters
Like all police inspectors in the modern mystery novel, Hakan Nesser’s DCI Van Veeteren is an older, divorced, slightly depressed, plodding thinker. Slowly putting information together our intrepid DCI investigates a serial axe murderer in a sleepy coastal town in Northern Europe. Called in after the second death he works with the local police force ill equipped to handle a murder investigation.

Nothing seems to go right as he, the soon to be retired chief of police, and the two young local detec
Katherine
"I didn't think for a moment it had, thought Van Vetereen when he emerged into the street. But a shit needs to be reminded that he's a shit now and then" (82).
"...The expressway was endless. Endless and endlessly gray...sitting in the car and feeling sick and driving far too fast through this unbearably gray pointlessness" (110-111).
"...the garden of speculation was in full bloom" (130).
"Any day you fail to carve out even a short time to spend doing waht you really want to do is a wasted day" (1
Steve Dennie
“Borkman’s Point,” by Hakan Nesser, was written in 1993 but not published in English until 2006. It’s part of a series starring Chief Inspector Van Veeteren, whose popularity in Sweden rivals fellow fictional sleuths Kurt Wallander and Martin Beck. So far, five Van Veeteren books have appeared in English, the latest in 2010 (though it was originally written in 1997), and a sixth (written in 1998) is due later this year.

In this book, Van Veeteren is sent to a small town to help catch a serial mur
Trish Lata Gooljarsingh
Well, now that I have discovered Larsson I am jumping into the deep end with regards to the Scandinavian writers. I stumbled across this website with the most famous Scandinavian writes and names like Henning Mankell, Hakan Nesser, Jo Nesbo came rising to the surface.These are excellent books for some down time.

In this book by Nesser, an axe murder has just claimed his second victim and Van Veeteren is called in to investigate. I don't find the book enormously suspenseful but that could be becau
Anna
This is the third book in Van Veeteren series, but the first one that's available in English, so it's kind of the debut for Van Veeteren.
Van Veeteren is called for help to investigate two brutal ax murders in a sleepy coastal town of Kaalbringen, and there are more twists when there's a third body, and a colleague of his disappears.

I expected to like the series like the usual modern Swedish crime out there - Mankell or anything he's been an inspiration for, Larsson, Ericksson etc.
But this didn
Susana
  • Glass Devil (Inspector Huss #4)
  • He Who Fears the Wolf (Inspector Konrad Sejer, #3)
  • Voices (Inspector Erlendur #5)
  • The Man Who Went Up in Smoke (Martin Beck #2)
  • The Cruel Stars of the Night (Ann Lindell, #6)
  • Unspoken (Anders Knutas, #2)
  • The Shadow Woman (Inspector Winter #2)
  • Firewall (Wallander, #8)
  • The Fourth Man
Håkan Nesser is a Swedish author and teacher who has written a number of successful crime fiction novels. He has won Best Swedish Crime Novel Award three times, and his novel Carambole won the Glass Key award in 2000. His books have been translated from Swedish into numerous languages.

Håkan Nesser was born and grew up in Kumla, and has lived most of his adult life in Uppsala. His first novel was p
More about Håkan Nesser...

Inspector Van Veeteren (10 books)
  • Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1)
  • The Return (Inspector Van Veeteren #3)
  • Woman with Birthmark (Inspector Van Veeteren #4)
  • The Inspector and Silence (Inspector Van Veeteren #5)
  • Münsters Fall (Inspector Van Veeteren #6)
  • Der unglückliche Mörder. (Inspector Van Veeteren #7)
  • Der Tote vom Strand. (Inspector Van Veeteren #8)
  • Die Schwalbe, die Katze, die Rose und der Tod (Inspector Van Veeteren #9)
  • Sein letzter Fall. (Inspector Van Veeteren #10)
Mind's Eye (Inspector Van Veeteren #1) The Return (Inspector Van Veeteren #3) Woman with Birthmark (Inspector Van Veeteren #4) The Inspector and Silence (Inspector Van Veeteren #5) Münsters Fall (Inspector Van Veeteren #6)