Start by marking “The Night Inside” as Want to Read:
The Night Inside

The Night Inside (Creed #1)

3.74  ·  Rating Details  ·  424 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Original title: The Night Inside

Grad student Ardeth Alexander is abducted off the street and forced to feed a hungry vampire nightly. Dimitri Rozokov, a Russian aristocrat--and vampire, has just awoken from almost 100 years asleep and finds himself held captive for an unkown nefarious purpose.

They must work together if they are to escape and find who has done this to them.
Published January 3rd 1994 by Fawcett (first published January 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about The Night Inside, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Night Inside

American Gods by Neil GaimanNeverwhere by Neil GaimanThe Graveyard Book by Neil GaimanSunshine by Robin McKinleyWar for the Oaks by Emma Bull
Best Urban Fantasy STAND-ALONE Novels
35th out of 63 books — 121 voters
The Hunger Games by Suzanne CollinsThe Fault in Our Stars by John GreenDivergent by Veronica RothThe Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyThe Help by Kathryn Stockett
Your Top 5 Reads in 2012
221st out of 661 books — 850 voters

More lists with this book...

Willow
Sep 16, 2012 Willow rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, vampire
I absolutely loved this book, and of course while I’m reading it, I kept wondering why it wasn’t it more popular when it was written back in 1991. So I went to Amazon and checked out some other reviews and read comments.

I found this:
This book won't be staying in my house, and nor will I be reading anything else by Nancy Baker. I like vampire romances, but this certainly doesn't qualify.

I was like, okay, so people want fluffy romance vampire books. I’m not a big fan of defanged vampires, but to
Bark's Book Nonsense
Oct 13, 2010 Bark's Book Nonsense rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
This is a haunting, well written book that no vampire fan should miss. Ardeth Alexander is an average graduate student living an average, structured, somewhat boring life. One morning while exercising she is abducted, blindfolded and finds herself thrown into a cell in a former sanitarium. As if this isn't enough of a shock she realizes the cell next to her is also occupied, and the inhabitant isn't human. Ardeth soon discovers she is there to *feed* the vampire until her usefulness runs out. Ar ...more
Trisha
Oct 23, 2007 Trisha rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone! especially vampire lovers
Could very well be my favorite vampire book ever and that is saying a lot because I am a vampire connoisseur.
This book really should be more well known than it is.
(It's also been published as "Kiss of the Vampire"

From Publishers Weekly
"While taking an early-morning walk through the streets of contemporary Toronto, graduate student Ardeth Alexander is abducted by two men and taken to an isolated building, where she discovers to her horror that she has been brought to supply blood to an imprison
Mell
Finally- a vampire novel that isn't a cheesy alpha-male romance or a pulpy vampire hunter/vampire renegade tale. This was written in the early 90s and predates the flood of bad vampire romance trends.

Nancy Baker does not romanticize vampires and the life they lead. This book portrays the bloodlust and how it defines them. The story is pretty unique, and addresses both the ancient and the modern problems of blood as a life sustaining substance. The story bogged down a bit near the end, and I won
A
Jan 13, 2014 A rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
Hm...how shall I go about this review? Let me start by saying I am not a romance reader, and I'm not entirely sure how this book got on my shelf. That being said, the word "Vampire" kept taunting me; so I went ahead and looked at some of the reviews before putting this on bookmooch. They all said it was darker than what the title suggests, so *shrugs* why the heck not?

Am I happy I finally decided to read this? Well, I'm not unhappy.

It started pretty good. I am not totally against cliché; so the
Marina Dubois
Mar 13, 2013 Marina Dubois rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this book many years ago, and recently I found my self wanting to reread it. I know that it had many bad reviews when it was published, but I don't think that such books were in fashion back then. It was not the best I have read, but still very good. Though I must say that the description "erotic thriller" is not accurate, since the plot is not very erotic. Normally I read vampire books with more action and more gore, which I enjoy very much, but this is one of the few love based thriller ...more
Very good as a read alike to Sunshine by Robin McKinley. Woman gets captured by baddies and kept as prisoner to feed a vampire, deciding she must side with the vampire to defeat the baddies. Very similar beginnings, very similar feel to the books, but very different books. Ardeth goes through a journey of self discovery, it had a very similar feel to many YA books about discovering who you are against the backdrop of a sister with a stronger personality.

I would have liked more of the romance, bu
Jackie "the Librarian"
Aug 21, 2007 Jackie "the Librarian" rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Vampire fans, non-gory
A graduate student, Ardeth Alexander, gets kidnapped by snuff film makers. They have also captured a vampire, which they use in their films, and she is to be his dinner. Imprisoned in adjoining cells, Ardeth gets to know the vampire, Dimitri, and realizes that he is a civilized man forced into servitude, not a monster. To escape from the truly monstrous, her human captors, Ardeth's one chance at freedom is to have Dimitri turn her into a vampire.
The book explores Ardeth's changing perceptions, a
LadyMoonlight
May 04, 2015 LadyMoonlight rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bei "Die Nacht in mir" handelt es sich um einen Sammelband, der soweit ich weiß die komplette "Creed" Serie enthält. Mir ist zumindest nicht bekannt, dass noch ein dritter Teil geplant ist. In "Discovering Japan" wurden aber wohl noch einige Kurzgeschichten veröffentlicht. Beide Bücher sind schon über 20 Jahre alt. Band 1 (Blutgesang) wurde zum ersten Mal 1993 veröffentlicht und sein Nachfolger etwa ein Jahr später.

Bei "Blutgesang" handelt es sich um einen spannenden Vampir-Thriller, der sprachl
Chris
Baker is one of the few authors I have seen that actually examines the change that being a vampire would cause in a person. This is a wonderful book. Ardeth is wonderfully drawn character, and Baker makes the transition real. Ardeth changes after she dies. No, she doesn't just get powers, but the death does something to her. Baker does examine this issue, and that look makes the book stand out.
Carly
Was totally not expecting to like this but I so did! (The original title The Night Inside is far more appropriate title for this book. Kiss of the Vampire is quite misleading, especially for people looking for a vampire romance.)
Sara
Sep 27, 2011 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If I could write a vampire book, that is have the talent and the will to commit into writing a near 300 page book of fiction, it would wish to be this book.

As it turns out it is horror the way vampire books are supposed to be with a self-awareness and self-exploration that is tragic, intimidating and uncomfortable at the same time.

(view spoiler)
Corinne
Jul 10, 2013 Corinne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, storage
"The Night Inside" is the Canadian title. "Kiss of the Vampire" the American title.

What is the ultrasound they use on the vampires? All I can picture is the device they rub on a pregnant woman. I guess it must be some portable sound wave???

"Ardeth & Rozokov" I'm not fond of the names.

The vampires are monsters but the story shows us there are worse monsters out there.

My favorite part of the story was how Ardeth took control and didn't let the "monsters" kill her. It reminds me of the strength
Kazen
May 26, 2014 Kazen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A refreshing vampire novel in that there's no instalove, no teenagers. It was also neat to slip back into 1990s Toronto, though things never feel dated. I'm really interested to see where Baker takes it from here.
Miranda
Mar 21, 2009 Miranda rated it did not like it
Frankly, I found this book so tediously boring, I put it down 3/4 of the way through. The plot was interesting at first, and even in the middle of the novel, there were some page turning events -- but then the writing would become trite, the plot would screech to a halt, and I would yawn. Baker is not Anne Rice -- and maybe I am more of an Anne Rice type of vampire gal.

I just could not finish the. So, instead, I flipped through the pages, figured out what was going on, and read the ending. I d
Kit Blyth
Dec 31, 2012 Kit Blyth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! Took me long enough to get this book, after reading the sequel, I needed to get this one. I was not let down. I really got to understand how Ardeth became the vampire that she was in the second book and that there was a little more history on Dimitri. I couldn't believe the things that Ardeth was put through and same with Dimitri. There was a lot of emotions that ran strongly through this book and I really think people should pick up these books, even though they're out of print, it's not t ...more
Ross Armstrong
Ardeth Alexander is out jogging when she is kidnapped and imprisoned. She is horrified to find that she is to be fed to a vampire who has also been captured and is being used for nefarious purposes by his captors. They must team up to escape their captors.
This is an underappreciated book from the early 1990's that spawned one sequel, Blood and Chrysanthemums. Baker tries to get inside the mind of her characters to find out what being a vampire does and feels like to the individual.
Crickx
May 28, 2014 Crickx rated it really liked it
Excellent!
Michelle
This book was given to me at one of my first visits to a gothic meeting back in 1993, it was the book choice that they were reading that month... Now I run my own group, in my hometown with a bookclub as part of it, I still pass on the details of this book to new members... It is a well written and a great shame that there are only two books with these characters in...
Catherine
A pretty good vampire love story adventure although it did feel a little shallow. But I'm going to read the sequel so I must have bought into the characters. Hopefully the next one will take it up a notch.
actress
Sep 13, 2011 actress rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this vampire book in High School and most memorable to-date. I had to search my old town's catalog to find the name by year to find it. Best sex scene ever. I have never been a fan of Rice or Hamilton but this is a good novel written by a woman.
Pam
Feb 02, 2010 Pam rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
The Night Inside is that rare vampire book that's actually - gasp - well written. I was drawn in by the unusual plot device and impressed by Baker's manipulation of words into things of beauty. Would that more vampire novels were so well written...
Elke
Feb 18, 2009 Elke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kiss of the vampire is one of my favourite vampire stories. It brings suspense like a good crime story and also has its romantic moments, but not overly so. And, of course, the vampires are not really the bad guys ;)
A. Thurman
Feb 03, 2010 A. Thurman marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to A. by: LambdaSF/K
Library? looked up The night inside : a vampire thriller / Nancy Baker

A vampire awakes after 100 years in modern Toronto. Captures a woman.
And, the usual erotic mess ensues.
Dami (Damiellar)
I really found this a good angle for vampire fiction. Unfortunately although I was able to borrow the sequel from the library I'm still looking for my own copy.
Kammie
Jan 03, 2012 Kammie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Oh my goodness I read this book along time ago maybe a little while after it came out. I really liked it. Good vampire book no baby shit like twilight.
Kristen Pfaff
Jan 15, 2010 Kristen Pfaff rated it it was ok
This one starts our great but seemed to be divided into what is almost two separate stories. About halfway through I began to lose interest.
Sally Bisbee
This one is hard to describe. It mixes vampire lore with modern technology and things like AIDS. It's a very interesting read.
Tasula
Dec 04, 2010 Tasula rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Ardeth Alexander meets vamp Rozokov-both prisoners-she lets him feed on her
Trisha
Jun 18, 2007 Trisha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: vampire lovers
My copy is called "The Night Inside", but it's the same book.
  • Blood Alone (Austra Family, #2)
  • The World on Blood
  • Burying the Shadow
  • Dark Dance (Blood Opera Sequence, #1)
  • Of Saints and Shadows (Shadow Saga #1)
  • The Time of Feasting
  • The Vampire Tapestry
  • Verland: The Transformation
  • Dracula Unbound
  • Sunglasses After Dark (Sonja Blue, #1)
  • Lord Of The Dead
  • The Hunger (Hunger, #1)
  • The Vampire Sextette
  • Afterage
  • Vampire Junction
  • The Penguin Book of Vampire Stories
  • Those Who Hunt the Night (James Asher, #1)
  • Dark Shadows: Angélique's Descent
Nancy Baker blames her life-long love of horror and fantasy fiction on the first horror story she can remember: The Tale of Squirrel Nutkin by Beatrix Potter. She dabbled in rock and roll (writing lyrics and singing in basement bands during her university years) before switching to writing fiction. She made her first professional sale in 1988, to Rod Serling’s Twilight Zone magazine and has subseq ...more
More about Nancy Baker...

Creed (2 books)
  • Blood And Chrysanthemums (Creed, #2)

“She heard irony in his tone and the bitter pain gliding, sharklike, beneath it.” 3 likes