Start by marking “Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock” as Want to Read:
Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

3.86  ·  Rating Details  ·  65 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
Narrated by the Holy Ghost, this most unusual novel tells the story of Charles and Lianne Morrison. He's a millionaire lawyer, possibly, a future governor. She's the beautiful ex-TV newscaster and former Miss Little Rock. "What begins as a soap opera and a whodunit becomes an engrossing examination of the human soul in turmoil."--Dallas Morning News.
Published July 1st 1994 by Penguin Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock

Stacey Jones
Mar 05, 2015 Stacey Jones rated it it was amazing
Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock is a brilliant, all-encompassing, all-engaging novel that I can't believe I've never heard of before, since I live near Little Rock. From the first few pages, all I wanted to do was read this book!

This imaginative, post-modern novel impressed me on several levels.

First, I was in love with how gossipy and detailed it is about Little Rock in the 1980s. I did not live here then, and yet I still recognize a lot of the people's names, the stores, etc. I lo
Brannon
Jan 01, 2012 Brannon rated it it was amazing
(This review first ran on Pretty Fakes way back when.)

A few days ago I finished the first of my summer reading books, Jack Butler’s 1993 novel Living in Little Rock with Miss Little Rock. I’ve started this book probably half a dozen times over the last five or six years, only to put it aside when more pressing concerns arose; at 655 pages, you can see where I might have felt a little daunted. But I kept coming back to it because I wanted to see if it delivered on the promise of its opening line:
Seana
May 26, 2016 Seana rated it it was amazing
I don't know what got me on to this book originally. It was a long time ago. I couldn't even recount the plot for you. But I remember sitting out in my friends' backyard, where I happened to be housesitting, and just soaking this one up. Probably means it would be a good summer read for you if you like ambitious, smart, one of a kind novels.
Lani
Feb 28, 2013 Lani added it
I don't do well with writing gimmicks. Dialect, too many narrators, winking omnipotent Holy Ghosts breaking the fourth wall, clever formatting, etc. I think this book was written to annoy me.

Every time I'd start getting into the story, or enjoying some character development, I'd hit a chapter full of gimmick. I gave up about 80 pages in when I realized I couldn't take another 600 pages of that.

It's a shame, when the story was rolling I liked the characters and the not-quite-over-the-edge-yet cr
Ben Lee
Jun 13, 2008 Ben Lee rated it really liked it
I read Barry Hannah's Yonder Stands Your Orphan just before I read this, and it quickly became apparent to me that this novel was basically Hannah's muse for YSYO, which is kind of awesome. Both novels start out with a somewhat straightforward narrative--this one as a legal drama, YSYO as crime fiction--but they quickly evolve into total insanity. Living in Little Rock reminds me of a Paul Thomas Anderson movie; at times it gets a little punch-drunk on the power of its craft and can feel a littl ...more
Henry
Apr 14, 2008 Henry rated it it was amazing
As a sheer exercise in prose, this tastefully decadent portrait of rather privileged life in the American south is not only pleasant to read, but deeply engaging. Between the characters arguing, sexing, and generally enjoying their lives, they have real problems, and deep flaws. In other words, they are real characters, and populate a real world, only occasionally more exciting and beautiful than our own.
Dennis
Mar 17, 2008 Dennis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who's ready for the tragic comedy of politics and hangers-on
This book was a huge shock because I in no way expected it to touch me in the way it did. I was expecting a throwaway political comedy with a lot of insider jokes about Arkansas politics and got a moving tragicomedy instead. I can't recommend this enough.
A
May 17, 2009 A rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this up while waiting for Jujitsu for Christ to come into the library. Butler blends metafiction, humor, detective fiction, and politics into an enjoyable, whirlwind adventure.
Mark
Nov 04, 2012 Mark rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished
This book got the better of me on my first attempted read. Probably me and not the book. Maybe I will try again some day.
Russell Wodell
How can you not like a book that begins:
"Howdy. I'm the Holy Ghost. Talk about your omniscient narrators."
Alec Clayton
Jul 13, 2012 Alec Clayton rated it really liked it
Dense, complex, and fascinating, with a fabulous first-person narrator -- none other than the Holy Ghost.
Adam
Aug 21, 2013 Adam rated it really liked it
Connoisseurs of the distinctly Southern sentence outta check this thing out.
Jas
Oct 20, 2013 Jas rated it really liked it
Terrific in more than one sense of the word
Denise DeRocher
Apr 16, 2012 Denise DeRocher rated it liked it
Shelves: general-fiction
Overall delightful!! Recommend for a good time!
Rebecca Simpson
Rebecca Simpson rated it really liked it
May 25, 2016
Damon
Damon marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Ian
Ian rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2016
Shaun
Shaun added it
May 12, 2016
Kylee
Kylee marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2016
Holly
Holly marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2016
Bren Gamboa
Bren Gamboa marked it as to-read
Apr 22, 2016
Ashok Unny
Ashok Unny marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2016
Dustin Chabert
Dustin Chabert marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2015
Tyler
Tyler marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
Shawn Faust
Shawn Faust marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2015
Melissa Smith
Melissa Smith rated it it was ok
May 18, 2016
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Jane Hufstedler
Jane Hufstedler rated it liked it
Jan 29, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
From encyclopediaofarkansas.net:

Jack Armand Butler Jr. is a poet and novelist known for structurally experimental writing, usually dealing with the development of a religious self-awareness transcending orthodox views. His work is often sexually charged and humorous.

Jack Butler was born May 8, 1944, in Alligator, Mississippi, to Jack Butler, a Baptist preacher, and Dorothy Butler, a homemaker. He
More about Jack Butler...

“I have more faith in my God than to believe He would give me a mind and then ask me not to use it.” 4 likes
“Life kept you busy fighting off troubles, and you looked up, and the best parts of your life were gone.” 2 likes