Start by marking “An Unexpected Widow (The Colorado Brides #1)” as Want to Read:
An Unexpected Widow (The Colorado Brides #1)

An Unexpected Widow (The Colorado Brides #1)

3.69  ·  Rating Details ·  2,077 Ratings  ·  113 Reviews
Hannah Hoffman Clark is the spirited young wife of Denver City’s only preacher, Frank Clark. After arriving by wagon to the howling wilderness of the unexplored west, they settled on land, built a home, and began what they thought would be a long and prosperous life together. After an accident leaves Frank without feeling in his legs, the dream of self-sufficiency suddenly ...more
Published (first published June 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about An Unexpected Widow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about An Unexpected Widow

Dianne
Oct 13, 2013 Dianne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a sweet short novel. I can't understand why some reviewers complain about the intimacy scenes - there are none! Sure the readers are aware the H/H are/have been intimate but there is no description at all! If you are looking for an in between book, or something you don't have to think too hard about then this book is perfect.
Jenn
Sep 04, 2013 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ugh, thank goodness this was free. I don't even have words. The dialogue was stunted and amateurish and didn't convey to me any realism. I also had issues with some of the historical inaccuracies. I am not a nitpick when I read stories, but it should hold some sort of realism and historical accuracy. Some examples...Nathan actually said, "hell to the no." This 1859 people. Hannah got a dog that was a Labrador....umm pretty sure they weren't called Labradors in 1859, since they weren't an ...more
Erika
Mar 30, 2015 Erika rated it did not like it
Well, it took half the book for the main character to become an "unexpected" widow. I wasn't a fan of the borderline adultery or the writing. And no one in the 1800's said "Hell to the no." I wasn't impressed.
May 30, 2016 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: did-not-finish
I was expecting a sweet Christian book and instead, this book had some language that was far to modern for a historical book and some scenes that were just things I didn't want to read about. I just couldn't finish it for both the stated reasons
Cheri
Sep 03, 2013 Cheri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
This was a nice, quick read. I feel the author did a good job in portraying the tension of the hero and heroine loving each other but believing they shouldn't act on their feelings. I was afraid that the heroine would end up coming across as not caring once her husband was injured due to her feelings for the hero, but she didn't. The author did a great job showing the heroine's guilty, sorrow and confusion without having her come off as a whining brat.

I am interested to see if the character of t
Me_LissaH
Nov 14, 2015 Me_LissaH rated it did not like it
Shelves: 1-star
This story just didn't do it for me.
Anna Marie
Jan 02, 2014 Anna Marie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Have you ever watched the Debbie Reynolds movie, "The Unsinkable Molly Brown"? It's about this absolutely horrible woman who is so self-absorbed and obnoxious, and this guy who just doesn't quite measure up to her standards but loves her (Gawd only KNOWS why)... and how he bends over backwards for her just to get kicked in the teeth over and over and OVER again? To the point where you just pray some sane person will dump her ass off the side of the lifeboat so she'll go down with the Titantic? I ...more
Dorcas
Jul 11, 2013 Dorcas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: western, romance, kindle
What I LOVED about this book:

the author sucked me into the characters from the very first page. Each and every one is well rounded and unique. I loved the playful banter between the man and wife, this kind of writing 'shows rather than tells' us their personalities so right from the start it felt like I knew them. She loves her husband and the reader does too which is why 'what happens' is so traumatic.
I won't be spoiling it (cos you know from the title what happens) but the emotion portrayed is
Dianne Sidebottom
enjoyed the story. Hannah is married to Frank and they leave New York and come to Denver City area and they farm. Frank the pastor is injured when helping fix roof a parishioners bunkhouse he then dies from pneumonia. one of the workers on the farm has a strange affect on Hannah and he tries to watch out for her, even asking her to marry him. With her families thinking still occupying her mind she believes he is not for her. when she asks him again to hold her while she sleeps he says no and ...more
Catherine
Apr 12, 2014 Catherine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I got this book as a free Kindle Download. It's also pretty short, which was good considering it was pretty terrible. My first issue was that it was in first person. I didn't much like being in Hannah's head as she was pretty naive, spoiled, and later on annoying. I'm also used to reading historical romances in third person so it was a bit jarring.

I didn't much like any of the characters. Frank was pretty one dimensional; he was a good preacher who was trying his hand at farming and then he died
Lisa C.
Aug 30, 2014 Lisa C. rated it did not like it
This book was bad in so many ways. I went back and read some of the reviews after reading it and was not surprised to see so many low reviews.

Beginning with the characters, we barely knew anything about them, other than Hannah grew up privileged and thought she was better than just about everyone else. I could barely stand her the more I read about her. She started out being shy and almost naive sounding and the next thing you know she's lusting after a drunk. When did that happen!?

Her husband,
Christy
Oct 28, 2015 Christy rated it really liked it
I have had this book on my device for sometime; like many other readers, I too found it under Christian fiction/romance and its synopsis intrigued me - so I downloaded it. Now that I have read it, I do not think I would exactly call it Christian fiction, but I would not place it under explicit genres either. I say this because they are references to Faith, God, the Bible, and scriptures from the Bible..... there are also sexual references, some rather strong, so I wouldn't recommend for a ...more
Thom Swennes
Mar 20, 2015 Thom Swennes rated it liked it
Shelves: free-e-book
Hannah Clark was attracted to Nathan Weaver almost from the first moment she saw him. This natural attraction wouldn’t have been a problem if she wasn’t married to Frank Clark. This is where personalities begin to clash, giving the story a little extra color. Frank gives me the creeps. This isn’t because he is a pastor but because of his incessant use of the phrase “my dear”. Images of Dickens’ Uriah Heep, dry washing his hands fill my mind; and it’s not a pretty picture. When I thought there ...more
Jo-Anne
Jun 06, 2014 Jo-Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This historical romance takes place in the 1800s with Hannah and her husband, Frank, who is a preacher, moving to Colorado Territory to farm. They build a house and Frank hires two man to help build other buildings and plant the fields. Frank falls off a roof while helping neighbor and is paralyzed. He then get pneumonia and dies leaving Hannah a widow at 19. She tries to cope with her grief and keep the farm going but relies on one of the hands, Nathan, to take care of the farm. Hannah and ...more
Cayla
Aug 12, 2016 Cayla rated it it was amazing
If I recall right, I think I read this book back in 2014, and I just finished re-reading it now. My feelings about the book are just as positive now as it was the first time around. Hannah is fiery woman--very passionate about her life and her dreams for the future. Her husband, Frank, has spoiled her terribly, out of life and I think, out of a sense of duty to maintain as much of her Eastern lifestyle as he can afford.

Nathan Weaver is a man who has just as much fire as Hannah. But in Hannah's e
Honeypie
Jul 12, 2014 Honeypie rated it liked it
Shelves: 2014
Maybe CW got a little carried away with the romance that she tended to forget that she is writing a story set in the 1850s, that the book is not contemporary.

Horse manure. Because the word "shit" hasn't been used until later on. That was funny, despite being forced. I'm not an expert on history, so I won't critic much about it, but I admire the author's endeavor to write a historical romance. This is only her first in the series. Who knows, the next ones might be better?:)

The plot, although not
Shelley
Dec 18, 2015 Shelley rated it liked it
This was a cute little story, and I think it was a good one. There were a few times when the author should not have used certain language because it took me out of the story, and totally broke character. An Unexpected Widow is set in frontier times, pre-Civil War. *No one* is going to be saying "Hell to the no." It seriously should be edited out.

I do wish the story was a little longer though, with a couple more scenes from Hannah and Nathan. They were an earnest couple, and I wished I could've s
Charissa
Dec 08, 2013 Charissa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
This story takes place during the gold rush days. Hannah, the young wife of Denver’s only preacher, Frank Clark, arrives in the wild west to settle and build a new home. But when an accident leaves Frank paralyzed, she must learn to do a lot on her own. As the title says, Hannah eventually finds herself widowed at the young age of 19. As she tries to cope with her grief, she finds herself drawn to her husband’s hired hand, Nathan. But he’s no good in her mind—having once been a gambler and ...more
Sue
Aug 02, 2015 Sue rated it really liked it
Book One: The old West is a hard and unforgiving place - but filled with adventure and romance for those willing to give it their all. This story follows Hannah who has come from New York with her husband to settle in Denver City and start their farm while he takes up as the preacher in town. They are happy and in love and all goes well...until the unthinkable happens and she is left alone with two farmhands and a woman helper for the house. Her friends encourage her to remarry, quickly, in ...more
Linda
Feb 18, 2016 Linda rated it liked it
I downloaded this book for free having found it when I searched for "Christian fiction." I read Christian fiction specifically for the chance to read clean stories (no sex, profanity, etc.), so was disappointed when I found profanity in the book. Because of that I won't be reading more books by this author. The story was a light romance, but because of the short length the author didn't seem to have enough room to fully develop the characters. There are references to "relations" between the ...more
Tammy
Mar 01, 2014 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another Free Amazon book, I was worried when I started with 1859. I am not huge on period books. But this one drew me in quickly and I enjoyed it.
Hannah and her husband Frank a preacher have arrived in the Colorado Territory from the East. They have built a house and Frank wants to farm the land. He hires 2 men to help build barn, smokehouse, bunkhouse and plant the fields. Hannah faces many challenges including losing her husband less than one year into their marriage. She has no family here an
Jane
Hannah Hoffman Clark becomes An Unexpected Widow when her husband Frank died of pneumonia. Nathan Weaver has worked on the Clark farm for a few months and he steps forward to support Hannah through her grief.

Nathan is a miner and farmer and below the station in life her parents would expect her to marry so she has to come to grips with her grief and loss plus her new feelings for Nathan.

An Unexpected Widow is a great historical romance that shows how the social structure of society in early Colo
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Pastor Frank Clark and his wife want to share the Lord and build a farm. Unexpected, Frank suffers an accident and Hannah must live on her husband's farm without her husband.

Hannah's tale is written in first person. It's Hannah's outlook on the events in her life. The story leans toward Faith Fiction, but it doesn't seem to follow through on a few points. It's more of a novella length than novel length, so it's a quick read.

Time Period: Western, 1800's
Location: Kansas Territory / Colorado , USA
Courtney Wallace
Sep 22, 2015 Courtney Wallace rated it did not like it
This book was a big disappointment. With well-written books, you can imagine the scenarios and they seem realistic. This book was not realistic at all. I doubt that phrases such as "hell to the no" were used in 1859. Also, Hannah was raised to be classy, yet she lusted after another man while being happily married at the same time. Back in the 1800's, I doubt that women asked men (who they were not married to) to sleep in bed with them for comfort. This book was pretty much about lust. It was ...more
Hannah
Oct 17, 2013 Hannah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle
Ok story, wasn't super convinced on the writing style. I felt like it would've been better told in the 3rd person - I don't normally think these things, so something must have struck me as odd in the way it was being told. I just couldn't find the sincerity of the character, I couldn't believe all of it.

That said, once I got past that, I enjoyed the story for what it was, a quick, light read. Predictable, but I knew it would be before I even started reading, so I enjoyed it enough. :)
LadyCalico
The book started out okay then proved to be disappointing. From the title, one could assume something awful was going to happen to poor Frank, it was just a question of where and when, so up to that point the book was pretty good. However, after that, when much of the remaining story was about Hannah treating Nathan like dirt and ruminating about why she was too good for him, the story just grew progressively more lame until it could hardly stagger along.
Janet Swearingen
Jan 25, 2015 Janet Swearingen rated it really liked it
How fast life can change.

When things are going well, it's hard to think and prepare for the times when they might be much harder. Grief is experienced in many different ways. The heroine in our story also had many preconceived ideas about her life and how it should be after her tragedy struck and had to sort through those feelings too. I thought it was a good read for most anyone and gives hope for a future after sadness.
Ana
Oct 08, 2015 Ana rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. Don't listen to the bad reviews. It's amazing how petty some people are, and it shows by their meaningless, trite complaints. Now back to the book. Great plot and cast of characters with real dialogue--the kind mirroring how people really talk. The setting is wonderful with excellent historical detail. Ms. White is a talented writer, and I look forward to reading more of her work.
Sandra Jackson
Jun 03, 2015 Sandra Jackson rated it it was amazing
An entertaining book that brings both tears and a few chuckles.

I am so glad to have Christian writers that keep us entertained with their work. I look forward to reading this whole series. And I'm thankful that most of the books are affordable. Praise to God for giving some of His children the gift to write these good moral stories.
Jacqueline Mayfield
Feb 08, 2016 Jacqueline Mayfield rated it did not like it
I have read many Historical Fiction books with "Christian values" and this is not one of them. It felt more modern day than Historical. The characters were not that developed. I am pretty sure no one said, "Hell to the no" back then. I did not like the intimate scenes. Hannah seemed like she whined all the time. It just wasn't my cup of tea. I have read better.
Clean Fiction: discussion of July 2015's Main Book of the Month 2 1 Sep 09, 2014 11:55AM
  • The Lawman Claims His Bride (Charity House, #4)
  • Jonah's Woman
  • The Christmas Mail Order Bride (Holiday Mail Order Brides, #1)
  • The Heart of Thornton Creek (Queensland Chronicles #1)
  • Love by the Letter (Unexpected Brides, #0.5)
  • Cry of the West: Hallie (Finding Home Series)
  • Marblestone Mansion  (Scandalous Duchess, #1)
  • Courted by a Cowboy (Wyoming Legacy)
  • Mail Order Millie (Homespun, #1)
  • Daughter of Twin Oaks (A Secret Refuge Book #1)
  • Waiting for Summer's Return (Heart of the Prairie #1)
  • Paradise Falls
  • The Officer and the Bostoner (Fort Gibson Officers, #1)
  • Aces Wild (Angels Avengers #1)
  • Journey of Honor
  • Mail Order Regrets
  • The Lawman (Willow Creek #1)
  • Romancing Rosalie: A Cascade Creek Christmas (The Ladies of Cascade Creek, #1.5)
Just copy and paste the following link into your web browser:

Carré White is a USA Today bestselling author of contemporary and historical romance. Her Colorado Brides Series has been a historical and western top 100 bestseller. The romance anthology, Western Kisses - Old West Christmas Romances, is an Amazon top 100 bestseller.

Carré lives in Co
More about Carré White...

The Colorado Brides (7 books)
  • An Unexpected Bride (The Colorado Brides #2)
  • An Unexpected Annulment (The Colorado Brides #3)
  • An Unexpected Mother (The Colorado Brides #4)
  • An Unexpected Love (The Colorado Brides #5)
  • An Unexpected Husband (The Colorado Brides #6)
  • An Unexpected Kiss (The Colorado Brides #7)