Start by marking “The Architecture of Vision: Writings and Interviews on Cinema” as Want to Read:
The Architecture of Vision: Writings and Interviews on Cinema

The Architecture of Vision: Writings and Interviews on Cinema

“A filmmaker is a man like any other; and yet his life is not the same. . . . This is, I think, a special way of being in contact with reality.” Or so says Michelangelo Antonioni, the legendary filmmaker behind the stark landscapes and social alienation of Blow-Up and L’Avventura, who here reveals his idiosyncratic relationship with reality in The Architecture of Vision.

Th
Published October 1st 2007 by University Of Chicago Press

To ask other readers questions about The Architecture of Vision, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Architecture of Vision

Grant
Mar 10, 2014 Grant rated it really liked it
I skipped about ten pages on Story of a Love Affair, a six-page Vanquished magazine writing, and twenty-five pages on The Passenger (as I haven't revisited it recently and won't at any point soon); for all current intents, I'm done.

This book unites Antonioni's defenses/essays of his films with interviews from the 1950s-80s to certain success if some of the content is ultimately redundant. There are numerous editorial oversights, but I think those flaws are eclipsed by intriguing philosophizing a

James F
Feb 04, 2015 James F rated it liked it
Shelves: cinema
A volume in a series of works by Antonioni, one of my favorite directors, this consists of articles written by him for various film journals, and interviews with him, both on cinema in general and on his own films. While artists, including directors, are not always articulate about their own works, Antonioni is an exception; although somewhat repetitive, these selections are interesting and shed light on what he was attempting in his films.

Unfortunately, this is very poorly proofread book, almo
Catherine
Apr 27, 2015 Catherine rated it it was amazing
I've always considered Antonioni as quite a cerebral filmmaker, so I was prepared for very irritated and incomprehensible interviews. However, he comes across as very sincere, committed to the art of filmmaking, and more important, to the art of telling a story. He genuinely loved his craft, loved finding new ways to manipulate color and shot, and felt very deeply about the modern and post-modern settings in which he found himself. I don't think you have to see any of his films to enjoy the book ...more
Tiah Keever
Apr 27, 2009 Tiah Keever rated it liked it
I've only read some of it so far, assignments for a class, but I like reading interviews with directors/actors/musicians,etc that I am fond of. Antonioni is cagey and amusing, and a brilliant director so it is nice to read what he has said about his work and whatnot over the years.
William West
Some beautifully written passages. Antonioni addicts such as myself should pick it up.
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 25, 2016
Samantha Crawford
Samantha Crawford marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2016
Ammar Ahmed
Ammar Ahmed marked it as to-read
Sep 06, 2016
Renata Drummond
Renata Drummond marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2016
Giorgio
Giorgio marked it as to-read
Aug 15, 2016
Malik
Malik marked it as to-read
Aug 02, 2016
مشعل زيد
مشعل زيد marked it as to-read
Jul 26, 2016
Bachi
Bachi marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2016
Bolbit
Bolbit rated it really liked it
Jun 17, 2016
Rob C
Rob C marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Louise Guay
Louise Guay marked it as to-read
Jun 03, 2016
Maelle
Maelle marked it as to-read
May 19, 2016
Sadra
Sadra marked it as to-read
May 04, 2016
Joe
Joe added it
Apr 24, 2016
Russell
Russell marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Fernanda
Fernanda marked it as to-read
Mar 31, 2016
Brandon
Brandon marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Landen Celano
Landen Celano rated it it was amazing
Jul 19, 2016
Maria Magdalena
Maria Magdalena marked it as to-read
Mar 17, 2016
Mackenzie
Mackenzie marked it as to-read
Mar 04, 2016
Clint
Clint rated it liked it
Apr 26, 2016
Tommaso Perrone
Tommaso Perrone marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2016