Start by marking “The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance” as Want to Read:

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  197 ratings  ·  16 reviews
A Practical Guide to Using the Principles of Servant Leadership

Leadership is a calling. And servant leadership—the idea that managing with respect, honesty, love, and spirituality empowers employees—helps individuals answer that calling. Bestselling author and former Fortune 500 executive James A. Autry reveals the servant leader’s tools, a set of skills and ideals that wi
Published November 30th 2004 by Crown Business (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Servant Leader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Servant Leader

I want revisit this book already. I found it inspiring, easy to read, and full of relevant examples and suggestions. But don't expect a formulaic system that's easy to follow. The foundation of the entire thing rests on the concept of being centered yourself in order to successfully lead. It's really an outgrowth of all the positive ways being calm and balanced in your life can positively affect anyone around you, and I'd argue that you've got to be in the right mental space to read it.

You coul
Jeff Carter
This book is the BEST guidance I've ever seen for teaching anyone how to be a TRUE LEADER!!! It will show you how to be a person that knows how to follow first so you can then be a person that knows how to lead! Everything that I have come to believe about leadership in my lifetime is profoundly explained in this book. So, all together!!!
James Autry was a business leader who acted as a servant leader before he knew the term. Essentially he illustrates the daily tasks of leading and managing (vision, planning, motivating, holding accountable, dealing with conflict, etc) through a servant leader mode. The book's strength is its practically, but its weakness is that it does not clearly show how being a good business leader (read effective and efficient; meeting the bottom line) is differentiated from a good servant leader. He allud ...more
Ronin Ronin
I like the way it was laid out, building a foundation based on the necessary characteristics, then what their purpose is, finishing off with framework and answers to situations.
Like many of these types of book where spirituality is mixed with another endeavor, the beginning and high-level concepts were more impactful than a lot of the details in following chapters. The examples always felt fabricated and the quotes from friends and colleagues were much too "literary." But it was worth the read nonetheless to become aware of a philosophy of leadership which should be followed by many more companies in the world.
A well thought out guide to becoming a better leader. How one can work with the resources available to develop morale and build a functional team.
Jaime Contreras
This has been a mainstay of my personal library and a reference resource for me since it was published a decade ago. It has sound guidance and illustrations about honest ann ethical leadership principles. It lays out the truth that leadership is built on respect, honesty, integrity, love and humility. I recomend it to anyone seeking leadership or in leadership.
Niki Whiteside
I picked up for my dissertation but found the book to be very interesting. Based on current events in my professional life it seemed to mirror processes we are going through. I found suggestions and ideas that are very helpful professionally and gained a better understanding of the true application of servant leadership principles.
Londonmabel Mabel
Aug 06, 2010 Londonmabel Mabel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: interested in leadership
Recommended to Londonmabel by: Andrea L
I only read the two chapters recommended to me, plus some other bits here and there. But it's a great, simplified book on the real, most important basics of leadership. And a way to bring your real self to your job.
Trish Hobson
This book was required reading for the leadership team at work. I definitely wouldn't have read it otherwise. These type of books don't generally appeal to me. It was OK. That's the best I can do.
Corey Grant
More people should read this book. It teaches you how you should lead (treat your staff) more than any other book Ive read. Great book.
Something I had to read for work but something that helped me realize how great of a servant leader the prophet (saw) was.
I wish I had read this when I was working.
Much needed viewpoint in the business world.
Rob Lever
older but intuitive and engaging.
All leaders should read this
Justin Paul
Justin Paul marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2015
Alicia Grano
Alicia Grano marked it as to-read
Nov 24, 2015
David marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Dan marked it as to-read
Nov 14, 2015
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Nov 11, 2015
Lynn Weissinger
Lynn Weissinger marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2015
Valentino Marcel
Valentino Marcel marked it as to-read
Nov 08, 2015
Amanda is currently reading it
Nov 03, 2015
kat marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2015
Venkatesh marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
1801 Study
1801 Study marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2015
  • The World's Most Powerful Leadership Principle: How to Become a Servant Leader
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook
  • Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results
  • Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value
  • The Heart of a Leader
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • The Generosity Factor
  • If the Buddha Got Stuck: A Handbook for Change on a Spiritual Path
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Meditations
  • Total Engagement: How Games and Virtual Worlds Are Changing the Way People Work and Businesses Compete
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • Unstuck: A Tool for Yourself, Your Team, and Your World
  • Responsible Responsive Design
Poet, lecturer, and management consultant James A. Autry was born March 8, 1933, in Memphis, Tennessee, but he grew up in Benton County, Mississippi, and in 1955 received a B.A. degree in journalism from the University of Mississippi, where he was later named a Distinguished Alumnus and elected to the Alumni Hall of Fame. A former president of the Meredith Corporation’s Magazine Group, publisher o ...more
More about James A. Autry...