Start by marking “The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance” as Want to Read:

3.97 of 5 stars 3.97  ·  rating details  ·  140 ratings  ·  13 reviews
A Practical Guide to Using the Principles of Servant Leadership

Leadership is a calling. And servant leadership—the idea that managing with respect, honesty, love, and spirituality empowers employees—helps individuals answer that calling. Bestselling author and former Fortune 500 executive James A. Autry reveals the servant leader’s tools, a set of skills and ideals that wi
Published November 30th 2004 by Crown Business (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Servant Leader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Servant Leader

Heather
I want revisit this book already. I found it inspiring, easy to read, and full of relevant examples and suggestions. But don't expect a formulaic system that's easy to follow. The foundation of the entire thing rests on the concept of being centered yourself in order to successfully lead. It's really an outgrowth of all the positive ways being calm and balanced in your life can positively affect anyone around you, and I'd argue that you've got to be in the right mental space to read it.

You coul
Jeff Carter
This book is the BEST guidance I've ever seen for teaching anyone how to be a TRUE LEADER!!! It will show you how to be a person that knows how to follow first so you can then be a person that knows how to lead! Everything that I have come to believe about leadership in my lifetime is profoundly explained in this book. So, all together now.......read......follow.......LEAD!!!
Drick
James Autry was a business leader who acted as a servant leader before he knew the term. Essentially he illustrates the daily tasks of leading and managing (vision, planning, motivating, holding accountable, dealing with conflict, etc) through a servant leader mode. The book's strength is its practically, but its weakness is that it does not clearly show how being a good business leader (read effective and efficient; meeting the bottom line) is differentiated from a good servant leader. He allud ...more
Marc
Like many of these types of book where spirituality is mixed with another endeavor, the beginning and high-level concepts were more impactful than a lot of the details in following chapters. The examples always felt fabricated and the quotes from friends and colleagues were much too "literary." But it was worth the read nonetheless to become aware of a philosophy of leadership which should be followed by many more companies in the world.
Jaime Contreras
This has been a mainstay of my personal library and a reference resource for me since it was published a decade ago. It has sound guidance and illustrations about honest ann ethical leadership principles. It lays out the truth that leadership is built on respect, honesty, integrity, love and humility. I recomend it to anyone seeking leadership or in leadership.
Niki Whiteside
I picked up for my dissertation but found the book to be very interesting. Based on current events in my professional life it seemed to mirror processes we are going through. I found suggestions and ideas that are very helpful professionally and gained a better understanding of the true application of servant leadership principles.
Londonmabel Mabel
Aug 06, 2010 Londonmabel Mabel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: interested in leadership
Recommended to Londonmabel by: Andrea L
I only read the two chapters recommended to me, plus some other bits here and there. But it's a great, simplified book on the real, most important basics of leadership. And a way to bring your real self to your job.
Trish Hobson
This book was required reading for the leadership team at work. I definitely wouldn't have read it otherwise. These type of books don't generally appeal to me. It was OK. That's the best I can do.
Corey Grant
More people should read this book. It teaches you how you should lead (treat your staff) more than any other book Ive read. Great book.
Ruby
Something I had to read for work but something that helped me realize how great of a servant leader the prophet (saw) was.
Martha
I wish I had read this when I was working.
C.
Much needed viewpoint in the business world.
Cathy
All leaders should read this
Ibelegbu Ngozi
Ibelegbu Ngozi marked it as to-read
Dec 04, 2014
Andy Upah
Andy Upah marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Michael Pongrac
Michael Pongrac marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2014
Ashlee
Ashlee marked it as to-read
Nov 21, 2014
Monirah
Monirah marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Meeshell Campbell
Meeshell Campbell marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Gianni Maratea
Gianni Maratea marked it as to-read
Jaime Kornsweig
Jaime Kornsweig is currently reading it
Assem
Assem marked it as to-read
Konnor
Konnor added it
Nov 04, 2014
Erik Van Alstine
Erik Van Alstine marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
  • The World's Most Powerful Leadership Principle: How to Become a Servant Leader
  • The Heart of a Leader
  • Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results
  • Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • A Leader's Legacy
  • The Generosity Factor
  • If the Buddha Got Stuck: A Handbook for Change on a Spiritual Path
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Own the Room: Discover Your Signature Voice to Master Your Leadership Presence
  • Content Strategy for Mobile
  • Total Engagement: How Games and Virtual Worlds Are Changing the Way People Work and Businesses Compete
  • Appreciative Inquiry: A Positive Revolution in Change
  • Leadership on the Line: Staying Alive Through the Dangers of Leading
  • The Healthy Programmer
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
Poet, lecturer, and management consultant James A. Autry was born March 8, 1933, in Memphis, Tennessee, but he grew up in Benton County, Mississippi, and in 1955 received a B.A. degree in journalism from the University of Mississippi, where he was later named a Distinguished Alumnus and elected to the Alumni Hall of Fame. A former president of the Meredith Corporation’s Magazine Group, publisher o ...more
More about James A. Autry...
Love and Profit: The Art of Caring Leadership Real Power: Business Lessons from the Tao Te Ching Choosing Gratitude: Learning to Love the Life You Have The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Perf ormance Looking Around for God: The Oddly Reverent Observations of an Unconventional Christian