Start by marking “The Servant Leader: How to Build a Creative Team, Develop Great Morale, and Improve Bottom-Line Performance” as Want to Read:

3.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  223 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
A Practical Guide to Using the Principles of Servant Leadership

Leadership is a calling. And servant leadership—the idea that managing with respect, honesty, love, and spirituality empowers employees—helps individuals answer that calling. Bestselling author and former Fortune 500 executive James A. Autry reveals the servant leader’s tools, a set of skills and ideals that wi
Published November 30th 2004 by Crown Business (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Servant Leader, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Servant Leader

Heather
Aug 31, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
I want revisit this book already. I found it inspiring, easy to read, and full of relevant examples and suggestions. But don't expect a formulaic system that's easy to follow. The foundation of the entire thing rests on the concept of being centered yourself in order to successfully lead. It's really an outgrowth of all the positive ways being calm and balanced in your life can positively affect anyone around you, and I'd argue that you've got to be in the right mental space to read it.

You coul
Jeff Carter
Feb 02, 2014 Jeff Carter rated it it was amazing
This book is the BEST guidance I've ever seen for teaching anyone how to be a TRUE LEADER!!! It will show you how to be a person that knows how to follow first so you can then be a person that knows how to lead! Everything that I have come to believe about leadership in my lifetime is profoundly explained in this book. So, all together now.......read......follow.......LEAD!!!
Drick
Dec 30, 2011 Drick rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership
James Autry was a business leader who acted as a servant leader before he knew the term. Essentially he illustrates the daily tasks of leading and managing (vision, planning, motivating, holding accountable, dealing with conflict, etc) through a servant leader mode. The book's strength is its practically, but its weakness is that it does not clearly show how being a good business leader (read effective and efficient; meeting the bottom line) is differentiated from a good servant leader. He allud ...more
Ronin Ronin
Aug 06, 2015 Ronin Ronin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like the way it was laid out, building a foundation based on the necessary characteristics, then what their purpose is, finishing off with framework and answers to situations.
Marc
Dec 30, 2011 Marc rated it liked it
Like many of these types of book where spirituality is mixed with another endeavor, the beginning and high-level concepts were more impactful than a lot of the details in following chapters. The examples always felt fabricated and the quotes from friends and colleagues were much too "literary." But it was worth the read nonetheless to become aware of a philosophy of leadership which should be followed by many more companies in the world.
Stalin
Jun 24, 2015 Stalin rated it it was amazing
A well thought out guide to becoming a better leader. How one can work with the resources available to develop morale and build a functional team.
Jaime Contreras
Jul 24, 2011 Jaime Contreras rated it it was amazing
This has been a mainstay of my personal library and a reference resource for me since it was published a decade ago. It has sound guidance and illustrations about honest ann ethical leadership principles. It lays out the truth that leadership is built on respect, honesty, integrity, love and humility. I recomend it to anyone seeking leadership or in leadership.
Niki Whiteside
Aug 25, 2009 Niki Whiteside rated it really liked it
I picked up for my dissertation but found the book to be very interesting. Based on current events in my professional life it seemed to mirror processes we are going through. I found suggestions and ideas that are very helpful professionally and gained a better understanding of the true application of servant leadership principles.
Londonmabel Mabel
Aug 06, 2010 Londonmabel Mabel rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: interested in leadership
Recommended to Londonmabel by: Andrea L
I only read the two chapters recommended to me, plus some other bits here and there. But it's a great, simplified book on the real, most important basics of leadership. And a way to bring your real self to your job.
Trish Hobson
Oct 02, 2012 Trish Hobson rated it liked it
This book was required reading for the leadership team at work. I definitely wouldn't have read it otherwise. These type of books don't generally appeal to me. It was OK. That's the best I can do.
Corey Grant
Sep 16, 2011 Corey Grant rated it it was amazing
More people should read this book. It teaches you how you should lead (treat your staff) more than any other book Ive read. Great book.
Ruby
Apr 16, 2007 Ruby rated it really liked it
Something I had to read for work but something that helped me realize how great of a servant leader the prophet (saw) was.
Martha
Jan 22, 2011 Martha rated it really liked it
I wish I had read this when I was working.
C.
Feb 06, 2013 C. rated it really liked it
Much needed viewpoint in the business world.
Rob Lever
Oct 25, 2015 Rob Lever rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, leadership
older but intuitive and engaging.
Cathy
Jul 18, 2009 Cathy rated it really liked it
All leaders should read this
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Apr 26, 2016
Uriel Herrera
Uriel Herrera marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2016
Shana Wolfe
Shana Wolfe is currently reading it
Apr 22, 2016
Joe
Joe marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2016
Mary Elise
Mary Elise rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Crystal
Crystal marked it as to-read
Bill Miller
Bill Miller rated it liked it
Denise Hill
Denise Hill marked it as to-read
Luke Matthews
Luke Matthews rated it it was amazing
Apr 03, 2016
Nikki Diekmann
Nikki Diekmann marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2016
Katie Adams
Katie Adams marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Calista
Calista marked it as to-read
Mar 27, 2016
Jessi Smith
Jessi Smith marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2016
  • The World's Most Powerful Leadership Principle: How to Become a Servant Leader
  • The Leadership Challenge Workbook
  • Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value
  • Reality-Based Leadership: Ditch the Drama, Restore Sanity to the Workplace, and Turn Excuses Into Results
  • The Heart of a Leader
  • Personality Not Included: Why Companies Lose Their Authenticity and How Great Brands Get It Back
  • If the Buddha Got Stuck: A Handbook for Change on a Spiritual Path
  • The Generosity Factor
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • The Art of Focused Conversation: 100 Ways to Access Group Wisdom in the Workplace
  • The Five Most Important Questions You Will Ever Ask about Your Organization: An Inspiring Tool for Organizations and the People Who Lead Them
  • Clever: Leading Your Smartest, Most Creative People
  • Power of Appreciative Inquiry: A Practical Guide to Positive Change
  • Leadership Lessons of Jesus
  • Unstuck: A Tool for Yourself, Your Team, and Your World
  • Meditations
  • Transformational Leadership
Poet, lecturer, and management consultant James A. Autry was born March 8, 1933, in Memphis, Tennessee, but he grew up in Benton County, Mississippi, and in 1955 received a B.A. degree in journalism from the University of Mississippi, where he was later named a Distinguished Alumnus and elected to the Alumni Hall of Fame. A former president of the Meredith Corporation’s Magazine Group, publisher o ...more
More about James A. Autry...