Start by marking “Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness” as Want to Read:
Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness

Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  1,448 Ratings  ·  43 Reviews
A classic work on leadership for business men and women, government leaders and all persons in positions of authority.
Published January 1st 2002 by Paulist Press (first published 1977)

Bart Breen
May 24, 2012 Bart Breen rated it it was amazing
Not a Book for the Weak of Heart

Servant-Leadership is rapidly becoming a popularized term and a popular concept to bandy about in many circles.

This is the book that started that trend.

Published originally in 1977, it contains articles and concepts that found their germination in the turbulant decade of the 1960's. While you might imagine from the term "Servant-Leader" that the ideology of this book stems from religious conviction and it certainly does include that, you may be surprised to read i
Jeff
Jul 11, 2009 Jeff rated it liked it
Shelves: leadership
Greenleaf sets forth the almost utopic vision of "servant leadership" as a sort of modified "people-first" mentality. The concepts themselves are great. The evidence that he provides is convincing. I also found it interesting that Greenleaf predicted some of the political situations in which we now find ourselves. Why is this interesting? He did it in the 1970s!

I do agree with many of Greenleaf's assertions about servant leadership. I do believe that one of a leader's responsibilities is to trea
Agatha Glowacki
Jan 02, 2017 Agatha Glowacki rated it really liked it
Brilliant parts that are timeless in wisdom. Some chapters less relevant for modern times, but overall the insights more than made up for it. A gem for leaders.
Chris Armer
Oct 24, 2016 Chris Armer rated it it was ok
The main content of this book could have been had by reading a few articles by the author.
Ron
Jun 06, 2012 Ron added it
Shelves: read-2012

Greenleaf's book was recommended to me by a pastor I greatly respect, but it took me some time before I cracked it open. The book seems dated to me in some ways, with a style of prose a bit more obtuse than I am currently used to (perhaps reading so many books to my toddlers is stumping my own comprehension level) and a hope and optimism for the business was toe that I find difficult to swallow in an era when CEOs are making huge salaries and bonuses but the average middle-class or working -cla
Garren King
Sep 10, 2016 Garren King rated it it was amazing
Not a particularly easy read, but this book should be required reading for anyone who aspires to lead other human beings.
Al Gritten
Aug 27, 2013 Al Gritten rated it liked it
This is a very good book on leaders as servants; doing an excellent job of delineating what that idea truly means. The terminology can be a bit challenging as he writes across institutional lines applying his concepts to business & industry, as well as educational and religious institutions. Greenleaf suggests that foundational to a successful institution is the requirement that it must be more than simply the chief administrator who has a deep commitment. He calls for the board/trustees/syn ...more
Mike
Dec 02, 2013 Mike rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reflection
This book invites the reader to reflect and look deep into their lives and how they are serving the world. We cannot lead without serving. The book goes into detail of what it takes to be a great leader and some strategies one can do to achieve leadership. A leader is not born, they are created. Some of the language can be a little complex and definitely not suitable for young readers. Also, some of the concepts may be meaningless unless one is mature enough to fully comprehend them. I really en ...more
Royce Rose
Jan 29, 2016 Royce Rose rated it it was amazing
Went back to read this again. Though dated in its cultural references, Greenleaf presents a powerful description of true servant leadership; leadership focused on every person your enterprise touches - employees, customers, and society in general - asking, "Do they, while being served, become healthier, wiser, freer, more autonomous, more likely themselves to become servants? And, what is the effect on the least privileged in society? Will they benefit or at least not be further deprived?" (p. 2 ...more
Julie Connor
Apr 27, 2014 Julie Connor rated it really liked it
In "Servant Leadership," Robert Greenleaf empowers readers with information and insight into the tools, knowledge, and moral aptitude of a true leader. Greenleaf encourages collaboration, trust, listening, and empowerment. He explains how to align one's purpose with one's core values and the importance of aligning one's core values with one's mission and vision. A servant leader upholds the mission and vision of the organization and models an example for all members to follow. "Servant Leadershi ...more
John
Jul 25, 2011 John rated it it was ok
Greenleaf can't seem to decide whether his recommendations, which are elusive at times and fragmented at best, are grounded in Christian ethic and truth or not. Some of his fundamental statements are certainly honorable but idealist and utopian in a fallen, sinful, and self-centered world. In some sense, it smelled of a culture reforming theology without the explicit biblical anchor. This is a man with a heavy heart and a strong moral compass that struggled to stay on point. The book provides mo ...more
Sandy H
Feb 13, 2015 Sandy H rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I found Greenleaf's writing style very difficult to wade through--it felt unnecessarily dry and complex for the subject matter. My second biggest issue with it has more to do with the time in which it was written--it's now about 40 years old--and the fact that it seemed to be reflective of attitudes and assumptions that I no longer carry in today's world. This book laid the foundation of "servant leadership" that has had a major influence on the church but in many ways I found the book condescen ...more
Elyssa
Mar 24, 2008 Elyssa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: career
This book is a series of writings and lectures about the concept of servant leadership. Some segments were very specific to servant leadership in churches, education, etc. I did not read this whole book, but did read the parts that applied to my development as a manager, which was most of the book. To that end, I was able to understand and embrace the principles of servant leadership and look forward to applying them in my job.
Katherine Collins
Jun 02, 2014 Katherine Collins rated it it was amazing
Shelves: business-ish
Row upon row of airport-bookstore management books cannot hold a candle to this, in my opinion. Greenleaf’s book is now about 30 years old, but in it you see a depth and rootedness that most writing in this genre lacks. It is not “10 Easy Steps to Greatness” but rather a thoughtful reflection on the very essence of leadership. Are you a leader or are you a boss? This is a vital distinction that is often overlooked in our search for efficiency and “professional management” tools.
Glenn Williams
May 29, 2011 Glenn Williams rated it really liked it
The author, regarded as the founder of servant-leadership, proposes that service ought to be the distinguishing characteristic of leadership, while creating stronger corporations and organizations. This book is a collection of essays and talks presented by Greenleaf as he attempts to apply servant-leadership to the fields of education, business, foundations, churches and government. This is an excellent book, made all the better by the outstanding foreword written by Stephen R. Covey.
Lincoln
Jul 12, 2016 Lincoln rated it it was ok
This was much more directed at institution and boards/trustees than I expected. As someone working in the lower ranks, I only took something from a couple of essays.

Greenleaf also has much more faith in the ability of business to transform society than I do. I appreciate his words on the dignity of work but I'm not sure asking big businesses to lead that societal change will bring it about.
Stephen
Jul 24, 2011 Stephen rated it liked it
READ AUG 2009

Unique take on the nature of institutions in the modern world and the role the trustee has as servant-leader. Best quote, "The servant-leader is servant first...it begins with the natural feeling that one wants to serve, to serve first. Then conscious choice brings one to aspire to lead" (p. 27).
Sterling R.
Apr 06, 2009 Sterling R. rated it liked it
His theory of servant leadership is still very applicable today. Unfortunately, some of his examples of application of this theory were dated and distracting. I would have enjoyed this read much more had Greenleaf focused on the message slightly more than the esoteric world of non-profit foundations, churches, and education of the 60's and 70's.
Louise Sullivan
Jan 24, 2016 Louise Sullivan rated it really liked it
This is not the first time I have read Greenleaf"s book and it won't be the last. I was fortunate to take a course on servant leadership that was taught by Larry Spears. Spears was instrumental in getting Greenleaf's work to be publicly available
Michael Haupt
The seminal work on this subject. Greenleaf borrowed many of his ideas from "Journey to the East" by Herman Hesse. Required reading if you are a member of a board of directors or have any leadership role in the world of business.
MisterFweem
Jul 17, 2015 MisterFweem rated it really liked it
This is one of those books I'll have to read again in order to understand it a little better. At times, it was a tough slog, and I got the feeling that Mr. Greenleaf really enjoys hearing himself talk. But there are enough nuggets of interest to get me to go back again.
Trent
May 27, 2014 Trent rated it it was amazing
This is a hefty book. It is definitely one you can "gut" or skim through in sections that don't apply to you, however I guarantee you will read some wisdom that may give you the guidance to walk confident in your calling. Definitely in my must reads for leaders.
Stanley J.
Apr 16, 2012 Stanley J. rated it really liked it
Two great nuggets here:

1. Servant leadership begins with the desire to serve first, not with the desire for leadership benefits.
2. Servant leaders both serve and are served by their organizations - so no martyr leadership.
Heath Alexander
Jun 07, 2013 Heath Alexander rated it liked it
Some good ideas and thoughts, but pretty dry and overly wordy. Each broken down section has the same over-arching theme, but put all the pieces together and the author is really calling for an entire overhaul of western society.
Nick Bicandi
Jan 17, 2012 Nick Bicandi rated it did not like it
Difficult to read and too long. Author made a point and then went on and on about it in a confusing manor until coming back to his original point.
Jan
May 19, 2012 Jan is currently reading it
I'm rereading the book from the viewpoint of organizational theory. What does servant leadership mean to each generation in the workplace--modern to postmodern?
Tedjimsmith
Jun 28, 2012 Tedjimsmith rated it liked it
There were some good thoughts in the book but I didn't relate to all of the material. I did like his focus on society and how that should be a common goal.
Michelle
Feb 22, 2009 Michelle rated it really liked it
An introduction to servant-leadership - since it's a collection of Greenleaf's essays it gets repetetive, but Greenleaf's message is inspiring and revolutionary nonetheless.
Beth
Nov 16, 2015 Beth rated it liked it
Timeless messages and great discussion, but the context and writing style leave something to be desired
Francine
Apr 12, 2011 Francine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've read this one at least 3 times; just dipped into it again recently. This is really approachable, wise philosophy. It's applicable to your life, personal, professional and spiritual.
Goodreads Librari...: page correction request ISBN 9780809105540 1 12 Sep 29, 2013 02:11PM
  • Stewardship: Choosing Service Over Self-Interest
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Leadership
  • Leadership Without Easy Answers
  • Theory U: Leading from the Future as it Emerges
  • Credibility: How Leaders Gain and Lose It, Why People Demand It
  • Leadership: Theory and Practice
  • On Becoming a Leader
  • Deep Change: Discovering the Leader Within
  • Visual Leaders: New Tools for Visioning, Management, and Organization Change: New Tools for Visioning, Management, and Organizational Change
  • Leadership and the New Science: Discovering Order in a Chaotic World
  • Presence: An Exploration of Profound Change in People, Organizations, and Society
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • Organizational Culture and Leadership (The Jossey-Bass Business & Management Series)
  • Bass & Stogdill's Handbook of Leadership: Theory, Research & Managerial Applications
  • Fearless Change: Patterns for Introducing New Ideas
  • The World Cafe: Shaping Our Futures Through Conversations That Matter
  • Coaching for Performance: GROWing Human Potential and Purpose - the Principles and Practice of Coaching and Leadership (People Skills for Professionals)

“Don't assume, because you are intelligent, able, and well-motivated, that you are open to communication, that you know how to listen.” 14 likes
“Ego can’t sleep. It micro-manages. It disempowers. It reduces our capability. It excels in control.” 4 likes