Start by marking “The Servant: A Simple Story About the True Essence of Leadership” as Want to Read:

3.88  ·  Rating Details ·  3,058 Ratings  ·  265 Reviews
The Servant: A Simple Story About the True Essence of Leadership
Published September 1st 1998 by Prima (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Servant, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Servant

surfurbian
Aug 02, 2009 surfurbian rated it did not like it
Overall, I found this book to be scripted and cliche'. The teacher only seems to get asked questions to which he has the answers. The individual characters seem like charicatures. I find the way in which they all become equally enlighted at the of the story to feel really fake.

That said, this book has some really good points. Most of them borrowed from others who have said it better and simply regurgitated here using narrative format with very simple language. Personally, I have found the greate
Alison Jones
Nov 23, 2008 Alison Jones rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Alison by: My boss
Shelves: leadership
Everyone who needs a kick in the pants to get life/job/relationships back on track needs to read this book. It's not just for those wanting to be good "leaders", it's for those that want to be better people. I loved this book because the author was not pretentious in any way. He had absolute faults - - not slight faults that really don't matter and in no way illustrate the magnitude of the point (cough cough, Stephen M.R. Covey) - - real faults, real moments of shame, insecurity, and need for gr ...more
Shane
Jul 01, 2009 Shane rated it really liked it
Overall a great read - another practical leadership book told in story form. Interesting cast of characters getting leadership coaching from a cloistered Monk who once was a renowned leader in industry. Nothing earth shattering, but again examples that drove home some concepts, and ideas on how to approach something’s.

Key takeaways;
1: Listening - "true" listening is selfless.

2: Leadership is a choice (You chose it).

3: It is huge responsibility to have been entrusted with the well being of so man
Lucas Leite
Nov 25, 2011 Lucas Leite rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Superficiality for the masses

When trying to get the ingredients of what has to be good leadership for a successful business through an Anglican monk (!?), author James Hunter makes a 'novel' superficial with predictable and caricatural characters; ending it with a cliché of redemption.

Analyzing only the quality of the plot comes the question: Why not a book essentially technical, involving the issue of leadership? The answer is simple: Because leadership is so worked as the characters in this "b
Sandys Nunes
Sep 14, 2014 Sandys Nunes rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: business
Este livro é a mais deliciosa receita para liderança. Leitura obrigatória para qualquer um que ocupe o papel de líder, não só numa empresa, mas na família, nos esportes e em qualquer que seja o grupo de pessoas que tenham um objetivo em comum.

***Partes mais importantes do livros e coisas que aprendi***

pag. 32

Características para ter autoridade (não poder):
- Honestidade, confiabilidade
- Bom exemplo
- Cuidado
- Compromisso
- Bom ouvinte
- Conquista a confiança das pessoas
- Trata as pessoas com respei
Bruno Cunha
Nov 13, 2011 Bruno Cunha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
O Monge e o Executivo – Uma História Sobre a Essência da Liderança, de James C. Hunter, é um livro pra você ler num final de semana. Gostei do estilo do livro. As lições poderiam ter sido simplesmente listada em umas quatro páginas, mas o autor criou uma história envolvente que prende o leitor e passa, pausadamente, as dicas para se tornar um bom líder. A palavra chave é Líder Servidor. Muito interessante a idéia.

Mas que bom que consegui ler esse livro! Tinha comprado no final de 2005 e empreste
Nicholas
Mar 23, 2013 Nicholas rated it liked it
I enjoyed reading this book. The author weaves the tail of
an executive who, while visiting a monastery attains lessons
on authority and leadership. The author explains that trust is essentially
built by pushing others to gently achieve their NEEDS (not wants) which in return
builds an eagerness in others to follow you. The author also makes the clear
distinction that POWER = Foreceful cohesion and that the ability to force or coerce someone
to do your will (Do it or I'll fire you, do it or we'll bomb
James Wirshing
Mar 17, 2011 James Wirshing rated it it was amazing
An excellent book. This is a story-type tale of John Daily, a businessman whose outwardly successful life is spiraling out of control. He reluctantly attends a weeklong leadership retreat at a remote Benedictine monastery. Along the way, he (and the other attendees) learns that the true foundaton of leadership is not power, but authority, which is built upon relationships, love, service, and sacrifice.

Makes the important distinction between serving the needs of others vs being a slave to their w
Ryan Dreier
Jan 21, 2013 Ryan Dreier rated it liked it
I was assigned this book because my job was bringing in the author to speak. I enjoyed the book but I must say by the end I felt like it was simply a regurgitation of all those leadership phrases bundled in one book, with the exception that Hunter pairs each revelation with a character. I'll practice hunters principles however I only take on the responsibility of a leader 4 months of the year, and unfortunately we had one of these motivational speakers come last year, and as hunter states "nothi ...more
Rafael Aura
Jan 03, 2013 Rafael Aura rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: practicos
Maldita manía que tienen de novelar temas a toda costa. Este libro podría ser un ensayo (incluso bastante brillante...) sobre el liderazgo, pero en el afan de hacer el tema más entretenido, se han empeñado en novelarlo y resulta pesadísima.
Que conste que los conceptos son más que válidos y sus tesis por lo menos interesantes, pero deberían enviar al infierno de los escritores a James C. Hunter por novelar este libro que de otra forma hubiera sido bastante interesante.
Rob
Jul 13, 2014 Rob rated it it was amazing
Shelves: leadership
Occasionally you come across a book that hits exactly at what you were thinking. This is such a book. A quick read in the form of a parable, this book possess powerful lessons for all leaders to ponder.
Mary
Nov 01, 2015 Mary rated it really liked it
While it does occasionally show its age, it's an easy-read of an account of a man learning about modern, others-first leadership. I found its lessons very useful, with plenty of "food for thought" on my own behaviors and leadership skills.
Andre Otto
Apr 14, 2013 Andre Otto rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
É um livro muito bom que conta a histórias de pessoas que estavam passando por problemas na parte de liderança e encontram em um mosteiro, uma pessoa reconhecido mundialmente sobre seus feitos com relação a liderança que os ensina o que realmente é ser um líder!

Recomendo
Robbie
Mar 09, 2016 Robbie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: leadership
Um livro incrível sobre a Liderança que me ajudou bastante na composição da minha monografia. That book helped me a lot in my final Final Course Assignment. I talked about Leadership.
Mariana Machado
Jun 17, 2015 Mariana Machado rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Suas ações sempre falarão mais alto e serão muito mais importantes do que suas palavras". James C. Hunter
Mauricio Amorim
Jan 05, 2016 Mauricio Amorim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Livro muito bom que traz a tona toda o conceito de liderança servil e suas nuances.
Ramon Chrystian
Jul 29, 2014 Ramon Chrystian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lideranca
Interesting
Jim Razinha
Jan 13, 2017 Jim Razinha rated it it was ok
If you read only one book on leadership... ...please, don't choose this one.

Derivative, ham-fisted and dumbed down beyond the point of obvious, Hunter takes the childish simplicity of something like Blanchard's didacticism and bafflingly makes it even more banal. And he's blind to his flaws. Tell me what's wrong with this, Hunter's introduction to the cast of caricatures...uh, characters...he'll use to hammer...uh, illustrate...his points:
The teacher asked the six of us to introduce ourselves w
Stef
Jan 12, 2017 Stef rated it it was amazing
One of the greatest books I have read on leadership. It really hits so many interesting points to learn and think about. The books feels slightly odd at the start. However once the story hits the sanctuary it really starts to build the information around servant leadership. Short and to the point. I enjoy this book very much.
Elsof
Oct 30, 2016 Elsof rated it liked it
Good reminders and teachings for how to lead with authority and what that means both for the leader and the led.
Meghann
Nov 04, 2016 Meghann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book in lots of ways. Great way to think about how we do life and leadership
Kristie Racanelli
Jan 15, 2017 Kristie Racanelli rated it liked it
I agree with much of the content of the book, though I didn't enjoy the way it was written, which is basically a retelling of a conference he attended. I was intrigued at the introduction, but the rest was just OK.
Omar Halabieh
Feb 25, 2012 Omar Halabieh rated it it was amazing
This is business tale relaying the story of a businessman (John Daily) who is struggling both at work and at home. John is signed up to attend a weeklong leadership retreat at a monastery. Through this retreat, interactions with other participants, and with the guidance of a former executive turned monk John learns the true foundation of leaderships: "Authority, Service and Sacrifice, Love, and Will".

A very quick, entertaining and educative read!

Below are excerpts from the book that I found part
Clara
Sep 20, 2016 Clara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Eu até acredito mais no meu potencial depois de ler esse livro! Haha

Gostei do formato -- normalmente, eu teria um baita pé atrás à ideia de ler um livro de autoajuda, mas o fato de ter sido narrado em prosa criou um ambiente tão descontraído que eu sentia estar absorvendo as coisas sem esforço nenhum.

E às pessoas que se ativeram ao fato de o livro ser (um tanto leigamente) romantizado, eu diria que o lessem de novo. O estilo narrativo é meramente um recurso para redigir ensinamentos sem parecer
Dax
Sep 11, 2014 Dax rated it really liked it
I read this at suggestion of a mentor I met at an executive development training course. The book itself is a very easy read. I do not read quickly. I was able to complete the book in its entirety on my flight from Singapore to Moscow. I don't know what to call the style of writing. It is similar to the Goal by Goldratt in that you are not being taught the material. You are learning as the lead character learns it.

One caution about the 2012 edition I read: Skip the introduction at the beginning
Steven Bullmer
Apr 26, 2015 Steven Bullmer rated it it was ok
Storyline: An out of control, out of sync, out of touch General Manager goes to spend a week at a Benedictine monastery; not because he has any faith or any regard for anything Christian, but because he has heard there is a good leadership course being taught there ... and his wife, who is completely fed up with him, basically says, "It's either the monastery or me." So he goes under duress. However, he discovers that one of the monks is one of his business heroes who had dropped out of sight de ...more
John Goetz
Sep 15, 2016 John Goetz rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it

The narrative was totally engaging. Completely lost track of time. The information was given in a way that easy to follow and was fun.
Diane Kavanaugh
Oct 27, 2014 Diane Kavanaugh rated it did not like it
I read this book as required reading for a leadership program. The lessons the author included on leadership are always important to hear, read and/or contemplate. If I had not been required to read the book, I probably would not have finished reading it.

There were several aspects that bothered me:

1. The book sounded contrived to me. I understand that the author was trying to convey leadership traits in a different light. I kept thinking that the points made by students in the discussions sounde
Bryan Robinson
Apr 13, 2012 Bryan Robinson rated it liked it
Some of the things I learned from this book. I went through it with a group from Marietta WorkMatters.

1. p41 - The key to leadership is accomplishing the tasks at hand while building relationships.

- Am I being intentional about building relationships with the people I lead? Praying for them, listening to them?

2. p63 - It is a shame that so many leaders spend their time pondering their rights as leaders instead of their awesome responsibilities as leaders.
- Am I open to changing from “my” way?

Greg
The Servant is another in that category of business/leadership books that seeks to teach good principles through the medium of a story. In this case, unlike some others I have read, I thought the story was weak, preachy, and unpersuasive. It's not that the principles in play are unsound...far from it. In fact, the leadership principles Hunter wants to get across are what I think of as enduring principles. That is, they are true and applicable, no matter the time, place, or situation. However, it ...more
Goodreads Librari...: Fix field "sort by title" 2 130 Sep 17, 2016 02:06PM
  • Judgment: How Winning Leaders Make Great Calls
  • Lead... for God's Sake!
  • Building Better Families: A Practical Guide to Raising Amazing Children
  • Leadership and Liberty
  • Wooden: A Lifetime of Observations and Reflections On and Off the Court
  • Ten Powerful Phrases for Positive People
  • Integrity Selling for the 21st Century: How to Sell the Way People Want to Buy
  • Servant Leadership: A Journey Into the Nature of Legitimate Power and Greatness
  • Leadership Is an Art
  • Bringing Out the Best in People: How to Enjoy Helping Others Excel
  • Lead Like Jesus: Lessons from the Greatest Leadership Role Model of All Time
  • The Business of Software: What Every Manager, Programmer, and Entrepreneur Must Know to Thrive and Survive in Good Times and Bad
  • Success Built to Last: Creating a Life that Matters
  • Something to Smile about: Encouragement and Inspiration for Life's Ups and Downs
  • Getting Things Done When You Are Not in Charge
  • Attitude 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • The Ant and the Elephant: Leadership for the Self: A Parable and 5-Step Action Plan to Transform Workplace Performance
  • A Menina do Vale
JAMES C. HUNTER é consultor-chefe da J. D. Associados, uma empresa de consultoria de relações de trabalho e treinamento. Com mais de 20 anos de experiência, Hunter é muito solicitado como instrutor e palestrante, principalmente nas áreas de liderança funcional e organização de grupos comunitários. Atualmente, ele mora em Michigan com a esposa e a filha.

Chefe da J.D. Hunter Associados, uma empresa
More about James C. Hunter...

“No siempre puedo controlar mis sentimientos hacia los demás, pero lo que sí puedo controlar es mi comportamiento hacia los demás.” 1 likes
“time” 0 likes