Start by marking “Charlie Anderson” as Want to Read:
Charlie Anderson

Charlie Anderson

Charlie, a fuzzy gray cat, walked out of the woods one evening and into Elizabeth's and Sarah's hearts. Now he sleeps on their beds, lets them dress him up in doll clothes, and laps up warm milk on chilly nights. But where does Charlie go during the day?
It's not until a storm keeps Charlie away one night that the two sisters discover his other, daytime, home. But maybe th
Published March 1st 1995 by Margaret K. McElderry Books (first published September 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Charlie Anderson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Charlie Anderson

Susan
Sep 20, 2015 Susan rated it really liked it
This is a touching story that also gave me a good chuckle. Additionally, the pictures are beautifully done and the message a good one for children whose parents are living apart, and also just generally for understanding the different types of families the people can have.
Heather Gray
Sep 16, 2016 Heather Gray rated it really liked it
Shelves: books-11-20
Type of book- picture book
literary genre- realistic fiction
Awards- none
Summary- One day a grey cat shows up at the house where two sisters live. They take him in and feed him and let him sleep at the end of their bed. Every morning after breakfast, Charlie leaves and goes into the woods. One day Charlie doesn't come back and the two sisters go looking for him. They ask several people, who haven't seen him, until they go to the house on the other side of the woods. They ask the people if they hav
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A con artist cat (aren't they all?) is eating at two different homes, unbeknownst to each of the conned families. I know a few of those cats... I'm also guilty of feeding a few of those conniving kitties. They can spot a sucker a mile away. Cute story, and easy to relate to if you have cats!
Fibersian
May 28, 2014 Fibersian rated it it was amazing
Another favorite book of mine. This one sets up a little mystery. A cat comes to visit a family every night. They name him Charlie and take care of him. Then he disappears. They search and search. Finally they find him with another family who have named him Anderson. Usually Charlie spends the day with this family. The 2 families share the cat Charlie Anderson.

This is a story that promotes critical thinking. The reader can think aloud as s/he reads the story. Then have the children start thinki
Jackie
Charlie Anderson is a cuddly, purring striped gray cat who appears at Sarah and Elizabeth's house each night. They love him, but wonder where he lives during the day. It is not until a scary stormy night in which Charlie does not show that the mystery takes on a new slant. Sarah and Elizabeth go over to the new house beyond the woods and ask the couple if they've seen him. Yes! Of course 'Anderson', our cuddly gray cat lives here!.

In time, Sarah and Elizabeth realize that a cat can be loved and
Anne Wheary
May 01, 2015 Anne Wheary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: lssl-3361
I used this book as my in class lesson! I love how this story helps children identify with step families and blending households! I used a puzzle map as an activity because the ending was such a surprise.
Elle
Jul 05, 2015 Elle rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s
Loved this book! A thoughtful story about a cat that has two different homes and families that love him.
Maria
Sep 09, 2016 Maria rated it really liked it
I love cat stories. Here's a cat who has two homes. Spoiled kitty. The illustrations are great!
Gena
Jun 02, 2016 Gena rated it really liked it
Girls of divorced parents find a cat that shares two homes just like them!
Acacia Casner
Dec 13, 2010 Acacia Casner rated it really liked it
Charlie Anderson is a kitten that has won the love and affection of two young girls. The girls take good care of kitten each day. It isn't until the kitten goes missing that the two girls discover that the kitten also has another place to call home that is full of love. This book has implications of divorce as the two girls are comparing their lives to that of their kitten Charlie Anderson. They each have two homes that are full of love. I use this book to teach inferring, but it would also be g ...more
Susie
Oct 31, 2011 Susie rated it it was amazing
I am a librarian for 5 different staffs in 4 different buildings, and this year I've transported this book back and forth several times from school to school to fulfill teacher requests. As I delivered it once again today, I thought I should probably read it to see what all of the excitement was about. The book has a very nice surprise ending (which is what some teachers use it for), and is one that my mother would have loved, so I guess that endeared it to me even more.
Mar 04, 2012 Sarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, picture-books
A stray cat comes Sarah and Elizabeth's house every night around supper time and stays through the night, sleeping on their beds. He becomes part of the family and they name him "Charlie." He leaves in the mornings to hunt in the woods, or at least that's what they think. Where does he really go? Soft oil paintings illustrate the emotional ties the girls feel for the cat and the cozy scenes as they become attached to him. Single parent family connection.
Shannon Tisone
Apr 28, 2016 Shannon Tisone rated it it was amazing
This book is well worth the quick read, and it is quite charming. It's a cute take on showing kids that if you have more than one family, that it's okay. You just get the best of both worlds, and many more people who love you. I also think that this book is very relatable to those who do have indoor and out door cats because cats will be gone for days on ends during their hunts and you can't help but worry about the little family member.
Amy
May 02, 2012 Amy rated it did not like it
Shelves: cat-stories
I found the moral to be heavy handed and not exactly relevant to the story. Bea could stand to read some sensitive stories about kids that have divorced parents, but this one didn't help us. Bea didn't like the story because she "doesn't like stories about kids that find animals and then they belong to someone else." Our insurance agent's name is Charlie Anderson, hilariously. The illustrations are so lovely and cozy!
Angela
Mar 28, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it
This book will have special meaning for children whose parents are separated or divorced. Charlie, a gray striped cat, spends his nights with Sarah and Elizabeth at their mother's house but every morning he leaves. This goes on every night except on the weekends, when the girls stay with their father. One stormy night when Charlie fails to show up, Sarah and Elizabeth go looking for him and discover his special secret.
Allison
Apr 30, 2009 Allison rated it liked it
One of the more clever books about divorce. Elizabeth and Sarah live with their mother during the week, and their father on the weekends. One night, a cat comes to their home and decides to stay. Every morning though, he hunts in the woods. Eventually, the girls find out that Charlie also lives with a family down the street, and stays there during the day. Charlie has two homes, two families, and two beds.
Apr 10, 2010 Jennifer rated it really liked it
This book appealed to me, because I have a cat named Charlie, and I have a friend who had a cat once who lived at two houses without either one knowing for years! This book is great for helping children understand that living in two houses is not a bad thing. Also, the book has several endings, and it is great to teach children about how to end their writing.
jacky
Dec 26, 2007 jacky rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Another book my literacy specialist read aloud to my school as part of training. I like cats, so I liked that these little girls got to have a cat. I thought that the ending was cute how their was the connection between the girls have two homes the same as the cat. That seems like it could be a useful book for kids with two homes to read to help them cope.
Melody Richardson
Matthew
Oct 22, 2011 Matthew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animal-books
The story of a cat who travels between two homes every morning and evening without the knowledge of the family in either home is highly entertaining and connects well for children whose parents live in two different homes for whatever reason. It was a simple story, but enjoyable at the same time.
Alicia
Aug 08, 2013 Alicia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: storytime, 2s-3s, divorce
Very sweet story about sisters who take care of a cat that visits at night. They name him Charlie. Charlie has a secret though....The fact that the sisters have two homes is an important part of the story, but is introduced and dealt with subtly. Our copy is, unfortunately, a bit shabby.
Danielle Desmarais
Nov 20, 2012 Danielle Desmarais rated it really liked it
Book about a cat with two homes, that is loved equally by both. Great lesson for children to understand living in two homes is not a bad thing and they can be loved just as much as anyone else. Puts a sometimes touchy topic in a great light.

2nd grade reading level
Chris Tinker-madsen
Nov 03, 2010 Chris Tinker-madsen rated it liked it
This is a great book to use for questioning. Charlie is a cat who leaves one house at night to go to his other home. It also talks about kids having two houses and two families. Great way to start a "what families look like" discussion.
Liz
This story is a wonderful read aloud for prediction, inference, and discussion. The girls in the story feed Charlie the cat and find out that he has another family to love and visit, just like they visit their dad on the weekends.
Megan Sutherland
A good book for children to predict the story by looking at the illustrations before even reading a word. A story about a cat who goes from family to family and when he doesn't return home one night it begins to worry the girls.
Nikki
Oct 18, 2012 Nikki rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
Very cute book about a cat that has TWO homes. This is a great tool to teach young kids about making inferences, but also to relate to kids who have two homes, parents that are going through a divorce, etc.
Amy Rodosta
Oct 02, 2013 Amy Rodosta rated it really liked it
I've never read this book before but really enjoyed. We used it as an introduction for our writing lesson. It was a great text to share with the kids. I loved listening to the connections they made.
Lisa
Apr 11, 2010 Lisa rated it really liked it
When I was young living in the country, I had several cats that would roam from neighbor to neighbor. They were loved by all. This book is a great book that demonstrates a love for animals.
Angela
Good book about a cat with two homes, just like the little girls in the book because their parents are divorced.

Good book to have child read with parents going through divorce
Kaylen Matherly
This is a good book to read with early elementary students. This mysterious cat will have you thinking throughout the reading. This would be a good book to read for fun in class.
  • Tight Times
  • Aunt Chip and the Great Triple Creek Dam Affair
  • All the Colors of the Earth
  • Anno's Magic Seeds
  • Dearly, Nearly, Insincerely
Barbara Abercrombie has published two novels for adults, plus books for children, including the award winning picture book, Charlie Anderson. Her novels have been optioned for films and published in six languages. Her essays, articles and poems have appeared in numerous magazines and newspapers, including The Los Angeles Times, The Christian Science Monitor and United Airlines Hemisphere magazine. ...more
More about Barbara Abercrombie...