That Good Earth

That Good Earth (Love Has No Boundaries)

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Dear Author,
I would love to read a sweet, kisses-only story about two British young men serving together during WW1. Surviving in the trenches, sitting out a long night under fire, etc. I also have a weakness for WW1 pilots, if you decide to go that route. :)

Photo Description:
No photo

This story was written as a part of the M/M Romance Group's "Love Has No Boundaries" even...more
Published July 8th 2013 by M/M Romance Group @ goodreads

The Gentleman and the Rogue by Bonnie DeeBound by Deception by Ava MarchDowntime by Tamara AllenWhistling in the Dark by Tamara AllenSnowball in Hell by Josh Lanyon
Best Gay Historical Romance
268th out of 397 books — 667 voters
Love Has No Boundaries Anthology by Kyle AdamsNor Iron Bars a Cage by Kaje HarperLove Has No Boundaries Anthology by Heidi BelleauLove Has No Boundaries Anthology by Kim DareLove Has No Boundaries Anthology by Kathleen  Hayes
MM Romance Group Love Has No Boundaries
136th out of 203 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Ami
Second Lieutenant Arthur Reed from Royal Flying Corps met Lieutenant William McCall when they both took shelter in a hole in a mud. After they were rescued, they were back to their respective squadron, though they kept contact by letters (and also being very careful in their words due to censorship at that time)...

-------------------------

Although I am familiar with S.A. Maede's stories before, I didn't immediately jumped into reading this one. The reason? Historical. Never is my favorite genre,...more
Elizabetta

Two British soldiers find a quick connection in a muddy trench on the enemy line in this WWI historical. Can a connection happen that fast? I’m willing to believe that in such horrific circumstances one might grasp for any bit of comfort one can. This is a softly-told, gentle story of love found for two lonely men who’ve been to hell and back. I liked that we get more of how things settled-out for William and Arthur at the end (the story could have ended earlier but didn’t). This was sweet and w...more
Hollis Shiloh
The author wrote this story for my request, and I can still hardly believe it! It's simply amazing. Just what I wanted to read, and so beautiful, tender, understated, and warm. Two young men fall in love during a brief encounter during WWI. They have to be extremely circumspect in their relationship and only get to kiss once. Correspondence (very understated and British) keeps them in touch. But lots of things happen in war that can tear two people apart, especially from such a tenuous connectio...more
Christy B
It was so nice to read a m/m romance set during WWI that didn't end tragically.
Vastine Bondurant
I love the writing of S.A. Meade so I jumped on board when I saw she'd done a short for the Goodreads M/M 'Love Has No Boundaries' collection.

What a beautiful story, in every way: beautiful, poetic prose which is Ms. Meade's trademark style and which I love; beautiful, panoramic settings which put me in the mind of a delcious black and white British WWI film; gentle, oh-so-lovely characters; passion.

The story is one, sweet, satisfied **SIGH**

Thanks again for a lovely read, Ms. Meade.
Nic
This was a truly lovely story. I was totally transported to the trenches as Arthur and William meet during the heat of battle. I can't even imagine what it would have been like to be in such a situation but the author did a wonderful job of bringing these two men together in such circumstances.

Theirs is a gentle love, starting from a brief meeting and continuing via letter and postcard until after the war. They both experience tragedy so it is wonderful so see the happy ending.
Monique
This was a lovely story to read between two men who found love in an unlikely place. It was nice how the author brought these two men together.

The ending was so touching. It makes me smile to think they've been together for so any years.
Bookbee
Gah...I have no words! A really superb piece of writing. Brilliant characters written to fit the time period. And I'm still leaking tears even though there is a HEA!

Highly recommended!
Rachel
I just loved this! I loved the writing of the war and the time period. I loved that they sent postcards to each other to stay in touch. And I just loved the last bit at the end. This was just beautiful, I really enjoyed it. Thank you!
Victoria
I enjoyed this Sweet and touching story, the characters and the romance. Nice interpretation the story letter. Thank you S.A. Meade for donating your story, your time and your talent.
Nicole
I adored this story. It was short, and sweet, but S.A. Meade can pack such an emotional rollercoaster in any length story. I don't think I have read a story of hers that did not make me cry, and for me, that is the testament of a great book. The characters were believable, the setting intense (she obviously does her research), and I felt like I was right next to those two men the whole ride. She has a way of sucking you into a story with her wonderful, unique voice. She paints a vivid picture, a...more
K
Jul 08, 2013 K rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: dritc
LHNB Story released 7.7.13
4.5 stars rounded up
Beautifully written WW1 story of an Airman and an Infantryman who meet after the Airman is shot down in between the lines of trenches. The story unfolds slowly as both are faced with real dangers which keep them apart.
Jade
I think you captured that illogical feeling of immediate and strong connection that happens a couple times in a lifetime very well. I don't know about Arthur being such a baby and then not going back but William coming to him, but the writing was lovely. Thank you!
Karen
A touching story about two men who meet briefly in the worst of circumstances and yet make a connection that ultimately brings them back together and allows them to forge a bond that lasts a lifetime.
Annika
This was a beautiful story. Just loved it. Great prose, lovable characters, great settings, all in all near to perfect. And I'm no fan of war stories.
I'll surely check out this author's work!
Monica
An adorable romance set during World War I. What more can I say?
Melanie~~
Jan 13, 2014 Melanie~~ marked it as own-it-not-read-yet

[NOTE: I rate most writing event stories (free reads) 4 or 5 stars because of my appreciation of the author's participation.]
Elizabeth H.
Four point five points rounded up to five. I really enjoyed the feel of the era, World War I, but I didn't care for the unnecessary complication toward the end. Still, the opening sequence in the foxhold and then the trenches warrants real enthusiasm for this heartfelt little story.
Sandra
Offered for FREE from the M/M Romance Group's Love Has No Boundaries event. Thank you too all the amazing authors who participated!
garnetyuna
Nice enough.
A story about WW1... it's kind of weird that I've read this story the same day I've watched Captain America! XD
Misty

Lovely story, Thank You <3
Edina Rose
Edina Rose marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
Janelle
Janelle marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
  • A.S.H.E.R.
  • Love on a Wing and a Prayer
  • Killian's Moon
  • Sign of Spring
I'm fairly new to this writing lark. Stolen Summer is my first published book, there's another, 'Orion Rising' which will be released in March 2012, by Total E Bound and my latest novel, an m/m contemporary, 'Mourning Jack' will be released by Total E Bound in May 2012. Stay tuned!

I love to write and my characters never leave me alone until their story is told.

To those of you who've taken the tim...more
More about S.A. Meade...
Stolen Summer Tumbleweed (Love is Always Write) Orion Rising Mourning Jack Lord of Endersley (The Endersley Papers, #1)