Start by marking “Rancher Wants a Wife (Mail-Order Weddings, #1)” as Want to Read:
Rancher Wants a Wife (Mail-Order Weddings, #1)

Rancher Wants a Wife (Mail-Order Weddings #1)

A marriage to save them both…

Among the responses Cassandra Hamilton receives to her advertizement as a mail-order bride, one stands out—Jack McColton's. The last time she saw him, she was a carefree girl, but tragedy has made her a cautious woman.

Jack is mesmerized by his new bride—Cassandra might bear the scars of recent events, but she's even more beautiful than he rem
Published December 17th 2013 by Harlequin

To ask other readers questions about Rancher Wants a Wife, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rancher Wants a Wife

The Improper Bride by Lily MaxtonThe Visitor by Lori WickImpetuous by Candace CampDoomed by Jayde ScottRancher Wants a Wife by Kate Bridges
"Cassandra"
5th out of 97 books — 3 voters
The Rose Bride by Nancy HolderDesired by Nicola CornickStolen Songbird by Danielle L. JensenIn a Treacherous Court by Michelle DienerThe Dressmaker by Kate Alcott
Why we don't dress like that? (Part 8)
81st out of 101 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Caron Pescatore
Mar 30, 2016 Caron Pescatore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! Once I started reading it, I could not put it down.....it took me less than a day to read it. It is, without a doubt, one of the most, if not the most, amazing mail order bride book I've ever read! And I've read quite a few. While the mail order bride plot is not uncommon, in this instance the author added an unusual twist in that the h and H have a past history prior to the h becoming a mail order bride. The plot moves at a nice, quick pace and kept me engaged..... ...more
Susan
Very good book. I loved the courage that Cassandra found to pursue a new life. She might have known Jack in the past, but it's been five years so there's no guarantee that he's still a good man. She lost her father and sister in the Chicago Great Fire, and was injured herself. Having lost so much, she is cautious about trusting her heart to someone else. When she finally reached California and saw Jack again, she discovered that she was still attracted to him. She wants to build a relationship w ...more
Kim
Jan 20, 2014 Kim added it
Shelves: historical, kindle
The women of Mrs.Pepik’s Boarding House for Desolate Women placed ads looking for husbands. After surviving the Great Fire of Chicago marrying a stranger should be easy, right?

Former wealthy socialite Cassandra Hamilton is the first to accept a proposal from the many responses to her ad, only she did not choose a stranger. It was a surprise to get a letter from Jack McColton, a man she refused and who then disappeared five years ago. She is willing to risk everything by traveling to California
Jenn
Suzanne
Aug 16, 2015 Suzanne rated it really liked it
After the Chicago fire many people were killed and families were torn apart. Women without husbands or families lived together in hopes of finding a new life. Cassandra was going to be the first mail order bride. The burn scar on her cheek was a reminder of the fire she would always live with. Interestingly she had chosen Jack McCoulton in California. She knew Jack and they once had been friends.

Jack was a tall good looking veterinarian in Sundail, California. He was the most eligible bachelor a
Ashley Nelson
2.5 stars. Very predictable and formulaic. Jack and Cassandra had met several years prior, then misunderstandings and circumstances separated them before they got started. So Jack knew who he was getting as a mail-order bride and Cassandra knew at least a little of what she was getting into. The "villain" was rather obvious from the start. Held my attention enough to finish, as it was rather short, and I liked the historical detail. The plotting and romance were weak.
June
Apr 07, 2014 June rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-copy
Jack has loved Cassandra for many years, but she was engaged to his cousin. So he moved on. He's now a veterinarian with a horse ranch and life is pretty good. When he sees Cassandra's mail-order bride in the newspaper, he knows he has to have her.

Cassandra is relieved that she gets a response to her ad from someone she already knows. But when she arrives in his town, she isn't so sure Jack is happy to see her. After all, he didn't kiss her, nor did he introduce her to anyone or tell them he ha
Roxie Wojcik
Jan 19, 2014 Roxie Wojcik rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Harlequin & Romance Fans
Recommended to Roxie by: Facebook Giveaway win
Shelves: first-reads
The Great Chicago Fire, when a wealthy young woman loses more than her family and belongings. Cassandra becomes a mail order bride to a man from her past.

This is a well written love story. With the exception of it having been based around a historic event, its writing is timeless and could have taken place in any small town, ranching community (where there is no gun control).

If your preferences are hot and heavy sex, this isn't the book for you. This is true Harlequin style, where there isn't a
Melissa
Aug 12, 2016 Melissa rated it really liked it
Can't say I've ever read a mail order bride book with this premise! I found it refreshing.

There's a bit of mystery in with this romance. I am usually the last to guess whodunit, but halfway through this story I knew who the as-yet-unidentified villain was. I'm not kidding that for good or ill, just to say it's on the predictable side.
Ruth Kiger
Aug 20, 2014 Ruth Kiger rated it it was amazing
First in the series of Mail Order Brides. The brides left penniless and with no family after the Chicago fire and in order to start a new life offer themselves as mail order brides. This had a little mystery which if you read a lot was predictable, but still entertaining. Recommend if you like early Americana westerns.
Jimmy Smith
Dec 31, 2014 Jimmy Smith rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A great read

There is so much intrigue, we find a strong H and a strong h. Some surprises take place and this hurts the H and h, working to break apart their not so solid relationship. In a town divided against the h and H's marriage the h finds it hard to deal with.
Asma Mighri
Sep 07, 2014 Asma Mighri rated it really liked it
I quit loved this story, it was sweet, lovely and both hero and heroine were so beautiful together... It was just what I needed and I got sucked into the story although it's really short but I couldn't help never wanting it to end...

Cassandra was amazing and so perfect for Jack... they had history and I was glad she confronted the past from the beginning, she was not whiny even when Jack stopped her from doing what she wanted... Jack was such a sweetheart, a hot cowboy sweetheart.... it was obvi
Verodarling Melani
Mar 09, 2014 Verodarling Melani rated it really liked it
4.5 stars. A good story, with believable characters, well written scenes and even a mystery.
Linda
Nov 11, 2014 Linda rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone that love Historical romance stories
A very good historical romance from Harlequin! Enjoyed the book.
Harlequin Books
"Bridges delivers an enjoyable installment in her Mail-Order Weddings series as she wrangles romance, deception and attempted murder." RT Book Reviews
Miniseries: Mail-Order Weddings
Harlequin Historical
Miniseries: Mail-Order Weddings
Judy
Judy is currently reading it
Sep 26, 2016
Sassy
Sassy marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2016
Cleo
Cleo rated it liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Wendy
Wendy rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2016
Chloe
Chloe marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2016
Danelle Cale
Danelle Cale marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it it was ok
Jul 29, 2016
Dena
Dena rated it it was amazing
Jul 02, 2016
Diallo
Diallo rated it it was amazing
Jun 23, 2016
Starr
Starr rated it it was ok
Jun 22, 2016
Nuyo
Nuyo rated it it was ok
Jun 14, 2016
Lyn
Lyn marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2016
Diane Stevens
Diane Stevens rated it liked it
May 29, 2016
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 1 Feb 14, 2015 06:45AM
  • Mail-Order Marriages: Rocky Mountain Wedding\Married in Missouri\Her Alaskan Groom (Alaska, #3)
  • Salvation in the Rancher's Arms (Salvation Falls, #1)
  • The Perfect Wife
  • Falling For The Highland Rogue (Gilvrys Of Dunross, #3)
  • The Highlander's Dangerous Temptation (The MacLerie Clan #7)
  • Western Winter Wedding Bells
  • Captain Corcoran's Hoyden Bride
  • Rumors that Ruined a Lady (Armstrong Sisters #4)
  • Defiant in the Viking's Bed (Victorious Vikings #3)
  • Wanted: Mail-Order Mistress (Gentlemen of Fortune, #3)
  • Bride by Mail (Wild West Weddings #1)
  • From Ruin to Riches
  • The Lullaby: Shaina's Story (Family of Fire, #1)
  • Mail-Order Groom
  • The Gunslinger and the Heiress (Heroes of San Diego #2)
USA TODAY bestselling and award winning author Kate Bridges writes romance and YA fiction. For research, she loves to travel to such faraway places as the Yukon, the Rocky Mountains, and London, England. With over one million books sold worldwide, she’s been honored with Reviewers’ Choice awards, Top Picks on reader websites, and listed as Recommended Reading on national library lists. Prior to be ...more
More about Kate Bridges...

Mail-Order Weddings (2 books)
  • Welcome to Wyoming (Mail-Order Weddings, #2)