Race for the Gold

Race for the Gold

4.04 of 5 stars 4.04  ·  rating details  ·  23 ratings  ·  11 reviews
WHO WANTS TO ICE A WORLD-CLASS SKATER?

Speed skater Laney Thompson still has nightmares about the car crash that almost shattered her lifelong dream. But as she's poised to compete in the world's most important games, she finds worse trouble. Someone wants her out of contention…badly. Laney won't let anything stop her—not sabotage, a stalker or partial amnesia. As she and...more
Published January 7th 2014 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2014)

John Hanscom
Maybe as much as 4½. None of these "love inspired suspense novels" upon which I am hooked will ever be Chaucer, but, for this genre, this is a Very good one. It began as no other I've ever read (and I've read lots of these), it was a great story, the "inspirational" parts only got a little "preachy" once (the rest of the time it was two persons of faith speaking naturally), and the characters were believable even in the milieu of the book. It was a little too easy to figure out who the "bad guys...more
Wendy Sparkes
Four years ago Laney & Max had just won the World Short-Track Speed Skating Qualifiers. They were on the team to represent the US at the Winter Games. But then they are victims of a hit-and-run. Their dreams are crushed, along with their bodies.

Laney Thompson has managed to fight back and is now again at the venue for the World Short-Track Speed Skating Qualifiers. Her aim: to qualify again for the chance to win gold at the Winter Games.

Max is back again too, but this time as Laney's coach....more
Pam
Awesome story of Laney Thompson and Max Blanco as they face the race that will determine if Laney will make the Olympic team or not. Four years before, both had been looking towards making the team when an apparent accident where they were hit by a hit and run driver ruining their changes for speed racing. Laney has recovered and is making the attempt again while Max, who didn't recover enough to skate, acts as her trainer. As things begin to look up, strange things begin happening which make it...more
Joanie Bruce
This was a fun read. Not knowing anything about the grueling preparations for world-class speed skaters, I enjoyed this book because that aspect was totally interesting to me. It was informative and eye-opening, and I enjoyed learning about the total experience of speed racing.

What I loved: The suspense. Several times I sat on the edge of my seat and said, “Noooo. Don’t go in there!” Ms. Mentink did a good job building tension until you were really concerned for the characters’ safety.

What I did...more
Emily
Double thumbs up for this one! Most unique story-line in a suspense novel that I've read lately. So many different angles that tied up nicely at the end.
Ruth
should be a 10 for this one!! Absolutely great!! I love the winter games and the olympics and this is the best book ever on the subject!!! As usual, I missed guessing the bad guys, so you know it was a nail biting suspense when you cant guess from the git-go who did it!!! And the ending was so emotional and inspiring....joyful tears.....Thanks Dana, for another great one...May God continue His blessings on you and thanks so much for sharing your talent!! <3
Hannah
A good story with believable characters and a lot of conflict.
Jeanette
The book starts with an accident and this drew me in right away, I wanted to know what happened. I connected with the main characters and wanted things to work out for them. I enjoyed that it was centred around speed skating, I have always liked watching the Olympics especially the skating, so that made drew me to this book. I am glad I picked it up, it was an enjoyable read.
Harlequin Books
received 4 stars @ RT Book Reviews
Harlequin Books
"As Mentink's characters struggle with failure and trials that test their faith, they remind the reader to make the most of each day (RT Book Reviews)". 4 stars
Aerykah
Aerykah marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Iirraahh
Iirraahh marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Hannah
Hannah marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2014
Megan 'ross' charlton
Megan 'ross' charlton marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Kellie Demarsh
Kellie Demarsh marked it as to-read
Jun 05, 2014
Abigail Richmond
Abigail Richmond marked it as to-read
May 16, 2014
Samanthar
Samanthar marked it as to-read
Apr 04, 2014
Krystal G
Krystal G marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Stephanie
Stephanie marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2014
Anyssa Grayer
Anyssa Grayer marked it as to-read
Feb 27, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
202905
Dana Mentink enjoys writing in many different capacities. Her three book mystery series, beginning with Trouble Up Finny’s Nose, debuted in 2008 with Heartsong Presents Mysteries. She also writes for Harlequin’s Love Inspired Suspense line and River North.

Dana is the recipient of a Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and an ACFW Carol Award as well as a Holt Medallion Merit Award winner.

Dana...more
More about Dana Mentink...
Lost Legacy Turbulence Dangerous Melody Final Resort Jungle Fire