Start by marking “Race for the Gold” as Want to Read:
Race for the Gold

Race for the Gold

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  59 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
WHO WANTS TO ICE A WORLD-CLASS SKATER?

Speed skater Laney Thompson still has nightmares about the car crash that almost shattered her lifelong dream. But as she's poised to compete in the world's most important games, she finds worse trouble. Someone wants her out of contention…badly. Laney won't let anything stop her—not sabotage, a stalker or partial amnesia. As she and
Published January 7th 2014 by Love Inspired (first published January 1st 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Race for the Gold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Race for the Gold

John Hanscom
Dec 19, 2013 John Hanscom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe as much as 4. None of these "love inspired suspense novels" upon which I am hooked will ever be Chaucer, but, for this genre, this is a Very good one. It began as no other I've ever read (and I've read lots of these), it was a great story, the "inspirational" parts only got a little "preachy" once (the rest of the time it was two persons of faith speaking naturally), and the characters were believable even in the milieu of the book. It was a little too easy to figure out who the "bad guys" ...more
Bonnie Drummond
Feb 11, 2017 Bonnie Drummond rated it it was amazing
Shelves: harlequin
Ever think about trying out for the Olympics and it being dashed out of reach; read Race For The Gold by: Dana Mentink it will show heart brake along with a pain full recovery and getting a second change to try again. Along with that trying to figure out way someone wanted Laney and Max out of the way of going to the Olympics. See how far people will go so someone else can take their place for the Gold.
Wendy Sparkes
Four years ago Laney & Max had just won the World Short-Track Speed Skating Qualifiers. They were on the team to represent the US at the Winter Games. But then they are victims of a hit-and-run. Their dreams are crushed, along with their bodies.

Laney Thompson has managed to fight back and is now again at the venue for the World Short-Track Speed Skating Qualifiers. Her aim: to qualify again for the chance to win gold at the Winter Games.

Max is back again too, but this time as Laney's coach.
D.J.

Ouch! Someone is seriously trying to wreck Laney’s chance at the Olympics!

I have to admit, I wanted to smack Max, when he doubted her. I mean, come on! Does he trust her — or not? Well, I guess I got sucked into the story again. But it’s not difficult when I’m reading great books. One minute I’m sitting on my couch reading — the next minute I’m sliding on the ice, trying to lesson the impact when I slam into the wall in the next few seconds!

Nope; I’ve never skated on ice (I’m not even allowed on
Carol
Aug 15, 2014 Carol rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
On their way to represent the US in the Winter Games, Laney
Thompson and Max Blanco win the Speed Skating Qualifiers.
But nothing goes as planned for out of nowhere a car speeds
into them leaving them lying injured on the road.
Four years later Laney, still challenged from a brain injury is
back to try to qualify again. Max due to a hip injury that keeps
him from skating has become Laney’s coach. But someone is out
to stop Lacey again!!!.
It is amazing to realize just how much time, effort and
commit
Joanie Bruce
May 16, 2014 Joanie Bruce rated it really liked it
This was a fun read. Not knowing anything about the grueling preparations for world-class speed skaters, I enjoyed this book because that aspect was totally interesting to me. It was informative and eye-opening, and I enjoyed learning about the total experience of speed racing.

What I loved: The suspense. Several times I sat on the edge of my seat and said, “Noooo. Don’t go in there!” Ms. Mentink did a good job building tension until you were really concerned for the characters’ safety.

What I did
Pam
Feb 28, 2014 Pam rated it it was amazing
Awesome story of Laney Thompson and Max Blanco as they face the race that will determine if Laney will make the Olympic team or not. Four years before, both had been looking towards making the team when an apparent accident where they were hit by a hit and run driver ruining their changes for speed racing. Laney has recovered and is making the attempt again while Max, who didn't recover enough to skate, acts as her trainer. As things begin to look up, strange things begin happening which make it ...more
Ruth
Dec 28, 2013 Ruth rated it it was amazing
should be a 10 for this one!! Absolutely great!! I love the winter games and the olympics and this is the best book ever on the subject!!! As usual, I missed guessing the bad guys, so you know it was a nail biting suspense when you cant guess from the git-go who did it!!! And the ending was so emotional and inspiring....joyful tears.....Thanks Dana, for another great one...May God continue His blessings on you and thanks so much for sharing your talent!! <3
June
Sep 17, 2014 June rated it really liked it
Shelves: own
Four years ago, just before the race of their lives, Laney and Max were in a hit and run that tried to end their skating careers. Now Laney has a chance again and Max has stayed by her side as her coach. Then unexplainable things start to happen and the past is brought back to life.

Enjoyable story, with the heartbreaking competition of the Olympic speed skating. Very well told story.
JaneReads
Jan 05, 2014 JaneReads rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
The book starts with an accident and this drew me in right away, I wanted to know what happened. I connected with the main characters and wanted things to work out for them. I enjoyed that it was centred around speed skating, I have always liked watching the Olympics especially the skating, so that made drew me to this book. I am glad I picked it up, it was an enjoyable read.
Emily
Double thumbs up for this one! Most unique story-line in a suspense novel that I've read lately. So many different angles that tied up nicely at the end.
Harlequin Books
"As Mentink's characters struggle with failure and trials that test their faith, they remind the reader to make the most of each day (RT Book Reviews)". 4 stars
Ruth Mccurry
Ruth Mccurry rated it it was amazing
Feb 15, 2014
Hannah
Jun 08, 2014 Hannah rated it really liked it
A good story with believable characters and a lot of conflict.
Cindy
Cindy rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2013
Olive Breece
Olive Breece rated it really liked it
Nov 15, 2014
Claudia Rosa
Mar 06, 2014 Claudia Rosa rated it it was amazing
Fantastic!
Maureena
Maureena rated it it was ok
Aug 23, 2014
Sharon Gipson
Sharon Gipson rated it it was amazing
Nov 02, 2016
Elaine Applebury
Elaine Applebury rated it it was amazing
Mar 21, 2015
Beth Reese
Beth Reese rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2015
Cindi
Cindi rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2014
Cathy Daniel
Cathy Daniel rated it really liked it
Jan 21, 2016
Jamie Coleman
Jamie Coleman rated it did not like it
Apr 20, 2014
Madamsncymail.com
Madamsncymail.com rated it liked it
Nov 27, 2015
Olivia
Olivia rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2015
Mskathy1031
Mskathy1031 rated it really liked it
Jan 08, 2014
  • Family in Hiding (Witness Protection #5)
  • The Baby Rescue (Witness Protection #2)
  • Stolen Memories (Witness Protection #3)
  • Wrongly Accused (SWAT: Top Cops #1)
  • Christmas Cover-Up (Family Reunions, #2)
  • No Way Out (The Justice Agency, #3)
  • Defender for Hire (Heroes for Hire, #9)
  • Undercover Marriage (Witness Protection, #6)
  • Guard Duty (Texas K-9 Unit, #3)
  • Treacherous Skies
  • Fatal Secrets  (Protecting the Witnesses , #5)
  • Body of Evidence (Texas Ranger Justice, #2)
202905
Dana Mentink enjoys writing in many different capacities. She currently writes for Harlequin's Love Inspired Suspense, Harlequin Heartwarming and Harvest House Publishers.

Dana is the recipient of a Romantic Times Reviewer's Choice Award and an ACFW Carol Award as well as a Holt Medallion Merit Award winner.

Dana loves feedback from her readers. Contact her via her website at www.danamentink.com.
More about Dana Mentink...