Start by marking “Safe by the Marshal's Side” as Want to Read:
Safe by the Marshal's Side

Safe by the Marshal's Side (Witness Protection #1)

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  939 ratings  ·  74 reviews
HER LIFE IS ON THE LINE

For a year, U.S. marshal Hunter Davis has protected witness Annie Delacorte and her toddler daughter. But now, someone is determined to stop Annie from testifying against the men who killed her husband. To guard Annie, by-the-book Hunter will have to break a promise to himself: to not get emotionally involved. After all, he already cares more deeply
Published January 7th 2014 by Love Inspired (first published November 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Safe by the Marshal's Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Safe by the Marshal's Side

Rhonda

4 STARS

I enjoy reading Shirlee's books. This had good suspense about who was trying to kill the witness. Lots of action, likeable characters, cute kid, doing the right thing even though its hard. Also is a clean romance. I was sorry to see these characters go.

The pace is good, good dialog and action. We are never sure who all to trust. Who is leaking the witness where about.

Annie walked into her house and witnessed her husband's murder and if their gun had not jammed would have died also. Annie
Erik Orrantia
I hate to give one star, but I have to admit that I found the storyline boring and the writing juvenile. I was hoping for some interesting plot twist--none. I was hoping for suspense--none. Sex? None. Instead, I got loosely veiled Christianity pushed down my throat. I really thought there was potential and, if nothing else, there were very few typos or editing errors. But there was lot of head bouncing, constant irritating changes in verb tense, a tendency to skip over what might have been excit ...more
Hannah
This was a nice, innocent story. The writing was good and the characters interesting. It was a quick read and kept me guessing until the end. And the ending was very satisfying!
Ashley Clark
Spoilers!!

This was a flat in my opinion .. Good story but to me the action wasn't much of anything. It never spiked high enough for me.. I was also disappointed in the characters.. If he can take her to church every Sunday then I'm sure he could have made a trip to the park happen more then once.. Hell I'm sure playing in the back hard could have been done.. I know it's just a book but oi.. That really got to me and maybe because I've got kids?? The romance... I know they liked each other throug
Yona
I liked the general idea of the book, but i had some issues with the dialog, but still it was one enjoyable read.
Paula Legate
Hunter and his team are the US. Marshalls that have been protecting Annie, and her precious daughter Sophia for the past year. They have to keep Annie alive and well so she can testify against the two people that killed her husband. Hunter is frustrated that the location to the last two safe houses has been leaked. He wants to trust everyone he works with, but the evidence is there that not everyone can be trusted. Hunter handpicked 4 people he knew he could trust.

The suspense and action was go
Karen Collier
Safe by the Marshal’s Side makes a great start for the Witness Protection continuity series from Harlequin’s Love Inspired Suspense. As a fan of Inspirational Romantic Suspense, I’m hooked, and ready to read through the rest of the series. Happily, the sixth and final book has recently been released, so I can go snag them all for my eReader without delay.

The blend of romance with suspense makes for a fun and lively read. As the story begins, someone has discovered the location of the safe house
Wendy Sparkes
#1 Witness Protection Continuity.

After her husband's murder, Angel Delacorte and her daughter Sophia go into Witness Protection.

Angel (Now Annie Duncan) saw the murderers. The trial is fast approaching, and she is going to testify.

Only someone doesn't want her to testify.

She has been in a safe house for about a year. No one had found her. Until now.

Where is the leak?

Annie has to trust the marshals protecting her to keep her safe ~ only since finding out about the betrayal, lies and gambling add
Theresa
This is a great story. Wish life didn't get in the way so I wouldn't have had to put it down. Lol, FANTASTIC STORY. There was a few things left unanswered but hoping there will be a book to answer those questions. The main ? Is about Josh and Sereina. I loves by get. He is so in control that it kind of make u want to see him loose it. Annie is awesome. No Matter what happens she will do anything to keep her baby safe . That was her husband's last die'n request, so Annie will do it. Even at the c ...more
June
This is going to be a great continuity series and Shirlee McCoy did an awesome job of starting it off. Her books are usually pretty intense and this one follows that pattern..

Hunter is a US Marshal who protects witnesses. Usually it's the criminal that he protects though, so this case of protecting the innocent woman and her child is just a little different for him.

Annie just wants to testify against the men who killed her husband and then get on with her life, and raise her daughter without so
Maritza
Story about a young widow who witnesses her husband's murder and is in Witsig getting ready to testify against the killers. She falls for the head agent in charge, and he also falls for her but maintains distance because you know...it's unprofessional . They are both believers which is nice as well. Overall the book was ok, the suspense and danger were well written...however the ending was abrupt and I felt like something was missing. Perhaps an epilogue that gave a little more closure would've ...more
Janet
Shirlee McCoy writes a superb suspense/romance. What I particularly liked about this offering was that there was such an excellent balance between character development, suspense and romance. This is the first book in a series, and I warn you that there is a mystery that is woven into them all, so do not expect all the loose ends to be tied up in a neat package. The pacing is a bit slow at first, as the characters all all introduced, and as it's a series, there are a lot of diverse and interesti ...more
Katrina Epperson
A wonderful story in the Witness Protection series. We are introduced to Annie Duncan and Hunter Davis who are thrown together after Annie witnesses the murder of her husband. The US Marshals are providing protection for her and her 22 month old daughter until the trial of the suspects. Hunter has moved Annie and Sophia several times, but as the trial date is closer he brings her back to St. Louis. As the case heats up so does the feelings of Annie and Hunter. This is a suspense with a little ro ...more
Faith
Thank you, Ms. McCoy for writing a clean, suspenseful story. There was some romance, but nothing ever went beyond a kiss. The violence was not graphic and the story was very believable. There were a few loose ends left to be wrapped up in the other books in the series, but since it is part of a series, that is understandable, though slightly disappointing. The part I liked best about the book was the fact that the main characters were Christians, but didn't bang you over the head with their Chri ...more
Lacey Black
I really like this book. It was suspenseful and very engaging. Annie is being protected by the US Marshalls and is about to testify against the men who killed her late husband. Hunter is the lead Marshall who is hellbent on protecting Annie and her young daughter. Their attraction is intense and both struggle to work through it. When Annie is free to live her life, will her life involve Hunter? You find out...though this book also ends with a cliffhanger - who is Mr. Big?
Harlequin Books
received 4 stars @ RT Book Reviews
Miniseries: Witness Protection
"Harlequin Reader Reviews
A Stellar Romance
This is the first in a promising new, multi-authored series and what a great introduction! While the suspense is solid, I really enjoyed the emphasis the author placed on the inner turmoil and emotional cost of being in the witness protection program. McCoy has created a relatable heroine who is struggling to hold it all together under impossible odds. Her gradual awareness of Hunter has mor
Harlequin Books
received 4 stars @ RT Book Reviews
Miniseries: Witness Protection
"Harlequin Reader Reviews
A Stellar Romance
Julie
There is nothing stronger than the love a mother feels for her child and you feel the terror of the main character as she tries to keep her child safe in this mystery. I liked the strong characters. It was easy to put myself in the place of Annie in this book and feel what she was feeling. I have read other books by this author and was not disappointed. It was a good read.
Jody
Safe by the Marshal's Side is a love story with lots of danger, a strong handsome marshal named Hunter and a cute and positive woman in witness protection with her daughter Sophia. Annie's husband Joe was killed in their kitchen and she survived when the killer's gun misfired. She did get a good look at both killers and has spent the last year alone with her infant daughter in witness protection. The killers find two safe houses and use scare tactics to work on her not to testify. Even after the ...more
Jeanette
I enjoyed getting to know these characters and found the relationships between each believable. I did find it odd that the story begins with us following the characters through everyday and then all of a sudden it skips 20 days forward as if nothing happened that we need to know about, however during this time period was the trail that the beginning led up to. I would have liked to know more about the trail itself, but I do understand that the trail was not the focus of the story as much as the ...more
Patricia C Robbins
A Modern Fairy Tale

A Modern Fairy Tale

This was a very exciting tender love story. But the main question was never answered. Who was leaking information to Saunders? I guess a sequel is in the works. I'd love to see what becomes of Hunter, Annie, and Sophia.
Rhiannon Overby
This was a good story but nothing terribly special. While I loved both of the main characters, something was just missing. The author put so much work into the beginning of the book and it just feel short and sped through the ending. I was left wanting more at the end of the book and felt disappointed.
Lisa Crenshaw
I was enjoying this read and may have rated it higher, but it ended on a cliffhanger. I felt the story just stopped with too many questions unanswered and the relationship changing too rapidly. The characters bring a whole new storyline but just move on to happily ever after.
Barbara J. Harbison
Great reading

Great reading

I have loved mysteries since reading Sherlock Holmes as a teen. This was a great start to a series. Mystery with a pleasant love touch to it was a great, fun read. Looking forward to the next book in the series.
Norma
Excellent

Excellent

This was a wonderful, clean, and suspenseful story. I loved how the author showed Annie and Hunter working through what they were feeling. I also loved that it was a Christian story as well. I highly recommend this book.
Wilani Wahl
Wow this book was great. I did not want to put it down. It is the first book in a continuing series by Love Inspired of US Marshalls by different authors. I loved, loved, loved, this story. There are still some loose ends that I hope will be cleared up in the next books as this series unfolds.
Patricia Whittington
Exciting page Turner . I couldn't, put this book down. Enjoyed it very much.

I felt this book was well written..I gave Witness Protection five stars because it moved along so well. I would like to read another witness protection book.
Parker Cole
This was a simple quick read. I didn't think it was super suspenseful and the blend of romantic tension was so-so. I did like the lead to the other books but it wasn't spectacular. If you're just looking for something to read, this is good.
Sue
Just okay, good enough to finish but really it was too long in parts and not long enough in others. The suspense pieces were good, but the relationship development slow to the point of painful and a little to "cool" to make you think it was real.
Sandy
Very good story

This is a story that shows God has a plan for us no matter what happens. The characters are so interesting and show how witness protection works. It also shows that crime can be stopped if everyone tries to stop it.
  • Christmas Cover-Up
  • The Baby Rescue
  • Stolen Memories
  • Undercover Marriage
  • No Way Out
  • Montana Reunion (Big Sky Centennial, #.5)
  • Twin Targets  (Protecting the Witnesses, #1)
  • Lone Star Protector (Texas K-9 Unit #6)
  • Top Secret Identity
  • The Prodigal's Christmas Reunion (Rocky Mountain Heirs #6)

Witness Protection (6 books)
  • The Baby Rescue
  • Stolen Memories
  • Top Secret Identity
  • Family in Hiding
  • Undercover Marriage
Running Blind (Heroes for Hire, #3) Undercover Bodyguard (Heroes for Hire, #6) Tracking Justice (Texas K-9 Unit, #1) Fugitive (Heroes for Hire, #8) Navy SEAL Rescuer (Heroes for Hire, #7)