Start by marking “The Swiss Affair” as Want to Read:
The Swiss Affair

The Swiss Affair

3.57 of 5 stars 3.57  ·  rating details  ·  231 ratings  ·  87 reviews
From the highly acclaimed author of The Book of Summers comes a tale of love, lies and innocence lost.

Published January 28th 2014 by Harlequin MIRA (first published September 12th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Swiss Affair, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Swiss Affair

Blair
Okay, so, I didn't really read this properly. I read about half, scanned through most of the rest, and then read the last couple of chapters. The reason I am giving it an I-liked-it rating of three stars anyway is that I don't think I am really the right audience for this book, and I think it would be unfair for me to write a bad review when my problems lie with some of the details of what happens, and not with the author's ability to create atmosphere or tell a story.

The book is set in the Fren
Lindsay (Little Reader Library)
I thought The Book of Summers was a beautifully written debut novel by a gifted new writer, and this captivating second novel by Emylia Hall confirms that talent.

Hadley Dunn is studying English at University, her life quiet and contented, when she discovers there is the opportunity to spend a year abroad in Lausanne, Switzerland. She’s still living happily at home, yet, realising this would be a year of freedom and opportunity for her, she grasps it. There she becomes firm friends with Kristina,
Liz Wilkins
Paperback Publication Date: March 13th 2014 from Headline.

For Hadley Dunn, life so far has been uneventful – no great loves, no searing losses. But that’s before she decides to spend a year studying in the glittering Swiss city of Lausanne, a place that feels alive with promise. Here Hadley meets Kristina, a beautiful but elusive Danish girl, and the two quickly form the strongest of bonds. Yet one November night, as the first snows of winter arrive, tragedy strikes.

I adored “The Book of Summers
Shaz Goodwin
A beautiful prologue about Lausanne and its effect. From the very beginning I felt the magic of this place …

Beginning with Hadley observing a fellow student looking through the brochure for L’Institut Vaudois we find out how Hadley has stayed in her home town for Uni and how inexperienced she is with life. Family is the focus and mainstay for her.

She’s ready for change though and on the brink. Her perceptions are changing as she takes a step out of that ordinary life …

Hall captures the excitemen
Sue1958
I received this book from Good reads first reads.

I really can't say much about this book as it wasn't like anything I was expecting. It just wasn't for me, I tried very hard to get into the story, half way through I started to skim pages and just read the ending.

Its no reflection on the book, its just not my cuppa tea
Kristine
Original review found at http://kristineandterri.blogspot.ca/2...

* I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.*

I had mixed emotions when it came to this book. On one hand, I adored the setting and the description of Lausanne and felt that it was a story in itself. Reading how Hadley viewed the city and landscape was pure pleasure. On the other hand, the story that happens within the beautiful landscape fell a little bit short. I'm not sure if it was meant
Katie
Mar 01, 2015 Katie rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2015
Hadley leaves her simple English life to travel to Lausanne, Switzerland for a year's study abroad. She immediately befriends the beautiful and mysterious, Kristina, and the two embark on a friendship riddled with secrets. When a tragic accident happens the night of Hadley's birthday, Hadley tries to decipher the secrets and make sense of a senseless accident.
This book, apparently somewhat based on Hall's own experiences studying abroad in Lausanne, puts a stunning city on display (I was especia
Jane
I loved Emylia Hall’s first novel, The Book of Summers, so I was always going to be looking out for more of her writing, but I suspect that a lovely title, a beautiful cover, and an intriguing title would have pulled me into this, her second novel, even if I’d had no idea who she was.

This is Hadley’s story. She was in her first year at university, still living at home, and shed had a smooth passage through life. She was bright, she was pretty, she was bookish and she came from a happy family. Bu
Margaret Clark

I picked this book up because it was set in Lausanne - I recently moved to Zurich and so am a sucker for any novel set in my newly-adopted home country. As other reviews have stated, the sweeping descriptions of Lausanne and the rest of Switzerland are the highlights of the book.

Unfortunately, most of the characters don't rise to meet the scenery. The overall plot was fine, the main character a bit boring, but I could not get over how creepy and unbelievably inappropriate it was for a
Amie Gaudet
THE SWISS AFFAIR by Emylia Hall

I received an advance paperback copy of this book for free through the Goodreads Giveaway Program at www.goodreads.com/giveaway
The idea is that authors provide readers with a copy of their book and the reader posts a fair and honest review in exchange. However, a review is not required, but it is appreciated.

Before reading this book I was unaware of the author, Emylia Hall. I have since learned that she has also authored a book called THE BOOK OF SUMMERS which has
Nancy
Friendship, Romance and Tragedy

Hadley Dunn thinks she's perfectly satisfied with her life. She chose to stay at home for university and help her parents care for her baby brother, but when an opportunity to become an exchange student in Lausanne, Switzerland becomes available, she grabs a chance for freedom.

The city immediately captivates her. She meets the other students in her lodging, but doesn't feel particularly drawn to any of them until she meets Kristina, a Danish girl, who has the room
Angela
The Swiss Affair is so many things, wrapped up in beautiful language, distinct and varying characters, and set upon wintery white Lausanne, Switzerland.

While reading, I felt like I WAS Hadley, young British innocent. I was brought back to my university days, with eyes wide and bright, seeing more in people than may have truly been there.... A time and place where anything was possible, adventure abounded, and I lived for luxuriating in every moment.

"There's a phrase in French, you know ... Il
Heidi
English university student Hadley departs on a once in a life time university exchange to the Swiss town of Lausanne. Is she prepared for all of the different people that will cross her path in this beautiful city or will everything prove too much for her?

This is the first Emylia Hall book I have read and it will definitely not be the last! I started reading this novel whilst having my hair cut and to be honest I probably wouldn't have noticed if my hairdresser would have chopped off all of my h
Angela Oatham
Book review for A Heart bent out of Shape by Emylia Hall
(Amazon, Netgalley, Goodreads)

I wasn’t sure about this book to begin with. I found it difficult to believe that Hadley, a girl who hadn’t even left home to go to university, would suddenly decide she wanted to study in Switzerland but before we know it there she is and the book definitely improved with the beautiful descriptions of Lausanne. I haven’t been to the city but I have been to Switzerland and could relate strongly to the settings
Tiff
***Proof review***

You may remember Emylia's name from The Book of Summers (a Richard and Judy Bookclub pick) which I read in August 2012. I loved that book - read it from the Library and then went out and bought my own copy! So I was very excited when I heard Emylia had a new book coming out (thank you Ben for the ARC).

Hadley is spending a year studying abroad. She won a university place at Lausanne, Switzerland and for Hadley it is a fresh start, an adventure and a year full of promise.

In hall
Meg - A Bookish Affair
2.5 stars. "The Swiss Affair" is the story of Hadley who travels to Lausanne, Switzerland during college to study abroad. Hadley is sort of sheltered when the book opens and is instantly swept up with Kristina, her Danish roommate, who seems much more worldly than Kristina. They fall into a fast friendship until suddenly their idyllic life in Switzerland comes to an abrupt halt. This book was a mixed bag for me.

I really liked the setting of the book. You all might know that I really like armchai
Ashleigh
A Heart Bent Out of Shape was definitely a deviation for me when it comes to my reading habits. Usually, I stick to the YA genre, but once in a while I like to dip in to the Adult genre for a change. This time, I chose to read A Heart Bent Out of Shape, which happens to be the first book I’ve been sent through Bookbridgr (which is awesome, by the way).

I’ve never read Emylia’s acclaimed debut novel, The Book of Summers, but I thought that the blurb for A Heart Bent Out of Shape (which was publish
Lindsay
A chance encounter gives Hadley the exciting opportunity to spend a year studying abroad with a twinned university and herein her adventure starts.

What first strikes you is the beautiful surroundings that she arrives in and the author does a brilliant job at conveying the setting. It does just leap off the page to you, so much so you can almost feel the coldness of it all!

Coupled with the incredible setting, Hadley begins to forms new relationships. The unlikeliest of friendships with Hugo, an e
Vox
4.5 stars.

Before we begin, let me say that I loved this book. I hated – HATED – the ending, but in the best way possible.

Hadley is a college sophomore and leading a fairly staid, predictable, if not slightly dull life. She lives at home, where she helps her parents take care of her young brother. It isn’t that life isn’t good; Hadley’s life is almost idyllic to a certain extent. Her parents are happily married, her brother precocious, and she’s one of those people destined to lead a happy life.

W
Angela
I've only just finished the book and I'm feeling at a loss for the right words to describe how warm, comforting and professional this story feels and how agilely the story progresses from timid, homely Hadley applying to go to university in Switzerland to the confident young lady she becomes after being bashed about by life and love.

Hadley is a lovely character and I fell in love with her naivete and pretty personality almost immediately. Fairly quickly into the book we have met all the major pl
Annie
I missed out on Emylia Hall's first novel, The Book of Summers: but I'll most certainly be putting that right in the not-too-distant future because I was absolutely captivated by her second, A Heart Bent Out Of Shape, published by Headline Review on 13th March.

Hadley Dunn - unexceptional in every way, living at home with her family and studying English at a nearby university - gets the opportunity to spend a year studying in Lausanne. Her excitement and enchantment with her new surroundings are
Robyn Koshel
Read as A Heart Bent out of shape in the UK:

A heart bent out of shape is set in Lausanne Switzerland and offers the most breath-taking frosty setting. It is a slow burning mystery with plenty of sub plots. The characters are so beautifully crafted that you are immediately drawn into the story.

Hadley is a true representation of a young woman off on her own in the world alone for the first time. It is also a great depiction of the bonds and friendships that she forms along the way.

A Heart bent ou
Alisha Marie
In which I have immense wanderlust part deux. So, lately I've been reading books about different locations than mine, mainly because I'm so friggin' sick of my current location and really, really, really want to travel. So, in preparation for my travels (or to curb the feeling of wanting to leave now, and now, and NOW!), I keep wanting to read fiction books taking place in different countries. The book, Abroad brought me to Italy and now The Swiss Affair takes me to Switzerland. And man, was I t ...more
Lisa Dess
This is a wonderful coming of age story.

Hadley leaves England to go to Switzerland for an year abroad program for college. What she wanted was an a debenture, something that would broaden her life; what she got was more than she expected.

Throughout the book you can see how Hadley is transforming herself. All the experiences she endures, both positive and negative, help mold her into a stronger person. Hadley went to Switzerland being naive and dull and by the end she matured and became more ad
Tripfiction
LAUSANNE Une Aventure*

Anyone who dreams of a picture book build-up to Christmas should spend December in Switzerland! "In Lausanne's old town, felt-hatted merchants in leather aprons sold brown paper bags of hot chestnuts and cups of spiced wine. Sturdy, apple-cheeked men and women set up their tables in the Place de la Palud, laying out discs of hard cheese, and bouquets of lavender. At nightfall, the frost-licked shopping streets were swept with quiet, perhaps just a blast of music as the door
Stephanie
I love novels that draw you in within the opening pages and A Heart Bent Out of Shape does exactly that. The heroine Hadley is a sympathetic character, initially I felt she was a little too innocent and if I'm being harsh, a bit boring. But her character grows up throughout the novel and I found myself starting to like her more and more as the plot developed.

The story is based on Hadley's year abroad in Switzerland where she sparks a new friendship with her beautiful flatmate Kristina. The two
A.
I was intrigued by this book because of the description: "For Hadley Dunn, life has been predictable and uneventful. But that is before she spends her second year of college abroad in Lausanne, a glamorous Swiss city on the shores of Lake Geneva. Lausanne is imbued with the boundless sense of freedom Hadley has been seeking, and it is here she meets Kristina, a beautiful but mysterious Danish girl. The two bond quickly, but as the first snows of winter arrive, tragedy strikes." (from BookReporte ...more
Amy
Hadley Dunn is a girl from a small, lower middle-class family. She applies to do a year abroad in Lausanne, Switzerland and is surprised and overjoyed when she is accepted. On her first night in Lausanne, Hadley meets several new friends and an attractive American man that ends up being her professor. Then she meets Kristina, a Danish girl who becomes her best friend. Kristina is wild and lovely and she has a secret married lover named Jacques.
Hadley becomes more and more infatuated with her Hem
Mev
* I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway*

To start off with this book was VERY descriptive and I am not exaggerating while saying that I think out of all the books I have ever read this was one of the most descriptive ones.I had no problem with the description I believe I just wasn't the right audience for this book as I didn't connect with it. I really had to force myself to finish reading the book, there were part of the story that I found a bit interesting but that was all. The reas
  • You Belong To Me
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • Disclaimer
  • Watching Over You
  • The Future for Curious People: A Novel
  • The First Time We Met (Oxford Blue, #1)
  • La felicidad es un té contigo
  • Vienna Nocturne
  • Every Boy Should Have a Man
  • Dream a Little Dream
  • A Dangerous Affair (Liberty Lane, #2)
  • Light Shining In The Forest
  • The Crooked House
  • Dying For Christmas
The Book of Summers Het boek van de zomers The Sea Between Us Mein Sommer am See: Roman Too Much Too Young