Exit Ramp: A Short Case Study of the Profitability of Panhandling

Exit Ramp: A Short Case Study of the Profitability of Panhandling

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  34 ratings  ·  6 reviews
Have you ever wondered how much that guy with the cardboard sign makes?

One economics student did and he decided to find out. During the summer of his senior year at college, while earning a B.A. in Economics and Political Science, David P. Spears spent eighty hours undercover as a panhandler. Systematically recording every transaction at the exit ramp, Spears captured a ra...more
Published August 15th 2013 by Madison Street Publishing (first published August 6th 2013)

To ask other readers questions about Exit Ramp, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Exit Ramp

M.
Aug 20, 2013 M. rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2013
David
While I like the idea of this book (posing as a panhandler to see how profitable the practice actually is), I think it would have made a better socioeconomic research whitepaper. The chronology of the day-to-day interactions were kinda dull (except for the marine that was going to punch him in the face if he didn't back up his veteran-branded cardboard sign with some actual military bona fides).

The author concludes that panhandling is more profitable than minimum wage employment. He goes on to...more
Austin Storm
Very nice, answers its single question well and with style. Maybe even too much style, but when you're writing an economic case study better to err on that side. I think ultimately sociological studies may prove more interesting than economic ones in this area.

I've only known one former panhandler, and he averaged quite a bit higher than the author. The reasons for his continued panhandling were how challenging it was to find a job, and how much more profitable panhandling was. Similar reasons,...more
Janna Thorsen
A short read and it is very interesting. It answered some questions that I has always wondered about. However, it raised more questions that I would love to have answers to as well. Worth reading. I love that it is based on an exit ramp that I have actually driven past several times.
Jacob O'connor
This was very short but very good. His sample was too small to draw too firm a conclusion, but it was fun to think about.
Lauren
Thought-provoking.
Kat
Kat added it
Aug 03, 2014
Anders Bogsnes
Anders Bogsnes is currently reading it
Jul 11, 2014
Irishlluv
Irishlluv marked it as to-read
May 13, 2014
Jolie
Jolie marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2014