Start by marking “The Last Straw” as Want to Read:
The Last Straw

The Last Straw

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  1 Rating  ·  0 Reviews
Ally Tobin left New York after one too many bad dates, determined to rebuild a stable life and career as a private investigator in Silicon Valley. But when the man she knew as one name walks into her office with another, will her curiosity once again lead her to risk her heart?

The last thing Special Agent Jared Green needs is "security risk" stamped on the resume of his l
ebook, First, 45 pages
Published July 23rd 2013 by The Wild Rose Press

To ask other readers questions about The Last Straw, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Straw

Dianne
Oct 03, 2013 Dianne rated it really liked it
Here’s another of those “good reads when you probably don’t have time to read,” gems. The Last Straw by Nia Simone has a lot going for it in just a few pages, a little corporate intrigue, a shared past between the two main characters that ended badly, a reunion a year later, and…well, you’ll have to read it to find out!
Nia Simone created enough background to understand the conflict, had some fantastic banter between the two main characters and kept the focus on them the entire time, keeping any
My Book Addiction and More MBA
Ally decided to move to California from New York after her boyfriend left her without so much as a phone call. Ally, now working as a PI had a folder on her desk with the face of the man she loved, but with a different name. Jared, an undercover FBI agent wanted nothing more than to get Ally back into his life. He would need to earn her trust, all while trying to not get made as an undercover agent.

This book was a well written short story. I wanted to like it more, but with it being about 45 pag
Cynthia Harrison
Oct 04, 2013 Cynthia Harrison rated it it was amazing
Okay, Ms. Simone, write more stories. ASAP. Because Jared and Ally are just so fun and they are made for each other. They have a history of hot love and both fake things for a living, Ally as a PI and Jared as a special agent. The one thing they can't fake is their love for each other. Ally tries to resist Jared the second time he wheels into her heart, but it's tough. "Whip me, spank me, make me write bad checks" she moans to her BFF, sure she will not be able to resist Jared a second time. ...more
Barb Han
Sep 17, 2013 Barb Han rated it it was amazing
The sexual tension sizzles in this quick, but fulfilling read. Jared may have disappeared leaving Ally feeling bitter, but his return fills her with all sorts of emotions she'd rather quash. I love the characters in this novella. The story kept me reading to the last page. It's a sweet read that sizzles in all the right places.
Pilot210
Jul 29, 2013 Pilot210 rated it it was amazing
A fast paced, steamy story with suspense, strong characters, and a believable romance. With a sexy, smart, and independent female high tech investigator and a hot male FBI agent, this tale sizzles. Quick, witty, and funny dialog makes the journey most enjoyable. Think Silicon Valley meets "The Big Sleep". A great read from a new talent.
Robena Grant
Sep 20, 2013 Robena Grant rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this read. The right combination of romance and suspense. I don't read a lot of novellas because I generally like a longer story, but this one was great. Excellent pacing and a non-rushed ending. I'm looking forward to more from this author.
Sheri J Kennedy
Aug 14, 2014 Sheri J Kennedy rated it it was amazing
The Last Straw is a smart and sexy romance full of the conflict between dignity and vulnerability so prevalent in modern relationships. Nia Simone masterfully forges a hot dance of two relatable and equally strong characters. They are consumed by desire and see the flickering of love but fear getting burned. Ally’s been fried before, by this very man under another name. There’s no reason she should trust him again. Or is there?
The reader can feel their resolve against Jared eking away along wit
Chrys Fey
Jul 29, 2016 Chrys Fey rated it really liked it
The Last Straw was intriguing from the first page. Who exactly is Mark Daily, AKA Darren Ray, and what happened between him and Ally?

Nia Simone is an excellent storyteller. The Last Straw is written with a level of perfection you expect from NYT bestselling authors. And her characters are so well developed they seem real. I truly enjoyed the interactions with the characters and the sweet romance. Every few lines I read something that made me smile or laugh, which was a pleasant bonus. 4.5 stars!
Berlygrl
Sep 26, 2013 Berlygrl rated it it was ok
Stopped reading it at 87%. Just couldn't stand the dialogue anymore. Some of the dialogue didn't even make sense and was somewhat cheesy. And that was at THE part I waited for throughout the story. Ah well.
C.J.
Sep 19, 2013 C.J. rated it it was ok
Sweet short read. The pace of the story was good but then came to its conclusion rather abruptly which ruined the flow for me.
Jen_C
I debated between 2-1/2 to 3 stars. I like some parts but some of the dialogue was a bit cheesy and overall it was a bit disjointed.
Elaine Cantrell
Oct 01, 2013 Elaine Cantrell rated it really liked it
It was a cute story, but it is a short novella, not a full length novel.i wanted there to be more.
Betsy Harmon
Betsy Harmon rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2013
Emily
Emily rated it did not like it
Sep 29, 2013
Rosanny
Rosanny rated it liked it
Dec 13, 2013
Georgie Tyler
Georgie Tyler rated it it was ok
May 15, 2014
Deb Diem
Deb Diem rated it liked it
Oct 09, 2013
Jess
Jess rated it it was ok
Oct 09, 2014
Anne
Anne rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Laura McKellips
Laura McKellips rated it really liked it
Sep 24, 2013
Teresa
Teresa rated it really liked it
Nov 22, 2016
Sharon
Sharon rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2014
Amber Anderson
Amber Anderson rated it it was ok
Sep 29, 2013
J.L. Sheppard
J.L. Sheppard rated it it was amazing
Sep 18, 2013
Traci De carlo
Traci De carlo rated it it was amazing
Dec 25, 2013
Liza
Liza rated it really liked it
Sep 19, 2013
Barbara
Barbara rated it liked it
Nov 25, 2013
Chelsea
Chelsea rated it liked it
Oct 10, 2013
Ang
Oct 17, 2013 Ang rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary
A good 2nd chance novella.
Christy
Christy rated it liked it
Oct 24, 2013
Nia Simone grew up on the side of a ski slope in Squaw Valley, USA. Later, while learning the craft of story writing, she worked in nonprofit and high-tech.

The idea for The The Last Straw came from a magazine article about a woman PI who had her own company doing employee background checks. Nia tore out the article, tacked it on her bulletin board, wrote a story for her and then set it aside. But
More about Nia Simone...