Start by marking “Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin, #13)” as Want to Read:
Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin, #13)

Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate (Agatha Raisin #13)

3.79  ·  Rating Details ·  3,486 Ratings  ·  216 Reviews
Wretched after being dumped by her husband, bored with pottering about Carsely, and wishing every man would sod off, including her neighbor John Armitage, Agatha Raisin is unmoved by news of the captivating new curate. But when she meets the golden-haired, blue-eyed Tristan Delon, she is swept off her feet...along with nearly every other female in the village. Wrapped in b ...more
Published October 17th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published March 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Agatha Raisin and the Case of the Curious Curate

Nancy
Dec 02, 2011 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
For me, the actual murder in the Agatha Raisin books is secondary to the ongoing of the characters involved. With each book you pick up, Agatha finds herself embroiled in another domestic situation, with it being either her missing almost ex-husband James, the new neighbor – which is always an attractive man, Bill Wong – her favorite policeman, or my favorite Mrs. Bloxby. A perfect counterbalance to Agatha, who always keeps things in perspective and possesses the perfect words of wisdom that Aga ...more
Tasneem
I love Agatha Raisin. She is so funny and she goes through men at such a rate. The curate turns out to be such a dreadful man and the murder was not unexpected. Just found the killer a bit of a surprise. I loved the interaction with Bill Wong though and it was funny to see her destroy the relationship with John Armitage.

I just enjoyed the descriptions of village life, of the Morris dancing turning into a brawl, of the duck races, of the organisations of village affairs. The books are delightful,
Yvonne
Jun 28, 2015 Yvonne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin is terribly bored these days. Her husband has deserted her and her dear friend Charles is living his own life. Her neighbor John insulted her and she’s absolutely through with men. She’s not the least bit interested when the vicar’s wife tells her about the new curate, Tristan Delon. The women of Carsely are all falling head over heels for the handsome guy, but Agatha couldn’t care less. Or could she?

When Tristan invites her to dinner, Agatha is thrilled. At the same time, she real
Gerry
Jul 11, 2016 Gerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Unfortunately for the curious curate, he doesn't last long. He makes a quick impression on Agatha, who was determined not to be falling in love again, but with his golden hair and blue eyes he knocks her off her feet. He wines and dines her and then (by page 24) he is dead and Agatha is once more on the list of suspects for the dirty deed.

However, her friend Sergeant Bill Wong is soon assured that she had nothing whatsoever to do with his death and he begins his investigation with his boss Super
The Flooze
Apr 24, 2016 The Flooze rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Agatha Raisin: curious, self-conscious, bossy, formidable, always on the lookout for love, and more than willing to do her bit for the people she's taken a liking to.

This time, her desire to help Mrs. Bloxby's husband clear his name leads her down a very dangerous path, indeed. Murders are happening right and left in Carsley. But no matter how many times our Agatha gets frightened or weary, she always rallies. Her pride won't let her give up.

It's funny how I feel I've learned more about Agatha
Cyndi
Oct 30, 2016 Cyndi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books so far! Books without James are great. The new neighbor is actually interested in her, but she rebuffs him. Looks like she's taking some time to get to know herself. Good for you, Aggie!
Berit☀️✨
Oct 31, 2016 Berit☀️✨ rated it really liked it
Really all the women of this village should stay away from any man who moves in, he is generally bad news....
Lots of killing in this one, three murders in total..... all starting with the very attractive new Clarit.... this time Agatha with the help of a neighbor John a mystery writer begins to solve the mystery.... there was a super funny scene in this book at the duck races where the dancers had too much to drink and started a brawl with their sticks, laugh out loud moment!
Emily Cullen
Sep 02, 2015 Emily Cullen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A most beautiful man becomes a curate for the church and ends up dead. The vicar is a suspect and the vicar's wife asks Agatha Raisin to once again investigate. This book was really fun with the irascible, sometimes lovable Mrs. Raisin and her handsome neighbor playing detective. The Agatha Raisin mystery series by M.C. Beaton is always good but this one was excellent!
Maria
This is the second Agatha Raisin I've listened to on audio book, which takes place prior to the first one I read (I'm going to go in order from now on), before she opens her detective agency, and is just a bossy busybody who wants all the praise and glory for herself. She blunders along, following every whim and idea that pops into her head. Eventually, if you follow every imaginable thread, you will find the right one, which is sort of what happens.

I'm not impressed with how she intelligently
Pinky
Feb 14, 2017 Pinky rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-17
I love how MC Beaton is able to weave local and historical cultural information into these Agatha Raisin mysteries. I especially enjoyed the duck races and the Morris dancers getting totally tanked on the homemade wine and the moment that Bill Wong discovered Agatha hiding in a suit of armor and covered for her. Mrs. Bloxby was in the thick of this one, too. Wonder what's going to happen next with John Armitage and Sir Charles? Interesting potential love triangle there.
Kim
Jan 17, 2017 Kim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another audiobook, I am certainly hooked on these things.

A fun romp with Agatha and the gang. I think the characters are very static and at timesome, predictable to the point of shouting at the radio, but they are good fun and I enjoy them. They make work feel much faster and more enjoyable.
Sharron
Feb 12, 2017 Sharron rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listening to Penelope Keith narrate another Agatha Raisin story is not unlike an afternoon of binge watching a favorite BBC mystery series. Whether it's a Miss Marple, George Gently, New Tricks, or The Last Detective, it's less about the plot and more about the cast of characters.
mari dewitt
Feb 19, 2017 mari dewitt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun story!
Jan1243
My first Agatha Raisin mystery. I found her s little too caustic...
Susan
Feb 20, 2017 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Crazy agatha Raisin always getting into the middle of murder! Gotta love her.
ReadinginmyRoom
Una mas de las divertidas aventuras de esta particular detective aficionada de la campiña inglesa. Muy entretenido como los demás, para pasar un rato agradable con la peculiar Agatha Raisin.
Gilbert G.
Jan 22, 2017 Gilbert G. rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Always fun, a little tedious when it comes to the Men she falls in love with! Will she ever find the love of her life??? I hope so, poor thing
Jan
Dec 13, 2016 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to
Up to the usual standard - very amusing
Jenny
Jan 12, 2017 Jenny rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
very good book i love agatha raisin and i cant wait to read more
Sue
Jan 05, 2017 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really enjoyed this book. I love Agatha, they are so easy to read and contain lots of laughs and murder seems to follow Agatha around. This book was about the murder of Tristan the new curate to the village who was packing the church out by his good looks but Tristan is not what he seems. After Tristan is murdered Agatha finds out that he has a darker side to him where he lies and tries to blackmail people. During Agatha's investigation's along with some help from her new neighbour John who is n ...more
Rosemary Orme
Jan 28, 2017 Rosemary Orme rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Agatha Raisin is such a refreshing change. She's pragmatic and vulgar, mad for eligible men but never without a witty put down. Sharing in her zany world is pure escapism.
Erica Lundstrom
Oct 07, 2016 Erica Lundstrom rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Agatha! The books are getting better it seems.
Sheila
Jan 04, 2017 Sheila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I always enjoy Agatha. When the new church curate is murdered, Agatha and James are on the case.
Cornerofmadness
Jan 17, 2016 Cornerofmadness rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery
Sam Wilkinson
Another fun Agatha Raisin book.
The Badger
I have an affinity for cozy mysteries. They generally aren't written in pursuit of a spot on the bestseller list; rather, cozies are written to give the reader a sense of comfort and calm (ironically, by way of murder).

My mom read cozies to escape her three eccentric young daughters and grumpy husband: one daughter, the artist, painted five-foot tall green flowers on the side of the freshly painted rental when she was four; the adventurous daughter asked which way north was, and was found by ne
Darlene
Oh, Aggie! Will she ever learn? I loved her new attitude in the last installment, Agatha Raisin and the Day the Floods Came. In the 13th book of the Agatha Raisin series, she is back to chasing men and this time it is the Adonis-like hunky curate who is assisting the vicar, Alf Bloxby. She is delighted to capture his attention, but the budding romance is short-lived when he turns up dead. The men in Agatha’s life just have the worst luck, don’t they? Agatha’s new neighbour who we met in the last ...more
Dolly
Jun 07, 2013 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: mystery fans
This is the 13th book in the Agatha Raisin series by M.C. Beaton. The plot centers on Agatha's investigations of the death of the new curate in town, who was a very odd, but beautiful and highly sought-after man. Once again, Aggie places herself in dangerous situations and makes mistakes by the nines, but she seems to be taking herself more seriously as a detective.

At the beginning of this story, both James Lacey and Charles Fraith were out of the picture, so Agatha turns to her neighbor, John A
Beth
Finally in this book, Agatha Raisin is back in action as she was in the first few books in the series. I had grown tired of Agatha's relationship with neighbor James, especially after they married. With this book, Agatha finally seems to be moving past James and becoming more like the independent, confident woman she is when investigating a murder. In this book, there end up being three murders to investigate. The story mostly took place in the village of Carsley. Nice to be back on home turf ag ...more
Julie
Dec 11, 2016 Julie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun mystery with Agatha Raisin and neighbor John Armitage; the handsome curate is not as beautiful on the inside, and ends up dead after dinner with Agatha.
  • Sick of Shadows (Edwardian Murder Mysteries, #3)
  • Evan and Elle  (Constable Evans, #4)
  • Auntie Mayhem (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #9)
  • Death on the Downs (Fethering, #2)
  • Requiem for a Mezzo (Daisy Dalrymple, #3)
  • Mrs. Jeffries Speaks Her Mind (Mrs. Jeffries, #27)
  • The Hand That Rocks the Ladle (Pennsylvania Dutch Mystery, #8)
  • Death of the Party (Death on Demand, #16)
  • The Fugitive King (Professor Simon Shaw, #3)
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
Like her on Facebook!

Learn more on her website!

Watch a video of Marion discussing the casting of the AGATHA RAISIN Christmas special

Marion Chesney Gibbons

Marion Chesney was born on 1936 in Glasgow, Scotland, UK, and started her first job as a bookseller in charge of the fiction department in John
More about M.C. Beaton...

Agatha Raisin (1 - 10 of 28 books)
  • The Quiche of Death (Agatha Raisin, #1)
  • The Vicious Vet (Agatha Raisin, #2)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Potted Gardener (Agatha Raisin, #3)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Walkers of Dembley (Agatha Raisin, #4)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Murderous Marriage (Agatha Raisin, #5)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Terrible Tourist (Agatha Raisin, #6)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wellspring of Death (Agatha Raisin, #7)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin, #8)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Witch of Wyckhadden (Agatha Raisin, #9)
  • Agatha Raisin and the Fairies of Fryfam (Agatha Raisin, #10)