Start by marking “My Name is Amelia, and I'm a Sociopath” as Want to Read:
My Name is Amelia, and I'm a Sociopath

My Name is Amelia, and I'm a Sociopath

2.76 of 5 stars 2.76  ·  rating details  ·  70 ratings  ·  15 reviews
For nearly a decade, a novelist wrote gripping, scandalous, and often disturbing fiction using her life as a canvas and herself as the protagonist in a massive web of lies.

In this revealing memoir by author Amy D. Brooks, the complex untruths told by the young woman to disguise a tragic mental state declining into drug addiction and alcoholism are deconstructed in shockin
Published June 27th 2013 by Lulu.com (first published January 1st 2013)

To ask other readers questions about My Name is Amelia, and I'm a Sociopath, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Name is Amelia, and I'm a Sociopath

SweetAnnie
Wow

I have been a dedicated memoir reader since adolescence, reading anything classified as a memoir- whether it was written by a famous person or by a "regular" guy. Never have I read anything so honest and moving.

I would recommend this book to many different types of people- teenagers just starting out on their own in the world, anyone living with addiction, or anyone who loves someone who is living with addiction.

I admire Amy Brooks for her brutal honesty, even when it was unpretty...I know "n
Karen
This is a book full of what are referred to in recovery circles like AA and Al-Anon as "war stories." The exact type people in recovery are discouraged from rattling off at meetings, for the reason that they accomplish exactly nothing. This is what I was left feeling at times in this book. The stories are graphic and descriptive but left me with so many questions - she never gets to the "why" of her pathological lying and drug abuse. She mentions her father's suicide, her mother's distracted nat ...more
ken piela
Sometimes hard to believe

Not a well written book.Seemed to be unbelievable as times, places and stories didn't always make sense.Save your money.I'm glad I borrowed this book
Kristin
Entertaining and infuriating at the same time. You cannot help but loathe the author after reading this book. I think that she should have mentioned her husband more, and how he could have possibly dealt with her. Also, I have a suspicion that most of this book is bs.
BECKY THOMPSON
Powerful,moving story

this is a brutally honest account of the dark road addiction takes you down. I hope this young woman is,able to stay clean and sober.
Marlene
At the end... "I'm not a sociopath, I'm an alcoholic." I'm sorry this does NOT explain the fraud, the lies,the heroin, the internet sex starting at age 13. This chick has SOMETHING seriously wrong upstairs and she finds "god" and rolls it all off on booze? I am an alcoholic too and I am VERY glad she found sobriety.. but this story felt rushed and full of simplistic answers for me. It is not good writing in the least and my final thought is that I don't care, I just hope this writer stays away f ...more
Lottaquixotic
The poor reviews baffle me. This was a fascinating personal story and well written. Most of what we read contains its' imperfections, but even with those minor distractions, Ms. Brooks' writing is definitely enjoyable. I had trouble putting this one down, which I can not say for the multitude of books that collect their virtual dust in my digital library. Kudos for the courage to be transparent among the tribes of the self-righteous and unmerciful, Amy. Your story is a worthy read. I look forwar ...more
Marjorie
Given To Me For An Honest Review

This book is about a young woman who is plague by serious mental illness along with alcohol and drug abuse. She is able to work and obtain things without any valid proof of experience or education. Which is amazing how she does it. This story follows her through her lowest lows and through her healing. Good Read.
Tammy Finch
This was a good read. It's about a poor lady who hits bottom several times because of her addiction and finally, on the verge of death, seeks help. 85% of the book is her story of drug and alcohol abuse and some is pretty graphic. This was well written and kept my interest. I would recommend it. I'll probably read more from this author.
Ranui Robertson
Read this and was really into it at the beginning! And then it was a bit repetitive and boring.
It was just drugs drugs more drugs, drugs drugs. It got quite boring and the interesting part about her many personalities sort of faded.

I would recommend it and wouldn't read another of hers.

Not great. Not good. Drugs drugs drugs.
Jenny Buchta
I skipped the entire epilogue when Amy started talking about her sobriety in terms of years. It is currently July 2013 and has barely been a single year.

This book just wasn't what I thought it would be. Very disappointed. Kind of wanted to smack the author upside her head for how smug she was about herself even at the end.
Fang Chen
“My Name is Amelia and I'm a Sociopath” revealed the author told a great many lies, more than I would have thought possible, and had a drug, alcohol, and fidelity problem. A self professed sociopath, she is not a very likable character. It was hard for me to read this to the end when I had no sympathy for her.
Jonathan
There is a ton of potential here. The author's life seems to teem with curious sexual, spiritual, ethical, and historical configuration. An editor will clean this up and make for an easier read.
Erica
I spent most of this book pacing the floor exclaiming "She did what?!!" and then texting people about how insane her life is. Not the most literary book ever but interesting and stimulating.
Sarz
Took me ages to get through as a lot of it was repetitive... But it was well written and at times quite interesting.
Kendra
Kendra marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
Stacie
Stacie marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2014
m.base.trick
m.base.trick marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Jennifer Varnadore
Jennifer Varnadore marked it as to-read
Sep 16, 2014
Lorenzo
Lorenzo marked it as to-read
Sep 13, 2014