Start by marking “Untamed” as Want to Read:
Untamed

Untamed

Joining the team of hunters and trackers searching for matokeo ya utafut
Published August 6th 2013 by Diversion Books

To ask other readers questions about Untamed, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Untamed

Stacia (the 2010 club)
2.5 stars. WHY?!?!!!? I wish I could convey how much I wanted to love this book. A Tarzan retelling? I was so in! I was looking forward to seeing the interaction between Tarzan and Jane, and wanted to witness how a "civilized" woman dealt with an "untamed" man.

Trigger warning : dubious consent (polite term for rapey w/only partial or belated submission from a character). The scene appears to be written from a standpoint of 'character ignorance' because the offender didn't have a clear understan
Claire Robinson
Jul 21, 2013 Claire Robinson rated it it was ok
2.5 Stars.

I was really looking forward to reading this book, I have loved the story of Tarzan since childhood, and the chance of reading a grown up version of it had me in a tizzy.

Unfortunately, I cannot say that the book did it's synopsis justice at all. The writing is good, but this is a book more about early 1900 society and its nuances and not really about a man/boy discovered living with apes in the African jungle.

To be constructive and explain the above my main issues are listed below -

•A

Romance ~ 4 Stars
Heat Level ~ 2.5 Stars
Ending ~ 4 Stars
Overall Rating ~ 4 Stars

I was pleasantly surprised by this retelling of Tarzan and enjoyed reading this book very much.

The story has been done many of times, but I felt this one had an originality that added to both the hero and heroine, Zan and Arianna's characters. I loved them both and the MANY of other characters that were introduced
Mei .
Jul 09, 2013 Mei . rated it liked it
I always think that the first chapter of a book can make or break a book. The first chapter is what will draw the readers in. It's the chapter to captivate, to enchant, to make readers an addict to the story. A little pity that the first chapter of Untamed fell short. It could break the book. The conversations were boring & far from engaging. It doesn't say much of Ari's character. I found myself feeling disappointed.

There's so much potential on the plot. I pressed on, to move beyond Chapter
Brianna Soloski
Aug 21, 2016 Brianna Soloski rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Title: Untamed Author: Jane Shoup Publisher: Diversion Books Rating: 4/5 stars Format: Kindle

Inside Scoop (what the story’s about): A love too strong to be tamed: the true story of Tarzan, and the woman who loved him. In 1908, on a mission to find a new breed of ape in central Africa, an unfathomable thing is discovered – a wild, white man, living amongst gorillas. Local villagers call him matokeo ya utafutaji kwa, the untamed one. Joining the team of hunters and trackers searching for matokeo y
Betty-Braden
Aug 01, 2013 Betty-Braden rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebook, netgalley
(I received an ARC copy of this book courtesy of Netgalley)

"A love too strong to be tamed: the true story of Tarzan, and the woman who loved him.

Joining the team of hunters and trackers searching for matokeo ya utafutaji kwa is Arianna Day, the 21-year-old niece of the expedition’s
Kristin
Jul 15, 2013 Kristin rated it liked it
Ari and her uncle travel to Africa in hopes that they will be able to locate the wild man who's been living in the jungle for the majority of his life. The only problem is, they have no idea that the second they stepped into the jungle, the wild one was watching them... Ari to be precise.

I was extremely excited to read this story. I've never read a re-telling of Tarzan before and this story sounded like a good one. You see, they capture the wild one, teach him how to be civilized and introduce
Mara
Jul 14, 2013 Mara marked it as dnf
Shelves: romance, historical, arc
Any romance featuring Tarzan and Jane (here called Zan and Ari) must face a tough competition from plenty of books and movies. And don't forget cartoons :).

I can't fault Ms Shoup too much then if this book wasn't able to sustain my interest.

I was willing to be transported by the usual magic. Unfortunately I could not feel it.

I am character-centric and here I was totally unimpressed by the heroine. (Up to 30% of the book the hero was notably absent, except at the beginning.)

Ari is supposed to be
Dawn
Sep 08, 2013 Dawn rated it liked it
Untamed is a Tarzan story and it starts out exciting and adventurous with a trek to Africa, finding the untamed, and his taking of Arianna.

What ensues is the kind of love we all dream about. Both Ari and Zan would do anything to ensure the other’s happiness even if it means sacrificing their own.

Ari’s character was well developed and I found myself crying along with her. I did find myself wanting to know more about Zan. He seemed to be a complex and intelligent man but all you’re given in the st
Katie(babs)
Jul 03, 2013 Katie(babs) rated it did not like it
This book was a big big disappointment. The beginning has promise but then goes down hill fast. The one love scene in the entire book is more of a forced one, more like a rape, although "Jane" submits for no reason. it was very jarring and didn't make any sense. Then it comes out that Jane was once married for a hot minute, and that reason why she was married didn't make any sense either. Also,our "Tarzan and Jane" are separated throughout the entire novel. Even when our couple get together, ...more
Hayley
Aug 13, 2013 Hayley rated it it was amazing
The novel, Untamed, is a story that hasn't been written in a while, if ever. Though based on the real story of Tarzan, you find yourself discovering new and interesting characters and plots. This is not a predictable read. I fell in love with Zan and more than anything, I loved that Jane Shoup's portrayal of an "untamed" man in England at the time is more honest and captivating than anything. He goes through dark and confused emotions as anyone would after leaving the wild for society. Shoup ...more
Haley
Jul 27, 2016 Haley rated it really liked it
Loved this book. Until the end would have loved to have seen more interaction with the two main characters.
Allyson Cates
Allyson Cates rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2013
Alexaic
Alexaic rated it it was ok
Apr 04, 2014
Annette Reil
Annette Reil rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Rachel
Rachel rated it really liked it
Feb 22, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2013
Jewel
Aug 02, 2013 Jewel marked it as abandoned-forever
Shelves: netgally
DNF.
Diversion Books
Diversion Books rated it it was amazing
Jul 03, 2013
Heeta
Heeta rated it did not like it
Aug 01, 2016
Mackenzie Cates
Mackenzie Cates rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2013
Amanda Russell
Amanda Russell rated it it was amazing
May 09, 2014
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Shirley Rucker
Shirley Rucker marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
MissyGirl
MissyGirl marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2013
Michelle [Helen Geek]
Michelle [Helen Geek] marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2013
Angel
Angel added it
Jul 31, 2013
Lizzie
Lizzie marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Megan Sanchez
Megan Sanchez marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2013
Coryna
Coryna marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Aisha Oaktree
Aisha Oaktree marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2013
Alis
Alis added it
Aug 08, 2013
Shera (Book Whispers)
Shera (Book Whispers) marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2013
Madelana
Madelana marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2013
Mira syalalalalaaa
Mira syalalalalaaa marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2013
Nicole Johnston
Nicole Johnston marked it as to-read
Jaime
Jaime marked it as to-read
Tracy Decresie
Tracy Decresie marked it as to-read
Marie Andersson
Marie Andersson marked it as to-read
Brenda Knight
Brenda Knight marked it as to-read
SheReadsALot
SheReadsALot marked it as to-read
Aug 31, 2013
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2013
Tam Cooke
Tam Cooke marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2013
Silent
Silent marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2013
Aimee Wickham
Aimee Wickham marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Jazz
Jazz marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2013
Blanca
Blanca marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2013
Writer, mother, grandmother, daughter, etc. I'm the matriarch of my family so I'll never just wear one hat. I long for the day the description can begin with the words 'best selling author.' That's the dream. I've made the decision to resign my day job to pursue it. Only a few weeks until freedom!

For the last twenty something years, Greensboro, NC has been my home. While I'm an Indiana girl at hea
More about Jane Shoup...