Start by marking “Jasper John Dooley: Not in Love (Jasper John Dooley, #3)” as Want to Read:
Jasper John Dooley: Not in Love (Jasper John Dooley, #3)

Jasper John Dooley: Not in Love (Jasper John Dooley #3)

Isabel loves Jasper, and it's making life complicated. He just wants to play knights and dragons with Ori and Leon, but Isabel makes him play babies and tries to set up their wedding. The only good thing about Isabel is the trampoline at her house. But will the highs of their trampoline playdates be enough to cure Jasper's girl-itis? Jasper John Dooley: NOT in Love is the ...more
Published March 1st 2014 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about Jasper John Dooley, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jasper John Dooley

Kelley
Mar 25, 2014 Kelley rated it really liked it
Novel received courtesy of Goodreads.com giveaway

I had not read any of the "Jasper John Dooley" books before. I'm so glad that I won this one and I'll be buying more for my grandsons. As a teacher, it's difficult to find books for 1st-3rd grade. This series will fill a gap that need to be filled.

Jasper John and his friends are such well-written, believable characters; from their games on the playground to their families and play dates. I was happy to find some humor thrown in by Jasper's parents
Cat
Sep 27, 2014 Cat rated it liked it
First of all, this little girl Isabel is a stalker/psychopath in training. That girl has major issues with not taking a hint. Super scary. Also I feel bad for Jasper being forced into a marriage that he is not interested in and for Ori and his issues with self-confidence in being left out of the mix. Holy Cow. I kind of want to own this book just so I can share it with all of my friends.
Jason
Apr 18, 2014 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
funny and clever-reads like a child would write if if they had the vocabulary and writing skills.
Marilyn
Feb 24, 2014 Marilyn rated it it was amazing
Man what is a guy to do when a girl targets you, is in love with you and even wants to marry you? It sure can mess up your life if you are an early grade schooler. All you want to do is play with your best friends, Ori, Leon and Paul C., slaying dragons at recess not be dragged into marriage.

Jasper has a real girl problem on his hands and is trying to find a way to solve it. Isabel, a classmate, is smitten by him and wants to play babies with him a recess and is even planning their wedding. Poo
Mairéad (is roaming the Undying Lands)
***I received this book from a GR giveaway.***

3.5 Stars

This was a rather cute and fun read. Although it's the 3rd book of the Jasper John Dooley series, I could follow the story relativity well. The writing is easy to comprehend and read if you're in the grades 1-3, which is nice. And it allowed me to think about to my own childhood at that age again for the memories.

Jasper John Dooley has a problem--a girl problem. He wants to play knights and slay the dragon but the girls want to play babies.
Katie Fitzgerald
Jasper John Dooley doesn't like Isabel. She is always licking him, asking him to get married, and forcing him to pretend to be her baby. Jasper John finds himself in a moral quandary when he learns how much he loves jumping on Isabel's trampoline, and he must decide whether it's worth getting along with her if it means he can use her stuff.

This third book in the Jasper John Dooley series, following Star of the Week (2012) and Left Behind (2013), is the best one yet. Every character, from Isabel'
Carol
Sep 20, 2014 Carol rated it really liked it
Jasper John Dooley enjoys playing knights and dragons with his friends on the playground. But those girls just want them to play babies! Isabel is the worst, she is in LOVE with Jasper. She may even want to marry him! Then the unthinkable happens his mother arranges a playdate at Isabel's house! Jasper dreads all the hair-brushing and baby-playing he just knows is going to take place. Boy is he surprised when he discovers her trampoline. It is the best thing he has ever done! But how can he keep ...more
Barbara
The course of true love never did run particularly smoothly, and that's never more true than in elementary school. Jasper John Dooley and his best friend Ori enjoy being knights and slaying dragons, but when his teacher decides to pair him during reading with the rambunctious Isabel, their friendship is threatened. It's not as though Jasper actually likes Isabel, but she does have an awesome trampoline, after all. The author does a fine job of describing Jasper's attraction to the neat things he ...more
Dan Shonka
Mar 28, 2014 Dan Shonka rated it really liked it
Caroline Adderson does a great job of capturing the vibe of early elementary school kids. She uses question marks to expertly convey the voice of these rascally characters. I really enjoyed each of the main characters and the teacher's part was spot on (from a youngster's point of view). The scene in the principal's office is a hoot. (One of the rascals practically has a customer-loyalty card for visits to the principal's office.) The characters will pull you in close, and if you haven't ...more
Andréa
May 27, 2014 Andréa rated it liked it
Jasper John Dooley is a funny little guy. He doesn't like Isabel, not really, but he finds her trampoline oh-so-appealing. As a result, he gets into the kind of predicaments common with young kids: refusing to be nice to her, because he doesn't like her, but agreeing to (or at least going along with) playdates at her house so he can use her trampoline. Reminds me of a few times in my own childhood!

The best part of Jasper John Dooley: NOT in Love is the super cute illustrations. Those illustratio
Sandy Brehl
Any readers who read/cared about Jasper John will enjoy these continuing adventures, if that word can be used. The relatively familiar and simple situations Jasper deals with, when viewed through his eyes, are major challenges. This is true for all kids that age, so adults will be pleased if a child who loves these books is able to read them independently, and the series allows jasper to gain some insights and register some steps toward maturing in credible ways.
Cassie
Aug 16, 2014 Cassie rated it really liked it
I read this aloud with my 7 year old and we both enjoyed it. There were several times that he laughed out loud and I have to admit a chuckle escaped me once or twice as well. The characters are pretty realistic and well developed. I appreciated Jasper's parents care, yet taking a step back approach. I'd probably be all over a situation like this if it happened in real life at our house. The other books are on our radar to read as well.
Danielle
May 13, 2014 Danielle rated it it was amazing
I received this book through a Goodreads giveaway and I am so glad that I did! My son is little but I read him the book and we both loved it. It's a cute story about a little boy named jasper who is interested in playing knights and being a typical boy. A little girl is in love with him and wants to marry him but he is just not interested. This would be a great book for a 1st or 2nd grader. The whole series looks cute. We will be buy others in the future.
NYC Reads 365
"All girls do is stay inside and brush their hair, when they play at home. That's what Jasper John Dooley thinks. Jasper much prefers to play knights and dragons with his pals Ori and Leon. One day, he receives an anonymous "I love you" compliment, and he knows it must Isabel. So when his mom arranges a playdate for him at Isabel's house, naturally, he doesn't want to go. But he does, and things turn out differently than he expects."
Jayna
Apr 22, 2014 Jayna rated it really liked it
I received a digital copy in exchange for an honest review.

I read this story aloud to my kindergarten class. They really liked it and laughed a lot. I do think it would be a better first grade read aloud and second grade independent book, but they definitely enjoyed it! I've talked to my librarian about ordering the series!
Jen
Dec 11, 2014 Jen rated it really liked it
I laughed like this whole book and it's an early chapter book. Took me, maybe 30 minutes to read it?
Jacqui
Mar 21, 2014 Jacqui rated it it was amazing
Funny and endearing glimpse into boy-ness, “girl-itis-ness” and the immediacy and intensity of childhood emotions. With a nice little aside for under appreciated moms.
Mar 20, 2014 Sarah rated it it was amazing
i received this book for free through goodreads first reads.
This is a super cute mini book for kids, playful and captivating.
Mandy Robek
Dec 30, 2014 Mandy Robek rated it really liked it
I really like the sweet fun and a bit Very Dangerous Trouble Jasper gets in. He is also clever and figures out how to convince a classmate they are not in love.
Sara Cook
Jan 13, 2015 Sara Cook rated it it was amazing
We just love Jasper in our house. This was another fun story, so true to the life of a kid. Jasper's "love story" is hilarious.
Vicki
Feb 07, 2015 Vicki rated it liked it
This book was very cute. It felt very authentic that he only liked her because of her trampoline. Great read for second or third graders.
Alyssa
Alyssa rated it really liked it
Nov 21, 2016
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Apr 18, 2016
Yaniv
Yaniv rated it it was amazing
Nov 20, 2015
Erin Walker
Erin Walker rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2014
Janet
Janet rated it liked it
Jan 24, 2015
Beth Heltebridle
Beth Heltebridle rated it really liked it
Jan 25, 2015
Saba Jawad
Saba Jawad rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2015
Audrey
Audrey rated it really liked it
Jan 28, 2016
Stacy
Stacy rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2014
  • Dog Friday
  • 13 Hangmen
  • Good Crooks Book One: Missing Monkey!
  • A Fish Named Glub
  • A Whole New Ballgame (Rip and Red, #1)
  • Penny and Her Doll
  • The Big Wet Balloon: TOON Level 2
  • Dory and the Real True Friend
  • Mrs. Noodlekugel and Four Blind Mice
  • Cow Boy: A Boy and His Horse
  • Eddie Red Undercover: Mystery on Museum Mile (Eddie Red Undercover, #1)
  • Loula Is Leaving for Africa
  • Galaxy Zack: Journey to Juno
  • 8 Class Pets + 1 Squirrel ÷ 1 Dog = Chaos
  • Jacob's New Dress
  • The Cats in the Doll Shop
  • Llama Llama Trick or Treat
  • The Bus Ride
Caroline Adderson grew up in Alberta. After traveling around Canada, she moved to B.C. to go to university and has mostly lived there ever since. She started writing seriously after university, eventually going on to write two internationally published novels (A History of Forgetting and Sitting Practice) and two collections of short stories for adults (Bad Imaginings and Pleased To Meet You). ...more
More about Caroline Adderson...

Jasper John Dooley (6 books)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Star of the Week (Jasper John Dooley, #1)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Left Behind (Jasper John Dooley, #2)
  • Jasper John Dooley: You're in Trouble (Jasper John Dooley, #4)
  • Jasper John Dooley: Lost and Found (Jasper John Dooley, #5)
  • Public Library Enemy #1 (Jasper John Dooley #6)