Darkness Calls (The Calling, #1)

Darkness Calls (The Calling #1)

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  97 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"Falling Prey to Passion FBI agent Diana Reyes knew too much about the darkness of the human soul. She had spiraled into that underworld once before and vowed never to fall again. Until she met him.

Powerful, dangerous and the key to catching a psychotic killer, Ryder Latimer was everything she couldn't have and everything she wanted. He haunted her nights, shattered her r

Published March 1st 2004 by Silhouette Books

Starry
Jenese (Readers Confession)
I wanted to really really like this one, but it just wasn't that great to me. I loved that Diana is a Latina heroine, since there are so few, but it wasn't enough. The book was ok, but there were cheesy lines and spanish lines thrown in that doesn't seem realistic. Ryder, to me was lacking. He was dark and mysterious but he wasn't the strong alpha male that I like in a hero. Diana was able to kick his ass on several occasions, which is a turn off to me. Maybe one day I'll try the other books on...more
C.M.
I bought this because the reviews were decent and it's a complete series. It's a good little read, quick and easy. Has some great h/h scenes and she uses basic vamp lore so nothing new or unique there but it also helps you jump right into the tale without a lot of messy back story.

the mystery part isn't too shabby, only a few places I'd question if law enforcement would really have done a certain thing but I'm not going to go look it up.

Good quick read for a first in the series.
Jessica
this book wasn't bad by any means but I did find it rather boring. the heroine is badass with a past that should give her a vulnerability but instead just makes her prickly. the jero really doesn't have much of a personality beyond his constant struggle with the "animal" inside him. the romance between the two was underdeveloped and felt forced. there was zero chemistry so the sex scenes weren't terribly sexy. the plot wasn't bad but for some reason it just didn't hold my interest. the vampire p...more
Maria
The first ever Latina Vampire series. Gotta love it.
Tracie Runge
Darkness Calls is Magnificent

I found myself engrossed in Darkness Calls from the very beginning and quickly fell in love with the strength and emotions of the characters and their stories.

Ryder Latimer has chosen to live his life in the shadows. Owner of 'The Lair' a local nightclub Ryder is all too aware of what he is and what he has lost.

FBI Agent Diana Reyes is good at what she does but she has let her personal heartache spiral her out of control before and she is determined to not let it hap...more
Maria
Although published in 2004, this novel follows more the brooding isolated vampire model of the end of the 20th century. It looks like thre series evolves quickly into somthing else in following books. The female protagonist is very strong and there are clear feminist statements. In that sense, it is very contemporary. The author and the female protagonist are both Latina, and it is well reflected in the novel but without making it the central point.
Esther
Holy vamp hotness Batman! This is my first read by Caridad piñeiro and I have to say, thoroughly enjoyed Diana and Ryder's story. It was a great twist of a love story. Suspense, romance, passion, mystery and promise of more awesome books to come. Look forward to catching up and reading the rest of the series.
Silverana
Many of the vampire characteristics were old, very different from those found in recent vampire books. I was upset at that several times and at the end I wasn't sure what exactly would come of the main characters in the long run, would the female character agree to be changed or just stay with the male character? But overall the book was good.
Michelle Leah Olson
Now I know why these kept getting put back at the top of my TBR list/pile... EXCELLENT!!!!!
I can't wait to continue on with the Calling. :-)
Ashley Hurtt
Ashley Hurtt marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Vita Popovich
Vita Popovich marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2014
Dawn
Dawn marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Ashley
Ashley added it
Jun 27, 2014
Ariel Murray
Ariel Murray marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2014
Desi Alonso
Desi Alonso marked it as to-read
Jun 17, 2014
Stacey Lee
Stacey Lee marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
namericanwordcat
namericanwordcat marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Scoobygirl93
Scoobygirl93 marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
Tanya Simon
Tanya Simon marked it as to-read
May 27, 2014
Jamie
Jamie added it
May 25, 2014
  • Holiday with a Vampire III (Secret Vampire Society #2)
  • Poisoned Kisses  (Mythica #3)
  • Winter Kissed: A Kiss Of Frost\Ice Bound (Harlequin Nocturne, #52)
  • Vampaholic (Darkheart & Crosse Trilogy, #2)
  • Unforgiven (Warriors for the Light #1)
  • Holiday with a Vampire II
  • Scions: Resurrection (Scions, #1)
  • The Forever Kiss
  • Dead Sexy (Harlequin Blaze #358)
  • Awakening the Beast (The Calling, #6.6)
  • Unbound (Unbound, #1)
  • One Eye Open (The Pack, #1)
  • Alpha Wolf (Alpha Force, #2)
  • Blood Secrets (Valorian Chronicles, #1)
  • Renegade Angel
  • Prodigal Son
NY Times and USA Today Bestseller Caridad Pineiro is a Jersey Girl who just wants to write, travel, and spend more time with family and friends. Caridad is the author of over 40 novels/novellas and loves romance novels, super heroes, TV and cooking. Caridad writes dark and sexy romantic suspense and paranormal romances for those who live to love on the edge. Her sweet, but still naughty side, Char...more
More about Caridad Piñeiro...
Sins of the Flesh (Sin Hunters, #1) The Lost (Sin Hunters, #3) Stronger than Sin (Sins Hunters, #2) Blood Calls (The Calling, #6) The Claimed (Sin Hunters, #4)

“Bullets don't differentiate between good or bad. They are equal opportunity killers.” 3 likes