Start by marking “The Mcdougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss” as Want to Read:
The Mcdougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss

The Mcdougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  163 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Drawing on the latest evidence about nutrition, metabolism, and hunger, an easy-to-follow weight loss plan places emphasis on a low-fat, high-carbohydrate diet while explaining how weight is lost and gained.
Published April 1st 1995 by Plume (first published April 1st 1994)

To ask other readers questions about The Mcdougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mcdougall Program for Maximum Weight Loss

Veganomicon by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cupcakes Take Over the World by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra MoskowitzAppetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra MoskowitzVegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar by Isa Chandra Moskowitz
Best Vegan Cookbooks
111th out of 200 books — 273 voters
The Pleasure Trap by Douglas J. LisleDr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up by John A. McDougallThe China Study by T. Colin CampbellForks Over Knives—The Cookbook by Del SroufeHealthy Heart Healthy Planet by Rajiv Misquitta
Plant-Strong Reading List!
14th out of 27 books — 4 voters

More lists with this book...

Jeanette
Jan 05, 2009 Jeanette rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: vegans, people interested in losing weight or just eating healthier
Recommended to Jeanette by: Dr. Lunsk
when i told my doctor i was lookng for vegan receipes he suggested i read Dr. McDougall's books since his program is vegan based (and so much more!) I wasn't planning on reading the actual book, but figured I would, and i actually really liked it, though it's a bit outdated. i've decided to try his program (vegan, no oils, avocados, nuts, olives, processed foods, etc.) for two weeks and see how i like it. (so far, love it!!! i fell a ton better- since all i was eating was vegan crap) and i love ...more
Misty
Aug 04, 2011 Misty added it
Yummy and effective. But watch out for all the criticism you will get from everyone you know if you let it be known that you are following this food plan. Our culture is centered and revolving in a downward spiral around crappy food.
Rayla SunGazer
Great Book for healthy weight loss. EASY to do and truly INEXPENSIVE !!! I did this on food stamps. I lost 92 pounds so far.
Janet
I wish I had known about Dr. McDougall's plan many years ago. I would have lost weight and probably not have to have my gallbladder removed. It's a lot of work to prepare continually interesting meals but it is so worth it for the weight loss and general feeling of wellness. If you have not been able to lose weight and don't want to be hungry, this is the answer.
Margaret Locke
Another major contributor to the few or no animal products for better health mantra. Also a good program, not as strict as Fuhrman, but really anti-fat. Wonder how sustainable it might be?
Allyson Faith
Too complicated! I am doing Weight Watchers but making some of his veggie dishes, which aren't too hard when done once in awhile. Otherwise, I'd be chopping vegetables all day!
Aubree
Hardcore, but totally makes sense. Would have to find other recipes. These are not working for me. But I've found ways to adapt it that work.
Lydel
His emphasis is a starch-based diet. The recipes are great!
Jim Engle
Excellent!
Alicia
Don't waste your time.

This book is stupid. I read this book primarily because I heard it had low calorie recipes in a cookbook section in the back. When I read some of the recipes I was dumbfounded. The "Cold Cereal Breakfast" recipe: 1 c cold cereal, nonfat soy or rice milk, 1/4 c fruit optional. That's not a recipe! Furthermore, what kind of idiot doesn't already know that? They wouldn't be reading this book at all if they couldn't even figure out how to make cereal.

Before you think this is a
Robin
Apr 12, 2014 Robin added it
Very clear and helpful information about starting out on a plant-based lifestyle. Easy and practical recipes, too.
Nina
I can't commit to an oil-free diet! It's hard to let go of the idea for some reason, but there you have it. Also, I don't want to NEVER eat cheese again, even if it's addictive.
Roland
Very good.
Yo
Yo marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2015
Giuseppe
Giuseppe marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Autumn Kurtz
Autumn Kurtz marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Debbie
Debbie marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Judith Kints
Judith Kints marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2015
Miriam
Miriam marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2015
Fernando Chequetto
Fernando Chequetto marked it as to-read
Jan 30, 2015
Betty Hammonds
Betty Hammonds marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Jenna
Jenna is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2015
  • The Millennium Cookbook: Extraordinary Vegetarian Cuisine
  • Breaking the Food Seduction: The Hidden Reasons Behind Food Cravings---And 7 Steps to End Them Naturally
  • Unprocessed: How to Achieve Vibrant Health and Your Ideal Weight
  • Vegan World Fusion Cuisine: Over 200 award-winning recipes
  • May All Be Fed: 'a Diet For A New World : Including Recipes By Jia Patton And Friends
  • Vegan Express
  • Fresh from the Vegan Slow Cooker: 200 Ultra-Convenient, Super-Tasty, Completely Animal-Free Recipes
  • Eat More, Weigh Less: Dr. Dean Ornish's Life Choice Program for Losing Weight Safely While Eating Abundantly
  • Vegan Vittles: Recipes Inspired by the Critters of Farm Sanctuary
  • Gristle: from Factory Farms to Food Safety (Thinking Twice About the Meat We Eat)
  • The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook
  • Vegan Italiano: Meat-free, Egg-free, Dairy-free Dishes from Sun-Drenched Italy
  • Candle 79 Cookbook: Modern Vegan Classics from New York's Premier Sustainable Restaurant
  • Sistah Vegan: Food, Identity, Health, and Society: Black Female Vegans Speak
  • Everyday Happy Herbivore: Over 175 Quick-and-Easy Fat-Free and Low-Fat Vegan Recipes
  • Thrive Foods: 200 Plant-Based Recipes for Peak Health
  • Raw: The Uncook Book: New Vegetarian Food for Life
John A. McDougall (Born 1947) is an American Irish physician and author whose philosophy is that degenerative disease can be prevented and treated with a low-fat, whole foods, plant-based/vegan diet – especially one based on starches such as potatoes, rice, and corn – which excludes all animal foods and added vegetable oils.
More about John A. McDougall...
The Starch Solution: Eat the Foods You Love, Regain Your Health, and Lose the Weight for Good! The Mcdougall Quick and Easy Cookbook The McDougall Program: 12 Days to Dynamic Health The McDougall Plan Dr. McDougall's Digestive Tune-Up