Start by marking “The Bohemian Love Diaries: A Memoir” as Want to Read:
The Bohemian Love Diaries: A Memoir

The Bohemian Love Diaries: A Memoir

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  136 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Infused with southern charm, this irresistibly weird and wonderful story chronicles Slash Coleman's upbringing in a warped but warm-hearted household of eccentric artists. Descended from a posse of off-beat immigrants--including a grandfather who danced at the Moulin Rouge--and raised near the capital of the Confederacy during the 1970s and '80s, young Slash sets out to fi ...more
Published July 16th 2013 by Lyons Press (first published 2013)

To ask other readers questions about The Bohemian Love Diaries, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bohemian Love Diaries

Emma
Jun 17, 2013 Emma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Storyteller Slash Coleman has put the stories of his life into book form. If you're at all familiar with his work both in the NYC and Portland storytelling communities, as well as the national storytelling circuit, you might know some of the stories in the book. His funny, off kilter, but highly confessional way of telling translates well to the written and longer format of a book, though I am eagerly awaiting the release of the audiobook of this book, which Slash narrates himself.

Reading this
Rand
Oct 01, 2013 Rand rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Condensing one's life into less than 300 pages before one's fifty seems like an iffy choice. But if half the anecdotes in this book are true, Coleman is no stranger to iffy choices.

There are some legitimately funny bits here, yes. But the pacing is off and the narrative jumps too much to allow for sufficient character development. Add to that freneticism the tic of using pop culture road marks as descriptors ("I hang a right on Division and pedal furiously with the traffic while thinking about G
Meg - A Bookish Affair
I have really been on a memoir kick as of late. I love reading about other people's lives! "The Bohemian Love Diaries" is definitely less serious than some of the other memoirs that I've been reading. While I don't mind super serious memoirs, it's always nice to read some funnier stories. This book was definitely refreshing!

Slash Coleman's book of essay-like memories opens on a hilarious tale of his super eccentric father trying to buy beer from a convenience store. And that's all I'm going to t
Laura Hill
Jun 22, 2013 Laura Hill rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: I didn't like the book so no one
Recommended to Laura by: I got,it from the author
Slash Coleman
The Bohemian Love Diaries

Let me start by saying that memoirs really aren't my thing. But I do love hearing people's stories and I've read personal accounts that were so brilliantly penned they have left me breathless. Sadly this is not one of them.

Mr. Coleman, aka Slash, takes us on a thirty year journey starting with his dysfunctional childhood in Virginia where he was raised by a hopeful artist dad and mom trapped by her past. The journey continues through a failed college career
Lisa
Jul 25, 2013 Lisa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
* I was given a free copy via the publisher in exchange for an honest review.*

" It's seven minutes after midnight, and I'm standing in a silver shopping cart with a bad wheel in
Harvey's Meat Market and Grocery facing a Standoff Sandwich."

With those opening lines, I knew this memoir was going to be totally different from the other memoirs I have read. It's a barrel full of crazy.Coleman writes in such a way that I felt I was reading a Dali painting. If you like your biographies on the quirky si
Danilo Santoni
C'è chi lo ha definito il nuovo Nick Hornby.... mmmhhhh.... diciamo che sta molto lontano!
A tratti è piacevole,ma si finisce col venir sommersi dalle nevrosi del personaggio senza capirle bene.
Si può vivere benissimo senza leggerlo.
Snoopy TheGoon
Jul 09, 2013 Snoopy TheGoon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Normally when I see a book having "a memoir" added in small letters under the title, I run to the other end of the book store. And I cannot deny that it was hard to suppress the familiar feeling of slight dread, liberally mixed with foreboding of a long and boring task, when I opened the first page. Of course, I have perused the dust cover of The Bohemian Love Diaries first, just to find out an elegant way to skip most of the book and still produce a believable book report. And of course, the du ...more
Rosemary
Oct 03, 2013 Rosemary rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone over 13 years old
Shelves: memoirs
Slash Coleman has one of the most authentic voices I've read in a long time. From the moment I started reading this book, I was drawn into his world, seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling (although I sometimes didn't want to) the whole of his experience expressed with an open heartedness that is rarely found. His descriptions of people are incredibly vivid, I could not wait to meet the next character! He starts on page one by describing a store clerk like this: "She resembles a stick of beef jerky ...more
Ashley
In The Bohemian Love Diaries: A Memoir by Slash Coleman, Slash details his journey to self-discovery through hilarious anecdotes from his childhood and beyond. He struggles to come to terms with his eccentric alcoholic father, his Holocaust-survivor mother and his own off-beat artistic tendencies. The book itself is eccentric; at times weird and hilarious and at others slow and tedious it’s a book I enjoyed reading when I wasn’t sure what I wanted to read. No matter how I was feeling it was alwa ...more
Michelle
Aug 26, 2013 Michelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
What can I say about this book? How about I fell in love with Slash, his family, and the moments that shaped him into who he is today. His stories are awkward, eccentric, hilarious, and even bewildering at times but all too human. Give Slash a little time and you will love him like I did. I fell in AND out of love with his girlfriends along with him, I joined him on his crazy escapades, and became part of his funny, strange family. I cherished the moments when he wasn't afraid to take crazy chan ...more
Sharon Chance
Oct 06, 2013 Sharon Chance rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I was first contacted about this book, I had to look twice at the author's name! At first I saw Slash - hmm, not THE Slash I knew from Guns 'N Roses; and then Coleman - hmmm, not my oldest son, who is also named Coleman. It was from the delightfully quirky author Slash Coleman, regarding his equally quirky memoir, "The Bohemian Love Diaries." And I'm glad his name caught my attention - because I have been delightfully entertained by the story of his life!

Coleman tells his life's story with
Nicole Quattro
I have been on a memoir kick lately so I was excited to receive The Bohemian Love Diaries. It offered an insider's view to the eccentric world of Slash Coleman, from a seven-year-old boy to a grown man and the struggles along the way. The son of an artist, Slash is "plagued" by a similar curse of creativity and is unsure of the outlet in which to express it. This struggle takes him across the country and back, often with a lovesick heart in tow.

Although intriguing, some of the chapters felt cli
Barbara
Sep 03, 2013 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have to start this review with a disclaimer. I received The Bohemian Love Diaries by Slash Coleman as a free book, and am doing the review as a courtesy. That being said, it’s one of the best books I’ve read recently. I enjoyed it and laughed a lot while reading. The book is reminiscent of books that I’ve read by David Sedaris, and if you like Sedaris, chances are very good that you will like Slash Coleman. However, Slash Coleman has his own story to tell and he certainly does it in his own un ...more
Jason Matthews
Aug 26, 2013 Jason Matthews rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Had to remind myself I was reading memoir because it reads like fiction. Slash is a gifted story teller who drew me in from the very first paragraph to the final page. He's had a weird, fascinating, introspective, immensely unique and entertaining life. One of those "truth stranger than fiction" lives. I really don't use the phrase laugh out loud funny, but this was. Plus the amount of personal growth, which includes the highs and lows of his life, was refreshing in its honesty. The author liter ...more
Shannon
May 29, 2014 Shannon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was really entertaining. I always enjoy reading memoirs of people who live their lives less "traditionally" and this hit the spot. The story telling is great and I laughed out loud throughout the book. Great summer read!
Jane Ann
Apr 13, 2014 Jane Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I wanted to rate higher but this is a book I could put down, not something I wanted to devour. His writing was vivid but at times confusing. An autobiography that made me wonder,"Really? Seriously?" A quirky family, to say the least, but the author's response to and reaction to life's happenings were sometimes strange in the extreme. He seemed to encounter enough oddball people for a 2 lifetimes. He does lead you into his time and space. I just didn't want to be there.
Oct 14, 2013 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first two thirds of this book were incredible. Great stories told like a true storyteller. I laughed out loud on the airplane while reading this multiple times. Additionally I have multiple friends who share the same sort of impulsive behavior of the author (perhaps I'll call it mental-illness-light), and it was actually interesting to see how he viewed the events and consequences in his life versus how most of us would see it. The last third of the book started to lose me, but the first two ...more
Kimberly Laplante
May 24, 2013 Kimberly Laplante rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I won this book in a first-reads giveaway. Coleman is a talented writer who has led a life rich with stories to be told. The book lacks flow, but I think that consistency is sacrificed to achieve a level of realness. A life of a bohemian artist with borderline mental health issues doesn't necessarily have a logical flow. I also really enjoyed the inter-generational aspect of the book and the development of insight into his parent's relationship that comes with age.
Elise
Dec 17, 2013 Elise rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I recieved this book through the Goodread's First Reads program, I wasn't sure what to expect. The back cover promised a quirky and heart felt read. This book was all that and more.

Coleman's writing style pulled me in immediately. I got lost in the words and followed the story long before I realised the truths it spoke about my own life. This is quite a book.

If you're thinking about reading it, do yourself a favor and go along for the ride.
Kim Heimbuch
Jul 24, 2013 Kim Heimbuch rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone has a story, but how you tell that story is what will be the deciding factor that shines a spotlight upon the past you. Author Slash Coleman has a spot light so damn bright upon him you would think his alter ego was Batman. However, the story he tells will literally cause Batman to hang his head in shame. And that is AWESOME.

Read Full Review at http://www.musingwithcrayolakym.com/3...
Jarrod Scarbrough
I liked this a lot better than I expected to. Typically, I'm not one for bios or memoirs, but occasionally I branch into the genre. I'm glad I did, this was a fun one to read. The book is a set of stories from Coleman's life, all told in an offbeat style that reminded me a lot of Kerouac. His quirky family was fun to read about, and one can really get a sense of what made him the man he is by reading these stories.
Ben
Nov 01, 2013 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first two thirds of this book is as raw and soul-baring as Nick Hornby and simultaneously as clever, funny, and absurd as David Sedaris. It's among the best coming of age stories I've read and would make an excellent Wes Anderson adaptation. The last third - after the author has come of age, so to speak - loses steam and gets a bit muddled. But it's still well worth your time. Eagerly awaiting more from Slash Coleman.
Michael Mariano
Aug 31, 2015 Michael Mariano rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Got about 20 pages in and could not stand the voice or tone. Moved on.
Duane
Nov 16, 2013 Duane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Tailor made for any David Sedaris or Augusten Burroughs fan. This memoir moves beyond the "my crazy childhood made me this way", into the realm of adult romantic relationships and the challenges that they hold for all of us. A total pleasure to read. Laugh out loud funny with a slightly tragic twist. This guy can write one heck of a breakup scene.
Lydia Trent
Jan 22, 2015 Lydia Trent rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't quite sure what I would make of this book but I was pleasantly entertained. The style of writing is quite unique and the way that the story unravels keeps you reading to the end. I really enjoyed this and it was easy to picture the characters and get inside a few heads. Brilliant book which I would read again.
Jeannie
Sep 21, 2014 Jeannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't expect to like this but I actually loved reading it. So much of it was so insane I couldn't help thinking there's no way this could be true. I loved his Dad most of all. If I were casting a film, Terry Bradshaw would play Dad. Have no idea why.
Janice Rapp
outrageously funny at times. and even though i teared up a bit at the end, i was glad i finished reading it; the stories just felt too contrived and unnatural after awhile. shock art memoir: check.
Ouida
Sep 27, 2013 Ouida rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves:
Not exactly my type of book for reading. Kind of hard to follow and just not real interesting. It did have some funny parts that I did enjoy.The story itself was just all over the place.
Lisa Kirchner
Oct 12, 2013 Lisa Kirchner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
At times heartbreaking, at times uplifting, Coleman never loses sight of what every reader wants: a great story. There is no easy redemption here, but there is always hope.
Dusti
Sep 09, 2013 Dusti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Coleman's seamless weaving of humor and sweetness into some very sad stories left me breathless and in love with language again.
Free Books, .99 &...: [Ends July 16] Set of 5 YA books Giveaway 1 20 Jul 20, 2013 11:32PM
Advanced Copies f...: [Ends Aug 16] Signed CD & Book 1 6 Jul 20, 2013 11:29PM
Free Book Giveaway: [Ends Aug 16] Signed CD & Book 1 7 Jul 20, 2013 11:27PM
Book Giveaways: New Giveaways! 2 17 Jun 03, 2013 10:28AM
  • On the Water: A Fishing Memoir
  • The Strange Case of the Mad Professor: A True Tale of Endangered Species, Illegal Drugs, and Attempted Murder
  • The Making of the Great Communicator: Ronald Reagan's Transformation from Actor to Governor
  • Hit Me!: Fighting the Las Vegas Mob by the Numbers
  • Conspiracy of One: Tyler Kent's Secret Plot against FDR, Churchill, and the Allied War Effort
  • How I Slept My Way to the Middle: Secrets and Stories from Stage, Screen, and Interwebs
  • Freezing People Is (Not) Easy: My Adventures in Cryonics
  • Hitless Wonder: A Life in Minor League Rock and Roll
  • Last Stand: Ted Turner's Quest to Save a Troubled Planet
  • All in All: An Actor's Life On and Off the Stage
  • Strong Boy: The Life and Times of John L. Sullivan, America's First Sports Hero
  • The Girl Factory: A Memoir
  • My Heart Is a Drunken Compass: A Memoir
  • Listen Out Loud: A Life in Music--Managing McCartney, Madonna, and Michael Jackson
  • National Cowboy Poetry Gathering: The Anthology
  • Resident on Call: A Doctor's Reflections on His First Years at Mass General
  • Paperboy: An Enchanting True Story of a Belfast Paperboy Coming to Terms with the Troubles
  • City of Rivals: Restoring the Glorious Mess of American Democracy
NPR says author/performer /Psychology Today blogger/advice columnist/French fry eater Slash Coleman, “has the power to change the way people think," and WGBH Boston calls him "extremely provocative and entertaining."

The author of "The Bohemian Love Diaries," a 2013 Storytelling World Award Winner and the 2012 United Solo Winner for Best Drama, Slash is best known for his one man PBS special, “The
More about Slash Coleman...

“Love is the bee that carries the pollen from one heart to another.” 48 likes
“Why does everyone think a guy who prefers love to people is missing something in his life?” 33 likes