Start by marking “Ogallala Blue: Water and Life on the Great Plains” as Want to Read:
Ogallala Blue: Water and Life on the Great Plains

Ogallala Blue: Water and Life on the Great Plains

A history of the Ogallala aquifer traces its formation after the retreat of the glaciers; its use by ancient tribes, center-pivot sprinkler systems, and sophisticated extraction technologies; and the risk factors for its eventual drying out.
Published September 18th 2006 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published June 19th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Ogallala Blue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ogallala Blue

Ad Hudler
Jun 11, 2016 Ad Hudler rated it really liked it
Though I've lived in the moist-and-lush South most of my adult life, I've always had a reverence for water because I grew up on the dry plains of eastern Colorado. No rivers. No ponds or lakes. Just yucca and sagebrush. The only water source comes from the Ogallala aquifer, beneath the land, and that is rapidly being depleted and poisoned by farming-related nitrates. Hydrologists aren't even sure if there will be enough water for the second half of this century.

I've told my daughter that, in her
Starman
Jul 12, 2014 Starman rated it really liked it
Overall, I liked this book a lot. I've given in 4 out of 5 stars here, but I feel it is more like a 9 out of 10 book. (Actually, I had a lot more to say, but somehow it got deleted before being saved, so I will make this brief.)

Ogallala Blue is fascinating if you are interested in the state of the Ogallala Aquifer that provides water to much of the Great Plains from Texas to South Dakota. Since this area is America's so-called "bread basket," the agriculture here is vital to the rest of the US a
Meredith
Jan 03, 2010 Meredith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lynne Pennington
Jul 06, 2015 Lynne Pennington rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Should be required reading for everyone who lives on the Plains. One of those rare popular science-type books that is both informative and entertaining. Even though this is about 10 years old, it is still extremely timely. I live on the Republican River (for someone from Back East it looks more like a creek) and everything he writes about is as true today as it was when written. Water wars are here.
Jim
Sep 16, 2010 Jim rated it liked it
I have a thirst--pun intended--for books about the politics of water and water policy. I came across this book thinking it might enlighten me both about the pressures faced by the Ogallala Aquifer, and about water in the Midwest. This book came through on the first count, but did not on the second. And, the writing just seemed to drift towards the end, with no real conclusion, until, gradually...it ended.

My summer 2010 reading is now concluded--with Fall looming, it is back to the graduate scho
Alice
Jul 11, 2009 Alice rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
For a girl raised on the High Plains this was riveting reading!

Ashworth journeys through the High Plains on a quest to unravel the tangled conundrum of water and life there. Featured is the Ogallala Aquifer--the finite source of this arid region's water.

Along the way the reader will gain an understanding and appreciation for the geography, topography, and history of the High Plains as well as a sense of its beauty.

Benjamin Vogt
Aug 06, 2011 Benjamin Vogt rated it really liked it
Not bad. I think it dragged on a bit, but the mix of personal travelogue-type stories with raw research and fact was fantastic. I wouldn't call it riveting, but it kept the book going (rare to see anymore). Well written, and a wonderful history of Plains farming and ag--this will be an essential text for the book I'm writing on Oklahoma and Kansas settlement.
Melanie
Aug 03, 2014 Melanie rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nf
I learned a LOT about the Ogallala aquifer from this very well researched book. The author puts real faces and real situations on the challenges and addresses how they affect each other. Somehow, he lost me, though. The book is about 300 pages and 200 would have been enough for me.
Divina
Sep 04, 2009 Divina rated it really liked it
Don't worry about running out of oil, worry about running out of water...
Tara
Apr 26, 2010 Tara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bookstore-coop
The water is running out
BookDB
BookDB marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2016
Elizabeth Kafka
Elizabeth Kafka marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2016
Jameslweaver
Jameslweaver marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Rachel
Rachel rated it liked it
Jul 26, 2016
Jeff
Jeff marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2016
Dennis
Dennis marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2016
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2016
Patrick Pritchard
Patrick Pritchard marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2016
Marc Hemmes
Marc Hemmes marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Simone Elder
Simone Elder rated it really liked it
Jun 06, 2016
Allison Mordas
Allison Mordas rated it really liked it
Jan 26, 2016
Catie
Catie marked it as to-read
Jul 10, 2016
Mike Keil
Mike Keil rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2016
bookmouse
bookmouse rated it it was ok
Sep 17, 2015
Lesley Fuller
Lesley Fuller rated it really liked it
Aug 17, 2015
Mikel Mayfield
Mikel Mayfield marked it as to-read
Aug 01, 2015
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
Jul 23, 2015
Julie Patton
Julie Patton marked it as to-read
Jul 06, 2015
Bill
Bill rated it really liked it
Jun 25, 2015