Start by marking “Darlings of Decay” as Want to Read:
Darlings of Decay

Darlings of Decay

Chilling tales of zombie horror from thirty of your favorite female writers. Sit back as your favorite authors of zombie lit take you on a wild, horrifying ride that will leave you breathless! Come and meet the women who love to entertain you with their own unique versions of the zombie apocalypse.

Featuring:

Tamara Rose Blodgett
V. Booke
Chantal Boudreau
Laura Bretz
Tonia Brown
Kindle Edition, 1st edition
Published June 30th 2013

To ask other readers questions about Darlings of Decay, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Darlings of Decay

Chris Haught
Aug 05, 2013 Chris Haught rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What more can I say? OUTSTANDING! I can't put it down. Each story is amazing. 30 of the top female authors of the genre all together in one incredible book. It's FREE, let me say it again, FREE! I personally want to thank each and every author for giving this to us. I just added many new authors to my fave list.
Joline Novy
Jul 27, 2013 Joline Novy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Wow! WOW!! This was an absolutely FANTASTIC anthology!! I would highly recommend this to anyone who enjoys reading books about zombies and/or the zombie apocalypse! There are many many great stories in this book. Some are as short as 2 pages while some are full length first installments. While I do have my favorites, there's no way I could pick one story I liked the most. When I heard about this project and saw some of the authors that were submitting stories, I was so excited about this ...more
Mia Darien
Jul 15, 2013 Mia Darien rated it really liked it  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is a lot of zombie apocalypse in one place! There are too many stories for me to review individually (at least and keep my head from breaking), but over all, a pretty cool anthology for the z-apoc lovers out there. But what the heck is that Mia Darien chick doing in there? :P
Eleanor
Jul 23, 2013 Eleanor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Annie Walls Chapter in this book. Controlling the Dead tells Mac's Story. If you haven't checked out her first book the series, "Taking on the Dead" You should really check it out.
Jeff Vandivor
Jan 06, 2014 Jeff Vandivor rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In a world where the zombie anthology well is scraping the extremes of low, and finding a good one I have not read or do not already own that isn't mostly garbage has become a daunting hunt, "Darlings of Decay" smashes the tedium with a sleek and refreshing fucking sledgehammer. Paradigms be damned, this isn't a book of good zombie stories by women; this is a perspicaciously engaging and original collection of stories by great authors, regardless of gender. "What zombies fear" was my favorite, ...more
Katya
Sep 19, 2013 Katya rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It seems like I'm going against the current here, but... this was a really hard read for me. A couple of stories were absolutely outstanding but the majority felt like they'd actually been written by zombies.
Monica
Aug 19, 2013 Monica rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love zombies!
Vix
Dec 25, 2013 Vix rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition

A pre-warning, the blurb for this says "stories & excerpts" maybe I missed the excerpts bit because quite a few of these chapters were just lumps of other stories, enticements into buying the full story from the author. Not sure I like that style of anthology.

What Zombies Fear by Laura Bretz: it all started with a weird phone call, then a mad bite laden drive through country lanes, as the main character (Ryan) struggles to get home to his beloved wife - LB really ratcheted up the tension and
Jacqueline Loudan weister
Awesome book! I read it in one day I could not put it down. I recommend this book it took me a while to get to it as I was behind in my reading but as they say you save the BEST for last. A few of my favorite authors are in this book and I also added a lot more to check out once I Finish a few more books.
Thomas
Oct 08, 2013 Thomas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's very hard to rate a book like this. On one hand some of the stories were amazing, on the other... well, there's a zombie werewolf vampire demon. I'm incredibly sick of zombies, at least for the moment.
Kym Hewick
Oct 26, 2013 Kym Hewick rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a free book this was freakin awesome! Have discovered some new authors I am really keen to read more of.
Tammy K.
I am shelving this as a DNF at 42%.
There are a couple interesting stories, but not enough to push through to the end of the book.
Patrick D'Orazio
Sep 20, 2015 Patrick D'Orazio rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Darlings of Decay is an anthology of zombie shorts and novellas written by female authors. Often, the standard point made in a review of an anthology is that it is a mixed bag; good, bad, and so-so tales populate a book filled with a wide assortment of authors, whether the theme is specific or open ended. Such is the case with this book, though for not entirely for the standard reasons. This isn’t a book filled with short stories that are all within a certain size range or even stories that are ...more
Cyber Killer
Mar 30, 2015 Cyber Killer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, fantasy
I usually treat anthologies as samplers of different authors, though I like when they include completely new works, specifically written for that anthology. This is not the case here - nearly all the included works have been published before, so there's nothing new for fans of he genre who read it all.

There are some great stories/novels here (like Annie Walls' companion story to her Famished series) and some outright bad ones (e.g. the paranormal romance with part werewolf part zombie part wampi
angie
Mar 07, 2016 angie marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've not read enough yet into Darlings to write a decent review, but I will say this: so far I'm very impressed. In this anthology you will find lots of different approaches to the zombie fiction genre. Of particular greatness is Laura Bretz's "The Ballad Of Ryan Fullerton" and Tonia Brown's "Bob." I expect there will be more to mention as I go along. :)

One thing I really like about anthologies (especially great ones like this that you like to draw out because you're afraid it will end too soon)
Denise Keef
Dec 26, 2013 Denise Keef rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an awesome collection of zombie stories by some of the most amazing authors! There is a little something for everyone in here to like. I follow a few of the authors in here…Catt Dahman, Tonia Brown and C.A. Verstrate so I knew this had to be a great book. I have also now found quite a few others to now follow. The good thing about collections like this is you get a taste of other authors writing that you might not have heard about and then fall in love with their stories. This is one ...more
Jently
Dec 25, 2013 Jently rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
2 stars, NOT because of the quality of the writing, but because I thought the blurb was misleading. Many of the "short stories" in here aren't really stand alone shorts, they are teasers. I don't mind short story bundles intended to help bring notice to full length books, this was just too much of too little. Some of them did seem interesting but I think several smaller bundles with slightly more story would have done better for getting the authors visibility.
Rebecca
Jan 28, 2014 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed the snippets, chapters, and full blown novellas included in this anthology. It's fantastic, interesting, and I read quite a bit of new authors I hadn't read before that I am definitely going to be searching out more of.
Some of it was pretty gross (but it's a ZOMBIE anthology) and I loved the fact that it was all written by women authors. While there were a few snippets that weren't my cup of tea and I skimmed through a bit, the majority of this is really interesting and I think
Teresa Derrick
Dec 29, 2015 Teresa Derrick rated it it was amazing
Excellent tales of zombies

Stories written from the perspective of zombies, victims, and survivors. Great authors and edge of your seat stories. A great read for a paranormal thrill.
Sheena (biblio.boppity.books)
Like most anthologies, there will be stories you love and hate in them. This wasn't a bad bunch, but a few stories were so dull and/or stupid, it took a while to finish.

Overall, not too bad if you like zombie stories.
Glinda Harrison
Excerpts and scenes are not short stories! They do not belong in an anthology. Very misleading. This is a shame because the quality of the writing seemed to be good. This was an exercise in frustration and not worth the time even though the book was free!
Lord
Nov 08, 2014 Lord rated it really liked it
Shelves: all
I am giving this book four stars because I have read books and known authors that I might have not read and known otherwise. :)
  ღ☆ღ  Brenda
This is a great way to get a sample of some *New to you* authors.There are some really great stories in this book that make you want to go get the book to finish out that short you just read.
Tabitha Wilson
Feb 06, 2015 Tabitha Wilson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book! Some parts made me freak out when i would hear bumps in the night while reading but i know that only a well written book could do that. Bravo to all the authors involved!
Dan
May 08, 2014 Dan rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
got 15% into this and I can read no more. Never heard of any of these authors.Most are just bloggers who got picked for this shifty compilation.
Gwennie Williams
Nov 06, 2015 Gwennie Williams rated it really liked it
Thrilling

Awesome compilation of stories! It took awhile to read but it was worth it. Nothing more scarier than having to fight just to survive. Very captivating!!
Heidi
Dec 03, 2013 Heidi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
some of these stories were great but I felt a few were just sections taken out of full stories.
Patti
Oct 12, 2013 Patti rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
OMG! I can only say amazing.
Lynsy
Jun 06, 2014 Lynsy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is written by various authors. Some wrote better than others. All - in - all, I liked it.
Jessica
Apr 24, 2014 Jessica rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A collection of "bits and pieces" of books. Some seemed interesting, some were crap. eh...
Zombies!: Buddy Read beginning 9-6 117 22 Oct 07, 2013 04:39PM
Apocalypse Whenever: Free on Kindle: Darlings of Decay 1 18 Aug 10, 2013 01:17PM
Bargain Basement: #FREE Zombie Anthology 1 20 Jul 01, 2013 07:16PM
Apocalypse Whenever: Darlings of Decay Free July 1, 2013 1 25 Jul 01, 2013 02:02PM
  • Bailing Out into the Dead (The Famished Trilogy 0.5)
  • Dauntless (The Nevermore Trilogy, #3)
  • End: An Apocalyptic Anthology
  • Solstice: A Novel of the Zombie Apocalypse
  • Origins (Zombie Games, #1)
  • Darlings of Darkness
  • Victim Zero
  • Plague Zone
  • Here Be Monsters: An Anthology of Monster Tales
  • Apocalypse: An Anthology by Authors and Readers
  • Jenny Undead (The Thirteen, #1)
  • Dead Days: Episode 1 (A Zombie Apocalypse Serial)
  • Dead, but Not for Long
  • The Zombie Wilson Diaries
  • Where the Dead Talk
  • After (The Phoenix Curse, #1)
  • Arcadium (Arcadium, #1)
  • The Zombie Chronicles (Apocalypse Infection Unleashed, #1)
www.TamaraRoseBlodgett.com

NEW RELEASE ALERT: bit.ly/NEWS-TRB

Tamara Rose Blodgett is the author of over seventy titles, including her NEW YORK TIMES bestselling novel, A TERRIBLE LOVE, and the international bestselling TOKEN serial, written under the pen name Marata Eros. Tamara writes a variety of dark fiction in the genres of erotica, fantasy, horror, romance, suspense and sci-fi. She and her hus
More about Tamara Rose Blodgett...