Start by marking “The Maintenance Man” as Want to Read:
The Maintenance Man

The Maintenance Man

4.19  ·  Rating Details ·  5,410 Ratings  ·  95 Reviews
The Maintenance Man: A Novel
Published October 10th 2000 by Touchstone (first published October 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about The Maintenance Man, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Maintenance Man

La Tonya  Jordan
Jan 24, 2015 La Tonya Jordan rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everybody
Shelves: good-read
This book is enjoyable light reading. It is a quick read. When you think you heard everything here comes a man who can "SEX" all your problems away, women pay a hefty price for this honor. Even the maintenance man realize he needs true romance. This is what Malcom Tremell finds out.
Donna Scoggins
Jul 18, 2014 Donna Scoggins rated it really liked it
You are introduced to Malcolm, Simon, Ariel, Toni and others who share their life and problems. From a player, escort, to a man too busy working to take care of the needs of his woman - all leave you with a lesson about life and perseverance.
Apr 29, 2013 Goodread rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
my second time reading... just as great as the first
Jun 02, 2013 Tasha rated it it was amazing
Admittedly, I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did. Once I started reading, I didn't stop. The story was well written, and all of the characters were relatable. This book made me look at romantic relationships, family bonds, and friendship from different perspectives. I found myself willing characters to act a certain way, hoping certain situations would happen a particular way, and cheering when things went well. I'm anxious to read part 2, now.
Gail Augustus
Nov 12, 2009 Gail Augustus rated it liked it
Well since I listen to him on the radio from time to time I thought it might be interesting to check out his writing. Let me start out by saying, I didn't have high hopes. Why, well I just don't think of him as an author.

Well, well what a surprise. It actually was readable and entertaining. Not one of the best books I've read but it was worth the time. The characters were interesting and the storyline worked.

Not sure I'll read another book by him, but this one was passable.
Aug 08, 2007 Maritza rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anybody
This was just an entertaining book to read. You're basically following the life of a gigolo and all the self-inflicted drama that comes with it as he attempts to get out of the game. I enjoyed it a lot.
Jacqueline's Reads
Aug 22, 2013 Jacqueline's Reads marked it as freebie  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jacqueline's Reads by: Cap'n Heather.....Aarrrrrrr
Winter Sophia Rose
Dec 25, 2014 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Emotional, Spicy Page Turner!
Apr 12, 2015 Yolanda rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. Full of excitement. I recommend it. Life lessons throughout the book.
Amazon freebie 3/12/13 typically $9.99
Jan 07, 2013 Tay rated it really liked it
This was a very good read.
Ray Robinson 2
Oct 18, 2016 Ray Robinson 2 rated it really liked it
I was in my early 20's when I read this book. It was full of drama and moving scenarios. Needless to say I read this whole book in less than a week.
Dominica Jones
Sep 10, 2016 Dominica Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

5 star because the readers can relate to the events that occurred in the story. Every emotion could be felt, readers could feel as if they were involved or caught up in every turn of events, not only that, there's a lot to this story that's real life and thought provoking.
As an avid reader, I appreciate a good book, and an author who not only makes me as feel involved, but also keep my attention.
Kimberly Hicks
Aug 08, 2012 Kimberly Hicks rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kimberly by: Amazon
I must admit I wasn't sure where this story was going, and I wasn't quite sure how all the characters related, but once I got the hang of the writing flow of Michael's, I loved this book.

What I enjoyed is the fact that there were several people's lives you followed and eventually they each connected in some way. I have to say Malcolm was a very arrogant &^%$*& and I didn't like him at first, but once I got to know the male prostitute, he grew on me.

I felt Michael demonstrated the underwo
DeTerrius Woods
Feb 28, 2015 DeTerrius Woods rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Need of A Good Plumbing?

When a woman is in need of a good maintenance man, they call on Malcolm. From the way Michael Baisden describes Malcolm, I can understand why the women instantly fall for his arrogant behind. He was entertaining to read, although all the other secondary characters held my attention more. There wasn't as much sex scenes as I assumed there would be and that's ok.

I would have loved to get a update on Ariel's situation during the epilogue. I was kind of left with a couple
Oct 03, 2012 Diana rated it liked it
Shelves: black-men
This had the potential to be a really good book but unfortunately, Michael Baisden chose to write a very predictable and stereotypical book about Black men and relationships. I did enjoy the drama but the ending was just too rushed, too cookie cutter, and too unbelievable for me. I did not feel that the characters learned any life lessons, they were forgiven too easily, and honestly, the book didn't have a real message or point in my opinion. 3 stars for the drama/entertainment... but 2 for exec ...more
K. Jonee
Aug 11, 2014 K. Jonee rated it it was amazing
A long-time Baisden Live listener, I read "Men Cry In The Dark" and from that point on, I have been a Michael Baisden fan. "The Maintenance Man" was an interesting read in that you were able to see life on the other side. I love that it was not your usual "Men cheat, men cheat" book. It focused mainly on women who cheat and behave in the same light. It also shed light on some very taboo subjects as well. Excellent book. I will be reading the sequel very soon.
Tee Morris
This book was an easy read. You always found yourself trying to figure out what Malcolm was going to do next. While the book ended well, I think that the author/editor got a little mixed up because they incorrectly talked about Simon's club being in Miami but it was really in Atlanta (just a minor slip up). The books was a good read and I thank my book club members for the suggestion, as I probably would not have read it.
Apr 21, 2015 Dorel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Michael Baisden book I read. This is my 2nd time reading this book. My first time reading this book was in 2004, & when I heard it was available for Kindle I was so happy. It took me 2 days to finish reading it. The storyline was really good. I love Malcolm, he sound so smooth & sexy. I am so glad I purchased this book I can't wait to read the MAINTENANCE MAN 2.
Yashari Glenn
Not the worst or the best

Well, I didn't dislike this book, but I think the name should be changed to maintenance men. The story is not focused on one character, but many. The story was a little all over the place and it felt rushed towards the end to tie all of the side stories together. Not the worst but not the best either. Not sure if I will read part 2.
T'Laina D.
Aug 29, 2013 T'Laina D. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful read! When I was 20 or 21 (maybe 19), I read this book and was estactic b/c I was now reading a BIG GIRL book. Of course back then, being so young, I was BLOWN away by the content in this novel, now I'm 28 and way more estactic. My rereading this has shown me different things about life and relationships. GOOD READ :)
Oct 26, 2015 Teri rated it did not like it
Typical urban novel. This is worse than a Tyler Perry movie. Trashy individuals doing trashy things that you can see are going to come to a trashy end. Vulgar, forced dialogue, and no real connections or plot base. This book has the depth of a sippy cup.
Tru Royalty
Jun 25, 2013 Tru Royalty rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book it was turly a page turner and although there were sad parts the moments were all invented for growth. I just can't believe Malcom and Toni didn't make it hence Maintenance Man II :-) Next on the list. Also reading Men Cry in the dark. Happy readings everyone.
Leslie Ferdinand
Apr 09, 2012 Leslie Ferdinand rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed reading about Malcolm and how he evolved. However, I wish Teddy's end had been different. He shouldn't have gotten off so easy. He needed to hang around and face the consequences of his actions for a few years.
Oct 25, 2012 LeReese rated it it was ok
The book was disappointing. It seemed to be a black man's 007. A gigolo, a navy seal, club owner and a gigolo manager was a bit too much. It was not well written. Malcolm was over the top and the plot was too predictable.
Jan 05, 2010 Lis rated it did not like it
A waste of time. Filled with negative stereotypes of pathetic, lonely single women and arrogant, macho, single men...or man. Sadly, my bookclub read the hardback version when it first came out. Almost $30 down the drain. I really wanted to like it.
Shannan Harper
Aug 18, 2014 Shannan Harper rated it really liked it
This was a story about a man, Michael who is a high priced escort, the drama that he deals with, and him falling in love. I enjoyed the story, and it also gave some insights that was not in the play version.
A'Sian Dotson
Apr 20, 2013 A'Sian Dotson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book. I read it in about two days. A page turner for sure. No spoilers. I got it for free on my Kindle Fire after Michael Baisden announced it on his radio show. May still be free but worth the price.
Monica Lehman
Jun 19, 2008 Monica Lehman rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: all of my friends
Recommended to Monica by: Ivonne
It is a fun read and as much as you laugh you see a lot of truisms in there. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Apr 02, 2013 Deedria rated it liked it
Overall I liked the book. This is the first book that I have read by Michael Baisden and to be such a well known Speaker, I expected that this book would be better written.
  • Baby Momma Drama
  • Soulmates Dissipate (Soulmates Dissipate, #1)
  • Any Way the Wind Blows
  • Friends and Lovers
  • Flyy Girl (Flyy Girl, #1)
  • B-More Careful: Meow Meow Productions Presents
  • Casting the First Stone (Reverend Curtis Black, #1)
  • The Million Dollar Divorce
When it comes to entertaining, enlightening and educating, no one in talk radio compares to Michael Baisden. His high-octane energy and love for interacting with his listeners is just one reason for the popularity and success of The Michael Baisden Show. The Bad Boy ignites heated discussions with explosive episodic themes like: Living Your Dream, Your Body Is Your Temple, and Pimps In The Pulpit. ...more
More about Michael Baisden...

“pain always feels brand new no matter how much experience you've had with it!” 18 likes
“it could all be so simple, but you'd rather make it hard, lovin you is like a battle, and we both end up with scars, tell me who i have to be, to get some reciprocity..” 11 likes