Start by marking “Men Cry in the Dark” as Want to Read:
Men Cry in the Dark

Men Cry in the Dark

4.09  ·  Rating Details ·  3,729 Ratings  ·  70 Reviews

Tony was an unredeemable ladies' man until Tracie caught his heart. But will his conniving ex, Valarie, let them live happily ever after?

Any woman would be lucky to have Benjamin. But his weakness fo
Published August 7th 2001 by Touchstone Books (first published July 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Men Cry in the Dark, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Men Cry in the Dark

Jul 12, 2012 Christa rated it did not like it
I remember when Baisden sold books out of his trunk. I'm not hating on him because he was trying his hand in entrepreneurship, but writing is not for him. He's better now as a radio jockey. He wrote this book at a time when AA's wanted books about their culture and way of life. The wave of baby momma drama and the escapism of the thugged-out dark skin brotha' who rocked your world gave many writers of this era (i.e Eric Jerome Dickey, Carl Weber, Zane, and E. Lynn Harris) the arena needed to thr ...more
Euftis Emery
Jul 13, 2010 Euftis Emery rated it did not like it
Use the following link to watch the video review:

Why is it so hard for me to keep my eyes open??????

Ummmm....probably because this book is tedious to read... The only reason that I bothered to finish it was because I made the mistake in purchasing it.

Other reviewers called the male characters in his book "one dimensional", to me they read like they were on the downlow. Call me a homophob all you want, but I ain't huggin' up on another man and definitely no
Oct 08, 2013 The78ms.j rated it really liked it
At first I didn't know what to expect but as I read the book I got pulled into the story lines of each character. I think that this book will give some a insight into how men think and feel about most common situations revolving around dating.

It touches on men who date younger women who have nothing going for them but their hot young bodies, it touches on interracial dating, on dating and having a baby momma from hell and it touches on meeting the women of your dreams and not realizing it and l
Dec 01, 2011 Constance rated it it was ok
I read this book years ago when I was a teen. Back then I thought it was one the most poignant things I had ever picked up. Well, I’m older and wiser now. Since I’m old enough to understand true adult relationships I can see that this book is, for the lack of a better term, mostly drivel. It’s not that bad of a read, it’ll keep you interested enough to want to know how it ends. But it’s an acquired taste. If you like your literature filled with African-American romance, drama, ballers, baby moth ...more
Dec 04, 2008 Lmackey rated it really liked it
This book indeed shows the feelings of men; especially Black men. Black men are told to be hard, don't cry, and never show emotions no matter what. This man was going through some deep issues and due to the lack of emotion or feelings; he lived a misguided life. I recommend this book to all men. I even went to see the play; GREAT!!
The secret is out: Men have issues too! Derrick has a thriving business, good looks, and charisma to spare, but his success seems empty without a special lady to share it with. Tony was an unredeemable ladies' man until Tracie caught his heart. But will his conniving ex, Valerie, let them live happily ever after? Any woman would be lucky to have Benjamin. But his weakness for young women has only made him a target for gold diggers in search of a sugar daddy. Will he ever find true love? And, fin ...more
Oct 10, 2013 Stacie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an excellent book. The male characters were likeable and the story flowed nicely. Could not put it down!

Shay Young
This book gave me an inside look at how men really feel. I showed me that not all men are heard hearted.
Jan 12, 2013 SR W rated it did not like it
Just awful, but I don't really like Urban lit. It was selected by a book club I belonged to.
Aug 05, 2011 Coco♥Chanel~Uncens★red~ rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-reading
I tried so hard to get into this, because I saw the play. But nope, couldn't do it!
Winter Sophia Rose
Dec 25, 2014 Winter Sophia Rose rated it it was amazing
Insightful, Emotional, Captivating Page-Turner!
Jeannette Amehou
Definitly a must
I recommend it
Jessica Ann
Mar 30, 2016 Jessica Ann rated it it was amazing
What I love about this book is that it isnt your traditional love story- We are always talking about, living, hearing about, reading, and watching black women struggle with the fact that there are very few good "black men" out there for us to pursue but what about the men-what about what they want? need? experience as a whole? Its interesting to read from a different perspective. And nor does this story have your traditional love story ending-but you will have to read it to find out won't you... ...more
Nov 20, 2008 Eric2012 rated it it was amazing
Do you know men that cry in the dark? Did you now that there was a book like named .Men Cry in the Dark: A Novel. by Michael Basden. Don’t let the name confuse you this book has complexity, mature scenes, and betrayals that happen.

The first reason that I like the book it is complexes. The book has to do with 4 different points of view. 4 different lives that you have to do. You have to read David’s life about him and his relationship, with Angela and him cheating on her. Michael relationship wh
Evan B
Jun 24, 2016 Evan B rated it really liked it
This book was a good read really. If I could give it the most honest rating I would say probably 3 and a half stars.
The book is kind of like Waiting to Exhale told from a guy perspective (kind of).
Its not as deep as I thought it would be, the chapters were a little inconsistent as well.
HOWEVER......the characters were good, the plot was relatable, and the dialogue was very funny at times.
I would say this book is a good read for another perspective and to pass the time.
Anissa Byrd
The was a great depiction of men who accomplished but are searching for love. Emotions fly and we find out that men cry about relationships as well as women.

Michael Baisden illustrates his version of what a man/woman should be in a relationship, accomplished, equal, and striving for excellence.

When the relationship goes bad, we see the struggles and why it went bad.

Great read!
Jo Notary
Feb 15, 2016 Jo Notary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
293p Men Cry In The Dark is an entertaining and realistic novel about fatherhood, interracial dating, and the fear of love and commitment from a man 19s perspective. Michael Baisden has courageously defied the stereotypes to prove once and for all that men love their children, cherish their women, and yes, even cry.
Karunakaran N.
Men Cry In The Dark by Michael Baisden... A good read written by the author on the relationship of men, predominantly inter racial and races within the US. Four successful African Americans and friends for lifetime in their mid 30's enter into relationships that are short-lived proving that friendship last longer than any other relationships.....
Dominica Jones
Sep 10, 2016 Dominica Jones rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

This was a really good read. It drew me in at the very beginning! I really loved the fact of how real it was, and I'm sure for some people it hit close to home.
Juanita goodlow
Apr 27, 2015 Juanita goodlow rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Good read

I read this book less than a is really a good book enjoyed every minute reading it.most books you can't get into but this one was truly good...
Annette Maria Jackson
Men cry in the dark

I give Michael's book five stars.
Thank you for educating me on the mind of men and also confirming that they can change and all men are not dogse
Karimah Grayson
Jan 03, 2015 Karimah Grayson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michael Baisden did a great job sharing how men feels in different situations. Many times women are so hard on men without knowing or appreciating their feelings. Great read.
Shatika Turner
Dec 03, 2014 Shatika Turner rated it liked it
The ending should have been stronger. The story line was too good not to tell us where everyone left off. There are too many unanswered questions.
Apr 18, 2016 Rachel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love this book it had the drama,the romance and it was funny!!! Love Michael Baisden books!!!
May 01, 2014 Lori added it
loved it!
Heather Bowden
Dec 03, 2013 Heather Bowden rated it it was ok
This book is a fiction book about "brotherhood" it follows four lives of black men. I would use this book to talk about characters. In this book you have to relate to 4 different feelings to reach each character in the book. This is a drama and the book was filled with it. I think the author did this well, so I would use this book to talk about incorporating multiple characters into one story. And allowing the reader to have the view point for all of them.
Nov 25, 2013 Destiny rated it it was amazing
This was a really good book. It touched on so many things with relationships. I enjoyed reading about the bond between the friends. I really enjoyed seeing the relationships with the males and females grow. He was brutally honest about why men cheat and I appreciated that aspect. LIfe is about growth and I got to see these characters grow. This is the second book by Michael Baisden that I've read. I will continue to read his books. Well done Mr. Baisden.
Apr 27, 2016 Cathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed the book. It was a fast read actually but I was reading a few other books at the same time. It was one of the few books by Michael B I hadn't read. I liked that the book was written from a male point of view. It gave me some insight to the male psyche. I am wondering though if there is a sequel because a few issues were not tied up.
Kathryn Chapman
Aug 27, 2014 Kathryn Chapman rated it it was amazing
Very good book read it along time ago . When it first came out .
Lord' Williams
May 17, 2009 Lord' Williams rated it it was amazing
This book was a page tuner. This book actually brought me back to reading fiction, a genre which I had abandon many years prior. It was just that good. At first I thought it was a chick book, but once I started reading, it was any but a chick book. I really could not put the book down, a great book for male readers, and the topic is something every man thinks about.
Available as a kindle Freebie!! 2/21/13 2 13 Feb 21, 2013 04:26PM
  • A Love of My Own
  • Friends and Lovers
  • Married Men
  • Sisters & Lovers
  • Soulmates Dissipate (Soulmates Dissipate, #1)
  • Good Hair
  • The Million Dollar Divorce
  • Scenes from a Sistah
  • Lil Mama's Rules
  • Tryin' to Sleep in the Bed You Made
  • A Do Right Man
  • Disappearing Acts
When it comes to entertaining, enlightening and educating, no one in talk radio compares to Michael Baisden. His high-octane energy and love for interacting with his listeners is just one reason for the popularity and success of The Michael Baisden Show. The Bad Boy ignites heated discussions with explosive episodic themes like: Living Your Dream, Your Body Is Your Temple, and Pimps In The Pulpit. ...more
More about Michael Baisden...

“those who fail to plan, plan to fail!” 9 likes
“Education is the key,” he drilled into me. “Those who fail to plan, plan to fail.” 1 likes